Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sent you a PM about it, but another thing is that I think you'll need at least a week between stuff or you still run the same risk of burn out - six hours of any kind of wrestling over a two day period risks overkill, no matter how good the matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

HulkaMatt posted:

The result of the 3 stages of Hell match pissed me off so much that I never watched it again. As far as I'm concerned that match is poo poo. :mad:

Whats going on here? What result? Hunter going over?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Sent you a PM about it, but another thing is that I think you'll need at least a week between stuff or you still run the same risk of burn out - six hours of any kind of wrestling over a two day period risks overkill, no matter how good the matches.

You're right and it's going to give me time to plan things out. I'll also be revising my toxx timeframe.

So my stuff is pending.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

oldpainless posted:

Whats going on here? What result? Hunter going over?

I was a gigantic Austin fan and the way it ended pissed me off. I was very unhappy. :(

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

I was a gigantic Austin fan and the way it ended pissed me off. I was very unhappy. :(

I agree with this. I want to discuss it but that would be spoiling for those who havent seen it...so I wont say anything because i hate spoiling for people.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MassRayPer posted:

They need to do something else with Mark Henry. He is completely useless in his role, and in fact hurts the development of other wrestlers. He's a mid card babyface with some name value so he's a logical person for new heels to beat. But, he sucks. So the heels don't look good going over him. Look at the match with Wade last summer. It's not all his own fault, he is big and that makes it hard to work with him. Especially with more difficult finishers to execute like Barrett's.

He can't put guys over right, he can't be a main eventer, he can't provide the great matches you want a mid card level guy to do, he is not someone who should be an active wrestler.

It is like you really want to say something positive about Mark Henry and the role he should have, but you just hate him too much to get there.

Hating Mark Henry makes sense, sure--and this coming from someone who proudly owns and still wears a "Sexual Chocolate" t-shirt. But like a lot of people who do not seem to have good matches who, by all rights, should be able to have good matches, why not do something actually interesting with him that plays to his strengths (literally)? Reviving the "Holly Cousins" super-heavyweight gimmick in reverse would probably result in who knows how many months of awesome matches with him.

For those who do not remember: they claimed to be super-heavyweights and carried a scale to the ring to force their opponents to prove they were in the appropriate weight class to wrestle them. Mark Henry claiming to be a bantamweight lucha wrestler and refusing to wrestle anyone over 200 pounds would have magnificent results; he has definitely had good matches against small people (shocking, I know).

He has not, however, had any good press-slam matches against Viscera.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

AkumaHokoru posted:

I agree with this. I want to discuss it but that would be spoiling for those who havent seen it...so I wont say anything because i hate spoiling for people.

Well we just had a discussion of who won so

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!

AkumaHokoru posted:

Thanks. As it happens, I'm currently watching the Legacy of Stone Cold Steve Austin and I'm planning on watching that match next.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CSammich posted:

This is true in general but not always. Mark Henry and Big Show notably got 10 year guaranteed deals.

I'm pretty sure the WWF started giving out guaranteed deals around 1996 due to competition from WCW and eventually stopped when WCW went out of business. I recall Mick Foley mentioning how he got a contract with no guaranteed money and then two weeks later, Marc Mero jumped to the WWF and got guaranteed money.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Suben posted:

Jamie Noble lives in Melbourne, FL which isn't far from where I live (only a few miles). I've never actually seen him around though.

I used to live in Melbourne, I ran into him in a store once. I didnt want to take his time so I just told him I was a fan and left him alone.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
When did Taker's streak actually become "the streak"?

... and by that I mean both A.) When did fans start taking note of it, and B.) When did WWE start playing it up for Taker's mania feuds?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

LightsGameraAction posted:

... and by that I mean both A.) When did fans start taking note of it, and B.) When did WWE start playing it up for Taker's mania feuds?

I don't remember it being a thing until maybe Wrestlemania 21 or 22. Can't remember which, but it was definitely talked about by the time 23 rolled around.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
They talked about him going 10-0 at WrestleMania X8 against Flair. They didn't really make a big deal about it though.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

DannoMack posted:

So which contracts are the worst in wrestling history? Actually, let's make that WWE history because allowing WCW into that mix would be too easy. Mark Henry has been mentioned, and Marc Mero got a tonne of money too and nothing came of him, right? Who are the Vernon Wells of the WWE?

