Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
I agree, we should be fair and also blame those people for being in their city and looking at the big crash. Clearly it's all very murky, safest bet is to bomb first and sort out 'basic human morals' later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would hope the US military is in the habit of identifying targets before trying to kill them. I guess from what you are telling me that is not the case.

My questions was whether they were going to get in trouble anyway: I suppose the answer is No?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

IRQ posted:

So... he should have just hoped they weren't going to kill him? That doesn't seem like a very good idea. I think dropping some bombs between him and the group to let them know to stop coming at him is the better idea.

Using *bombs* in that situation is in general ill-advised. With strafing overhead you run a far smaller risk of hurting anyone unintendedly (well, supposing that it's a desert) while still sending a clear message. Although you might hurt them with the falling shell cases... :ohdear:

Fighters could drop some flares just to spook them off, too. Hell, even a low overpass will send folks running for safety, although that has its own risks.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 22, 2011

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.
Before you go on placing blame, it should be pointed out that we still haven't got a clear picture of what exactly happened. There is no confirmation said bombs actually harmed anyone.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

euphronius posted:

I would hope the US military is in the habit of identifying targets before trying to kill them. I guess from what you are telling me that is not the case.

My questions was whether they were going to get in trouble anyway: I suppose the answer is No?

No see, it's safe, we just WANTED set off high explosives between a wrecked plane, a (wounded?) pilot, and a group of civilians! I don't see anything wrong with that, we're not monsters here man.

Stroh M.D. posted:

Before you go on placing blame, it should be pointed out that we still haven't got a clear picture of what exactly happened. There is no confirmation said bombs actually harmed anyone.

Yea, we could have just scared civilians into obedience with a display of high military force. Anyway here's why we have to kill terrorists...

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Using *bombs* in that situation is in general ill-advised. With strafing overhead you run a far smaller risk of hurting anyone unintendedly (well, supposing that it's a desert) while still sending a clear message. Although you might hurt them with the falling shell cases... :ohdear:

Fighters could drop some flares just to spook them off, too.

Well, that's another thing were WW2 fighters have an advantage. Modern fighters can't exactly hug the ground safely, if they did any of these things it would have to be done from such an altitude that it probably would have gone unnoticed by the people below.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Stroh M.D. posted:

Well, that's another thing were WW2 fighters have an advantage. Modern fighters can't exactly hug the ground safely, if they did any of these things it would have to be done from such an altitude that it probably would have gone unnoticed by the people below.

That's one of the benefits of Harrier (supposing they really were present), they can do slow passes thanks to the VTOL technology :science:

It might not be deemed safe in a war zone right after a jet fighter has crashed, mind you.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

shotgunbadger posted:

No see, it's safe, we just WANTED set off high explosives between a wrecked plane, a (wounded?) pilot, and a group of civilians! I don't see anything wrong with that, we're not monsters here man.

Yea, we could have just scared civilians into obedience with a display of high military force. Anyway here's why we have to kill terrorists...

The point is that we really haven't got a clear picture of anything at this point. The different reports are almost mutually exclusive: Hilsum says the Osprey did it, Ulsh from the Marines says no-one did it, the unnamed Marine officer says the Harriers may have done it.

At this point it's completely impossible to say whether the pilot directed the bombs a mile, a few hundred feet or almost on top of the crowd. There's a ton of difference.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Killing someone out of assumed self defence with no proof of impending assault and then blaming the victim is not an acceptable defence.

The fog of war is not carte blanche to light up every fucker you see.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Nenonen posted:

That's one of the benefits of Harrier (supposing they really were present), they can do slow passes thanks to the VTOL technology :science:

It might not be deemed safe in a war zone right after a jet fighter has crashed, mind you.

It definitely wouldn't be safe, it would be like asking for an RPG or small arms fire up your rear end. Hell, you would be put at risk of crashing by someone tossing a rock into your air intake.

It may have been a smart move in this case. But doctrine completely forbids it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Except the US military does it with callous disregard, then tries to handwave it away after (usually blaming the victim, I guess those people certainly deserved to die for daring to walk anywhere near an American). Constantly. When do you start holding someone responsible for constantly making fatal "mistakes" and making no significant effort to reduce those mistakes?

And all the other militaries in the world do it more professionally?

Also, no one died in this incident.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This was just posted on LibyaFeb17.com:

quote:

Al Jazeera Arabic
At last, a coordinating council has been formed between the Revolutionary brigades and the defected Army battalions. This council will ensure that all military action is coordinated for maximum effectiveness.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Xandu posted:

A bar set surprisingly low by our past endeavors.

