Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

1) Red Card and penalty
2) The goal might possibly be wider then otherwise now and the triangles are probably dangerous if someone whacks into the point. use other goals if you can but it's a park game and carry on if both captains agree
3) It's not the match ball but it's most certainly inciting the crowd. Second yellow if you feel like being a nob end

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
2) Find out who made the posts and get them on Dragon's Den.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
1. I'd be really reluctant to give a red to the keeper because of some unsporting twat not taking a tap-in. So give a penalty, and only book the keeper because there was still an obvious goalscoring opportunity. If the player that let the ball go out is pushing for a red, give him a booking for unsporting behaviour.

2. If no other pitch is available, and the both sets of players are okay with it, go ahead with the match.

3. Give another yellow for extravagant celebration.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dudley posted:

1) You played advantage and they blew it. Red card but goal kick.

If they don't get any advantage then you call the game back, that's what the point of advantage is!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
1. I think it should be penalty and red card, but wouldn't be surprised if it was a "play to the whistle" incident which they love throwing in. I'll still go with red card and penalty because I can't see another option.

2. By the rules of the game, don't allow the game to kick-off. In reality, if the captains agree, it's fine.

3. I'd say it's fine, assuming it wasn't really close to someone and right into their face.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If they don't get any advantage then you call the game back, that's what the point of advantage is!

They did get advantage, he had an open goal, it doesn't go on forever.

EDIT : Or to put it another way, they wouldn't have pulled it back if he John Terryed it over the bar either.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Dudley posted:

They did get advantage, he had an open goal, it doesn't go on forever.

EDIT : Or to put it another way, they wouldn't have pulled it back if he John Terryed it over the bar either.

I've seen a ref pull it back for the card but not for the freekick after giving an advantage, like in FIFA.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Red card the keeper then tell the player he's an idiot for not shooting since the keeper would be getting carded regardless

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jose posted:

Red card the keeper then tell the player he's an idiot for not shooting since the keeper would be getting carded regardless

Not if the goal was given. Remember the Luis Garcia goal against Chelsea in the Champions League? If that goal wasn't given, it would have been a red for Cech, wouldn't it?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

1) Based on that picture, it's not an automatic red card anyway. Ignoring it, though, I'd say it's still not, as the chance to score wasn't lost. The striker has declined the chance to play advantage. Yellow card to the keeper and award a penalty.

2) There's possibly a safety issue here. If both captains want to play with goals made out of used needles and Kerry Katona's vagina, then that's their perogative, but if you're the referee and you're responsible for the safety of both teams, you should ask for them to be changed.

3) Yellow card for being a reet dickhead, like.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

FullLeatherJacket posted:

1) Based on that picture, it's not an automatic red card anyway. Ignoring it, though, I'd say it's still not, as the chance to score wasn't lost. The striker has declined the chance to play advantage. Yellow card to the keeper and award a penalty.

Yeah the picture is unhelpful because I wouldn't call that an open goal. It IS a clear scoring chance though, last man or no.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

1. Advantage never materialised, pull play back to the incident and award the penalty. If the player who was fouled was denied a clear goal-scoring opportunity, show the red card to the player who fouled him.
2. Abandon the match, the posts don't meet the requirements set out in the Laws of the Game. The ball could bounce erratically off those triangular posts.
3. The player is inciting the crowd during a goal celebration, show him a 2nd yellow card, followed by a red.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Dudley posted:

Yeah the picture is unhelpful because I wouldn't call that an open goal. It IS a clear scoring chance though, last man or no.

1. The second attacker is offside, so i don't see how there would be any advantage. Regardless, there is another defender in the pic. No red, perhaps maybe a yellow, penalty.
2. Not playable, although it would be great.
3. "Being a dick" verbage needs to be added in the laws of the game. "He was B.A.D." Yellow.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Dollas posted:

3. "Being a dick" verbage needs to be added in the laws of the game. "He was B.A.D." Yellow.

50% of professional footballers would be sent off before ever making it to the coin toss.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Dudley posted:

50% of professional footballers would be sent off before ever making it to the coin toss.

Yeah, the match writeup would be great.

