Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

As for me, looking for non-German bands with strong Krautrock influences (mainly Neu! or Can). I asked for bands that sound like Neu! a while ago, but I'm looking more specifically for bands like the first Bowery Electric album or Stereolab. Bands with that funky Can drumming or the mechanical Neu! style.

they cover a lot of musical ground and have released a bunch of albums, but Trans Am might be worth looking into- maybe start with Futureworld or Surrender to the Night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey
I like Current 93, and I'm starting to get into Death in June. Are there any bands like them that are as good? I'm not a real big fan of the neo-medieval aspects of neofolk, but like the dark aspect of it.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Look up Nature and Organisation, it's Michael Cashmore of C93. I've only heard Beauty Reaps the Blood of Solitude but that album is solid. What I've heard from Sol Invictus has been quite good too but I just find Tony Wakeford's voice a bit annoying (but then again I like David Tibet a lot? Go figure)

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I'm sure you already know them, but Youth of Today are vaguely like that.

As for me, looking for non-German bands with strong Krautrock influences (mainly Neu! or Can). I asked for bands that sound like Neu! a while ago, but I'm looking more specifically for bands like the first Bowery Electric album or Stereolab. Bands with that funky Can drumming or the mechanical Neu! style.

Check out Fabulous Diamonds for some tight motorik beats. Pluramon's first album too maybe before he got all shoegaze?

And I guess you have heard Circle right?

slowdave fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 21, 2011

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

dgt posted:

I like Current 93, and I'm starting to get into Death in June. Are there any bands like them that are as good? I'm not a real big fan of the neo-medieval aspects of neofolk, but like the dark aspect of it.

Good luck finding anything that's even really like Current 93, much less as good.

Backworld - Isles of the Blest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHuFhdBcppQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUYtnwCl00I

As mentioned above, Nature and Organization - Beauty Reaps the Blood of Solitude

Feedbacker fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 21, 2011

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

I think what separates C93 from most other neofolk artists is that it seems to be so highly personal for Tibet. A lot of his lyrics are very esoteric and don't make much sense but to me it always feels like he's pouring his heart and soul into whatever he's doing.

Question. I've been spinning Lee Hazlewood's 'Cowboy in Sweden' quite a lot lately. What else should I check out? By Hazlewood I mean.

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

slowdave posted:

Question. I've been spinning Lee Hazlewood's 'Cowboy in Sweden' quite a lot lately. What else should I check out? By Hazlewood I mean.

'Requiem for an Almost Lady' and 'Trouble Is a Lonesome Town'. Neither as good as Cowboy in Sweden but they're still pretty good.

My First Theodicy
Mar 4, 2011

Blood and Fire.
"trouble is a lonesome town" is a nice little concept album. if you dig this:

"Trouble's little and it's lonesome. You won't find it on any map. But you can take three steps in any direction, and you're there. It's a place to be born.
And it's a place to live. And it's a place to die and be forgotten. It's a town called Trouble. And Trouble is a lonesome town."

then check it out.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I got way into Busdriver recently. Is there anything even remotely similar?

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

dgt posted:

Sol Invictus, Boyd Rice & Friends, Strength Through Joy, all the other Death in June side projects are pretty good, same with Current 93. I feel like I'm forgetting some important ones here, if I remember I'll add them to the post.

tiredsounds
Apr 21, 2011

Hypnolobster posted:

I got way into Busdriver recently. Is there anything even remotely similar?

Certain acts on the Anticon label would be a good place to start - Doseone, WHY?, stuff like that.

Blueprint could be worth a listen also.

Achozen
Jun 28, 2007

I never asked for all that power.

tiredsounds posted:

Certain acts on the Anticon label would be a good place to start - Doseone

Highly seconding this, but that's because I am biased. :allears:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Achozen posted:

Highly seconding this, but that's because I am biased. :allears:

yeah idk if Doseone is similar to Busdriver really but he is brilliant

dgt
Jan 25, 2005
hey
I've heard a few Sol Invictus songs, mainly "Kneel to the Cross" (because of the Agalloch cover), and quite liked them. Any good albums by them? Hell, how about Death in June? I only have Rose Clouds of Holocaust and But What Ends When The Symbols Shatter.

I'll check out their other bands. The kind of dark folk they make intrigues me. Its very lush and mysterious sounding.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

dgt posted:

I've heard a few Sol Invictus songs, mainly "Kneel to the Cross" (because of the Agalloch cover), and quite liked them. Any good albums by them? Hell, how about Death in June? I only have Rose Clouds of Holocaust and But What Ends When The Symbols Shatter.

