Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Congratulations, Keith Hackett; you have now completed a truly remarkable decline from best referee in Europe to Internet troll. Enjoy your retirement.

I also want to know which park referee gets neutral assistants...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

If you can have square goalposts, surely that means you can have the point facing forwards and that you can ram Phil Babb into them.

Soccer: Fixed Now

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If the defender and the keeper are switched, the defender would get a red card every time. Why is a less good defensive position not a red card offense?

He's saying that based on the picture, he's not the "last man". Which is apparently the rule even when it's clearly not the rule. See: Terry, John; Boris Johnson Tackle, The.

I still say that keepers shouldn't be getting red cards for DOGSO unless they've done something which is clearly reckless or an old-school professional foul. It's pretty much part of their job that they're going to be one-on-one, and they have at least some responsibility to attempt to play the ball. I'm not suggesting a hip-first Toni Schumacher banzai smash, but nor should the striker simply be able to fall over the goalkeeper on the ground and then ask for a card.

Then again, I am the man who just invented the Babbcracker Post, so let's not go nuts.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If the defender and the keeper are switched, the defender would get a red card every time. Why is a less good defensive position not a red card offense?
Yeah I don't get this, surely the keeper on the line and a defender committing the foul would be less of a goalscoring opportunity since the keeper can use his hands to save the ball, but an outfield player can't (unless you're Luis Suarez). I agree with the advantage judgment though.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I think it's kind of dumb to cite the defender on the line, which isn't mentioned in the text & was presumably just added by Trevillion. By doing so he avoids having to answer whether it's still DOGSO or not

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Besides, it's not just if you're the last man that you get sent off for DOGSO/professional foul, but if you're the second last man. That's why you see defenders get sent off all the time when they're the last defender but the keeper is still behind them. As far as I know, the LOAF doesn't say anything about either of the people having to be the keeper, it just mentions them as players.

By Hackett's logic the only time a defender should be sent off for a professional foul is when there's no keeper in goal.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
"Last man" isn't a real rule. The only criterion is whether the referee judges that a clear goal was denied by a foul.

Edit: I'm judging Hackett's answer to mean that you could decide not to call it DOGSO with a defender on the line, not necessarily that a yellow is only option.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 28, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

"Last man" isn't a real rule. The only criterion is whether the referee judges that a clear goal was denied by a foul.

Edit: I'm judging Hackett's answer to mean that you could decide not to call it DOGSO with a defender on the line, not necessarily that a yellow is only option.

Okay, fair enough but in practice, 99% of the time when the last defender is sent off for this it's not because they denied the person a chance on an empty net but because they denied the person a chance at a 1-on-1 with the keeper. That's why Hackett's answer makes no sense, because surely a 1-on-1 with a defender is a much better goalscoring opportunity than a 1-on-1 with the keeper, and if you remove all the advantage, penalty bullshit that's essentially what it boils down to.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

vyelkin posted:

Okay, fair enough but in practice, 99% of the time when the last defender is sent off for this it's not because they denied the person a chance on an empty net but because they denied the person a chance at a 1-on-1 with the keeper. That's why Hackett's answer makes no sense, because surely a 1-on-1 with a defender is a much better goalscoring opportunity than a 1-on-1 with the keeper, and if you remove all the advantage, penalty bullshit that's essentially what it boils down to.

I agree with you. although I think it would be reasonable for a referee to believe the goal was not clear opportunity depending on where the defender was and how well the player had control of the ball. My interpretation of Hackett's answer is that a referee could very well make that decision, and thus deciding not to take advantage is a poor one.

But really, the established precedent of You Are The Ref is that the picture is just supposed to illustrate the text. Where did the defender come from, exactly?

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
If we're going off of the picture that second attacker would be offside. So I don't understand where all this advantage talk is coming from.

If there are other defensive players in the vicinity (goal keeper included) that have a shot at playing the ball, it's not an obvious goal scoring opportunity. If the keep would've made that takedown at the 18, he'd have been sent off.

For reference, DOGSO has to meet all of the following:

Distance from goal
Distance from ball
Direction
Defenders

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It's Friday!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I think Trevillion may have created an exciting new dilemma for the FA with the snood thing, wanna see Tevez do it now and see what happens

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

1. Do nothing.

2. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Keep a close eye on both players throughout the game. Report the incident to the FA.

3. Corner kick.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

SteadfastMeat posted:

I think Trevillion may have created an exciting new dilemma for the FA with the snood thing, wanna see Tevez do it now and see what happens

Apparently snoods can be used as helicopter blades, that guy is clearly hovering.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
1. I'm pretty sure the rule states the word "shirt", so do nothing. Interestingly, I wonder is it against the rules to take your socks off after scoring?

2. Not much you can do, really. I'd say let it go and report the matter to the FA for them to investigate.

3. Indirect freekick from the six yard line, assuming the keeper was inside the six yard box when he tipped it over. It says "back-pass" which for me, means it' intentional rather than taking it off an attacker's toe or something.

edit: no 1 is assuming snoods are still legal. FIFA are trying to ban them but nothing's been done yet, right?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Mickolution posted:

1. I'm pretty sure the rule states the word "shirt", so do nothing. Interestingly, I wonder is it against the rules to take your socks off after scoring?

I think there are rules requiring you to be wearing shorts, shirt, socks, boots and shinpads, so removal of socks might be card-worthy. Snoods are not regulation kit, so are a bit of a grey area I suppose. I doubt Petr Cech would be carded for throwing his goofy rugby hat in the air.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
1. Don't do anything. Bookings are for taking a shirt off, or excessive celebration. Don't think this is excessive.