Cautions:
BAD
BAD
BAD
BAD
BAD
BAD
Send offs:
2nd caution
2nd caution
2nd caution

Comments: Uh, match abandoned?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

1. Pull it back for the penalty. There is a defender on the line, so I'd award a yellow card to the keeper.
2. Abandon the match, you cannot start with triangle posts. Who even makes triangular posts?
3. Second yellow for unsporting behavior/inciting the crowd/general douchebaggery

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.
1) Do nothing. You played advantage, the player had an open, easy goal, and messed it up. It's no different than if he had taken the shot and missed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

s0meb0dy0 posted:

1) Do nothing. You played advantage, the player had an open, easy goal, and messed it up. It's no different than if he had taken the shot and missed.

"If the referee applies advantage during an obvious goalscoring opportunity and
a goal is scored directly, despite the opponent’s handling the ball or fouling an
opponent, the player cannot be sent off but he may still be cautioned."

By the letter of the law, the keeper should be sent off.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Playing advantage doesn't stop the punishment. Have you never seen this happen in a match before?

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.
Damnit you guys and your rules.

Play advantage, give a goal kick, and then (yellow) card the keeper.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jose posted:

Playing advantage doesn't stop the punishment. Have you never seen this happen in a match before?

What is the offence? "Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity". If the ball runs to another striker who has a completely open goal, has a goalscoring opportunity been denied?

I also say advantage over, goal kick. God knows what Hackett will think.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
1. Possibly caution for the foul itself, but advantage has been played, so goal kick. The key here is that the other attacker HAD the advantage but CHOSE not to play it. He does not get to make that decision! He deliberately did not take the shot.

2. No game. This was changed in the Laws this season (it used to be advisory regarding the shape of the posts but now it is mandatory).

3. Caution, off he goes. Although this depends on league rules to a degree.... the Premier League wants this sort of thing considered as incitement and therefore classed as Unsporting Behaviour.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Trin Tragula posted:

What is the offence? "Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity". If the ball runs to another striker who has a completely open goal, has a goalscoring opportunity been denied?

yes a goalscoring opportunity has been denied, just because another one followed it doesn't mean the first didn't happen

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

By that line of reasoning the second player could be fouled by that defender on the line, the ball comes back off the post, the original striker taps it in, and then you send off both goalkeeper and defender for denying 2 of the 3 opportunities. I don't think that's what is meant by an opportunity, you can't argue that if not for the 2 fouls you would have scored 3 goals.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Indeed. The opportunity is not limited to the single player who got disadvantaged, by either a foul or handball.

E.g. player takes a shot, defender handles it on the line, then another attacker just taps it in.

You CANNOT send off the defender as he did not deny anything: A goal was scored! He would be cautioned, however.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Scikar posted:

By that line of reasoning the second player could be fouled by that defender on the line, the ball comes back off the post, the original striker taps it in, and then you send off both goalkeeper and defender for denying 2 of the 3 opportunities.

In that situation you would yellow card the players, not red card them. You only dismiss someone for DOGSO if a goal isn't scored immediately after.

Mewcenary posted:

You CANNOT send off the defender as he did not deny anything: A goal was scored!

You're making the correct conclusion but this argument is profoundly stupid; the defender fouling prevented the opportunity which is still true even if someone taps it in after. It's just that if a goal is scored, DOGSO is no longer a red card offense.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I can't work out what #2 is trying to get at. The fronts of the goalposts are triangular? What does that mean? I can't tell which angle the picture is from either, in front of goal lookng across the pitch or to the left of the goal looking down it?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hoops posted:

The fronts of the goalposts are triangular? What does that mean?

It means the triangular bit of the goalpost cross-section is as the front you idiot

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It means the triangular bit of the goalpost cross-section is as the front you idiot
Still not getting it bro sorry

[edit]oh wait now I do.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 26, 2011

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hoops posted:

Association football goalposts are usually round in cross-section. The ones in the question are, in fact, triangular.

