Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Taffer posted:

...What? I didn't even talk about 'gaming headsets' in my post, I was talking purely about surround sound. Generally I would say yes, you're often paying more than you should for stuff labeled for 'gaming' but it's not what I was talking about at all.

I was just adding my opinion. Everyone in this thread needs to cool their jets.

New page, new 'tudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Jetsetlemming posted:

I use a USB Microsoft LifeChat headset. Sounds good, good mic. I paid ten dollars for it.
Which version, and was it at discount? I didn't see any frequency info on them, unlike by "beloved" RH-40C.

I have no idea if it can do 7.1 or even 5.1, but I get a vague directional sound with them so it can do stereo at least even when I'm just plugging it into the standard ("green") 3.5 mm speaker and microphone ports.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Chortles posted:

Which version, and was it at discount? I didn't see any frequency info on them, unlike by "beloved" RH-40C.

I have no idea if it can do 7.1 or even 5.1, but I get a vague directional sound with them so it can do stereo at least even when I'm just plugging it into the standard ("green") 3.5 mm speaker and microphone ports.
These:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105209
It doesn't have the frequency info on that page either. But it sounds better than any other headset/earbud/speaker set I've had.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

There's a good headphones thread in A/V Arena too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2387142

May not be obvious as to where it's hiding, I know I had to search a bit to find it.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love my Sennheiser 555s for literally everything. Sure they're not 7.1 pure gaming surround sound elite pro level but they're Sennheiser HD555s.
I just ordered a pair of these to replace my HD497s. The HD497s sound fine but were never very comfortable, and I figured it was about time to switch to a more full-size set of headphones anyway, since that's what I use on my PC 90% of the time.

Everything I've read about the HD555s has said they're very comfortable, and I really hope so because I've had no luck so far with finding a set of comfortable headphones. My ears/head are shaped funny or something, I don't know.

SpartanIV posted:

Just build your own 5.1 headphones like I did :smug:
OK that's pretty cool. How long did that take you?

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 5, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I use a wireless headset my girlfriend bought me because they're wireless and my keyboard and mouse are wireless and i am living in the future

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I use a wireless headset my girlfriend bought me because they're wireless and my keyboard and mouse are wireless and i am living in the future

Heh, I'm still running wired everything even though I have a Core i7 with 12GBs of RAM. I'm still very distrustful of wireless mice.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

RightClickSaveAs posted:

OK that's pretty cool. How long did that take you?
Trying to figure out the existing wiring took like a week then I gave up and tore it all out and rewired it in a more straight forward manner. Other than that only probably 5 hours of assembly time spread out over a few weeks because I had other things going on at the time.

and the only wireless thing I'm running is my mouse. I don't even use wifi :colbert:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I used to use wireless but constantly dropping out and battery warnings sent me running back to wired controls. Even on the PS3 and 360 I'll leave the controllers plugged in while playing so I don't have to worry about the battery. This let me find out that the standard 360 controller is wireless only, while the PS3 controller will switch to wired if you leave it plugged in.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Amrosorma posted:

Heh, I'm still running wired everything even though I have a Core i7 with 12GBs of RAM. I'm still very distrustful of wireless mice.

Ditto, but I have 8 Gigs of RAM at the moment.

kiph
Apr 28, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why would you even need so much RAM for a gaming machine anyway? If you're doing memory intensive work like image or video editing it can help, but if you're using your PC solely for gaming 4 Gigs is more than enough.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
I am using mine for web design, Photoshop, illustrator and after effects, among other programs for my university course.