I'll check out their other bands. The kind of dark folk they make intrigues me. Its very lush and mysterious sounding.

The DiJ folk albums before those two are better imo. They are certainly less lush though. Brown Book or Wall of Sacrifice are my favorites. A lot more stripped down, with drum machines and reverb galore.

slowdave posted:

Check out Fabulous Diamonds for some tight motorik beats. Pluramon's first album too maybe before he got all shoegaze?

And I guess you have heard Circle right?

I haven't of any of those bands actually! Sweet, got some listening to do

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

PoisonedV posted:

The other day on a whim I picked up some Happy Hardcore compilation. My days of listening to dance music are long over but this is pretty fun. What are some good compilation albums or even normal albums of really danceable, 'hard-hitting' music? (not that it needs to be just gabber/hardstyle/rave/whatever. it could be electro or house or whatever.) Preferably not stuff that all sounds pretty much the exact same... in terms of dance music anyway.

edit:
vvvvv Actually Bonkers 13 is the compilation I was referring to that got me in this bent in the first place. I'll check out the other one though.

Hardcore Underground Vol 1 to 4 are the best of it's kind, with a lot of variation between each mix on the compilations.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I really like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRgEjOkRz-w

and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn382f9L1G8

Any recommendations for other music that mixes hip hop and big beat stuff with jewish and Mediterranean music? Really preferable if it doesn't have foreign rappers rapping in English because their lyrics always suck

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

After having watched Dark City I've found I really like the songs in the bar scenes of the movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o_Q75UVi28 (Jennifer Connelly's Sway)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25e9ni85d_w ( Anita Kelsey's, A Night Has a Thousand Eyes). I think Connelly's version is better but I'm not sure if I can post actual scenes from movies.

Does anybody have any recommendations for music similar to this? Also, what would this be classified under? My best guess is smooth jazz or lounge jazz but when I look through those genres most of the music I find has a faster tempo than I prefer.

Some of the other music I like..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPBcXfKksMg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqEkuNuPiSA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT1W2buAmlk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NQ4NY0LgLM

Any recommendations would be great.

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

Can anyone recommend some bands from New Zealand? I prefer indie rock/pop-ish type stuff, especially with female singers, and it'd be nice if the bands were still around. It's highly unlikely that I'll have heard of anything you suggest.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

The Duke of Avon posted:

Can anyone recommend some bands from New Zealand? I prefer indie rock/pop-ish type stuff, especially with female singers, and it'd be nice if the bands were still around. It's highly unlikely that I'll have heard of anything you suggest.

the Dunedin Sound

The Clean is fantastic, and the Chills, Bats, Tall Dwarves, Verlaines, and Bailterspace are all worth a listen.

edit- forgot to mention that the Bats have a female vocalist.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 25, 2011

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Straightjacket Fits and Jean Paul Sartre Experience are also worth listening to. Just give anything on Flying Nun a listen, honestly, but the best ones have been covered.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

funkybottoms posted:

the Dunedin Sound

The Clean is fantastic, and the Chills, Bats, Tall Dwarves, Verlaines, and Bailterspace are all worth a listen.

edit- forgot to mention that the Bats have a female vocalist.

Also, The Renderers:
http://youtu.be/t4F_4952Xdg

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Emron posted:

I'm a hopeless fan of Black Moth Super Rainbow, Tobacco, Ratatat, The Glitch Mob, and RJD2, and I can't really find anything similar to expand my library of that sort of sound. I'm more of a fan of the early Ratatat stuff (pre-LP3). Can someone recommend me something similar to that sound?

edit: And if it helps, I'm not a big fan of any dubstep that I've heard.

I don't listen to Glitch Mob or RJD2 but I really like BMSR and I also like Bark Psychosis and vaguely think they're kinda similar so try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XluhkMtXuFI

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

The Duke of Avon posted:

My wife lived in Wellington for a couple of years. Among bands already mentioned, I know she also loves these (more) current bands:

Bic Runga (female musician)
Salmonella Dub
Fat Freddy's Drop
The Black Seeds
Fly My Pretties

Probably some others as well. I know there was a decent Wellington scene in the early 2000s which had a lot of good to decent bands - if you like the dub influenced stuff.