What do you do?

e: there's a loving picture you nonsense

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Hoops posted:

Do you see how the goalposts facing you are rounded? Now imagine if they were triangular, wide at the base and tapering to a narrow point, like looking at a wedge. It would be dangerous.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

T. Finn posted:

Do you see how the goalposts facing you are rounded? Now imagine if they were triangular, wide at the base and tapering to a narrow point, like looking at a wedge. It would be dangerous.
And also influences the direction the ball bounces off them.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I was taking "goalposts" as referring to the entire frame. I had it in my head that the diagram was a side-on shot of the entire goals and they had massive trangle bits sticking out of them onto the pitch and absolutely didn't know what the gently caress.

Now I understand why the ref is touching the posts. No idea now why I read it the way I did. Give me a break though I've been ill for like three days.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Hoops posted:

I was taking "goalposts" as referring to the entire frame. I had it in my head that the diagram was a side-on shot of the entire goals and they had massive trangle bits sticking out of them onto the pitch and absolutely didn't know what the gently caress.

Now I understand why the ref is touching the posts. No idea now why I read it the way I did. Give me a break though I've been ill for like three days.

Your fevered vision is cooler tbh

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

8raz posted:

And also influences the direction the ball bounces off them.

That's kind of important, but square ones are allowed. It means that balls are funneled into the goals though

Hoops posted:

Football, blurnsball style

Hoops posted:

I have a fever, you have no excuse

I'm sweating like a goon

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Trin Tragula posted:

I know you're supposed to play to the whistle, but sometimes it's more of a reaction to just shout for a penalty. I think in this case, if the player hasn't touched the ball before it went out for a goal kick, you'd pull it back to the foul. Something like that happened today, Johnson got fouled around the half way line, ball rolled on to Gerrard but he played a wayward pass. Since the advantage hadn't come, Halsey pulled it back to the foul on Johnson and gave Liverpool a free kick.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hoops posted:

Goalposts need more flying buttresses.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hackett:

1) You've rightly delayed to see if an advantage has accrued – the fact that the player has deliberately failed to take that opportunity should not change your thinking. There was no advantage, so award a penalty-kick. However, the player has taken a bizarre gamble: you would only show a red card to the goalkeeper if he denied the first striker an obvious goalscoring opportunity – and there was a defender on the line. Players are best advised to focus on playing, not refereeing.

2) If there is no other pitch available, and the posts cannot be changed, you cannot play the match. Goalposts and crossbars must be square, rectangular, round or elliptical in shape, and must not be dangerous to players. Report the situation to the competition secretary.

3) The player has taken a daft risk. Your decision should be based on whether he has a) delayed the restart or b) incited the crowd. If he has, it is indeed a second yellow card. But if not, issue the player with a clear public rebuke, and restart the game with a kick-off. My instinct in this case would be to stick with a firm rebuke.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

peanut- posted:

Hackett:

1) You've rightly delayed to see if an advantage has accrued – the fact that the player has deliberately failed to take that opportunity should not change your thinking. There was no advantage, so award a penalty-kick. However, the player has taken a bizarre gamble: you would only show a red card to the goalkeeper if he denied the first striker an obvious goalscoring opportunity – and there was a defender on the line. Players are best advised to focus on playing, not refereeing.

2) If there is no other pitch available, and the posts cannot be changed, you cannot play the match. Goalposts and crossbars must be square, rectangular, round or elliptical in shape, and must not be dangerous to players. Report the situation to the competition secretary.

3) The player has taken a daft risk. Your decision should be based on whether he has a) delayed the restart or b) incited the crowd. If he has, it is indeed a second yellow card. But if not, issue the player with a clear public rebuke, and restart the game with a kick-off. My instinct in this case would be to stick with a firm rebuke.

Bovine Delight posted:

1. Pull it back for the penalty. There is a defender on the line, so I'd award a yellow card to the keeper.
2. Abandon the match, you cannot start with triangle posts. Who even makes triangular posts?
3. Second yellow for unsporting behavior/inciting the crowd/general douchebaggery

:smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

peanut- posted:

However, the player has taken a bizarre gamble: you would only show a red card to the goalkeeper if he denied the first striker an obvious goalscoring opportunity – and there was a defender on the line. Players are best advised to focus on playing, not refereeing.

If the defender and the keeper are switched, the defender would get a red card every time. Why is a less good defensive position not a red card offense?

peanut- posted:

Goalposts and crossbars must be square, rectangular, round or elliptical in shape

Square or rectangular you say

• Locked thread