How about Hall's, Nash's, and Hogan's contracts from 2002? You have a drunk bastard, a walking injury and a guy with a giant sized ego, what could could go wrong?

Well, Hall was released a few months into his contract. Nash tore his quad just a few months in, and though he did return(it wasn't for a year),he was placed in a boring feud with Triple H in 2003(then released). Hogan went onto try to relive his glory days, but that ran out of steam pretty quick, and then he was released over a money dispute(anytime Hogan gets 'released').

I was actually excited for a new NWO, but how can you have it when the 3 main members are useless?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The worst WWF contract of all time was probably whatever money they gave to Ultimate Warrior to return in 1996.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am not sure if its the best or the worst but WCWs contract for the Genius. The best due to the face that he got paid a poo poo load to poo poo at home. The worst due to the fact that he got paid a poo poo load to sit at home while others had to bust there asses for less pay.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 9, 2011

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

ColeM posted:

I was actually excited for a new NWO, but how can you have it when the 3 main members are useless?

Weren't they the 3 only members that time around? Had they tacked anyone else even marginally more dependable onto it it might have run for a little while longer.

As for the contract thing, aren't most Legends contracts just WWE paying retired wrestlers to not do or say anything wrestling-related without their consent?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It was a small part of the build for his match with HHH at X7 but that match may or may not exist according to WWE! I believe it also briefly came up as easy as WM 13.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Weren't they the 3 only members that time around? Had they tacked anyone else even marginally more dependable onto it it might have run for a little while longer.

As for the contract thing, aren't most Legends contracts just WWE paying retired wrestlers to not do or say anything wrestling-related without their consent?

I remember Nash got injured at WM18 and he didn't even have his own match, it was Hall's squash loss to Austin. They had Booker T, Xpac, Big Show and HBK join up... ahh yeah you're right. The angle wasn't even worth it after WM 18 once Hogan left anyways.

But then again, this was the WWE getting desperate for any kind of business spike after the Invasion fell flat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bobkatt013 posted:

I am not sure if its the best or the worst but WCWs contract for the Genius. The best due to the face that he got paid a poo poo load to poo poo at home. The worst due to the fact that he got paid a poo poo load to poo poo at home while others had to bust there asses for less pay.

I seriously can believe that it was written into Genius' contract that he had to take his shits at home.

Ted Turner: I'm not made of toilets, drat it!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

I seriously can believe that it was written into Genius' contract that he had to take his shits at home.

Ted Turner: I'm not made of toilets, drat it!

It was WCW

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

ColeM posted:

But then again, this was the WWE getting desperate for any kind of business spike after the Invasion fell flat.

Ironically had any of them came in during the Invasion angle, it probably would have gone a lot differently.

Same with Goldberg and Flair.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Who has been the most recent WWE release to completely vanish?

I've not heard anything about the Heartthrobs or Rob Conway in years.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

MassRayPer posted:

It was a small part of the build for his match with HHH at X7 but that match may or may not exist according to WWE! I believe it also briefly came up as easy as WM 13.

I know it was a fairly big part of the build at X7 because my friends an I all were pretty sure that HHH would break it, and we all marked when Taker got the win.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Giedroyc posted:

Who has been the most recent WWE release to completely vanish?

I've not heard anything about the Heartthrobs or Rob Conway in years.
Romeo the Heartthrob has been doing indy appearances at least. He did a run-in and promo at a show I was on a couple years ago, and I saw him on an ad for another local show pretty recently.

Regarding the streak, Taker held up ten fingers after he beat Flair, so it was definitely a talked-about thing by then.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Rarity posted:

You are the reason I said "pretty much all" and not "all" :) And I actually kinda enjoyed it too, but only cause I was laughing at all the rage in the GDT. Without that, it would have been terrible.
Just throwing in my two cents, plus I do think a lot of people would enjoy Raw more if they had more realistic expectations.

Pneub posted:

HHH's loving leg man, holy poo poo. The DVD (and video tape) bonus features showed him getting it patched up, backstage, it looked like a bullet hole.
Whenever I watch that I'm always amazed that Foley wasn't worried enough about his eyes enough to allow himself to be pedigreed on those thumb tacks.

