Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

euphronius posted:

Yes I know I was speaking more theoretically. As in there are, unlike the Roman Empire, actual checks on the president. Well there were checks on the Roman emperor too. So that is a bad example.

Are you calling for the senate to go fill him full of daggers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8tEptX0wtM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc-ivt27pzE

Classy.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

It doesn't matter what he said. People need to hear what he has to say. There's no one else who can say what he can say. It doesn't matter what he said.

BBC:

quote:

2211: Libyan state news agency Jana is reporting that coalition raids have hit a residential neighbourhood east of the capital and killed "a large number" of civilians. The report cannot be verified.

Later attempts to drive to this neighborhood will fail when the local drivers got confused and ended up at the recently leveled Tajura military base.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Well, this IS the guy who recently claimed his intense love for his country guided his penis into the vagina of another woman when his wife was on her death bed.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From http://twitter.com/LibyaNewMedia via the BBC:

quote:

1- Oh my God! I just read a horrible report from Almnara. I'm shaking trying to imagine the feelings of the parents. Shocking story.

2-Coalition forces Bomb 6 #Gaddafi camps in Tajoura, Tripoli where the prisoners detained from past weeks were taken by Gaddafi forces.

3-After the bombing Gaddafi forces gave the dead bodies of prisoners from Tajoura to their families saying the coalition forces killed them.

4-Residents started to shout "the blood of the martyrs will not go wasted" angry at Gaddafi forces

5-Demonstrations began with firing from Gaddafi forces. The wounded began arriving to the hospital in Zawiyah street.

Please get this story out now to Tripoli journalists and elsewhere. Do not allow Gaddafi to use his evil deeds to his propaganda benefit!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

I like this one from LibyaNewMedia

quote:

amworldtodaypm #Misurata call: (Q: How many snipers?): "We expect they are more than 60/70 snipers. If tanks go out of city, we can deal with snipers."

Dealing with snipers may or may not involved death by mob.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

President Kucinich posted:

We're spending billions on this when we're discussing cutting food programs for the poor.

How many billions? I thought we just moved subs and carriers that were not that far away already (Bahrain 5th Fleet) and let a couple hundred missiles fly? This poo poo happen way too fast for it to be that expensive.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

breaklaw posted:

How many billions? I thought we just moved subs and carriers that were not that far away already (Bahrain 5th Fleet) and let a couple hundred missiles fly? This poo poo happen way too fast for it to be that expensive.

The UK operation has been in the region of '10s of millions' so far according to the chancellor. I know the US operation has been bigger but certainly not in the range of billions. And this money was never going to go on food programmes anyway.

Ireland Sucks fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 24, 2011

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

breaklaw posted:

A billion dollars on equipment and man-power was spent in the first 2 days alone. War is an expensive game. But of course teachers making $40,000 a year are the REAL threats to a debt-free America.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

farraday posted:

Later attempts to drive to this neighborhood will fail when the local drivers got confused and ended up at the recently leveled Tajura military base.

Al Jazeera English Libya blog posted:

11:16pm: Our correspondent Anita McNaught, in Tripoli, journalists were driven around the city earlier today with a promise from the government of being taken to see the scene of a coaltion air strike, some civilian casualties, maybe even a hospital.

"But none of this happened. After being driven around for 45 minuets or so, we were being taken back to the hotel and they said they couldn't find the right address."

Thunderstorm
Jul 7, 2002
Shtoopid Noobie?

Slave posted:

The UK operation has been in the region of '10s of millions' so far according to the chancellor. I know the US operation has been bigger but certainly not in the range of billions. And this money was never going to go on food programmes anyway.

100 cruise missiles: 100 million. One downed eagle: 30 million. [insert adequate "priceless" pun here.]

Not sure how many other missiles were used, but I'm sure they aren't from a dollar-store either. So while it's not a billion yet, it most likely will be at least one.

The Angry Bum posted:

A billion dollars on equipment and man-power was spent in the first 2 days alone. War is an expensive game. But of course teachers making $40,000 a year are the REAL threats to a debt-free America.

You can't really count manpower that would have needed paying anyway. Same goes for the equipment. Increased maintenance cost might be a factor, but I call bullshit on a billion in two days.

Edit: It was an eagle, not a tomcat, that hugged the ground.

Thunderstorm fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 24, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Thunderstorm posted:

100 cruise missiles: 100 million. One downed tomcat: 30 million. [insert adequate "priceless" pun here.]

Is Iran helping with the NFZ? Cause they're the only people still operating F-14s. (If those are even airworthy anymore)

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
I'll go $1B for the the whole thing once it's done and dusted but no way we are there yet.

