Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Orzo posted:

This is a terrible idea because it filters out lots of really good developers. Why not just ask some basic programming questions on the phone? Works for us.

to extrapolate on this, i'm not saying* don't hire people who don't have any code in public, but you should ask them for any repositories that *are* available. that and having some code online they can peruse will work in your advantage and allow you to stand out.

* infact I was copy-pasting some advice I had heard.

edit: I mean, no-one has time to work on side projects

at the end of the day I would rather hire someone who has done a neat hack over someone who hasn't made time to mess around with the computer.
I value people who take time to experiment with new technology and tools.

tef fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
It really depends what the job description is. Where I work, we've interviewed a slew of people who have dabbled in this and that, have resumes with 100 languages and frameworks, etc etc, but when it comes down to it they can't actually write multiple classes that interact with each other. I'm sure they can write hacks and scripts and little programs that do neat things, but that's not what we want, and it's not what a lot of companies want. Then again, there are places that thrive on stuff like that, so yeah, different skill sets, different jobs.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

tef posted:

that's a real shaim.

Man don't I know it :v: I think about resurrecting it from time to time but that codebase is so far behind the times it's not even funny. Unity pretty much eliminates the entire plugin registration / eventing system I wrote and .NET itself has progressed at least a major version. On top of that I use a Mac now so writing a killer IM app for Windows doesn't move me like it once did.

ALL THAT SAID, spending four years hacking on shaim did wonders for my resume at the time. Whenever I interviewed the developers loved hearing that I worked on it for as long as I did. It was time well spent.

And hey, I'm not entirely a 9 - 5er yet. I'm teaching myself microcontroller programming so the "competent programmer" part of my brain can fully atrophy and die :unsmith:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Orzo posted:

I'm sure they can write hacks and scripts and little programs that do neat things, but that's not what we want, and it's not what a lot of companies want. Then again, there are places that thrive on stuff like that, so yeah, different skill sets, different jobs.

And people say i'm an arrogant git on the forums :v: These things are not mutually exclusive. I'm sorry some people are good at their job and also get to experiment with things :3:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

csammis posted:

ALL THAT SAID, spending four years hacking on shaim did wonders for my resume at the time. Whenever I interviewed the developers loved hearing that I worked on it for as long as I did. It was time well spent.

The moral people are missing here: Having code or a product people can play with does wonders for the interviewing process. Asking candidates for code or a product you can use gives you more insight than a phone screen alone.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

tef posted:

And people say i'm an arrogant git on the forums :v: These things are not mutually exclusive. I'm sorry some people are good at their job and also get to experiment with things :3:
Were you suggesting what I wrote sounded arrogant? Because I don't see how saying "some people are good at A, and some people are good at B, right now we need A" is arrogant.

Also I never said those things were mutually exclusive, so I'm not sure where you're getting that either.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I guess I was reading the mutually exclusive bit from where you said "we've interviewed a slew of people who have dabbled in this and that, [....] but when it comes down to it they can't actually write multiple classes that interact with each other".

Wizbang
Jan 13, 2005

"Y...you...oh...okay. I'll...
I'll be here if you change your mind...
we can be space cowboys together later...
So uh I have an interview in Pittsburgh next week and I'm totally freaked out about how to dress. Here in Portland I've been interviewing in clean jeans and a nice shirt, no tie...but that's Portland. The East coast is uppertight about dress, right? I have a nice suit, but it'll be a big hassle on the plane and I'd rather not worry about it if I don't have to...and it's almost as bad to be overdressed as underdressed, right?

Am I totally overthinking this? I've got the people and technical skills so I'm not too worried, but I've never worked on the East coast. I have this niggling fear that they'll take one look at me and say :frogout:

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

tef posted:

I guess I was reading the mutually exclusive bit from where you said "we've interviewed a slew of people who have dabbled in this and that, [....] but when it comes down to it they can't actually write multiple classes that interact with each other".
We've interviewed people who can do one, the other, neither, or both. But for some reason we get the types I mentioned earlier most often. I'm not saying they're mutually exclusive though.

Wizbang posted:

...and it's almost as bad to be overdressed as underdressed, right?
It's quite difficult to overdress in a scenario where the default is to wear a suit. Wear a suit, unless someone can correct me on some regional thing for that area.

Orzo fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 18, 2011

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Wizbang posted:

So uh I have an interview in Pittsburgh next week and I'm totally freaked out about how to dress. Here in Portland I've been interviewing in clean jeans and a nice shirt, no tie...but that's Portland. The East coast is uppertight about dress, right? I have a nice suit, but it'll be a big hassle on the plane and I'd rather not worry about it if I don't have to...and it's almost as bad to be overdressed as underdressed, right?