In other news, long time fans of public dissent Saudi Arabia come out in support.
BBC:

quote:

2047: Saudi Arabia has expressed its support for the military operation in Libya. The Saudis have moved to clamp down on protests in their own country, but they have been on bad terms with Col Gaddafi for years. UK Prime Minister David Cameron met Saudi Foreign Minister in London for talks on Tuesday. "Prince Saud expressed strong support for the aims of UNSCR 1973 [authorising the no-fly zone] and the steps being taken by the international community to enforce it," Downing St said in a statement after the meeting.

When asked to clarify this compared to their position on Bahrain and Yemen, Prince Saud explained "gently caress You.".

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Apparently this is a Khamis brigade training video, with recruits eating dog flesh, and kissing the head of the dead dog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwAwNnq1I8M&feature=player_embedded

I also noticed this:

quote:

AJA reporting that Hussain Warfally, an important Gaddafi general, killed in western Tripoli clashes.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Apparently this is a Khamis brigade training video, with recruits eating dog flesh, and kissing the head of the dead dog:

For those that don't know, dogs are incredibly popular in the Arab world and this will upset pet lovers throughout the region.

Also, there's a slight religious thing.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Xandu posted:

Lovely deflection, the concept of a professional armed forces goes beyond not building it out of conscripts and is one of high standards, no military is perfect but when incidents do occur actively investigating and bringing perpetrators to justice is essential and not institutionally covering up and pretending they don't happen is key (as wikileaks has displayed the US military loving loves to do).

quote:

Well I guess that makes things loving dandy then.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Competition posted:

Lovely deflection, the concept of a professional armed forces goes beyond not building it out of conscripts and is one of high standards, no military is perfect but when incidents do occur actively investigating and bringing perpetrators to justice is essential and not institutionally covering up and pretending they don't happen is key (as wikileaks has displayed the US military loving loves to do).

No my point is military action is loving awful and people shouldn't be clamoring for it when events like this are inevitable (edit: a quick look at your post history indicates you supported this, though I could be wrong).

quote:

Well I guess that makes things loving dandy then.

Sorry for wanting accuracy.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More on the rescue:

quote:

Tom Kington, who is on board the USS Kearsarge in the Mediterranean, has filed an update for the Guardian which clarifies the circumstances in which a number of villagers were injured during the extraction of a downed US air crew on Monday night:

quote:

A US military spokesman has said that American Harrier jump jets dropped two bombs in Libya on Monday close to where a US pilot parachuted to the ground after his jet suffered a mechanical failure.

Reports from Libya on Tuesday claimed that a US helicopter arriving to rescue the F-15E pilot near Benghazi fired on locals, injuring six.

The spokesman denied those reports, but he later conceded on Tuesday that two Harrier aircraft on the scene had dropped two 500lb laser guided bombs on armoured vehicles seen near the downed pilot.

"We did drop two GPU bombs to defend the pilot," said Captain Richard Ulsh. "There were armoured vehicles in the area, close to him, enough to be a threat."

Ulce said he could not confirm reports that the strike had been called in by the downed pilot.

"I know the vehicles were spotted by the Harrier pilots. They did a show of force, flying very low, but the vehicles continued on their path. The pilots got permission to strike because they believed they were endangering our pilot."

The Harriers flew to the scene from the USS Kearsarge off the Libyan coast. Two Osprey tiltrotor aircraft were also dispatched from the Kearsarge to pick up the pilot and returned him to the vessel where he is now being given medical treatment.

Early reports claimed those helicopters fired on locals, but Ulsh said there had been no gun fire, suggesting the Libyans may have been injured by the bomb blasts.

A second crew member who ejected was rescued by Libyans and later handed over to US officials.

"The two Ospreys went after the pilot because we had a fix on him. We did not have instructions to go after the other crew member," said Ulsh. "It must have been felt he was safe."

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

More on the rescue:
[/quote]

That still makes no drat sense. If they actually attacked armoured vehicles, those would have belonged to the rebels. And if they hit them, casualties wouldn't had stayed at wounded - providing that's true.

Stroh M.D. fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 22, 2011

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I think many people continue to assume that a "no fly zone" is enforced by burying the enemy in extremely soft pillows, and the people manning the pillow guns are extremely calm and intelligent old men with very slow reaction times and a lot of impulse control who have never seen movies such as "BlackHawk Down".