Also, although I have (a little) respect for Kucinich, his war powers\consult congress poo poo is going nowhere. Liberal Dems, GOP talking poo poo about this war is going nowhere. Republicans might want to damage Obama but the military industrial complex still has big dog status when it comes to the "rules" about force being used, and won't allow any dangerous precedents to be set.

edit: I'm still calling 3 weeks or less for this whole to be over. Too much is riding on this for Obabma, Cameron, Sarkozy and others. Gaddafi is getting regime changed'd one way or another, soon.

breaklaw fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 24, 2011

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?

IRQ posted:

(If those are even airworthy anymore)

like america's F-15s? :v:

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Times posted:

Well, this IS the guy who recently claimed his intense love for his country guided his penis into the vagina of another woman when his wife was on her death bed.

What is the real "surprise" here is that he cheated on his wife with another woman instead of a man? What is this guy another GOP maverick?

The Angry Bum posted:

A billion dollars on equipment and man-power was spent in the first 2 days alone. War is an expensive game. But of course UNIONS and teachers making $40,000 a year are the REAL threats to a debt-free America.

Fixed for you.

GORILLA BASTARD fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 24, 2011

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
I hate the amount of money that gets spent on the military as much as the next guy, but this is the first thing since I've started paying taxes I could go along with so yea.. IMO its in bad taste to start making money spending arguments about Libya.

I feel for Obama though. He seems completely hosed no matter what. The daily show is ripping him first for spending money on Lybia, then for not spending money on the other nations that have the fires of revolution sparking up. He literally can not win.

Its really easy to be a critic in this situation, especially with Americas past in the ME.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

sweeptheleg posted:

I hate the amount of money that gets spent on the military as much as the next guy, but this is the first thing since I've started paying taxes I could go along with so yea.. IMO its in bad taste to start making money spending arguments about Libya.

I feel for Obama though. He seems completely hosed no matter what. The daily show is ripping him first for spending money on Lybia, then for not spending money on the other nations that have the fires of revolution sparking up. He literally can not win.

Its really easy to be a critic in this situation, especially with Americas past in the ME.

I have to think that things would have been a bit different, had Obarry made a move a week or so before they ultimately did. It doesn't help that he has been on a perceived roadtrip vacation, picking his sweet sixteen, etcetera while all of this and Japan are going on. He may be working his little obama off in reality, but he allowed himself to be perceived as a globe-trotting buffoon who was oblivious to happenings in the world.

I don't "feel for Obama". Not even remotely. Hell, with the flack that he and others gave Bush at every opportunity when the guy wanted to relax (LOL CRAWFORD, AM I RITE?), you would think Barry would have been especially careful to not make himself a juicy and huge target.

He did exactly what he and Biden would have been impeaching over back in 2007.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I don't think you guys understand how the economics of war work. It's simple:

1) spend billions on a large army with a huge stockpile of arms. The army employs young men and the arms industry gives jobs to others!

2) now you have a big army that is costing money every day, and a huge stockpile of bombs that has been paid for that will get old one day. Might as well be economical and use them!

3) now you must spend billions again to restockpile, making more jobs!

And above all, people won't be complaining about having to pay for this because then you would be hating the troops.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Cartouche posted:

I have to think that things would have been a bit different, had Obarry made a move a week or so before they ultimately did. It doesn't help that he has been on a perceived roadtrip vacation, picking his sweet sixteen, etcetera while all of this and Japan are going on. He may be working his little obama off in reality, but he allowed himself to be perceived as a globe-trotting buffoon who was oblivious to happenings in the world.

I don't "feel for Obama". Not even remotely. Hell, with the flack that he and others gave Bush at every opportunity when the guy wanted to relax (LOL CRAWFORD, AM I RITE?), you would think Barry would have been especially careful to not make himself a juicy and huge target.

At least he's giving those of us on the political fringe an ironclad argument when we say Democrats and Republicans are the same.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Vir posted:

For English language news stations in the Arabic speaking world, you might be correct, but I think the BCC and the US networks are less biased than Al Jazeera.

Egyptian blogger "Sandmonkey" had criticized the network in the past for being blind to stories critical of Qatar. His criticism was directed at the Arabic Al Jazeera though. Perhaps the English Al Jazeera is less biased than the Arabic one?

The good thing with Al Jazeera is that they're often ahead of the story, while the US alphabets tend to come later. Maybe it's because they have fewer correspondents these days.

I've heard that the Al Jazeera English is top-notch reporting, similar to the international edition of CNN, while Al Jazeera Arabic is more like domestic CNN, i.e. well-meaning, but a bit of a rag at times.

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010

Slave posted:

This is misleading though, because we're talking about 'assets' we already had - we're not buying the missiles etc today to use them tomorrow - we've had them for a while. Sure, we'll probably have to replenish them, but the cost analysis aspect is stupid and pointless at the moment.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

sweeptheleg posted:

No kidding. If he did nothing, he would get poo poo. When he does, suddenly it's his version of Iraq that everybody is happy to jump on. What exactly does everybody want him to do? I don't like some of the decisions this man has made, but he's done the best thing to do so far: act as backup for the French and British when the Libya Rebels requested said help. Seriously, I want to know what Obama can do here because it seems everybody is ready to jump into his poo poo.

