Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
in regards to the GPS stuff, there's a program in the market called GPS Status & Toolbox that has an option to clear cached gps data (start it up, hit the menu button and under tools/manage a-gps state you can do "reset") I'm not sure if that's the same as the gpsclrx code but it's probably worth a try before you go through the process of swapping roms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Problem fixed (kind of) properly rooted anyways

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953
z4root instead of the one in the op for droid 2 atleast, it's an app. Install it, push the button, enjoy.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 18, 2011

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Does Titanium Backup automatically restore your apps? I swear, I don't remember doing a restore after I flashed CM 7 and reinstalled it.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Sizzlechest posted:

Does Titanium Backup automatically restore your apps? I swear, I don't remember doing a restore after I flashed CM 7 and reinstalled it.

No but Android automatically will. You'll need to use Titanium to restore the settings however.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'd like to smugly add that I've just installed one of the unofficial CM7 based roms on my 32b Magic and everything aside from USB tether appears to be working perfectly.

I'm quite frankly amazed at the continued community support for old HTC devices, especially ones that shipped with 1.5 when that was relatively new.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

if I do the filesystem change thing to ext4 on my Epic, is that going to screw me out of using the new update when it comes out in a few days IF that official Froyo actually happens?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
So...is anyone else using the new Google 2-Step Verification system?

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/10/google-rolls-out-two-factor-authentication-for-everyone-you-should-use-it/

While I'm VERY happy about the increased security, this will essentially make it impossible to do any sort of wiping/flashing on the go, since you'll HAVE to be near a computer to generate the one-time passwords.

Thoughts?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

decoy octopus posted:

I'm not just getting lovely wifi signal (I'm about a foot from it and I'm getting two bars) I'm getting lovely (At least according to the readout on the phone itself) cell phone signal, I'm in a 3-4 bar area and I get consistently 1 bar on CM7, I'm probably just going to go back to stock

FYI CM7 and Sense use different numbers for 'signal' and bars mean absolutely nothing. Check your actual decibel rating, because the ROM itself is 99% likely to have 0 effect on actual signal.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I tried to flash DangerSPL to get CM6 on my G1, but it seems I have failed horribly. I have a compatible radio image and DangerSPL itself flashed with no problems. However, CyanogenMod 6 and 5 failed to install (no installation script, or something along those lines). CyanogenMod 4.2 installed, but got stuck at the T-Mobile G1 splash screen. I can still boot to fastboot and recovery though, so not all is probably lost.

The only thing I did that wasn't exactly per the instructions in the Cyanogenmod wiki was having the JF recovery ROM instead of Amon Ra. I tried to install that, but I seem to need to do stuff to my SD card through the console. Even though it claims the SD card is mounted in the console and I can update through the recovery ROM, the /sdcard directory is empty when I try to access it.

How do I unbreak everything? I feel like I got everything but some cruicial step somewhere.

EDIT: Ok, I SuperD on there, and it boots up and everything, so the phone itself is fine. CM6 still gives that weird error.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 18, 2011

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

So...is anyone else using the new Google 2-Step Verification system?

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/10/google-rolls-out-two-factor-authentication-for-everyone-you-should-use-it/

While I'm VERY happy about the increased security, this will essentially make it impossible to do any sort of wiping/flashing on the go, since you'll HAVE to be near a computer to generate the one-time passwords.

Thoughts?
Using it here too, very impressed!

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
So today I tried to change my HTC Incredible MIUI ROM to CM6.1 through the rom manager. After I downloaded it from the rom manager, It wouldn't work for for a while but I finally got it it to install the ROM. After I installed it it kept looping the CM logo for a good 2 hours, so I disconnected the battery. That didn't work. It only worked after I did a factory reset. Now that I can load the ROM. I always get the error "android.process.acore has suddenly stopped." if I click force close it doesn't do anything at all another one pops up. It doesn't appear on the lock screen at all. If I'm quick enough I can scroll down that top bar and see Ongoing, but the message pops up. What can I do to fix this?

edit- I figured out my problem

Mesothelioma fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 18, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Anyone else running CM7 RC1 having problems with Goggles? It kinda-sorta-almost wants to work, and then it gets stuck, locks up my phone, and force-closes.

EDIT: Reinstall seems to have mostly fixed the problem...it still doesn't like to release the GPS lock at exit though...I had to cycle back into and out of the app a couple times to get it to stop using GPS (even a force close didn't work...).

I know I mentioned it earlier...but is anyone else having more problems with the RC than the nightlies, or am I just lucky that way?

