Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I'm going to say Kurt is the face because Jarrett sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

I'm going to say Kurt is the face because Jarrett sucks.

I really don't know anymore because it started out with Jarrett stealing his wife or whatever and ended up with Kurt being a murderer with an axe and promos where Jarrett plays superdad. It's TNA, we're not expected to be able to follow.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This sounds like the same feud where Jarrett was giving comedy heel MMA promos, and in any case is almost immediately after that, so height of incompetence as usual for TNA.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Russo doesn't believe in faces or heels.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Angle's a face. Jarrett's a good dad but he's also an rear end in a top hat who is rubbing it in Angle's face that his family has fallen apart and is putting the "superdad" act on display to rub it in Angle's face. But yes, its a Russo feud (or I might say its just a modern feud, since WWE does the same stuff), which means Angle is no angel.

Skinty McEdger posted:

On Hogan as regards the hall of fame.

"As far as the Hall of Fame goes, it’s tough. We have a unique business, and we try to do a legitimate Hall of Fame. We try to honor the guys that deserve it. To the guys that go in, it’s something special. I heard Hogan sh*t on it, but I don’t think anything’s special to him except for money. Like, if you called Michael Jordan to put him into the Basketball Hall of Fame, and he said, “All right, but I’m only gonna show up if I get to play for the Bulls next year.” We get that all the time. We call a guy to honor him in the Hall of Fame, and he goes, “I want to do an angle. I want a one-off. I need a hundred grand.”

This is kind of hilarious just because HHH doesn't seem to realize he's saying "even the prospective members of the Hall of Fame don't think it means anything and will only bother if they get paid."

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Skinty McEdger posted:

We call a guy to honor him in the Hall of Fame, and he goes, “I want to do an angle. I want a one-off. I need a hundred grand.”

So that's why they can't get Dennis Stamp to go in.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Save Russian Jews posted:

Papering the show is seriously the biggest win/win I can think of in that sense. You get people to fill empty seats, the people get to see a show, and the arena gets a couple thousand extra bucks in concession sales.

Yes and no. It works for Wrestlemania because you need it full. It works poorly on a smaller scale because it trains your fanbase to not buy tickets and wait until they can get free ones. ROH had this issue because of their TV tapings in Philly, but WCW had this issue in the early 90s.

Save Russian Jews posted:

Papering is smart (assuming you weren't smart enough to book a suitably-sized arena).

There are quite a few reasons to book an arena you can't sell out. It may be cheaper (TNA had that happen, maybe in Vegas), you're turning enough people away if you use the smaller arena you lose a lot of money, and it looks worse from a promoting aspect. Wrestlemania is supposed to be a huge event so just the marketing and aesthetic aspects of being in a stadium and having it full of fans (even if they had to paper) is far more valuable than being in a smaller arena that they easily sold out but isn't as impressive.

projecthalaxy posted:

Whatever came of Kid Kash? He was an entertaining little dude back in the day. He and Noble were a cool team.

He had drug issues, which got him booted out of WWE. Most recently he stole his ex-girlfriend's credit card and got arrested.

Neodoomium posted:

Doesn't Droz work for .com?

Off and on. More off in the past few years.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I recall hearing, here and there, bits and pieces about the (often ridiculous) locker room rules/etiquette that the WWE, and wrestling in general, tends to have (An example being that when a new wrestler meets a veteran for the first time, the rookie introduces himself, and then the veteran does, and then the rookie must call the veteran by whatever name he used to introduce himself). Have these 'rules' ever been compiled anywhere? And if not, what has anyone heard about how things are supposedly done in the locker room?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Check about 20 pages back or so when last there was a discussion about the Court. This comes up every so often.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cornwind Evil posted:

I recall hearing, here and there, bits and pieces about the (often ridiculous) locker room rules/etiquette that the WWE, and wrestling in general, tends to have (An example being that when a new wrestler meets a veteran for the first time, the rookie introduces himself, and then the veteran does, and then the rookie must call the veteran by whatever name he used to introduce himself).

Mike Sanders :(

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Why was the British Bulldog in a Six Pack Challenge with HHH, Mankind, Rock, Show, and Kane in Unforgiven '99? It seemed a random rear end choice now that I think about it.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

KildarX posted:

Why was the British Bulldog in a Six Pack Challenge with HHH, Mankind, Rock, Show, and Kane in Unforgiven '99? It seemed a random rear end choice now that I think about it.

It was around this time where he knocked Steph out backstage by throwing a bin at her. He showed no remorse for it and turned heel and feuded with Test for a short while before moving onto The Rock and cost him a handfull of matches.