Cartouche posted:

So his real crime was not doing it sooner? How is that an argument? It seems like your solution is to bash him for not being publicity-friendly with the argument and not dealing with the Fox News interpretation of his Latin American visit. He was trying to pimp our exports to South America and now he's being bashed for that? Why don't we argue the reality instead of what Fox News is boasting about. They just want Obama dead because he's a Democrat. Their opinion means nothing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

schadenfraud posted:

This is misleading though, because we're talking about 'assets' we already had - we're not buying the missiles etc today to use them tomorrow - we've had them for a while. Sure, we'll probably have to replenish them, but the cost analysis aspect is stupid and pointless at the moment.

A lot of the cruise missiles we're crashing into Libya are also outdated models.

Some of the F-15s too...

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
This is all coming out of the planned budget. Not anything extra...yet.

neamp
Jun 24, 2003
Has anyone else been checking out this guy for a chuckle?
That's one extreme Leftist that has completely lost his mind over this.
Just goes to show, the radical fringe is inhabited by the same kind of despicable people on both sides.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

No kidding. If he did nothing, he would get poo poo. When he does, suddenly it's his version of Iraq that everybody is happy to jump on. What exactly does everybody want him to do? I don't like some of the decisions this man has made, but he's done the best thing to do so far: act as backup for the French and British when the Libya Rebels requested said help. Seriously, I want to know what Obama can do here because it seems everybody is ready to jump into his poo poo.

So his real crime was not doing it sooner? How is that an argument? It seems like your solution is to bash him for not being publicity-friendly with the argument and not dealing with the Fox News interpretation of his Latin American visit. He was trying to pimp our exports to South America and now he's being bashed for that? Why don't we argue the reality instead of what Fox News is boasting about. They just want Obama dead because he's a Democrat. Their opinion means nothing.

If he doesn't do something he's a isolationist coldheart. If he does he's a ruthless neofacist in the pocket of bigarms, inc. Of course.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Freigeist posted:

Just goes to show, the radical fringe is inhabited by the same kind of despicable people on both sides.

A crazy person on the internet while I never. Seriously I think the debate is above whether there are fringes on either side as much as some SA posters like to think so.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Freigeist posted:

Ha ha, what? You're saying a nutty Twitter account with about 60 followers is comparable to the juggernaut of the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and co? Hell even absolute completely bonkers teaparty crazies have more influence.

Holy christ when will this ITZ DA SIAME UN BOTH SIDES argument die in a fire already.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Freigeist posted:

Want to read something that actually owns, is well written, and will make you think very deeply about how it all came to this? Here.

http://www.mrdestructo.com/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Freigeist posted:

A crazy person's twitter account, you don't say. This is interesting and relevant!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

evilweasel posted:

A crazy person's twitter account, you don't say. This is interesting and relevant!

Hmm what could this mean.

Evil are there any Air Force pilots or otherwise with experience in this/other conflicts lie this in GiP or GBS. I'm interested in how they actually drop bombs (with a multi-coalition force) and not accidently kill "friendlys". I'm sure there is radio coodination but there has to be more.

neamp
Jun 24, 2003
Sorry, it was a very bad post, I realized it after I had submitted it. :(
Sometimes I stay up too late and forget that not every thought I have at the moment is in any way worthy of sharing.

Edit: And my thought was more that he reminded me of Free-Republic and similar posters people like to make fun of here, not anyone influential, so yes it's really totally irrelevant to anything in this thread. I originally had wanted to post something different (about Misurata) then saw one of his tweets and it must have fried my brain and I completely forgot what I had in mind.

Oh, yeah, now I remember, the reports that electricity had been restored to Misurata and I wondered why that happened. Some kind of concession by Gaddafi or just so his snipers can shoot better at night?

neamp fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 24, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
A good perspective on imperialism and this recent intervention.

http://www.currentintelligence.net/columns/2011/4/1/libya-history-interrupted.html posted:

Along with many others at the busy Middle Eastern market in Oakland, California, I was recently given a leaflet condemning the “imperialist” aggression of coalition forces in Libya. Distributed by a member of the Revolutionary Communist Party of America, the statement was read with curiosity by shoppers and diners, who were also engaged in watching images of the bombardment broadcast by Al-Jazeera on a giant screen above us. After some conversation with the man handing them out, the market’s owner acknowledged that there was some truth in the leaflet’s claims, but nevertheless said of the coalition forces, “today I’m with them”. His agreement with the narrative of imperialism, in other words, was matched by a self-consciously temporary disagreement with it. Was this position naïve or realistic?

