Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

WorkingStiff posted:

power options, Device Manager

In power options, the only thing I've disabled has to do with PCI-E, and I haven't touched the Wireless Adapter Setting since I don't use wireless. I just disabled the setting in Device Manager so I'll see if that helps.

rolleyes posted:

Apple

I do use iTunes and an iPod on this pc. Bonjour is hanging in here somewhere.

ilkhan posted:

msconfig

The only thing on Startup Apple-related is iTunes and QuickTime, which were both already disabled. The only things left on are Microsoft Security Client, Logitech SetPoint, Catalyst CC, and Razer application for the keyboard.

Thank you all for your help, I'll play around with the computer after it sleeps a few times today to see if the problem is still there or if the Device Manager setting did the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rekkit posted:

And to make things more incovenient, I have to disconnect the cable from the computer itself because the problem remains if I do it at the router.

That is definitely odd.

My guess is a fcuked cable or socket, since a software issue would not care which end of the cable you unplugged.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I am going to be building a new PC soon, and I want to put Windows 7 on it. I qualify to get the upgrade version really cheaply because I'm a student, but I'd have to pay full price for the full version. I have Windows XP on my current PC, does that give me the right to install Windows 7 on my new one using the upgrade version and one of the workarounds linked in the OP? Would they even work for a brand new system?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I am going to be building a new PC soon, and I want to put Windows 7 on it. I qualify to get the upgrade version really cheaply because I'm a student, but I'd have to pay full price for the full version. I have Windows XP on my current PC, does that give me the right to install Windows 7 on my new one using the upgrade version and one of the workarounds linked in the OP? Would they even work for a brand new system?

This bit from the OP should cover all your questions bout the XP license on your current PC and using it with a Windows 7 upgrade on the new one:

quote:

- If you buy an upgrade edition, you MUST have a licensed copy of either Windows XP or Windows Vista.
- If the OS you're upgrading from is an OEM version (came with your computer and has a COA sticker on the case), you MUST install the Windows 7 upgrade to the computer it was originally installed on. No transfers, you play by the same rules as the OEM version of the original OS.
- Purchasing an OEM edition can only be done with an accompanying hardware purchase (I believe that officially, the hardware must consist of motherboard + processor as a bare minimum). That OEM edition can then only be installed on that particular hardware. The Windows 7 OEM license can be purchased up to three months following the hardware purchase. The COA sticker must be affixed to the case the hardware is installed in.
- Once upgraded, you may NOT install the previous OS license to another machine or sell that license (eBay sales are shut down frequently for this very reason). You also can't have any form of dual-boot or virtual machine configuration; only one OS or the other can be installed at a given time. Downgrading is allowed, but the Windows 7 installation must be removed. Those wishing to dual boot will have to buy a Full version.
- Upgrades must be for the same base language as the OS being upgraded (i.e. you can only upgrade an English OS to an English version of Windows 7).

Basically, if the old PC has an OEM copy of XP (either because it's a Dell/HP/whatever or because you bought the OEM copy when you built it), then that license is tied to the old PC and you need the full version of 7 for the new one. Otherwise, you're fine as long as you uninstall XP from the old PC since you'll be using it plus the upgrade on the new one.

As far as using the upgrade media with the new PC goes, that shouldn't be a problem. I did a clean install about a month ago after getting an SSD using the double install method and it worked perfectly.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

chizad posted:

Basically, if the old PC has an OEM copy of XP (either because it's a Dell/HP/whatever or because you bought the OEM copy when you built it), then that license is tied to the old PC and you need the full version of 7 for the new one. Otherwise, you're fine as long as you uninstall XP from the old PC since you'll be using it plus the upgrade on the new one.

As far as using the upgrade media with the new PC goes, that shouldn't be a problem. I did a clean install about a month ago after getting an SSD using the double install method and it worked perfectly.

Does this mean I need to have the original non-OEM XP disc and the Win7 upgrade disc, and install XP then run the update? Or can I legally install the upgrade without installing XP first by double-installing as long as I own a non-OEM version of XP?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Does this mean I need to have the original non-OEM XP disc and the Win7 upgrade disc, and install XP then run the update? Or can I legally install the upgrade without installing XP first by double-installing as long as I own a non-OEM version of XP?

