Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

El Duke posted:

Where are all of these great tag matches that don't follow this formula? Because a lot of my favorite tag matches, which are some of my favorite matches of all time, follow the typical tag match formula.

Again, just because WWE routinely fails at succesfully executing it doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. The basic formula is just that: a basic outline to follow. It's what fills in that outline that matters.
I'd also imagine if the road agents thought that Vince and creative gave a gently caress about tag teams they'd put more effort into making the matches more exciting and creative. That Jericho/Benoit vs HHH/Stone cold match is considered one of the best TV matches ever, not only because it had some great workers in it, but because the company treated it like it was important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm fairly certain that story about Kane being offered the chance to beat the streak and turning it down was just flat-out made up.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

I'm fairly certain that story about Kane being offered the chance to beat the streak and turning it down was just flat-out made up.

If it is, I wouldn't be surprised. If it isn't, I wouldn't be surprised.

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.
Why do folks around here poo poo on Arik Cannon so much? I don't think he is the best wrestler but I find him entertaining, so I was curious why people don't like him.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Serious question how would you book a tag match differently?
There are probably countless ways to book tag matches differently, but then most of those would also get old--inserting comedy into a match can break up the formula in a variety of ways (at the likely cost of legitimacy to some degree, but it seems like comedy can work better now than in the past). The Osirian Portal hypnotism match linked a couple of pages ago was clearly as over as a great serious match would be, and as long as they can also work a serious style, there is no reason to think they cannot alter the formula on a regular basis through comedy.

Beyond that, exceptions based on specific personalities can work, but as MassRayPer pointed out, that does not really help you understand a way to do fundamentally different matches for others. You could get a lot of mileage out of a tag team with sufficient internal heat (Luger/Sting comes to mind) that the standard formula is not necessary for drama.

So, again, is there any other "way that can work universally" to book a tag match? Probably not, as "looks like bad is going to win OH GOOD WON AFTER ALL!" is pretty much a standard storytelling device for seemingly all forms of entertainment. But you can absolutely be creative with the personalities you have to work with--for example, heel Undertaker and Kane (and heel Undertaker and Big Show, I think) had some, dare I say, decent tag matches back in the day, despite being booked by default as immune to "hot face tag destroying both heels" style.

Edit: I look forward to being told that Undertaker was never in a tag team as a heel. If this is true, I apologize for my INSOLENCE.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think the basic "psychology" structure is like the three-act structure in a lot of stories- it's not the entirety of what happens, and the point is to layer stuff on top while keeping the rhythm. And of course, you don't *have* to have a three-act structure, and not all matches have to be built the same as well- if you have a good reason for going outside the lines that's okay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DannoMack posted:

How was it taken in Mexico that WWE signed Mistico and DC Jr? Is it a happy thing because their guys got a big break, or a sad thing because Billionaire Vince is picking the bones of lucha clean?
Didn't Del Rio kinda suck rear end as a luchabro?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

Why do folks around here poo poo on Arik Cannon so much? I don't think he is the best wrestler but I find him entertaining, so I was curious why people don't like him.

How to make his ring gear:

+

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lone Rogue posted:

If it is, I wouldn't be surprised. If it isn't, I wouldn't be surprised.

Basically this. It might be fake but based on what I know about Kane I can totally see that as having happened.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I've always heard the Orton thing as that they were considering and then Orton blew his shoulder so they never got to the decision point.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

I like him fine as a wrestler, but he has THE WORST gear. Like, garbage bag pants are nothing new, but the dude has a PVC tank top.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Captain Charisma posted:

Lucha rules are the loving WORST. A total heat killer.

I'm assuming your experiences with Lucha Rules tag matches are from ROH? Ring of Honor has always been really really REALLY bad at explaining those rules, and that kills the heat of the matches. They say "TAGS AREN'T NECESSARY!" and leave it at that, so the crowd ends up thinking "why doesn't the other babyface just come in the ring to stop this heel domination?".

Lucha Rules doesn't mean you can just come in the ring and be the legal man. Your partner has to either tag you in or LEAVE THE RING to make a legal tag. You can still have tons of heat in lucha style tag matches, and you can even do stuff with the babyface in peril trying to leave the ring but getting pulled back in.

In conclusion, ROH's bad choice of words confused a lot of people and killed the heat of some matches.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I like him fine as a wrestler, but he has THE WORST gear. Like, garbage bag pants are nothing new, but the dude has a PVC tank top.