It gave us the sliding Peoples Elbow and a Rock Bottom onto dog poop.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

KildarX posted:

They were paying him pretty good money because they thought he was a star (and maybe some guilt over Owen) so they slotted him in a main event spot so he would hopefully be worth what they were paying.

Cornwind Evil posted:

the rookie must call the veteran by whatever name he used to introduce himself

You're confusing this one, it's not rookie etiquette. It's accepted in wrestling that you call the guy by their stage name because that's the name they professionally go by and it's just easier to remember. Many people who met Mick Foley in WCW and ECW still call him Cactus, Cac, or Jack because that's what they're used to. It's like if you were a peer of Nicholas Cage are yo going to call him "Cappola"?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Rarity posted:

Mike Sanders :(

No, that seems to be a case of 'Sanders was shaking hands with everyone and would have gladly shaken hands with HHH but he had the bad luck of not noticing him' rather than a 'proper' breach of etiquette (by logical standards, we all know wrestlers have proven they are anything BUT logical). Though I didn't find any stories about 'The Court' going back 40 pages.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

time to correct this story, as its been told by many other dudes who were there. Mike Sanders and a few other guys were at a restaurant having lunch, and Triple H, who had just torn his quadriceps, dropped by to visit. He was on crutches at the time. When he came to visit, everyone got up to shake his hand and say hello because it was the first time they've seen him since the injury. Mike Sanders stayed seated. Raven hinted to Sanders to go get up and shake HHH's hand, Sanders wouldn't do it. Sanders stuck out as a sore thumb and showed a giant breach of wrestler etiquette, and that was what did him in.

It was kind of unfortunate because the way Sanders was brought into the wrestling business, he hadn't really encounted the political tip toe nature of working for WWF. He was a WCW guy, whose backstage life at the time of his employ there wasn't nearly as political do-or-die, and his entire time being employed by WWF, he was the assistant head booker of OVW, so he still wasn't dealing with the political lifestyle of the WWF.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

time to correct this story, as its been told by many other dudes who were there. Mike Sanders and a few other guys were at a restaurant having lunch, and Triple H, who had just torn his quadriceps, dropped by to visit. He was on crutches at the time. When he came to visit, everyone got up to shake his hand and say hello because it was the first time they've seen him since the injury. Mike Sanders stayed seated. Raven hinted to Sanders to go get up and shake HHH's hand, Sanders wouldn't do it. Sanders stuck out as a sore thumb and showed a giant breach of wrestler etiquette, and that was what did him in.

It was kind of unfortunate because the way Sanders was brought into the wrestling business, he hadn't really encounted the political tip toe nature of working for WWF. He was a WCW guy, whose backstage life at the time of his employ there wasn't nearly as political do-or-die, and his entire time being employed by WWF, he was the assistant head booker of OVW, so he still wasn't dealing with the political lifestyle of the WWF.

That has little to do with political lifestyle of the WWF. I have friends who have been volunteering for wrestling indies since the early 90s and they've always shook hands with someone when first seeing them. It's what you do. I've volunteered since 2005. Even if I'm seeing one of my best friends who 30 minutes ago I was mocking and calling a shithead, when I see him in the locker room? You shake his hand. It's to show comraderie.

I always heard the story (From Ric Byrne of HWA I think, who worked with Sanders) that Sanders was at an airport and Hunter had to walk up to him with the crutches, so Raven told him it was the kiss of death. Two stories I guess, but I guess it's one of those things where there's multiple tellings with the same ending.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

If this is the case then Sanders is pretty loving stupid. If you see everyone else get up and shake someone's hand, and that person happens to be the son of your boss, and a major player in your industry, and also on crutches, and you decide to just sit there instead, you can't be surprised to not be around much longer.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Hirams Bitch posted:

If this is the case then Sanders is pretty loving stupid. If you see everyone else get up and shake someone's hand, and that person happens to be the son of your boss, and a major player in your industry, and also on crutches, and you decide to just sit there instead, you can't be surprised to not be around much longer.

I know people like to talk poo poo about Triple H and backstage politics in relation to this story, but Sanders was really being a jerk here. Not only is that loving Triple HHH, but the guy's on crutches. Ignoring him is a dick move. The other story about him not standing up for Triple H makes him sound even more like a dick.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Or maybe Triple H and all the other wrestlers could just think "Huh" and move on, rather than turning it into a major violation of the First Commandment Of Spandex Fakefightery.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Maybe both stories happened. That would be pretty funny.

quote:

Or maybe Triple H and all the other wrestlers could just think "Huh" and move on, rather than turning it into a major violation of the First Commandment Of Spandex Fakefightery.

