Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can someone post a quick little guide on using Titanium backup well? Basically I'm unsure how to just have it restore things like applications and their settings vs. system settings that I don't necessarily WANT being restored. I've experienced an issue where my wifi tether was hosed, I reinstalled a ROM, wifi tether worked, and after doing a Tibackup restore the wifi settings got rewritten or something and nothing I could do would make it work again. Essentially I just want to understand how best restore the applications, their settings, and the data they store, along with things like email and SMS, versus the ENTIRE settings of the phone, which seems to cause issues at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Along the same subject of ShaneB's questions, here's a trip report on my attemp to clone my Droid2 to a replacement.

Backed up the old phone (apps+system data), and activated the new one. Grabbed TB from the market and restored everything to the replacement phone.

This appeared to work, until I started getting a notification of a" motorola services account error". Clicking the alert told me the account was associated with another phone and I should call customer service to reset it. Some googling pointed out that TB will cause that by restoring something it shouldn't and the solution is to restore apps+data and not the system data.

I wiped the phone and tried it again, this time with apps+data only. I wanted to restore the sms/call log too, so I restored a few things that seemed to be related to that, only to end up with the same issue. I'm guessing one of the things I restored from the system is what triggered the problem.

I bought the pro version this morning, I'll give it another shot tonight to see if I can figure it out. TB did a great job of restoring my apps, if I can figure out how to get my call history and sms data I'll be all set.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

At this point it's too late, but try SMS Backup+ from the market. It auto backs up your SMS, MMS and Call Logs to Gmail/GCal, and can restore them if you really need them on your phone instead of in the cloud.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city
Welp, finally got the phone working again, but when I tried applying a lagfix via enhanced clockworkmod it apparently screwed up the file system somehow. I get a screen full of errors about trying to mount etc. (it scrolls past so fast can't make much of it), then the phone reboots and the same thing happens. Can't access recovery or download mode. Does anyone have ideas or did I manage the (almost) impossible, bricking my phone?

Binary
May 21, 2004
I just perma rooted my G2, can I safely uninstall the Visionary program and keep root?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

For all two of us with a MyTouch Slide, S-OFF was released today.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Holy poo poo......it took half a year for you guys to get S-OFF? I'm sorry

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

travisray2004 posted:

It's not bad for a mid-range Android phone on the smallest major carrier in the U.S. I haven't really missed S-OFF. I could still get into ClockWork via test-keys recovery. The only thing I've encountered where I wish I had S-OFF was TypeFresh.

At least the Slide, a mid-range Android phone on the smallest major carrier has CM6. The Galaxy S does not. :smug:

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Binary posted:

I just perma rooted my G2, can I safely uninstall the Visionary program and keep root?

Yeah. No need for visionary now.

Binary
May 21, 2004

candy for breakfast posted:

Yeah. No need for visionary now.

Cool, anyone know how to make the trackpad wake the phone? I found a gscript on xda but it didn't work for me.

Edit: how do I turn off the haptic feedback when unlocking the phone? I disabled it in settings and it stops it everywhere else.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

BTW, why is this so great?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Sizzlechest posted:

BTW, why is this so great?

It isn't necessary for most users but it basically allows you to install new radios and splash screens.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

It isn't necessary for most users but it basically allows you to install new radios and splash screens.

I installed a new radio without S-OFF. Before someone posts a lmgtfy link, I know what it is and does, I just don't know why I want to risk bricking the phone since it's already rooted and running custom firmware.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Typical "I visit this thread once a month and don't want to read ten pages" question: Is there any options for people who want to use Gingerbread on a rooted N1 that are semi-stable for daily use? When I see today that Gingerbread has slowly trickled down to the Droid Eris of all things, I figured it was time to ask.

I see a lot of people talking about CM7, but no proof that it actually exists. Are the nightlies on Gingerbread or something?

EDIT: Okay, I see this thread on XDA. I'm thinking of installing this but two things come to mind:

1) I'm running a lot of apps off the SD in CM6.1 that don't support copying to SD. This is because I'm such an app whore that my phone would explode otherwise. If I replace CM with this new OS, do I have to wipe, and does the Google cloud-based restore try to install everyone on my phone memory and create "not enough room" errors that creep my phone to a crawl?