No no no no no no no no no. You're not applying at a bank, right? This is the software industry we're talking about. Don't wear a suit, don't wear a tie. Clean jeans and a nice shirt is right.

Edit: the default is not to wear a suit. Seriously no job applicant wears suits except people in their forties. And the ones who wear suits are always retarded.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 18, 2011

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yeah echoing the "don't wear a suit." tie optional as appropriate however

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Every single person I've interviewed at my current job has worn a suit, young or old. For reference, Chicago loop, banking software company. Clearly based on what you guys are saying, it varies from region to region.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Orzo posted:

Every single person I've interviewed at my current job has worn a suit, young or old. For reference, Chicago loop, banking software company. Clearly based on what you guys are saying, it varies from region to region.

You said the magic word: Banking.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

That's vastly different than 'a bank', which is what you said originally. And it's not just 'banking' this applies to, but anything in the financial industry.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Wizbang posted:

Am I totally overthinking this? I've got the people and technical skills so I'm not too worried, but I've never worked on the East coast. I have this niggling fear that they'll take one look at me and say :frogout:

Find out what the dress code is and dress one step "up" from that. If they are business casual, wear a shirt and tie, but not a suit. That said, you can't really over dress for an interview in my opinion.

Wizbang
Jan 13, 2005

Orzo posted:

it varies from region to region.

This is mostly what had me freaked out, the regional differences.

Lumpy posted:

Find out what the dress code is and dress one step "up" from that. If they are business casual, wear a shirt and tie, but not a suit.

Well, the eventual job is a 100% telecommute position so it's hard to figure out if they have a dress code at all (or how they'd enforce it). But now that I think about it being a telecommute positon...it's hard to imagine them caring about my clothes at all.

Piss Man 94
Jun 11, 2003

Lumpy posted:

That said, you can't really over dress for an interview in my opinion.

Last time I interviewed for a job the guy giving the interview wore flip flops and cargo shorts. I would have felt extremely silly wearing a suit to that interview.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Wizbang posted:

This is mostly what had me freaked out, the regional differences.

Well, the eventual job is a 100% telecommute position so it's hard to figure out if they have a dress code at all (or how they'd enforce it). But now that I think about it being a telecommute positon...it's hard to imagine them caring about my clothes at all.

I imagine the office in which you are interviewing has a dress code.... and no, they won't care what you wear while you work from home.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
The rule I've always heard (and always lived by) is: You can never over-dress. Unless they explicitly say "dress casually," you wear a suit.

shrughes posted:

No no no no no no no no no. You're not applying at a bank, right? This is the software industry we're talking about. Don't wear a suit, don't wear a tie. Clean jeans and a nice shirt is right.

Edit: the default is not to wear a suit. Seriously no job applicant wears suits except people in their forties. And the ones who wear suits are always retarded.

I just wanted to specifically quote this and say that I'm pretty sure you're insane.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 19, 2011

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Ithaqua posted:

The rule I've always heard (and always lived by) is: You can never over-dress. Unless they explicitly say "dress casually," you wear a suit.

I agree completely with this. It's basically a twist on Pascal's Wager:

Wear Suit, Overdressed: Make a stupid joke about being overdressed and conduct interview
Wear Suit, Match Environment: No impact on interview
Don't Wear Suit, Match Environment: No impact on interview
Don't Wear Suit, Underdressed: May be deciding factor in not getting the job

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If you've been talking to a recruiter/contact for the job, just ask them what you should wear to the interview.

Wizbang
Jan 13, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

If you've been talking to a recruiter/contact for the job, just ask them what you should wear to the interview.

NO I MUST SPERG THIS UP

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Aredna posted:

Don't Wear Suit, Underdressed: May be deciding factor in not getting the job

More like,

Don't Wear Suit, Underdressed: The employer sucks, good thing you dodged a bullet there.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Either you're trolling or you're really out of touch with reality.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

shrughes posted:

More like,

Don't Wear Suit, Underdressed: The employer sucks, good thing you dodged a bullet there.

rolleyes-vomiting-rolleyes.gif

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Curious to hear about people's interview experiences. Best/worst/funniest interviews?

I'm only on my 2nd job outside of college so I've only been through 5-6 complete interview processes. All of mine have been prosaic - standard online resume drop-off, phone screen, multi-day onsite technical & personality interviews.

I think the vetting process at my current firm is very effective:
1) At the firm level, we start with an online IQ/EQ test before doing a phone interview. It immediately screens for a minimum level of effort on the part of candidates.

2) Then, there's a video conference interview. This is meant to grill the candidate based on what they put on their resume. It's odd how often people lie about their technical expertise on their CVs and expect not to be questioned about it.