Pneub posted:

To add on to that, he made it to the top on his own wrestling talent and skill at back-stage politics. He stayed at the top ten years past his prime because he married the bosses' daughter.
I don't think that's quite fair, there was definitely a time where he was one of the most consistent and reliable performers in the WWE when they had some of the best talent they have ever had. I think a more fair criticism would be that he wasn't conscious of when this time had passed and that he had a responsibility having the position he did to help new stars fill the shoes of performers who left before him.

I don't think it's fair to insinuate he over stayed his welcome either, I think now is the right time for him to retire, but he should have evolved his role in the company during the last ten years in light of what he had to contribute to younger stars and his physical condition.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

It was a small part of the build for his match with HHH at X7 but that match may or may not exist according to WWE!

It boggles the mind that it's the 10th Anniversary of that match and they're not referencing it at all. Especially considering the storyline was basically the same (but with Kane threatening to kill Stephanie and restraining orders).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

reality_groove posted:

It boggles the mind that it's the 10th Anniversary of that match and they're not referencing it at all. Especially considering the storyline was basically the same (but with Kane threatening to kill Stephanie and restraining orders).
Wasn't the story basically "We're main eventers with nothing to do at Wrestlemania, let's fight!"

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I specifically remember Taker saying he'd beaten everyone and HHH coming out to say he'd never beaten him. Or the other way round, I forget.
Also:
"This is my yard"
"Your yard is in the middle of my ring"

So, pretty much what you said.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
That just made me think with them selling him as The Dead Man/Last Outlaw maybe they just don't want to draw attention to Biker 'Taker.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Sue Denim posted:

That just made me think with them selling him as The Dead Man/Last Outlaw maybe they just don't want to draw attention to Biker 'Taker.

Cause there's nothing less "outlaw" than riding a motorcycle.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

reality_groove posted:

It boggles the mind that it's the 10th Anniversary of that match and they're not referencing it at all.

I think even the WWE knows that they're pulling this out of their rear end and need to sell it hard, and bringing up that they had this match 10 years ago and Taker won certainly won't help their efforts.

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Take care fella...spike your hair! :fella:

Sue Denim posted:

Just throwing in my two cents, plus I do think a lot of people would enjoy Raw more if they had more realistic expectations.

I don't think it's very unrealistic to actually expect wrestling on a wrestling show, really. Nor do I think it's unrealistic to expect them to not bury their entire roster while the Shovel sits in the ring and has a dick waving contest with the Undertaker.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

reality_groove posted:

I imagine they don't want to date themselves. 10 years is a lifetime ago, especially to the significant portion of the audience that either was a baby or wasn't born yet at the time.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

quote:

We've had under a half-hour combined of televised wrestling over the past two weeks of RAW. How low are your expectations for the professional wrestling television show where expecting at least this much on a weekly basis is considered "setting the bar too high?"

I know you're into promos and stuff, which is fine, but if that's seriously the driving force behind why you're watching wrestling maybe you should just watch Mad Men or Breaking Bad or something, instead of telling the wrestling fans who want to watch the thing they're fans of that they're just expecting too much of pro wrestling. If you went to a show and the band spent the majority of their set engaging in between-song banter, would you be okay with that?

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
What was the name London and Kendrick would often be called when they were the tag champs?

I know here on the board they were just Londrick, but I know they had some wacky name too. But I can't remember what it was :(

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Space Cob posted:

What was the name London and Kendrick would often be called when they were the tag champs?

I know here on the board they were just Londrick, but I know they had some wacky name too. But I can't remember what it was :(
Hooligans?

Trapjaw
Jan 30, 2005

Sup, Haddonfield?

Living Vicariously posted:

I think even the WWE knows that they're pulling this out of their rear end and need to sell it hard, and bringing up that they had this match 10 years ago and Taker won certainly won't help their efforts.

I would absolutely mention this match. It was actually pretty loving good.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Space Cob posted:

"London & Kendrick". Nothing iconic or memorable. Probably anticipating their inevitable return to singles wrestling despite (I think) having the longest tag title reign in the company's history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Space Cob posted:

They wanted to be called the Hooligans and pushed for it and had in on their ring gear and everything, but the company thought that no one would remember their names if they had a tag team name.