Nope...I haven't seen that issue pop up. Weird though.
\/\/\/\/\/

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 18, 2011

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Noticed this morning after flashing CM7 RC1 on my EVO that I'm having this issue with the dialer. It shows the old button style over the newer rotary style, anybody else having that happen?

Maybe I get lucky and tonights build will fix it.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Dijkstra posted:

No but Android automatically will. You'll need to use Titanium to restore the settings however.

How do I prevent it from happening?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Skeezy posted:

Noticed this morning after flashing CM7 RC1 on my EVO that I'm having this issue with the dialer. It shows the old button style over the newer rotary style, anybody else having that happen?

Maybe I get lucky and tonights build will fix it.
Yeah, I got that too, they fixed it in build 39 or 40 though.

Sizzlechest posted:

How do I prevent it from happening?
Go to Settings > Privacy and uncheck "Back up my data".

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

datajosh posted:

Yeah, I got that too, they fixed it in build 39 or 40 though.

Oh good, I'll just wait for whatever new build at midnight though.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

datajosh posted:

Go to Settings > Privacy and uncheck "Back up my data".

Will that wipe out the backup already there? I want to prevent the restore once CM 7 is loaded for the first time in case it's loving something up.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Sizzlechest posted:

Will that wipe out the backup already there? I want to prevent the restore once CM 7 is loaded for the first time in case it's loving something up.

You can also skip setting up a Google account on the first boot and create it manually from Settings later on.

Gargladdy
Sep 21, 2005
Outletsnake!
I just got a droid eris and it's my first experience with android.

it's running firmware 2.1 and I'd like to root it and install a custom rom (it's a little slow of a phone, just want a solid custom rom)

What do you guys suggest? Also I'm running macos if that makes any difference.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Gargladdy posted:

I just got a droid eris and it's my first experience with android.

it's running firmware 2.1 and I'd like to root it and install a custom rom (it's a little slow of a phone, just want a solid custom rom)

What do you guys suggest? Also I'm running macos if that makes any difference.

I hear that there's a CyanogenMod 7 ROM for the Eris, which runs 2.3. Someone else who knows more about this or CM could chime in.

Here's some info.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
GPS doesn't seem to work properly for me under CM7 on my desire. Would a radio update have any chance of improving things or does that only affect wifi and telephony? There is a newer one available.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

GPS doesn't seem to work properly for me under CM7 on my desire. Would a radio update have any chance of improving things or does that only affect wifi and telephony? There is a newer one available.
Cool, it's Pissflaps!

A radio won't do anything about the GPS.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

There are suggestions to fix the CM GPS issues on the EVO on the previous and current pages of this very thread. Might be worth a try on the Desire.

Links:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3358561&pagenumber=58
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3358561&pagenumber=59

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pissflaps posted:

Have you tried "GPS Status" from the Market? When the GPS on my Desire isn't locking on properly, turning GPS off and then back on and loading GPS Status tends to get a lock in under a minute, and usually to 5+ satellites as well.

Upgrading the radio probably won't fix the GPS, but I noticed that upgrading the radio on mine cleared up some slowness when connected to WPA2 networks.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

fishmech posted:

Have you tried "GPS Status" from the Market? When the GPS on my Desire isn't locking on properly, turning GPS off and then back on and loading GPS Status tends to get a lock in under a minute, and usually to 5+ satellites as well.

Yeah I've already got that. I'll have a play about with it later. I have a problem with my anus at the moment so I'm not able to go outside to try it out properly.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Pissflaps posted:

Radio affects pretty much everything involved in RF signals, including wifi and bluetooth, GSM/CDMA and FM, and even GPS sometimes.

A radio update likely won't hurt.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Casao posted:

Radio affects pretty much everything involved in RF signals, including wifi and bluetooth, GSM/CDMA and FM, and even GPS sometimes.

A radio update likely won't hurt.

Maybe I'll give it a whirl. Just seems like the sort of thing that could break a phone. Can you apply a radio update without updating the rom?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe I'll give it a whirl. Just seems like the sort of thing that could break a phone. Can you apply a radio update without updating the rom?

If you do it improperly, it could break the phone, yes. It's pretty hard to do so, though.

And yes, you can update radio without touching the ROM.

Gargladdy
Sep 21, 2005
Outletsnake!

BathroomTile posted:

I hear that there's a CyanogenMod 7 ROM for the Eris, which runs 2.3. Someone else who knows more about this or CM could chime in.