Where did garbage bag pants even come from? Like did a lot of indy guys see Tajiri and decide they wanted to emulate him except without anything that makes Tajiri awesome?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Has Hulk Hogan ever said anything about Undertaker stealing the big boot/legdrop?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Suben posted:

Where did garbage bag pants even come from? Like did a lot of indy guys see Tajiri and decide they wanted to emulate him except without anything that makes Tajiri awesome?

It hides chicken legs mostly. A lot of indy guys took to wearing puffy gear because they thought it made them look bigger.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Seymour Buttz posted:

I'm assuming your experiences with Lucha Rules tag matches are from ROH? Ring of Honor has always been really really REALLY bad at explaining those rules, and that kills the heat of the matches. They say "TAGS AREN'T NECESSARY!" and leave it at that, so the crowd ends up thinking "why doesn't the other babyface just come in the ring to stop this heel domination?".

Lucha Rules doesn't mean you can just come in the ring and be the legal man. Your partner has to either tag you in or LEAVE THE RING to make a legal tag. You can still have tons of heat in lucha style tag matches, and you can even do stuff with the babyface in peril trying to leave the ring but getting pulled back in.

In conclusion, ROH's bad choice of words confused a lot of people and killed the heat of some matches.

His experience with Lucha Rules are Lucha Libre.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Skinty McEdger posted:

It hides chicken legs mostly. A lot of indy guys took to wearing puffy gear because they thought it made them look bigger.
This doesn't explain Arik Cannon's obsession with shiny garbage bag ring gear.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Korak posted:

It's also much cheaper than actual gear and most indy wrestlers are broke.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Skinty McEdger posted:

At least when they put on baggy pants they fit baggy, not regular. There's no baggy pants option when you do your Matt Classic approved 2,000 squats a day :smith:.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Seymour Buttz posted:

I am pretty sure ROH fans know the rules because during a match with MCMG that was supposed to have these rules a pretty big portion of the Hammerstein Ballroom started chanting "IT'S A SCRAMBLE" when they were pretending it was just a regular tag match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Lucha Libre only shows the superiority of American psychology and pacing. When Americans with any clue of psychology go down to Mexico, even on a huge decline in their career (Jake Roberts, Sean Waltman) their matches get so over. They just do basic stuff and the crowds eat it up. Lucha tags are a fun diversion but they should not be the rule.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Korak posted:

His unprecedentedly awful gear is part of his charm to me. He's a fat, mohawked goober in trash bag pants and a trash bag tank. You need a couple weird-looking motherfuckers - an Arik Cannon, a Necro Butcher, a Brodus Clay, etc.

Plus, he's a drat good worker.

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
So...people don't like him not because of his wrestling but JUST his gear, and that is it...hmm...

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

So...people don't like him not because of his wrestling but JUST his gear, and that is it...hmm...

People started booing Jericho because he started wearing trunks instead of tights.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

He's a pretty average wrestler in general. I've never really been impressed with him. He was fine 5 years ago but he strikes me as the same wrestler now, but fatter.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lucha tags make sense in a "I am thinking about wrestling as a real sport outside of the world and rules of pro wrestling." So realistically, they're stupid.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tags also make it easy for anyone to follow along. They are a signal to even the guy in the nosebleeds that the guy on the outside can go to the inside. There is no reason not to include tags. They work, they're effective, and they're an easy visual cue.

Also I don't think I can name one excellent Arik Cannon match. He is Indy As gently caress personified. Necro Butcher can get away without having great matches because he is all spectacle. He's an insane hobo that wrestles. Arik Cannon is a fat dude in a trash bag that does Japanese moves and shouts stupid memes.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 28, 2011

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
I was fine with Lucha Rules watching this year's King of Trios Night 1, thought they were really interesting and made for some cool spots during Night 2, and came to the conclusion they are mostly stupid and confusing when Bryce on commentary said "WHY DON'T YOU JUST ROLL OUT OF THE RING?" when someone was slowly dragging himself by the ropes to get to his corner for the tag.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

You can't cut off the ring and isolate the partner and wear him down Anderson style with lucha rules.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

The only time I personally feel lucha rules should be in effect is when more than two teams are competing (3 way scramble, Four Corner, etc.). It speeds up the pacing and allows everybody to get a chance in the ring before the match inevitably dissolves into a plancha/suicide dive/tope/whateverfest. On top of that it limits blind tags which I find are some of the hardest to understand acts in matches, especially from heels.

"Okay, so this guy's getting the snot kicked out of him and has just been whipped into my corner. How do I capitalize on his vulnerability? I know! I'll tag myself in and face off against the guy who is about to tear his opponents head off!"