The game suggestions on the first page are great, quite a few I managed to miss this year because my old rig broke and I had to buy a new one. Does anybody have the image with all of the top PC game covers from 2010? I've been trying to find it but with no luck.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
I don't think it's too terrible of an idea to pick up 8GB for a gaming machine given its price. It's usually been the case that within a single generation of RAM you end up with recommendations being capacity of the previous gen and then eventually doubling it - for DDR, it was 1GB then 2GB, for DDR2 first 2GB then 4GB, and for DDR3 now it's 4GB. Since DDR3 is Ridiculously Cheap right now, it's not a terrible idea to think ahead a little bit. 16GB is stupid though.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Everything I've read about the HD555s has said they're very comfortable, and I really hope so because I've had no luck so far with finding a set of comfortable headphones. My ears/head are shaped funny or something, I don't know.

They're great headphones, but they were extremely uncomfortable, to me at least. They grip your head like a vise, to the point where I would literally have a headache after 30 minutes of wearing them. Great sound, but not worth the pain. I had to take them back and get a different set of headphones.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Taffer posted:

They're great headphones, but they were extremely uncomfortable, to me at least. They grip your head like a vise, to the point where I would literally have a headache after 30 minutes of wearing them. Great sound, but not worth the pain. I had to take them back and get a different set of headphones.
Ahhh gently caress, that doesn't sound good :(

That's the problem I've had with other sets of larger headphones, they just crush my ears. If I have problems with these then I just give up.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That's the problem I've had with other sets of larger headphones, they just crush my ears. If I have problems with these then I just give up.

I own a pair of HD555s and I think they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned, so opinions vary. They're circumaural so they rest around your ears, not on them. If they grip your head too tightly, leave them on a stack of books slightly larger than your head to break them in.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I should have been a little more specific, they don't actually crush your ears. Like brainwrinkle said, they're circumaural. But they press on your entire head. of course everyones head size and preference is different so you might actually like it, but just giving you a fair warning. I have a pretty big head, so maybe that's it. :(

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

kiph posted:

Why would you even need so much RAM for a gaming machine anyway? If you're doing memory intensive work like image or video editing it can help, but if you're using your PC solely for gaming 4 Gigs is more than enough.

I do audio production and video editing (and it's amazing for building the lighting on my level designer's UDK maps).

:smugdog:

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Taffer posted:

Yeah that is my problem with most of the higher quality headphones with ear pieces that covers the ears completely. I managed to "solve" that problem by "curing" these headphones by mounting these headphones over the top of my PC whenever I am not using them. That way, the grip of these headphones becomes loose over time and much more comfortable to wear over extended periods of time.

However, it doesn't solve the problem of sweat, esp. when I used to raid in WoW. Which caused me to finally switch to in-ear earbuds. I used E.D.G.E GX400 headset (it has a very sensitive and unobtrusive in-line mic as well) for many long gaming nights.

But... It was still not perfect... Since there is still the issue of being tethered by the headphone wire. Which got me go on a long search for a pair of good wireless headphones for gaming, movies and music. After wasting too much money on too many pairs of headphones I finally found the perfect pair of wireless headphone for me, the Sleek Audio's SA6 wireless headphones. (Can't wait for the SA7, if it ever gets released...)

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Taffer posted:

I should have been a little more specific, they don't actually crush your ears. Like brainwrinkle said, they're circumaural. But they press on your entire head. of course everyones head size and preference is different so you might actually like it, but just giving you a fair warning. I have a pretty big head, so maybe that's it. :(
And maybe I have gigantic ears, I don't know. Because I've tried headphones that are circumaural before, and so far none of them have fit around my ears right, they still get smashed in and uncomfortable.

Either way the new pair should get here next week sometime so I will report back!

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
I hate posting the same thing over and over but anybody looking for comfortable open-air headphones should really at least look into the AD700s. They are cheaper than the HD555s on average, have equal or better sound quality, and are ridiculously comfortable because of their design. I've heard the "Sennheiser vicegrip" complaint more than once and that's what tipped me toward the AD700s.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
What the hell... I use my Astro A40 with mixamp, and I'm very happy. The biggest bonus is comfort. You don't feel you are even wearing them, you can game for hours and it's never uncomfortable. Also the ability to change mic volumes on the fly is great, you can find that sweet spot between game music and voice communication with a twist of a dial. They are kind of pricey but worth the cost of admission. Just my 50 pence.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
While the topic of good quality headphones is out and about, I want to ask a question or two about amps. I hear a lot of talk from some people I know about how there isn't a point to even using higher-end headphones if you're not using one of those desk amps or something. Honestly I'm not really sure what they mean, because I feel like my headphones work just fine.

