Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

When I was a little boy my friend once briefly convinced me that hadoukens were real, and that they taught him how to do one at karate class.

edit: that's kind of a video game hoax, right?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

pw pw pw posted:

When I was a little boy my friend once briefly convinced me that hadoukens were real, and that they taught him how to do one at karate class.

Hadoukens are real, they're just invisible. Psyballs, man, google them. Open you mind, man!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

pw pw pw posted:

The best kind.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

"If you beleive, keep beleiving. Dont let others tell you anything else. If you dont, it is your right. I somwwhat beleive. THe choice is yours."

:3:

Wild Bill Hiccup
Mar 27, 2010
Someone needs to make that Killswitch game

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Wild Bill Hiccup posted:

Someone needs to make that Killswitch game

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

21stCentury posted:

Not as insane, but... eh

Also, notice how the Caterpie/Metapod line has spines/horns, just like venomoth!

Incredible!

There's a line of dragon-types that goes Bagon -> Shellgon -> Salamence, and another that goes Trapinch -> Vibrava -> Flygon. They make a point in Bagon's dex entries how much it wants to fly, which it can do once it reaches its last evolution.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Silentman0 posted:

There's a line of dragon-types that goes Bagon -> Shellgon -> Salamence, and another that goes Trapinch -> Vibrava -> Flygon. They make a point in Bagon's dex entries how much it wants to fly, which it can do once it reaches its last evolution.

Too bad Flygon looks nothing like a salamander whereas Salamence does.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Doc Hawkins posted:

The best kind.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/weekend-web/digimon-do-exist.php

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

haha, this weekend web featured people who believed in Digimon AND people who believed in Hadoukens.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

21stCentury posted:

Too bad Flygon looks nothing like a salamander whereas Salamence does.

Okay? I wasn't necessarily implying that they were swapped completely. Maybe they gave Flygon its name first and when they got to what was going to be Salamence they went "wait... gently caress."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

Okay? I wasn't necessarily implying that they were swapped completely. Maybe they gave Flygon its name first and when they got to what was going to be Salamence they went "wait... gently caress."
Pokemon have different names in the japanese release so I don't see how this could have happened.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Endorph posted:

Pokemon have different names in the japanese release so I don't see how this could have happened.
Flygon's name is the same in Japanese, as it happens. The Bagon line... not so much (Not sure what they were going for with "Boomander", honestly).

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

renart posted:

I remember spreading a very tame Mario 64 Playable Luigi rumor when talking to a childhood friend of mine. I basically told him that it could be done by pressing all of the buttons on the N64 controller while standing outside the castle (creative, I know). I say it's "very tame" because some of the other Luigi rumors I've read here are comparatively quite cruel, mine could've been evaluated in seconds, especially since he had a brother who could help him hold down the buttons.

I moved away and, gradually, wound up falling out of touch with this friend. Years later, I found him again through the magic of Facebook and was quite excited to get in touch with him - he had been a close friend for many years in grade school! In our second "reunion" chat, he said "[Renart], you seemed like kind of a liar, honestly." "What?" "You told me this trick in Mario 64 about getting Luigi, my brother and I kept trying it and it didn't work."

Moral of the story? Don't spread gaming rumors, they can become the ONE THING people remember of you years down the road.

I think the most creative Luigi rumor I heard was one that said he wasn't playable, but if you beat the game a certain way he would make a cameo in the ending cutscene. Somehow that just felt a lot more believable to me as a kid.

bobaclone
Jul 5, 2005
Hope this hasn't been posted, I'm on page 43.

Anyone remember the Nintendo Revo? It was in the days JUST before we were given our first glimpse of the new Nintendo Wii at E3. I'm not sure where I first saw this video posted (maybe in the SA forums?)but I for one didn't know what to think. The video was so well done that my younger, more gullible self believed it at first.

I remember that during E3 that year, people were dissecting every tiny little thing Reggie and Iwata were saying during their speeches and turning it into a conspiracy theory that was supposed to end with the reveal of the Revo.

I'm not sure who actually made the video but obviously it turned out to be a fake.

Here's a youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cbdJeE-x6E

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I thought "Revolution" was the development codename for the Wii.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

I thought "Revolution" was the development codename for the Wii.

It was, but that was publicly known and appropriated by whoever made that video.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobaclone posted:

Here's a youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cbdJeE-x6E

I completely bought into it when I saw the video until I saw the toaster they were selling as the new console.

Liverace
Nov 8, 2010

xX ~~ <3 ~~ Xx

Lone Rogue posted:

I completely bought into it when I saw the video until I saw the toaster they were selling as the new console.

I bought into it only because nintendo made underwhelming products at the time, and the video delivered on that.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The thing that stuck out at me was that Nintendo wouldn't use abbreviated names in an official release type of thing.

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010
So, what the verdict on that Secret of Evermore article? Total bullshit?

Also, this was posted in the comments section of that article:

quote:

Noah said...

Regarding this post:

I discovered this linked from Something Awful. I've never played Secret of Evermore, but I found your theories about it very interesting, particularly the parts about Ed Kann. Or, rather, his piece, 'The Noise Coming from Inside Children'. A few people in the thread seemed perplexed that a Google search for the story didn't pull anything up and assumed it was a hoax as a result.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, maybe), I know for a fact that the story is real. I'm fond of collecting small-run magazines- mostly based on music or fiction. I remember a story of this title from a particularly obscure one; however, I've never heard an author name attached to it. All the pieces in this particular magazine were credited anonymously, and frankly I have no idea where it came from, as I got it in a bulk buy off Ebay several years back.