2) Along the same lines, I wish I knew what this meant:

quote:

Darktremors Apps2SD is now in ROM also!

Darktremors Apps2SD is either activated from the Terminal app, or ADB commands.
Its best to use ext3 on your SD Card.

DT Commands:
*a2db shell ("su" in Terminal Emulator)
*a2sd check
*a2sd reinstall (I usually only use this)
*a2sd zipalign (This is extra if wanted)
*a2sd cachesd (This is extra if wanted)

Any ideas?

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 31, 2010

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

I see a lot of people talking about CM7, but no proof that it actually exists. Are the nightlies on Gingerbread or something?

I don't think any nightlies are out for CM7 but he's definitely working hard on it. Doesn't help that it was released right before the holiday season.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
I guess you can build it from source, but they're holding off on binaries until they can get video recording working.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

quadratic posted:

I guess you can build it from source, but they're holding off on binaries until they can get video recording working.

GingerVillain for Desire is basically CM7 from source.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
For the Evo, someone on xda is compiling CM7 periodically. I'm running it now and liking it so far.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Binary posted:

Cool, anyone know how to make the trackpad wake the phone? I found a gscript on xda but it didn't work for me.

Cyanogen 6.1.x :)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

traslin posted:

For the Evo, someone on xda is compiling CM7 periodically. I'm running it now and liking it so far.

Which recovery are you using? I've read a few reports that Clockwork has potential problems with CM7 and other Gingerbread ROMs, so I haven't bothered to test it out yet. Something about ext4.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

deong posted:

I'd suggest flashing via ADB. It's simple once adb is set up.
Here is the instructions for an Evo 4g. It's from Aug 28.. but it appears to be the newest.

That link says I need to be nand unlocked. I am rooted with clockwork recovery, but I still have s-on. Am I good to go, or do I need to get s-off?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

wolrah posted:

Which recovery are you using? I've read a few reports that Clockwork has potential problems with CM7 and other Gingerbread ROMs, so I haven't bothered to test it out yet. Something about ext4.

I was using Clockwork, but my nandroid backups kept getting corrupted so I switched to Amon RA. But I don't think the corruptions had anything to do with gingerbread though. Clockwork was able to flash the gingerbread rom and gapps without issue for me the couple of times I did it.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

wolrah posted:

I'm using Amon Ra and it's not giving me any issues with the unofficial CM7 build floating around xda.

So far I've had one random reboot, but after disabling wifi sleep it hasn't rebooted since. Other than that, it's been smooth as butter.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Casao posted:

At this point it's too late, but try SMS Backup+ from the market. It auto backs up your SMS, MMS and Call Logs to Gmail/GCal, and can restore them if you really need them on your phone instead of in the cloud.

It wasn't too late actually - the first phone they sent me had a messed up screen so they sent me another one. I ended up having to redo the entire thing.

I tried SMS Backup+ and it worked for restoring my text messages. It didn't back up my call history for whatever reason, but I managed to get that with Titanium Backup.

I think I've got most everything moved over from my old phone. I've got a few days to return it, so I'll make sure everything is current and then dump the backup files to an archive in case I forgot something and realize it a couple months down the road.

By selectively restoring stuff with Titanium Backup, I think I've avoided the problem I had before with the Motorola Account Services error. I am thinking now that it has something to do with restoring the email app because that is handled through Motorola some how evidently. I noticed that when I set up my (non Gmail) account on it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Binary posted:

You may want to go ahead and do gfree (you can do it after a visionary root) - in addition to permaroot/s-off, it will also sim unlock your phone. Very simple stuff.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=855764

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
OK I got some guts again and rooted my vibrant using the one click method, then last night I installed rom manager and installed clockworkmod, backed up my phone and installed Blackhole 1.0, which works great except vibrate does not work for some reason. I want to try a different rom but inside of the ROM manager when I go to new rom it says Error processing ROM list. Can I still download ROMs to my SD card and boot into recovery and update.zip? Did I just waste $5?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

wolrah posted:

Cyanogen mentioned that the ext4 warning doesn't apply to the EVO as it uses yaffs2, he primarily mentioned that for G2 users.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

is it a common problem to not be able to root an Epic with z4root if you're using that un-finalized froyo build?