Am I missing out on something here by not having an amp? Does anyone have any suggestions for a good one?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That's kind of silly. Most modern 1/8" jacks are perfectly suited for desktop gaming.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Red Baron posted:

While the topic of good quality headphones is out and about, I want to ask a question or two about amps. I hear a lot of talk from some people I know about how there isn't a point to even using higher-end headphones if you're not using one of those desk amps or something. Honestly I'm not really sure what they mean, because I feel like my headphones work just fine.

Am I missing out on something here by not having an amp? Does anyone have any suggestions for a good one?

You won't gain anything from an amp unless you have a very high end set of headphones with a really high impedance. If you don't notice lack of sound quality or a pretty low volume limit, you don't need an amp.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Any way to train hand-eye coordination for first-person shooters so that I can actually track a moving target with a mouse during a twitch shooter? (I'm looking at you, Call of Duty.)

P.S. You'd think it was easier with a mouse than with a controller... for me it's not, I'm sucktastic at tracking-a-moving-target with either.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Chortles posted:

Any way to train hand-eye coordination for first-person shooters so that I can actually track a moving target with a mouse during a twitch shooter? (I'm looking at you, Call of Duty.)

P.S. You'd think it was easier with a mouse than with a controller... for me it's not, I'm sucktastic at tracking-a-moving-target with either.

It takes practice and getting used to the FOV and change in input modality.

Why not practice with the single player?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Chortles posted:

How are you with normal computing tasks, like just moving a mouse around in Windows?

It seems bizarre that you wouldn't be able to do it at all.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Yaos posted:

I used to use wireless but constantly dropping out and battery warnings sent me running back to wired controls. Even on the PS3 and 360 I'll leave the controllers plugged in while playing so I don't have to worry about the battery. This let me find out that the standard 360 controller is wireless only, while the PS3 controller will switch to wired if you leave it plugged in.

So does this mean that wireless keyboards and mice still suck for gaming? I want to try hooking up my desktop to my TV and just playing PC games that way since I really hated trying to play at my uncomfy desk (also, 40" LED TV > monitor). A wired keyboard and mouse isn't out of the question but wireless would be a bit more convenient.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

So does this mean that wireless keyboards and mice still suck for gaming? I want to try hooking up my desktop to my TV and just playing PC games that way since I really hated trying to play at my uncomfy desk (also, 40" LED TV > monitor). A wired keyboard and mouse isn't out of the question but wireless would be a bit more convenient.

They're fine now. I don't have any issues with mine. Just don't cheap out on them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

HondaCivet posted:

I use a wireless mouse, no issues with lag or anything. Laptop so no wireless keyboard obviously.
The mouse gets stuttery if my laptop gets warm but that's more the laptop's fault.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
PROTIP: Never sit down (much less in the dark) if you don't know where your peripherals are.

I JUST sat on and broke a "gaming" headset for the second time now. First a Turtle Beach X1, now the Rosewill RH-40C. Usually force of habit had me putting it aside, but I guess it must have slid off of the couch armrest or I must have just left it for once (I can be incredible inattentive of even actions that I'm performing physically), and now... :(

Chortles fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 7, 2011

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Amrosorma posted:

Why not practice with the single player?
Because that plays nothing like multiplayer; in single-player I just tend towards hanging back and camping.