Also a prevalent assumption that most European governments cannot see past a month or so down the road and will not be expecting very favorable concessions from people they just leaned on the US to directly save. Much more favorable concessions than crazy-ol' Muammar "Occasionally I like to engage in a little terrorism in your countries to keep you on your toes" Gaddafi.

If France is participating in an African conflict out of the goodness of its governments heart, this is for sure the first time it has done so, and is most likely some sort of sign of the end times.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Seems pretty standard stuff for initiating recruits in any European army... some 50-100 years ago, probably still in Russia. Bullying the recruits tends to be a lot worse most of the time where it's allowed, I would bet that that was an unusually pleasant day for them compared to usual.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Baddog posted:

I think many people continue to assume that a "no fly zone" is enforced by burying the enemy in extremely soft pillows, and the people manning the pillow guns are extremely calm and intelligent old men with very slow reaction times and a lot of impulse control who have never seen movies such as "BlackHawk Down".

How silly of people expecting standards from a professional western military.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Chronojam posted:

I'm not sure how reporters or witnesses would confuse that with a pow-pow from guns, or miss the explosions :psyduck:

Welcome to war reporting in the Greater Middle East.

I pretty much expect to see non-tanks be called tanks, and planes dropping defensive flares to be "bombing", and get pleasantly surprised when they do it right. Likewise people having trigger discipline and aiming their guns.

LO Technology posted:

As Mr. Gadaffi has wisely informed the world, this is now about drawings of a prophet. http://www.cphpost.dk/classifieds/services/51251.html?task=view
:laugh:

Would be funny if Denmark takes the lead though. Even better if Qatar does it, being the owner of Al Jazeera and all, but I don't think either has capacity to do that alone.

Anyway, with AC-130U Spookys arriving at nearby bases, close air support of rebels, and special forces on the ground is a definite possibility. They could just be keeping them in reserve in case of pilot extractions though.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Seems pretty standard stuff for initiating recruits in any European army... some 50-100 years ago, probably still in Russia. Bullying the recruits tends to be a lot worse most of the time where it's allowed, I would bet that that was an unusually pleasant day for them compared to usual.
I seem to remember reading a report that certain parts of the Peruvian special forces tied a dog up and cut its heart out while it was alive. Hopefully there would have been public backlash there that stopped it but what the gently caress.

I'd like to think European nations are participating in this because their public demands it, translating to much needed popularity boosts for struggling governments: good enough reason for me, at least better than more cynical economic or security explanations. With the recent Lockerbie coverage I'm kinda surprised the American public don't feel the same way considering how much they like killing their own murderers.

Vir posted:

I pretty much expect to see non-tanks be called tanks, and planes dropping defensive flares to be "bombing", and get pleasantly surprised when they do it right. Likewise people having trigger discipline and aiming their guns.
Maybe journalists just call them tanks because they think more accurate and complicated descriptions detract from the point their making, rather than just out of ignorance of the hardware.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Brown Moses posted:

"You know...don't you think it's odd that part our introduction here is that we abuse defenseless animals? Dogs even? Man's best friend! Why are we abusing man's best friend in ritual?"

"Uh...I guess so. What's your point?"

"Are we the baddies?"

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vir posted:

I also throw unfired bullets at people to intimidate them.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Breaking news on the subject of Khamis Khaddafi's possible death

Secretary Clinton confirms...

quote:

#
2218: Hillary Clinton says that though she heard reports that one of Col Gaddafi's sons had been killed, the "evidence is not sufficient" to confirm this. She told ABC that it was not US forces that would have killed him.

...that we still don't know if he's dead, but it wasn't us if he is.

Also, my joke may have been too subtle, but in case you guys talking about the dog thing aren't aware, that dogs are considered unclean by most(I believe) branches of Islam. To put it in similar perspective it would be like Jewish units forcing you to eat raw pig as an initiation ritual.

Of course no idea how observant every single person in the brigade is, but hopefully that sort of footage undercuts any feeling of religious based solidarity with Khaddafi.

farraday fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 22, 2011

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Wasn't the claim of Khamis' death related to the claim of a suicide airplane attack on the Gaddafi complex in Tripoli, which was disproven? Or have there been other claims of his death since?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

farraday posted:

Also, my joke may have been too subtle, but in case you guys talking about the dog thing aren't aware, that dogs are considered unclean by most(I believe) branches of Islam. To put it in similar perspective it would be like Jewish units forcing you to eat raw pig as an initiation ritual.