2. Ask what the money was for, play the match but note the incident and the goalkeepers performance in the match report.

3. Indirect freekick.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The correct answer to 2) is confiscate the money and hand it over to the referee's association, who have recently moved their headquarters to the nearest pub

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
1) Do nothing

2) Make a note in your report

3) Give the corner

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

SteadfastMeat posted:

It's Friday!

1. It's a yellow if you feel they are inciting the crowd
2. you can't do anything but inform your linesman and keep an eye on them. make a note of it in your report
3. It's a corner. Although it was a deliberate pass the keeper didn't actually collect it

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

3. It's a corner. Although it was a deliberate pass the keeper didn't actually collect it

Doesn't matter, he handled the ball.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ok, before I check everyone else

1) Nothing.
2) Put it in the match report.
3) Indirect free kick from where the keeper handled it. MAYBE yellow card the keeper. Maybe.

All seems simple to me.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Mickolution posted:

Interestingly, I wonder is it against the rules to take your socks off after scoring?

That would almost certainly result in a delay of restart.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

CaptainRightful posted:

That would almost certainly result in a delay of restart.

Fair point.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
1) Make fun of him behind his back.
2) Mention that your birthday is coming up, then leave your kit bag on the floor near the players. If you're no richer by kick off, abandon the game.
3) Corner kick. Book anyone who protests, and blame the linesman if it gets brought up again.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

What's the basis for people saying corner?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Mickolution posted:

What's the basis for people saying corner?

They don't think it counts as a backpass if he only parries it rather than collects it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They've not gained any advantage from the backpass, so I'd choose not to be a dick and give the corner.

...No advantage but for the lack of a goal I guess.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

sassassin posted:

They've not gained any advantage from the backpass, so I'd choose not to be a dick and give the corner.

...No advantage but for the lack of a goal I guess.

If he hadn't touched it with his hands, they would have conceded a goal. I'd call that an advantage.

Pretty much every backpass decision comes from a defender playing a poor backpass where the keeper is forced to handle it to stop an attacker getting the ball. This doesn't seem any different to that to me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mickolution posted:

If he hadn't touched it with his hands, they would have conceded a goal. I'd call that an advantage.

Pretty much every backpass decision comes from a defender playing a poor backpass where the keeper is forced to handle it to stop an attacker getting the ball. This doesn't seem any different to that to me.

I see you're one of those refs out to make a name for himself with big decisions good going you're getting your name in the paper tomorrow for sure.

The keeper made a good looking save for the cameras. Be a team player and let it go.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

sassassin posted:

I see you're one of those refs out to make a name for himself with big decisions good going you're getting your name in the paper tomorrow for sure.

The keeper made a good looking save for the cameras. Be a team player and let it go.

No, I'd be one of those refs who knows the rules?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

1. Do nothing unless you're a right prick and think he's inciting the crowd or delaying the restart.
2. Advise both players you will be paying close attention to them, put it in the match report.
3. Indirect freekick in the box from wherever the keeper handled it. Judging by the pic, looks to be pretty close to on the line.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bovine Delight posted:

3. Indirect freekick in the box from wherever the keeper handled it. Judging by the pic, looks to be pretty close to on the line.

If it's inside the 6 yard box I think the freekick is from the line.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mickolution posted:

If it's inside the 6 yard box I think the freekick is from the line.

Sorry, that's the line I was specifying but it wasn't very clear.

Here's the language for everyone who is saying corner:

quote:

"An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his
own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:

• controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing
it from his possession
• touches the ball again with his hands after he has released it from his
possession and before it has touched another player
• touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him
by a team-mate

• touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a
throw-in taken by a team-mate"

The backpass is deliberate, just because the defender overhit it doesn't give the keeper freedom to use his hands.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Bovine Delight posted:

The backpass is deliberate, just because the defender overhit it doesn't give the keeper freedom to use his hands.

ok indirect free kick from 6 yard line then

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
1. Nothing
2. Nothing
3. Corner

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Bovine Delight posted:

Im sure Ive seen this happen and a corner be given though. Possibly something about there being an advantage gained by the backpass?

Looked it up and League Cup semi - Spurs vs Burnley - 21st Jan 09

1951: That was nearly the greatest own goal of all time. The ball falls to Benoit Assou-Ekotto 40 yards from the Spurs goal and the left-back tries to pass it back to Ben Alnwick, but it ends up being a curler towards the top corner that the keeper tips behind for a corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXWBh47Jar0

50 seconds in

The Big Taff Man fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 4, 2011

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

It should have been given as a backpass though, as per the rules Bovine Delight posted. There are plenty of things in You Are The Ref that maybe wouldn't be given if the ref uses common sense, but the answer is usually what it says in the rules or at least should be.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Yeah I think that clip is just a case of "there is no way I could possibly have seen what I just saw", by the time it sinks in the attackers are all moving for a corner, and even though it's incorrect in law no sensible referee would do anything other than give the corner; by not doing it you achieve three things - pissing everybody off, making yourself look like a pedantic twerp, and most importantly you now have to deal with an indirect free-kick inside the penalty area, which is easily the most difficult situation you can possibly leave yourself having to manage.

Loving that snood question. There's something badly wrong with the world if the guy who thought of that doesn't win the shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

For more snood chat, check out the Rules Discussion thread. Snoods (as well as other things) are under review by the IFAB tomorrow.

• Locked thread