Vertigus posted:

How are you with normal computing tasks, like just moving a mouse around in Windows?
Ehh, it's "adequate" for normal computing tasks, but for first-person shooters I find that I have a poor ability to track moving targets, and my mouse movements are very wrist-reliant for fine motor control -- if taken by surprise, or when trying to clear a small room, I'll usually just "lay down" on the mouse button or freeze up/jerk. I also tend to be slow to react to changes in target position, i.e. if they go prone while I was shooting, they'll usually be able to keep shooting back before I even recognize what happened.

Of course, Black Ops' woes on PC (I usually tend from 15-30 fps... yes, I know how fatal 15 fps is in a twitch shooter, and I sometimes have severe lag spikes) don't help at all.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chortles posted:

Of course, Black Ops' woes on PC (I usually tend from 15-30 fps... yes, I know how fatal 15 fps is in a twitch shooter, and I sometimes have severe lag spikes) don't help at all.

How old is your PC that you only get 15-30fps in Blops? My PC is hardly top of the line and still pegs over 150fps.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

How old is your PC that you only get 15-30fps in Blops? My PC is hardly top of the line and still pegs over 150fps.

Blops is one of those games where if it works for you then it's great, but if it doesn't work it really doesn't work. Plenty of people have brand new top of the line PCs that chug like crazy on it because of some bizarre fluke that Treyarch hasn't figured out entirely yet.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Blops is horribly coded, I get 15-30fps with a lean config when I could get 60+ with everything on in COD4. And it used to be worse with horrible lag stuttering every 10 seconds.

Speaking only of MP, of course. In SP it would run super smooth on one level and super choppy on another.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Chortles posted:

Your sensitivity is likely WAY the gently caress too high (I play with 7" to a 360, that's probably a fairly good target for a game like COD), and you're probably playing with vsync on which in the case of black ops introduces massive input lag. You also probably have mouse acceleration on, which makes the amount you turn for 1" of mouse movement vary based on the speed you move your mouse at, which is loving poo poo. To fix that make sure enhance pointer precision in the windows mouse control panel is unchecked, also leave the speed slider at 6/11 or your mouse will perform unreliably, adjusting DPI is a better way to control pointer speed.

Your frame rate is at least as big a problem as any of that other poo poo but in the case of Black Ops there isn't much you can do because the game is a POS.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 7, 2011

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

sethsez posted:

Plenty of people have brand new top of the line PCs that chug like crazy on it because of some bizarre fluke that Treyarch hasn't figured out entirely yet.

This is one of those uncommon-but-bound-to-happen-a-few-times sorta things in PC gaming. You may have hardware on the midrange/lower end, and you're getting decent FPS. But everyone with the latest hardware is getting FPS usually at or below your level with none of the eye candy on.

Or...you could find yourself in the position where you have bleeding edge hardware, but you're sporting 5-6FPS for whatever terrible reason.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
:siren: SURPRISE RELEASES THIS PAST WEEK :siren:

:siren: RELEASING THIS WEEK :siren:

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Chortles posted:

Play a shooter that has hordes of enemies, like Killing Floor. It's a bit slower paced than Call of Duty, but you still need to shoot accurately to get a headshot.

Also, it's really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

brainwrinkle posted:

I own a pair of HD555s and I think they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned, so opinions vary. They're circumaural so they rest around your ears, not on them. If they grip your head too tightly, leave them on a stack of books slightly larger than your head to break them in.
My HD555s came in today and oh god they're awesome. These actually fit completely AROUND my ears like they're supposed to, I don't know what's wrong with the others I've tried but they never did.

I can see why someone would say that they're tight, but they're so much better than what I've been using that I don't think it's going to be an issue for me. I'll see what they're like after a couple hours but I can already tell these are going to be the most comfortable I've used. The only issue I have so far is they come with that gigantic 1/4" plug, and the included adapter to turn it into a normal-sized plug is bulky, making the whole thing too big to fit all the way into my speaker's headphone jack (it's recessed a little bit). Not a huge deal though because I can just plug it into the sound card, which is probably better anyway.

• Locked thread