If you don't know to get up from a table and shake hands with a co-worker, let alone an important one on crutches who came to see you, you're pretty much violating the First Commandment of Social Interaction.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If you don't know to get up from a table and shake hands with a co-worker, let alone an important one on crutches who came to see you, you're pretty much violating the First Commandment of Social Interaction.
B-b-b-but gently caress HHH, dude :cool:

Even if the guy is a royal dick, you still do normal social things, especially in the context of everyone else doing it.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

jfjnpxmy posted:

Agreed, it doesn't necessarily means he's a dick, he may have just not known what to do because they hadn't been introduced or something like that.

Their whole etiquette thing is ridiculous, they just sound like frat boys who never grew up.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sue Denim posted:

Agreed, it doesn't necessarily means he's a dick, he may have just not known what to do because they hadn't been introduced or something like that.

If you had taken the time to read all two sentences of the story, you would have noticed Raven specifically telling him "dude, you better stand up for the most-important-wrestler-in-the-world who is also on crutches" and he was all "pfft, this soup is getting cold." He, by THIS retelling, had every opportunity to do the right thing and was just too stupid/rude.

I am glad, though, to finally hear a version of the story where it is not just "LOL HHH SO EVIL," which incidentally makes this one the most believable, not because I care particularly about HHH, but because "a guy being kind of rude and getting treated like crap in return" is more believable to me than "a guy being fired for being clueless once."

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
And let's not forget, it's not like we're talking about someone like Booker T or Benoit or even a Malenko or Saturn, we're talking about end days of WCW midcard cruiserweight nobody Mike Sanders. No matter what exactly happened, no matter who was a dick to whom, if he was worth a drat he would have done something in the company. Even Shawn Stasiak, who was previously fired by the WWF for being a loving weirdo creeper was given stuff to do.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

whatsabattle posted:

And let's not forget, it's not like we're talking about someone like Booker T or Benoit or even a Malenko or Saturn, we're talking about end days of WCW midcard cruiserweight nobody Mike Sanders. No matter what exactly happened, no matter who was a dick to whom, if he was worth a drat he would have done something in the company. Even Shawn Stasiak, who was previously fired by the WWF for being a loving weirdo creeper was given stuff to do.

Given time, Sanders could've been an asset. He was great on the stick and could easily have been in Matt Striker's spot right now, if not an active wrestler.

Judging Sanders based on his WWE run, such as it was, is sort of like dismissing this guy for being too vanilla.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Holy crap, I barely recgonized him. I rmember Orton being able to do a REALLY great High Cross Body back then.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing of it is is, yes, Sanders is an idiot in that story. Even by basic real world social rules he's an idiot. You don't need the secret rulebook of wrestling locker room etiquette to understand what he did wrong in either story. And both stories have Raven telling him the right thing to do anyway, and him just not being bothered. Sanders is an idiot.

But there is the other side of it. HHH may have had a valid reason to think Sanders unprofessional but if HHH then torpedoed his career over it (which I assume is the implication) then HHH is STILL a petty douche. Sure, Sanders could have avoided it by not being an idiot and a jerk himself. Sanders is less of a victim than someone who just falls victim to ignorance or insane etiquette rules. But there's still nothing mature or sane about people's careers being defined by one relatively minor social faux paus. Sure, it happens in the real world all the time. You can screw yourself just as easily in a corporate office by saying or doing the wrong thing. But its insane, juvenile, and stupid.

So Sanders is an idiot and HHH is a petty dick. That's what I get out of that story. Just because Sanders should have known better doesn't mean the system isn't still broken at its core.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm near the end of the first season of Tough Enough and I just saw them play a clip of Ivory wrestling Dean Malenko. What the hell? :psyduck:

Why was Ivory wrestling Dean Malenko?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

STAC Goat posted:

So Sanders is an idiot and HHH is a petty dick. That's what I get out of that story. Just because Sanders should have known better doesn't mean the system isn't still broken at its core.

It's like knowing not to walk down a dark alley in a bad neighborhood. Yes, if you choose to walk down that alley you're pretty stupid and should know something bad is going to happen to you. It doesn't mean that it wouldn't be better if that alley was safe and the crime just didn't exist at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Right. No sane person would say "What what did you expect that mugger to do? Leave you alone? He had to rob and stab you! You went down the alley, you idiot!"