3) Followed by a timed remote programming project. A toy self-contained dev project completed within a day.

4) Onsite interviews which are a batch of character/technical interviews with different people.

5) Another timed onsite programming project this time spanning multiple days.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

shrike82 posted:

2) Then, there's a video conference interview. This is meant to grill the candidate based on what they put on their resume. It's odd how often people lie about their technical expertise on their CVs and expect not to be questioned about it.

How is this set up? Do the candidates have to provide their own camera?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

How is this set up? Do the candidates have to provide their own camera?

You can go to places like Kinko's/FedexOffice for rented videoconference rooms.

Piss Man 94
Jun 11, 2003

Orzo posted:

Either you're trolling or you're really out of touch with reality.

I work in IT in northern europe and I wouldn't want to work in a company with a dress code, because all those companies in this field in this country are sucky places to work.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

shrike82 posted:

I'm only on my 2nd job outside of college so I've only been through 5-6 complete interview processes. All of mine have been prosaic - standard online resume drop-off, phone screen, multi-day onsite technical & personality interviews.

Am I being paid hourly for these? But really, I hope you describe this process up front.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I would also never wear a suit to a dev interview. I definitely wouldn't wear jeans, but I would consider a suit way overkill.

e: also some relevant articles for this thread

Some tech leaders and their Class of 2011 speeches and advice.
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/051811-2011commencement-chambers-cisco-wozniak-apple-ballmer-microsoft.html

Article about some US hotspots for work, and skills in demand there,
http://houston.citybizlist.com//17/2011/5/18/Houston-Called-Hottest-Jot-Market-for-IT-Professionals-by-Staffing-Agency--cbl.aspx

Pweller fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 20, 2011

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

No Safe Word posted:

rolleyes-vomiting-rolleyes.gif

Usage: basically every shruges post I've seen lately :smith:

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
shrughes owns

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
unless you're expected to do a whole slew of client facing work, a dress code is a sign you may be writing middleware.

Belgarath
Feb 21, 2003

Gallatin posted:

Can you tell us anything about the 2nd test?
The second test is a more complicated, and is designed to test the candidates ability to solve a non-trivial problem, and demonstrate their ability and experience in designing a program which solves the problem, including variable, method and class naming, time management and how they cope under pressure.

The candidate has a choice of programming language (C/C++, C#, Java and Delphi) in which to do the test, and they get three hours. Depending on what position a candidate is interviewing for, depends on whether we expect the correct answer from their program, e.g. a junior dev wouldn't be expected to get the correct answer, whereas a senior dev would.

The actual test itself involves reading a dictionary file containing ~80k words, separated by line, and finding the largest set of words which has the longest anagram of all the words in the file. The solution should run in under a second. A competent programmer should easily solve it in under an hour, and produce a program that runs in under half a second.

My record in C# is 0.2s. Fastest is a C++ solution in ~0.13s.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Belgarath posted:

and finding the largest set of words which has the longest anagram of all the words in the file
Can you elaborate on what exactly this means? I'm not parsing it correctly I guess

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Orzo posted:

Can you elaborate on what exactly this means? I'm not parsing it correctly I guess

Sounds to me like he wants the set of words in the dictionary such that the set contains more than one word, all the words in the set are spelled with the same set of letters (are anagrams), the anagrams are of length as long or longer than the length of the words in any other set of anagrams ("has the longest anagram"), and the set contains more words than any other set of anagrams of the same length ("is the largest set of words"). Or I could be wrong and by "anagrams" he means "grammatically correct sentences constructed from words in the dictionary that are anagrams of other grammatically correct sentences constructed from words in the dictionary", but given the timings he quoted I doubt this is the correct interpretation.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Belgarath posted:

Thanks for the explanation, I was just curious. I think it's a great idea.

TasteMyHouse
Dec 21, 2006

Paolomania posted:

Sounds to me like he wants the set of words in the dictionary such that the set contains more than one word, all the words in the set are spelled with the same set of letters (are anagrams), the anagrams are of length as long or longer than the length of the words in any other set of anagrams ("has the longest anagram"), and the set contains more words than any other set of anagrams of the same length ("is the largest set of words"). Or I could be wrong and by "anagrams" he means "grammatically correct sentences constructed from words in the dictionary that are anagrams of other grammatically correct sentences constructed from words in the dictionary", but given the timings he quoted I doubt this is the correct interpretation.
I read that as "the set of words with the largest amount of letters that can be rearranged into a set of valid words with no letters left over"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

TasteMyHouse posted:

I read that as "the set of words with the largest amount of letters that can be rearranged into a set of valid words with no letters left over"

Hmmm, perhaps it needs more clarification.