Like his ideological enemies among the ranks of the imperialists, Oakland’s revolutionary communist was concerned with the “logic” of history, or rather with the long-term patterns and precedents that he thought lent meaning to the coalition’s intervention. And yet it is precisely such a narrative, whether defined in terms of class struggle, national self-determination or the “march of freedom” that seems to be missing, both in Libya and among the protestors elsewhere in the Middle East. Apart from the fact that they were entirely unforeseen, after all, these “revolutions” not only appear to lack a clear political genealogy in the region, but are also marked by the absence of any identifiable ideology, utopia or indeed established leadership. What is most interesting about the rebellions is instead their working out of new and as yet undefined forms of self-rule outside the purview of political parties as vanguards or representatives of some already constituted people.

This interruption and diversion of our familiar narratives about class or nationality causes as much anxiety among those on the Left as on the Right, both groups being eager to push events in a predetermined direction informed by the “logic” of history. It is this uncertainty that leads to worries that civil strife might provide room for Islamic militancy. As it turns out, however, the only reality these fears have possessed has been a rhetorical one. And of this the best examples are no doubt provided by the statements of Colonel Gaddafi, who before the coalition attacks tried to characterize the protests as being inspired by Al-Qaeda, and after them by himself adopting the vocabulary of militancy in calls for jihad against the crusader enemy.

The interruption of conventional historical narratives that defines so many of the struggles in the Middle East today have the effect of destabilizing the logic of “imperialism” as well. For however violent, the intervention of coalition forces has been marked by caution and uncertainty, betraying its lack of a clearly stated goal in an improbable and unpredictable situation. Rather than being characterized by mere deception regarding the control of Libyan politics or oil, therefore, the intervention has been forced by the dissonance of the revolts themselves into an experiment that is open to popular opinion and motivated by a desire to be on the right side of an unknown history. If nothing else the coalition has to demonstrate the continuing relevance of an “international community” that seems to have been left out of the new politics emerging from the Middle East.

The historical logic that drew previous NATO-led interventions belonged either to the superpower politics of the Cold War, or to the resolution of conflicts that had emerged in its wake. Vietnam, Korea and the anti-Soviet jihad in Afghanistan are examples of intervention of the first kind, while Bosnia, Serbia and Kosovo provide illustrations of the second. With Iraq and Afghanistan during the War on Terror, of course, and even Libya today, outdated Cold War regimes are still being toppled, but now intervention has lost whatever realpolitik it once possessed. For if interventions in the past had sought to secure allies and markets for the West, without much concern for the democratic nature of the regime to be instituted, those in the present are dominated by grandiose visions like remaking the Middle East.

The abject failure of such impossible visions in Iraq and Afghanistan has resulted in a Libyan adventure that lacks both a grand vision and realpolitik. Characterized by uncertainty and experiment, intervention has become nothing more than a bad habit that is driven increasingly by non-political concerns like “humanitarianism” at a time when international politics is itself in crisis. The same was true of intervention in the Balkans, of course, but there received ideas about religious and national states allowed for the making of dysfunctional new countries as wards of the international community. The difference with the revolts in Libya and elsewhere in the Middle East is that they possess no conventional utopia or historical logic, serving instead as interruptions that are transformative of politics both in the region and internationally.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

From the files of "gently caress if I know, just report it in case it's true" we have this from the BBC liveblog.

quote:

0155: Miles Newton tweets: "heard reports from friends in tripoli that Gaddafi's palace has been raided by western-speaking men"

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

farraday posted:

From the files of "gently caress if I know, just report it in case it's true" we have this from the BBC liveblog.

Western speaking? I'm torn between imaginging a posse of dudes with Stetsons on or a Roman legion. But seriously, I doubt anyone is sending snatch teams into his palace right now, as fun a rumor as it is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If a snatch team was raiding Quadaffi's palace there would be more interesting and relevant facts than vague ideas about what language they spoke.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

J33uk posted:

Western speaking? I'm torn between imaginging a posse of dudes with Stetsons on or a Roman legion. But seriously, I doubt anyone is sending snatch teams into his palace right now, as fun a rumor as it is.

I think it's most likely to be elite Italian spec ops squad composed entirely of Sergio Leone fans.

Once upon a time in Libya, bitches.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

J33uk posted:

And thus did the military unveil its most deadly special weapon: Zombie John Wayne.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Thunderstorm posted:

100 cruise missiles: 100 million. One downed eagle: 30 million. [insert adequate "priceless" pun here.]

^^^How about "Potentially preventing a genocide?"

But seriously, does anyone think that something like a genocide could have happened if the UN hadn't got involved? Is Quadaffi crazy enough to take things to that level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

dylguy90 posted:

But seriously, does anyone think that something like a genocide could have happened if the UN hadn't got involved? Is Quadaffi crazy enough to take things to that level?

Have you been paying attention to his speeches?

• Locked thread