Don't get me wrong, jumping in after someone rolls out of the ring to escape the psychotic killing machine is pretty dumb too, but it doesn't quite have the same boneheadedness, at least to me.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
How did the anonymous raw GM shenanigans begin? I only restarted watching at TLC.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The Mutato posted:

How did the anonymous raw GM shenanigans begin? I only restarted watching at TLC.

Bret Hart was attacked by Nexus so the gimmick was that the next GM would be anonymous for his or her own protection.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just once I'd like to see a heel getting a hot tag and destroying everyone with lariats and then winning clean.

Head Cheese vs. T&A at Wrestlemania 2000.

...Oh wait, that match didn't have any heat. It was also loving terrible.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

To add on to what others have said, he has a "punk rock" gimmick but looks like a dumpy teen who just hit the ring straight from a lovely club that has Disturbed and Korn on repeat, seems to lack any ring psychology, does stupid poo poo like Burning Hammers on upright chairs and has the dumbest sounding name for a move ever (GLIMMERING WARLOCK!).
gently caress Arik Cannon

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer
So I'm watching the Extreme Rules 2010 DVD, and in the middle of the Beth Phoenix/Michelle McCool "extreme makeover" match, someone in the 4th or 5th row slowly raises a :frog: sign.

Has a goon ever stepped up and taken credit for that? Cause I laughed my rear end off, I'll have you know.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm watching a Chikara DVD, and I was wondering how they get away with using random songs for entrance music. Are they just small enough that nobody notices, so they haven't been sued yet?

edit: on a side note I was totally bored with the Osirian Portal dance-off but then Bryce Remsburg got involved and everyone sold the hell out of it and I loved it again. More Bryce dancing please, Chikara.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 28, 2011

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

weekly font posted:

Lucha tags make sense in a "I am thinking about wrestling as a real sport outside of the world and rules of pro wrestling." So realistically, they're stupid.

Captain Charisma posted:

Tags also make it easy for anyone to follow along. They are a signal to even the guy in the nosebleeds that the guy on the outside can go to the inside. There is no reason not to include tags. They work, they're effective, and they're an easy visual cue.

Hirams Bitch posted:

You can't cut off the ring and isolate the partner and wear him down Anderson style with lucha rules.

YOU ALL DO NOT REALLY UNDERSTAND LUCHA TAG RULES. PLEASE PAY ATTENTION:

There are still tags in this system of rules. You still have to tag your partner in for him to be legal. Aside from a physical tag, which is still used, you can ALSO tag your partner in by going to the floor. Those are the rules. They enforce them very lightly in Mexico, so it may appear that you can just come in and do whatever, but you can still isolate one member of a team and tease tags within these rules. You just have to keep the guy in the ring AND away from his corner.

The "visual cue" is still a tag.

What you people have a problem with is Lucha psychology, which can seem random at times, not the rules.

edit: Also, Renaissance Spam, I will now explain blind tags to you in one sentence. If you blind tag yourself in right before your opponent kills the guy you're tagging, he can't pin that guy and win, and he doesn't know you're allowed to come in the ring and get him!

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 28, 2011

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

I'm watching a Chikara DVD, and I was wondering how they get away with using random songs for entrance music. Are they just small enough that nobody notices, so they haven't been sued yet?

That's the case with most indy wrestling. I don't think the entrance music thing becomes an issue unless they're being broadcast somehow. They did have a deal with Stan Bush to use his music (specifically "The Touch (Sam's Theme)") for KOT.

When ROH got on TV (so to speak), a lot of their wrestlers changed their entrance themes to non-licensed music, or commissioned their own music from artists. (See: Colt Cabana, Rhett Titus, Chris Hero)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The way music copyright works is that you're paying an increased price for how many people will hear the song. So bars have to pay fees for those jukeboxes but its a relatively small fee because they have a relatively small number of customers hearing them. If an indy puts its show on DVD or TV then the price goes up because way more people see it. That's why WWE was willing to pay the prices for the real songs for One Night Stand but not for the DVD release, because the cost was much more expensive for the DVD release than for the live show. And then, yes, of course most of these small companies are probably just flying under the radar and assuming that they're not big enough to ever draw the ire of anyone they may be stealing from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
On the subject of lucha rules, specifically it meaning that someone can't be cut off in the ring, see KoT09 finals between FIST and Team Uppercut. FIST successfully cuts Danielson off from his team for a good deal of the match.