Of course no idea how observant every single person in the brigade is, but hopefully that sort of footage undercuts any feeling of religious based solidarity with Khaddafi.

It's fitting though - to psychologically prime your fighting force into a gaggle of willing crooked murdering sociopaths that kill innocents for sport, get them all to engage in animal abuse. The way that the kid who grows up to become a serial killer abuses and mutilates animals.

I think we're only going to uncover more and more lunatic asylum like behavior among the dictator's supporters & regime as more of the regime gets laid bare.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 22, 2011

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Competition posted:

Look up the Haditha killings and the various reports in wikileaks of heavy handed assaults against civilians by the US military (which were subsiquently brushed aside), combined with ASPA being passed where it's only goal is to protect US troops from being prosecuted for war crimes and authorises the invasion of the Netherlands to do so. The US military has gained a reputation it seems completely unconcerned about.

No, I think he means where Iraqis went out of their way to find Marines to fight with and let easier Army units walk through their territory. Now that I'd like to read about.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Nenonen posted:

Wasn't the claim of Khamis' death related to the claim of a suicide airplane attack on the Gaddafi complex in Tripoli, which was disproven? Or have there been other claims of his death since?

I believe there was a claim he was injured or killed when Gads Tripoli complex was hit.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Nenonen posted:

I think that's where the original claim came from, but it could be two disparate events could have been tied together through the rumor mill. This son hasn't been seen though which is why it persists.

Times: I think it has less to do with animal abuse as a signifier of anti-social behavior and more to do with a shared rejection of social norms as a signifier of group solidarity. We're all bastards together. I think animal abuse as the sort of precursor you're talking about follows a different behavior path.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Vir posted:

:eng99: At least she's an older woman, I'm willing to give her a bit of a pass.

Alright, so it sounds like there is still information coming in about the aircraft loss and pilot rescue. Let me see if I have it straight so far. Two guys ejected at high altitude after a malfunction, and landed apart unsurprisingly.

Next, a pair of patrol jets (Harriers) saw armored vehicles headed his way, suspected them hostile, and did a threatening flyover. The armored vehicles did not adjust course, so they dropped small precision bombs. Neither side has reported casualties resembling those losses.

An earlier report (perhaps now amended?) suggests that one of the downed pilots may have requested the strike to ward off unknown forces inbound on his position. That does not necessarily conflict, as "I see things coming to me, can you scare them off" from the pilot might equate to "Okay we see vehicles moving to him" for the Harriers... although that's more speculation trying to rectify the discrepency.

Two Osprey helicopteresque aircraft are sent to conduct a rescue of one pilot after the other is safely in rebel hands. Eyewitnesses say they did see helicopter(s) arrive to rescue the pilot. One reporter suggests the (by all accounts unarmed) Ospreys fired upon a crowd of civilians with what must have been small caliber weapons to warn them. A couple reports of other aircraft strafing, but no outside reports of the Harrier jets dropping their bombs.

Is there more or less where things stand?

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Nenonen posted:

It hasn't been disproven, there is lots of speculation about it but until Khamis turns up somewhere or the wreckage of a plane is found in the rubble then we won't know for sure. We know a Tomahawk fired from a Royal Navy submarine levelled one building in his compound, but did that attack kill him? Did a suicide bomber? Is he dead at all? gently caress knows.

It does seem a bit unlikely that even a rebel plane would be flying around over Tripoli though.

Ireland Sucks fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 22, 2011

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Chronojam posted:

:eng99: At least she's an older woman, I'm willing to give her a bit of a pass.

Alright, so it sounds like there is still information coming in about the aircraft loss and pilot rescue. Let me see if I have it straight so far. Two guys ejected at high altitude after a malfunction, and landed apart unsurprisingly.

Next, a pair of patrol jets (Harriers) saw armored vehicles headed his way, suspected them hostile, and did a threatening flyover. The armored vehicles did not adjust course, so they dropped small precision bombs. Neither side has reported casualties resembling those losses.

An earlier report (perhaps now amended?) suggests that one of the downed pilots may have requested the strike to ward off unknown forces inbound on his position. That does not necessarily conflict, as "I see things coming to me, can you scare them off" from the pilot might equate to "Okay we see vehicles moving to him" for the Harriers... although that's more speculation trying to rectify the discrepency.