As long as the copy of XP you have is a retail copy you are legal, and you can install 7 upgrade any way you want. Be it, double install, install and changing a registry key, taking a disk from a old machine, formatting and installing 7 instead or whatever. The only thing he was saying was that you can't take a license from a old Dell and transfer it to a brand new machine, even if that old machine is out of service or is otherwise destroyed.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

From what you're saying it seems to be OK, but I don't have the original XP disc, key or anything, it is just installed on the PC. Will I still be able to install win7 without those? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure :ohdear:

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
if you don't have the disc, install it twice or change the registry key (google paul thurrott windows 7 upgrade if you don't know how) The only thing we are saying is that if your old XP copy is from a OEM machine this won't be legal if this concerns you.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I bought a computer with a pirated Windows 7 on it, and then, not knowing it wasn't legit, I ran Windows Update, so obviously now it's giving me issues. I have a sealed Windows 7 Upgrade box that I got a while ago and never used, is there any way to use the key in it to just make the pirated copy legit without a reinstall?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Droid Washington posted:

I bought a computer with a pirated Windows 7 on it, and then, not knowing it wasn't legit, I ran Windows Update, so obviously now it's giving me issues. I have a sealed Windows 7 Upgrade box that I got a while ago and never used, is there any way to use the key in it to just make the pirated copy legit without a reinstall?

Report it to Microsoft, including who you bought the computer from. They will give you a legit license.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Droid Washington posted:

If your product key is for the same edition of Windows 7 that's installed, just open the system control panel and hit "change product key" at the bottom.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Droid Washington posted:

Flatten and reinstall regardless of what route you take. It's a fair bet that there's other sorts of nastiness installed with the "Windows 7 Ultimate Black Edition R-Type" iso the guy downloaded.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Flatten and reinstall regardless of what route you take. It's a fair bet that there's other sorts of nastiness installed with the "Windows 7 Ultimate Black Edition R-Type" iso the guy downloaded.

I understand the whole NO PIRACY IN HERE but come on, that's plain bullshit. I've never ever seen a pirated OS package floating around ANYWHERE with spyware or adware. The fact is the people who download OSes are obviously savvy enough to install and/or require an OS (the latter meaning they've either wiped a previous install or build their own PC). If anything it's likely that a pirated version of Windows is more flattened than a standard install. Lots of the illegal packages around have been striped down in different ways to remove lots of components that the user might not need.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
How about just avoiding the stupid l33t haxxored riced-out edition of any OS or having "a friend" install Windows and just stick with MD5-checked original Microsoft ISOs that you install yourself?

You shouldn't take the chance on modified system installs. Regardless of how much you trust some unknown, random Internet kid to modify poo poo that you may use to power your system and do all your financial transactions on - that is still very bad practice.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Question -

I've got a Dell OEM Win 7 Professional disk, but it's 32 bit install vs. the 64 bit I had wanted. Can you convert those discs to 64 bit install vs. 32? I know in the non-vendor versions you could do that.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I have a friend who didn't follow my instructions and make a backup first thing when he got his laptop, who now possibly has a virus that trashed his install. Since it then dawned on him to make the restore disks he then decided to make them and then format. Now the only thing he can get into is safe mode and all other accounts are locked.

anyhow, since he's 100 miles away and it's a blizzard, I rather just send him a iso of a OEM copy of windows, but unfortunately I don't have access to anything other than a upgrade copy with the ei.cfg file removed. Is there any way I can further modify this disc to make it OEM so he can properly format and reinstall?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ryokurin posted:

I have a friend who didn't follow my instructions and make a backup first thing when he got his laptop, who now possibly has a virus that trashed his install. Since it then dawned on him to make the restore disks he then decided to make them and then format. Now the only thing he can get into is safe mode and all other accounts are locked.

anyhow, since he's 100 miles away and it's a blizzard, I rather just send him a iso of a OEM copy of windows, but unfortunately I don't have access to anything other than a upgrade copy with the ei.cfg file removed. Is there any way I can further modify this disc to make it OEM so he can properly format and reinstall?

Has he tried doing the double-install trick with the upgrade disc? It'll most likely work without further complications.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I did some research and according to a MVP a retail copy can use a OEM key, only that this will force you to call in the number so I'm sending him a iso to try now. But now it looks like a hardware problem since he said that he can't get XP to install either.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Ryokurin posted:

But now it looks like a hardware problem since he said that he can't get XP to install either.

If it's a newish machine there's probably some sort of driver problem since XP is what, 10 years old now? Trying to install Win95 on something from 2005 would probably not work either.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
True. If it was me I wouldn't have tried, but it's all he has. Its under warranty still so I'm just going to try to get him to call Toshiba on it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ryokurin posted:

I did some research and according to a MVP a retail copy can use a OEM key, only that this will force you to call in the number so I'm sending him a iso to try now.