You're not kidding when you say it's a disturbing piece; above and beyond how bizarre and shocking the content is, there's something distinctly... upsetting about it. It's one of the more distressing stories in a magazine that was already waaaay on the fringe of 'normal' literature, and I think getting a look at it might be useful to gaining a bit of insight on the game and its odd history.

I don't have a scanner, but if you or others are interested, I might be able to type it up for you. Bear in mind that I'm a slow typist and this was a rather blearily printed publication. Drop me a line if you might want to see it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I mean that comment is obviously a lie but at the same time I would love to see some goon;s impression of a story from a fringe literary magazine

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SpeedofLife posted:

Er, isn't this thread the very place it started? :psyduck:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

SpeedofLife posted:

I'm pretty sure it is total bullshit, but I buy into the idea that the game was once planned to be much more darker with bigger boss fights throughout but they ran out of Megabits and either didn't feel like telling the same story or were told to cut things back.

The Noises coming from inside Children is a bad-rear end title, though. That's the sort of thing that sends shivers down your spine.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

That's the sort of thing a high school garage band names one of their lovely songs.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

raditts posted:

That's the sort of thing a high school garage band names one of their lovely songs.

The high school bands I knew when I was in high school usually named their songs "Vicious Rage" and "Solemn Endings" and if they leaned toward emo, it was always metaphors that didn't make sense and titles that are way too long (which is authentic to the genre).

Actually, I just grabbed a CD from my friends band back in 2002. The best name for a song is "Gray Street". The worst name for a song is "Lies you knew were true".

Maybe you knew more creative high schoolers.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Screamo songs are the worst. We had a local scremo band with a song titled "The Great Mouse Detective". :suicide:

On-topic: I recall tons of "Aeris can be revived" stories back in elementary school. Also ones to get Rufus and the Turks to join your party. I wish that one was true. :(

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Lone Rogue posted:

The Noises coming from inside Children is a bad-rear end title, though. That's the sort of thing that sends shivers down your spine.
You are the reason these stories get written.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Orzo posted:

You are the reason these stories get written.

Hey, you can like the title and not be a Hyper-Gulliboid.

I also have to agree that high school song titles are either blatant offensive/sexual puns or awful-sounding angst for the most part. Actually, I suppose in this intense new decade in which we have now arrived, it is possible that they have moved on to somehow-unsettling-phrases. But I figure they are more likely to have moved on to things like "Tender Systematic Love 9,000" or "!!!!"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lone Rogue posted:

I knew it was fake as soon as I saw that it gave 2002 as the Gamecube's launch year, which was only the case in Europe. This was being sold as a leaked E3 video, so that made no sense.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Quarex posted:

Hey, you can like the title and not be a Hyper-Gulliboid.

I also have to agree that high school song titles are either blatant offensive/sexual puns or awful-sounding angst for the most part. Actually, I suppose in this intense new decade in which we have now arrived, it is possible that they have moved on to somehow-unsettling-phrases. But I figure they are more likely to have moved on to things like "Tender Systematic Love 9,000" or "!!!!"

They're maybe a little more hipsterish, but very little seems to have changed in that regard.

My band has 8 original songs, and they're aaaall about breakups :eng99:

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Eox posted:

My band has 8 original songs, and they're aaaall about breakups :eng99:

Are you Stabbing Westward?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FiddlersThree posted:

Are you Stabbing Westward?

No but I'm stabbing my drummer if he writes another one.

Scratch that, we have six about breakups, one about partying and one about handjobs.

High school! :downs:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Eox posted:

No but I'm stabbing my drummer if he writes another one.

Scratch that, we have six about breakups, one about partying and one about handjobs.

High school! :downs:

Do any of the songs start to rhyme and by the second verse the rhyming just stops?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Eox posted:

...and one about handjobs.
"Ain't Nuthin' Wrong With an Old-Fashioned"

Content: Another good FFIV urban legend I heard of, thought don't remember confirming or not: the 8^2 curse. I read this in the Ogopogo Examiner, which was a newsletter that Square put out at the time. It said that if you entered and exited a door 64 times in a row, the game would freeze and delete all of your save files. I never tried it, because I was terrified of losing my save data.

I also thought that WarMech was an urban legend for a while, but (unfortunately) I found him.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Keep the thread alive!

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 23, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

betterinsodapop posted:

"Ain't Nuthin' Wrong With an Old-Fashioned"

Content: Another good FFIV urban legend I heard of, thought don't remember confirming or not: the 8^2 curse. I read this in the Ogopogo Examiner, which was a newsletter that Square put out at the time. It said that if you entered and exited a door 64 times in a row, the game would freeze and delete all of your save files. I never tried it, because I was terrified of losing my save data.

I also thought that WarMech was an urban legend for a while, but (unfortunately) I found him.

I don't know how you could have played through FF1 and not known Warmech was real. That thing was a loving nightmare.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I've never ran into Warmech. Ever.

Granted I've only done that dungeon once on the old NES but I never encountered him.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

raditts posted:

I don't know how you could have played through FF1 and not known Warmech was real. That thing was a loving nightmare.
The chances of running into it were only 1 in 64 for each battle you entered on that bridge. I tried unsuccessfully to find it for a while. When I finally did, it completely destroyed my party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I knew about the WarMech because Final Fantasy came out with that beastiary map.

I also remember when my dad found it. It scared the poo poo out of him and me.