Mine gets to "aquiring root shell" then vibrates a couple times and dumps back to the homescreen. I needs me some free wi-fi tether until I get a wireless router for my drat nookcolor. I'm not sure what else to use at this point to root it since everything I look for says to use z4root.

eta: it helps to read the OP again, doesn't it? That new one-click root worked like a charm the 2nd time around. (failed the first time but hey, and the batch hung the 2nd time but resumed when I ctrl-c'ed it and said "n" KEEP TRYING DAMMIT).

Telex fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 1, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
OK now my Vibrant is stuck at the SAMSUNG VIBRANT screen. I hope I didn't brick it.

I tried to restore my system with clockwork. I have 2 different backups.

I restored the backup using Clockwork, it took a while. Then I wiped then rebooted...this is the correct sequence?

It just came to the Samsung Vibrant screen and is stuck there.

I did this a few times, now I can't get it to reboot in recovery mode at all.

b0nes fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 2, 2011

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
Can anyone tell me why ##778# doesn't work in my CM6 and if there is some other way to get to that menu? I disabled Dialer Pro and Google Voice just to make sure it wasn't one of them, and still no luck.

crunchsixfoe
Apr 5, 2003

Hya, ha, ha!
I just rooted my Samsung Galaxy 5 (i5500) and I was wondering what a recommended ROM would be to use?

Secret Agent
May 19, 2006
You ain't seen me, right?

b0nes posted:

OK now my Vibrant is stuck at the SAMSUNG VIBRANT screen. I hope I didn't brick it.

I restored the backup using Clockwork, it took a while. Then I wiped then rebooted...this is the correct sequence?

Wait, what are you wiping? Just try restoring a backup then rebooting. If you can still get to recovery you've no real danger of bricking it so don't worry about that.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Secret Agent posted:

Wait, what are you wiping? Just try restoring a backup then rebooting. If you can still get to recovery you've no real danger of bricking it so don't worry about that.
That's what i did originally. It just hung on the boot screen. I remember back in the day when I did it on my G1, you guys wou,d say you have to wipe so I figured that is what i missed. It won't go into recovery mode anymore.

Secret Agent
May 19, 2006
You ain't seen me, right?
Was going to suggest wiping Dalvik cache (in clockworkmod advanced options) but if you can't even get to recovery then I'm out of ideas I'm afraid :-/

Edit: Meant to say, wiping means deleting data and cache from clockwordmod, then restoring a backup or installing a fresh ROM. That's my understanding anyway, worked for me going from Sense to Cyanogenmod, though I remember finding clarification on what wiping meant was more difficult than I thought it should have been.

Secret Agent fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 3, 2011

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like there's a new version of Amon Ra for the Evo. 2.1.1. There are a bunch of changes, but what people are probably going to care most about are that it supports the new partition layout for people with new phones/bootloaders and that you don't have to have zip files in the root of your SD card any more. You can actually flash them from subdirectories.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just flash a desire based android rom to a HC HD2. Does anyone know how to backup/"ghost" the install?

When I am on Cyanogenmod I use ROM Manager to make backup and restore. But I am not on ClockworkMod anymore.

I wouldn't want to ask the question here if xda let new users post reply. Sigh.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
The new MIUI has been ported to the G2/DesireZ. By far, the most enjoyable rom I've used so far. So many good ideas. I'll probably switch to CM7 when it's final, but for now, this is far better than anything on CM6.x.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871344

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

b0nes posted:

Flash the latest firmware from t-mobile using ODIN. Presuming there are no hardware issues this should fix anything you encounter. There are plenty of guides on xda developers on how to do this.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Civil posted:

The new MIUI has been ported to the G2/DesireZ.

MIUI is one of the best roms I've used for the Droid. They update all the time and my battery life is the best it has ever been for any rom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Civil posted:

The new MIUI has been ported to the G2/DesireZ. By far, the most enjoyable rom I've used so far. So many good ideas. I'll probably switch to CM7 when it's final, but for now, this is far better than anything on CM6.x.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871344

Dim, Tired, and Elderly posted:

MIUI is one of the best roms I've used for the Droid. They update all the time and my battery life is the best it has ever been for any rom.

:smuggo:

12/31 has a few of the new UI elements, like half of the new Music UI. Looks like a slow roll out by February.