You can be both a victim and an idiot. There's always this weird need people have to find out who is the good guy and who is the bad guy in a story. Or who was in the right and who was an idiot. A lot of the time its just 2 of the same but to different degrees.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

But there is the other side of it. HHH may have had a valid reason to think Sanders unprofessional but if HHH then torpedoed his career over it (which I assume is the implication) then HHH is STILL a petty douche.

I don't think the implication in that story is that HHH torpedoed his career. As people have been pointing out, Sanders was a going-nowhere guy the whole time he was with WWE. He was in a position where, if he wanted to make the main roster and get a real shot, he needed to be acquitting himself well in the eyes of the important guys. Instead, he was a douche/moron and disrespected the most important guy in the locker room for no apparent reason in particular.

Sanders was a non-entity. HHH didn't need to torpedo his career. What Sanders needed was someone willing to say, when the cuts began, "maybe we should keep that Sanders guy around and see what more he can give us." Maybe HHH says that if Sanders acts like a polite, intelligent loving human being. He certainly doesn't say it if Sanders acts like it's beneath him to get up and say hello when he's the new guy and HHH is on crutches.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just kind of assumed that was the implication of the story. If this is just a case of Sanders' career going nowhere and people trying to pin the blame on some random encounter with HHH then nevermind. If HHH's response to Sanders was nothing more than not going out of his way to help him then HHH obviously did nothing wrong.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jesus Christ if you are at a dinner with your new boss or are meeting him for the first time and don't even get up, you are probably getting shitcanned no matter who you are. That he's in a crutch just makes it worse--it turns into something out of The Office or something. He literally goes out of his way to take a giant poo poo on his opportunity at one of the most coveted spots in the entire wrestling industry--when there are fewer than ever before to go around--for no reason.

But let's pretend Mike Sanders was a beautiful snowflake destined to become Kind of a Big Deal in WWE (as big as Matt Striker!!!) if not for Triple H. We must analyze Triple H's motivations. Whatever it loving takes to make this about Triple H being evil guys. Whatever. It. Takes.

This story had some kind of wings on it when it was strictly about Sanders not seeing him at an airport. Now it's just getting stupid.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

So, we have 'shake hands' and the possible name thing. Anyone else heard/know of any other locker room 'rules'?

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, we have 'shake hands' and the possible name thing. Anyone else heard/know of any other locker room 'rules'?

Only Randy Orton is allowed to poop in gym bags.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Cornwind Evil posted:

No Mizes allowed in the locker room.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cornwind Evil posted:

If you are sitting watching a monitor backstage and a veteran/agent approaches, offer him your chair. If he declines your offer, then stand up anyway because if someone sees you sitting while he's standing, you're hosed.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

tzirean posted:

I don't think the implication in that story is that HHH torpedoed his career. As people have been pointing out, Sanders was a going-nowhere guy the whole time he was with WWE. He was in a position where, if he wanted to make the main roster and get a real shot, he needed to be acquitting himself well in the eyes of the important guys. Instead, he was a douche/moron and disrespected the most important guy in the locker room for no apparent reason in particular.

Sanders was a non-entity. HHH didn't need to torpedo his career. What Sanders needed was someone willing to say, when the cuts began, "maybe we should keep that Sanders guy around and see what more he can give us." Maybe HHH says that if Sanders acts like a polite, intelligent loving human being. He certainly doesn't say it if Sanders acts like it's beneath him to get up and say hello when he's the new guy and HHH is on crutches.

I see where you're coming from, but there's also this. I'm going to be volunteering for the first time ever at a wrestling promotion in Hamilton. I have over 5 years of volunteer experience everywhere from Border City Wrestling under Scott D'Amore in Windsor to a smallish promotion in Kingston, Ontario which had a TV deal. If I walk into that promotion and don't shake anyone's hand? I'm spitting in the face of every promoter, booker and wrestler who let me in their locker room. I'm making it clear that I don't belong there, or in any locker room.

Mike Sanders did that in the WWE.

Say what you want about WWE as a business, but I wouldn't want Mike Sanders in my locker room either.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

The guy posting enhancement talent gifs in the gifs thread made me wonder if there have been any enhancement talents that actually went on to be big? Steve Lombardi doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Orgophlax posted:

The guy posting enhancement talent gifs in the gifs thread made me wonder if there have been any enhancement talents that actually went on to be big? Steve Lombardi doesn't count.

Well, one of his enhancement pics was Glenn Ruth, and while the Hangbangers weren't "big" they had their time and place.

Probably the best known enhancement talents were Matt and Jeff Hardy. Edge also did it in WCW.