Here's some info.

Thanks a ton for that link. It's a good starting point. I might wait for some more people to chime in before attempting this, in the meantime i'll be reading up

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Does anyone know how to flash an updated Clockwork Recovery? ROM Manager downloads it and puts it as update.zip on the SD card, but I want to upgrade the clockwork flashed from the S-OFF process.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Sizzlechest posted:

Does anyone know how to flash an updated Clockwork Recovery? ROM Manager downloads it and puts it as update.zip on the SD card, but I want to upgrade the clockwork flashed from the S-OFF process.

The file on the SD card doesn't really matter. Just run ROM Manager and have it flash the latest, it's safe and will not kill your phone. Test to see if you're running the latest by booting into recovery and see which version you're running. The latest should be somewhere around 3.0.5 and will look orange instead of green. There's no good reason to stick with a previous version of clockwork.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Civil posted:

The file on the SD card doesn't really matter. Just run ROM Manager and have it flash the latest, it's safe and will not kill your phone. Test to see if you're running the latest by booting into recovery and see which version you're running. The latest should be somewhere around 3.0.5 and will look orange instead of green. There's no good reason to stick with a previous version of clockwork.
Actually depending on the device there are very good reasons to stick with pre-3.0 CWR, namely the removal of Amend support which will break a lot of currently flashable ZIPs.

Koush can explain it a lot better than I can.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Civil posted:

I did. When I hold down the power button and reboot into recovery, it's 2.5.0.1. If I go through Rom Manager, it goes to 2.5.0.7. Rom Manager doesn't seem to be flashing Clockwork to memory.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
I rooted my wife's HTC EVO about half a year ago and installed Fresh on it because she was happy with Sense. The main reason she wanted her phone rooted was for wifi tethering. Then about two weeks ago, her phone started going bonkers (boot-loops, random resets, etc.). I tried to nandroid restore a backup, and the backup would not even boot. Needless to say, I was a little confused, but I wiped the phone and installed CM6 on it, which seemed to fix it.

But a couple days ago, it started going nuts again and eventually went into a bootloop and would not go into recovery. I reflashed the recovery, and it still would not boot into recovery. I ended up unrooting the phone, but the boot-loop still persisted. So it looks like we'll be exchanging the phone with Sprint.

I guess my question is, is it likely that the rooting and installation of varios ROMs on the phone caused the issues? She was on Fresh with no issues for almost half a year and the phone was never overclocked, so I'd like to think probably not. I'm trying to determine if it is worth rooting her phone once we get a new one. Also, what is the bear minimum you have to do to get wifi tethering working on the EVO? Last I heard, I believe the stock installation couldn't wifi tether even after you unrevoked because there was an issue with the kernel.

Also, my own EVO has been working perfectly since I rooted it 8 or so months ago. On CM7 now and loving it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
When using a well-known ROM on a popular device, the odds of anything you do at all other than flashing the radio or the bootloader causing any permanent problems are near zero. In both of those cases, you'd know immediately, not months down the road.

So no, it is not at all likely that rooting it and installing a few ROMs caused anything.

As for tethering, it took a few versions of the WiFi Tether app to get it working right on Sense ROMs, but I used it on a rooted stock ROM just fine. Still preferred Fresh anyways since it had the best of Sense with the other stock poo poo stripped out.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

New Ultimate Online Theme Kitchen v3 is up, at new website:
http://uot.dakra.lt/

Apparently it now supports gingerbread! So, hooray to not having to rely on mattyg to release a new circle battery for every new cyanogenmod v7 nightly.

I'll test this out when I get home, and let you know the results if you want to wait.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is it just me or is my battery life worse with CM7 on my Evo?

Running nightly #40 right now, and aside from that and some initial weirdness with migrating my voicemail to Google Voice, no issues.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Updated my radio and not sure if its that, or just being a bit more patient, but my GPS is now working fine.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is it just me or is my battery life worse with CM7 on my Evo?

Running nightly #40 right now, and aside from that and some initial weirdness with migrating my voicemail to Google Voice, no issues.

I'm having a gently caress ton of wake lock issues at night with CM7 on my N1 but the ROM runs beautifully. I'd love to blame it on apps not playing with 2.3 nicely but at this point I'm about ready to call it quits and either roll back to 6.x or MIUI so Casao will shut up about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
A SIM unlock utility for GSM Desires has been released, worked first time for me :)

Link

A few people in that thread seemed to be having problems but I'd attribute that to not following the procedure properly.