I'm not saying this will hold true for your friend, but I've never had to make any calls or take any additional steps for the kind of install you're talking about. Win7 installation and activation is quite forgiving, in my experience.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Is there an easier way to toggle my second monitor on and off? Right now I have to right click the desktop, click nVidia control panel, wait for that to load, go to the screens page, check the second screen, click "apply", wait 10 seconds for it to apply, click "accept" in the dialog that pops up, and then close the control panel.

Since I switch my second monitor between two computers by pressing one physical button, the software side is really a pain in my rear end.

Is there a way to have a simple tray app or hotkey do this automatically? Google hasn't turned up anything but AutoIT scripts.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

Magicmat posted:

Is there an easier way to toggle my second monitor on and off?

Win+P

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys

Guerrand posted:

Win+P
Well, sonufabitch, that Windows key is useful for something after all. That's great, thanks!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Magicmat posted:

Well, sonufabitch, that Windows key is useful for something after all. That's great, thanks!

The Windows key has a lot of useful hotkeys. Win+E for Windows Explorer, Win+D to show desktop, Win+L to lock the desktop, Win+F to search, etc.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Toast Museum posted:

The Windows key has a lot of useful hotkeys. Win+E for Windows Explorer, Win+D to show desktop, Win+L to lock the desktop, Win+F to search, etc.

I like/have a habit of Win+R to pull up calc or notepad. Windows key is the best key.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Drox posted:

I like/have a habit of Win+R to pull up calc or notepad. Windows key is the best key.

Just hit windows key and type, win+r is depreciated IMO.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

big mean giraffe posted:

It is, but I admit I still do it out of habit sometimes.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

big mean giraffe posted:

Not really, though, as Win+R opens a static run box, where just typing searches through everything so adds quite a few seconds while windows figures out that 'calc' is a program and not the name of some excel document from the last few days.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

big mean giraffe posted:

It's a habit and also faster if you type faster than the search box searches.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

What iTunes alternative do you guys recommend for syncing an iPod? It's a 4G nano if that matters.

I am getting sick and tired of dealing with iTunes. I just downloaded songbird and while I like its setup so far, it seems the ipod support extension is no loger supported. Is it possible to use songbird for my ipod now?

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

evelynevvie posted:

What iTunes alternative do you guys recommend for syncing an iPod? It's a 4G nano if that matters.

I am getting sick and tired of dealing with iTunes. I just downloaded songbird and while I like its setup so far, it seems the ipod support extension is no loger supported. Is it possible to use songbird for my ipod now?

Personally I use winamp. It works which is about as much as I can say about it. I don't have the largest library or the most detailed one so while I am not necessarily advocating winamp as the end-all be-all, it does work and its not itunes.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Drox posted:

It's a habit and also faster if you type faster than the search box searches.

It's instant on my girlfriend's laptop just now. It doesn't take time if your poo poo's already indexed, which it should be.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Sir Nigel posted:

Personally I use winamp. It works which is about as much as I can say about it. I don't have the largest library or the most detailed one so while I am not necessarily advocating winamp as the end-all be-all, it does work and its not itunes.

I used to use winamp years ago but I finally gave it up because it was so buggy. I couldn't use it to play cd's because it would bug out and freeze up and such. Has it improved?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Foobar2000 has at least one iPod sync plugin. I manage my iPod manually, though, so I can't speak to their quality.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Moved to Windows and Windows software thread

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 12, 2011

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.
I've got a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM disc that I bought for my desktop. I'll be ordering a laptop soon (with the same OS), but the manufacturer does not provide an OS disc. Can I use the old disc with the key from the bottom of the laptop to do a clean Windows reinstall?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

evelynevvie posted:

I used to use winamp years ago but I finally gave it up because it was so buggy. I couldn't use it to play cd's because it would bug out and freeze up and such. Has it improved?

I've used winamp for years and I can say it definitely has improved and can read pretty much anything these days. Never had a problem with it. The custom addons and skins is a nice touch and I really enjoy having online music radio stations directly from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

evelynevvie posted:

Sharepod. Its nice and light-weight (just stick it on the ipod itself and run it off there) i use it all the time on my downstairs computer with my big 160GB classic since i dont have a permanent PC now but still wanna put music on my ipod, and its NEVER messed it up/erased all my poo poo or anything like that :)