Two Osprey helicopteresque aircraft are sent to conduct a rescue of one pilot after the other is safely in rebel hands. Eyewitnesses say they did see helicopter(s) arrive to rescue the pilot. One reporter suggests the (by all accounts unarmed) Ospreys fired upon a crowd of civilians with what must have been small caliber weapons to warn them. A couple reports of other aircraft strafing, but no outside reports of the Harrier jets dropping their bombs.

Is there more or less where things stand?

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. Still doesn't make a ton of sense, as you see.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
As farraday mentioned the reason they're doing this to a dog is most likely because of the many passages that Muhammad wrote about dogs in the Holy Quran. Basically this training is teaching the men "Put your faith in Country before God." Lots of societies have all sorts of bizarre rituals to do similar things for thousands of years so it isn't surprising. Still weird as hell.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Korak posted:

As farraday mentioned the reason they're doing this to a dog is most likely because of the many passages that Muhammad wrote about dogs in the Holy Quran. Basically this training is teaching the men "Put your faith in Country before God." Lots of societies have all sorts of bizarre rituals to do similar things for thousands of years so it isn't surprising. Still weird as hell.

That and ritual animal abuse/slaughter/mutilation has a psychological effect in hardening troops to commit atrocity on your behalf. If you can get them to abuse a dog like that, you can certainly get them to massacre innocent civilians.

Of course, troops used to bullying/murdering the defenseless are in for a surprise against trained forces - not one of those men would last a minute alone with a US marine.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 22, 2011

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Times posted:

That and ritual animal abuse/slaughter/mutilation has a psychological effect in hardening troops to commit atrocity on your behalf. If you can get them to abuse a dog like that, you can certainly get them to massacre innocent civilians.

Of course, troops used to bullying/murdering the defenseless are in for a surprise against trained forces - not one of those men would last a minute alone with a US marine.

I think your context for that is a little too westernized bourgeoisie where physical butchery of animals happens steps removed from consumption, but I can't swear that it makes a difference to what you're talking about and it's not really all that relevant to the point.

I would not particularly mind if the video there resulted in Khaddafi getting buried in fatwas from leading scholars.

In other news. Biden's reassuring the UAE we're still cool.
BBC:

quote:

#
2241: The US Vice-President Joe Biden has spoken to the UAE's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayid al Nahyan on the phone on Tuesday, the White House says. He expressed his "strong appreciation" for the UAE's "significant humanitarian contribution to the international effort on Libya".

Unfortunately he then asked them if they'd heard about this Bahrain thing which he described as a "big loving deal," at which point the call ended.

In the area of non explosive aid

AJE

quote:

12:49am

The UN is preparing to bring more aid into Libya. UNHCR spokesman Adrian Edwards says the agency will send truckloads of goods to Benghazi on Wednesday, including 5,000 blankets and 5,000 sleeping mats.

"Providing humanitarian assistance under current circumstances is very challenging," he said."There are reported shortages of medical supplies and basic commodities in the eastern part of the country, with prices having increased dramatically."

The UN World Food Programme plans to move 19 tons of lentils and 11 tons of vegetable oil in the next two days from Egypt into eastern Libya.

farraday fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 23, 2011

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

AJE posted:

Turkey blocks no-fly zone role for NATO

France has proposed that a new political steering committee outside of NATO be responsible for overseeing military operations over Libya to enforce a UN-backed no-fly zone.

The announcement came after Turkey, a NATO member, warned on Tuesday that it could not agree to the military alliance taking over the enforcement of the no-fly zone if their mission went "outside the framework" of the UN decision.

Alain Juppe, the French foreign minister, said the new body would bring together foreign ministers from participating states, including Britain, France and the US, as well as the Arab League.

It is expected to meet in the coming days, either in Brussels, London or Paris.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2011/03/2011322181336891487.html

I suppose this just means the idea of allowing NATO to take command is ruled out, as it seemed this issue was jumping between the UN, Coalition, and NATO countries.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
The whole NATO debate is dumb precisely because they're still going to use the organizational structure and intel that NATO provides. To quote Shakespeare, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose / By any other name would smell as sweet." Call it whatever the Arab League wants, the same process will likely go down.

Actually it's worse if NATO isn't directly involved since this removes some serious accountability to the mission. Geneva and other treaties still have be followed but specific NATO mission directives get to be tossed out the window since this mission isn't technically under the umbrella of NATO.

• Locked thread