I like the 80s and 90s NZ stuff more (Bats!!!), but if you like the scene these bands are nothing to shake a stick at.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Off the top of my head.

Mint Chicks
Minuit
Brooke Fraser
Stellar (disbanded, singer was Boh Runga, sister of Bic recommended above)

Haven't been keeping up with pop music lately, but most of the popular/good ones have already been recommended anyway.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Can anyone recommend anything close to Massive Attack, particularly 100th Window?

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord

Without Pants posted:

Can anyone recommend anything close to Massive Attack, particularly 100th Window?

Well there are the obvious ones that are a bit similar, like Hooverphonic and Sneaker Pimps. Probably closer to what I've generally heard from Massive Attack than 100th Window though. Here are some suggestions in any direction I can think of off the top of my head, some of them might be a stretch.

Sneaker Pimps - Destroying Angel

Sneaker Pimps - Half Life

Bear In Heaven are a liiitle more noisy, but stuff like You Do You might be comparable.

The almost crystal-like sound reminded me a bit of Idiot Pilot's 'Losing Color' or 'Arrhythmia', but altogether the bands sound nothing alike.

The specific lightness of that song though, it's reminding me of something but I just can't put my finger on it. Anyway, those I haven't linked are because the youtube quality is not worth bothering with.

On my own account I've recently fallen in love with TV on the Radio's Blues from down here, especially the first minute is ridiculously good. Any and all suggestions welcome, single tracks and bands alike, can't be picky after those suggestions anyway.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Recommend me something that sounds like Daft Punk's Veridis Quo, because even though it's like a five minute loop, I love that track.

ngeunit1
Apr 9, 2008

Nerd Herd
I was (still am...) a huge fan of The Format. I know they are long gone at this point and the band fun. is the lead singer's new band, and their stuff is pretty solid. But does anyone have any recommendations on something similar to The Format's music, specifically The First Single or Dog Problems?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Can anyone recommend me something similar to Aereogramme and Explosions in the Sky? I'm really digging their stuff as of late.

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord

thehoodie posted:

Can anyone recommend me something similar to Aereogramme and Explosions in the Sky? I'm really digging their stuff as of late.

I would probably say...

Mogwai
Oceansize
If These Trees Could Talk
And So I Watch You From Afar...
Russian Circles

...of the top of my head.

I feel like I should know more of these bands, it wasn't that long ago I was messing around with those post rock/prog genres. Those are the ones I still listen to anyhow.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

thehoodie posted:

for instrumental post-rock, you cannot forget Slint.

Aereogramme doesn't fit into that category quite as neatly, so these recommendations might be slightly tangential:

Crain
June of 44
The Shipping News
Don Caballero
Rodan
Metroschifter (um, i guess every Louisville band from the 90s...)
The Standard (the album Wire Post to Wire. the others are spotty at best)
Calla
Unwound
Shellac/Big Black/Rapeman

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

ngeunit1 posted:

I was (still am...) a huge fan of The Format. I know they are long gone at this point and the band fun. is the lead singer's new band, and their stuff is pretty solid. But does anyone have any recommendations on something similar to The Format's music, specifically The First Single or Dog Problems?

Check out Good Old War's "Only Way to Be Alone" and Steel Train.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play

thehoodie posted:

In addition to the stuff mentioned, Do Make Say Think.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

thehoodie posted:

Mono and This Will Destroy You.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

thehoodie posted:

Read the post rock thread. EITS are like the posterboy of that genre.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

The Duke of Avon posted:

How about Ladyhawke? Pretty chill pop music with a nostalgic twist

Back of the van
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhPh6ou8Kbk

Magic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ccbj0A6NJI

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Wagner: Ride of the Valkryies.

Reccomend on this basis.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

dgt posted:

If you don't mind some 80's syths, the Death in June album Nada! is really awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZVFY10Jjr0

Definitely my favorite DiJ album. Half spaghetti western guitar strumming, half synthpop. Also the two disc DiscRiminate compilation is a real nice spread of DiJ songs.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Lemonus posted:

Wagner: Ride of the Valkryies.

Reccomend on this basis.

Mein Kampf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Recently, been on a Cake kick. They've got a super mellow minor key sound that I am really loving. I listened to a bit of Soul Coughing as well and liked their sound. However, Soul Coughing's lead singer broke off and did his own album and I despised it. Any suggestions for a Cake-like band? Or a particular album of theirs to listen to?