Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I love the responsive screen, no page flipping swipe needed. Just a tap.

The bad news is, what if you tap on a word near the margin to get a definition?

I really hope the screen is finicky about that stuff.

Only real downside to the nook over my sony right now is that my sony has collections that calibre can manage, and the nook doesn't.

Screen looks amazing (love the no flash), that rubber coating looks like it's going to be pretty great although I worry about it cracking at a later date.

If they announce the sony style collections, I think I might have to grab a second ereader :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I haven't had a chance to find any videos, the screen is nice and responsive? If so it is probably a sealed deal for me :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Codiusprime posted:

I haven't had a chance to find any videos, the screen is nice and responsive? If so it is probably a sealed deal for me :(

Both Engadet and this is my next have videos now.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/24/barnes-noble%E2%80%99-nook-hands-on/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/24/barnes-and-noble-announces-new-nook/

It looks like you only get a flash of a full page refresh occasionally on page turns, usually it's a fade in and out of text.

The touch keyboard on the eInk screen actually looks more responsive has a quicker refresh than the current LCD on the 1st gen nook.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Both Engadet and this is my next have videos now.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/24/barnes-noble%E2%80%99-nook-hands-on/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/24/barnes-and-noble-announces-new-nook/

It looks like you only get a flash of a full page refresh occasionally on page turns, usually it's a fade in and out of text.

The touch keyboard on the eInk screen actually looks more responsive has a quicker refresh than the current LCD on the 1st gen nook.

Thanks, engadget is blocked at work and this is my next was unknown to me until today. That is really, really nice.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
With my Sony PRS-300, whenever I either set a bookmark or exit to the menu from a book, there's a pretty long lagspike.

It's especially annoying with ebooks that do the "link to a section at the end" thing for footnotes, because you have to exit to the menu and hit previous view to go back.

Do newer readers (the newer Sony ones/Kindles, since those are the only big name ones available in the UK) have this problem or not?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Used my gf's Nook (first time I'd ever used an e-reader) over the weekend. Almost bought a Nook 1 for $100 yesterday, but decided to wait. Thought I'd check this forum for any info on it, and there you go.

Just ordered the Nook 2. Can't wait to get it in in time for the new GRRM book.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 24, 2011

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

ChrisAsmadi posted:

With my Sony PRS-300, whenever I either set a bookmark or exit to the menu from a book, there's a pretty long lagspike.

It's especially annoying with ebooks that do the "link to a section at the end" thing for footnotes, because you have to exit to the menu and hit previous view to go back.

Do newer readers (the newer Sony ones/Kindles, since those are the only big name ones available in the UK) have this problem or not?

I get a lag spike on the Kindle about 1/50 of the time that I underline something. And I underline a LOT. There's a physical "back" button on it that you press to go back from a footnote link or whatever.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Durr, apparently the new nook doesn't have a web browser. Which sucks, considering how much better browsing would be on its screen.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I seem to remember a web page detailing loads of Kindle shortcuts and tricks. Does anyone have the link, I can't find it now.

Edit: Think it was this one http://blog.diannegorman.net/2010/09/kindle-3-keyboard-shortcuts-et-al/

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 25, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hope and vaseline posted:

Durr, apparently the new nook doesn't have a web browser. Which sucks, considering how much better browsing would be on its screen.

The original nook has been out for two years and the browser is still listed as a beta feature. I'm pretty sure they've abandoned development on it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm sure that will be fixed when it's jailbroken.

Which is my big dilemma now, do I order one before it's jailbroken? I was going to get it for my wife for her birthday which is right about when it comes out, but since we use calibre for our library management, and the nook software rather sucks out of the box with calibre (Not handling directories, not writing bookshelves) I'm not sure what to do.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

bull3964 posted:

The original nook has been out for two years and the browser is still listed as a beta feature. I'm pretty sure they've abandoned development on it.

And I say good riddance. I think I've tried web browsing on my nook maybe twice, and it's such an awful interface I haven't tried since. In a world of 3G phones and laptop computers, an e-ink web browser isn't a needed feature.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doc Faustus posted:

And I say good riddance. I think I've tried web browsing on my nook maybe twice, and it's such an awful interface I haven't tried since. In a world of 3G phones and laptop computers, an e-ink web browser isn't a needed feature.

Exactly. Then you add the fact that it's wifi only and you really scale back the specific instances in which the browser would be useful.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The nook browser specifically didn't work on 3g anyway, so it's no change there.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Looks like Amazon countered with a 3g kindle that's ad supported for 164$

Dunno if I like that or not. On one hand, hey 25$ off. On the other hand, igh ads.

As soon as they figure out how to do collections, I am there though. Amazon has some great ebook services.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

This is pretty much exactly what i was hoping for. As for the shape of the device, the actual screen is the same size and dimensions as the kindle right? Its just the shell thats different. Anyways its preordered.
Now I just need to sell my nook1 that just got replaced yesterday...

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

The new nook definitely looks like a neat device. I'm just keenly interested to see what the review sites end up saying. As a "nook classic" owner, I'm intrigued by this kind of thing seeing as I'm in the market for a new device.

If this is a neat thing, awesome, new nook. If not, awesome, abandon the BN ecosystem for Amazon.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A Fistful of Owls posted:

Next to nobody bought the 3G model after the WiFi-only device came out.
Maybe for the Nook, the far minority device maker, but as for Amazon as far as I've heard 3G Kindle sells are better than ever AND they have a whole bunch of wifi only sales.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
If there is something on the kindle store at amazon.co.uk, and you have an amazon.com registered kindle. How hard is it to get content from the UK site?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Centipeed posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Amazon jumps on the bandwagon and provides their own touchscreen e-reader, but then again maybe they prefer the hardware keyboard.

I doubt it'll be long before we see something new from them - Kindle 1 was 2007, Kindle 2 2009, and Kindle 3 2010.

Either way, there aren't enough new features in the Nook 2 to win me over, and the amazing customer support I continue to see from Amazon has earned my loyalty.

There's no way Amazon isn't coming out with a touchscreen Kindle. A touchscreen is the best way to navigate a device like that in conjunction with physical page turning buttons.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Ethereal posted:

There's no way Amazon isn't coming out with a touchscreen Kindle. A touchscreen is the best way to navigate a device like that in conjunction with physical page turning buttons.

I'm going to be blunt here: if it was such a good idea, Amazon would have already done it. There you go.

Look at how the Kindle actually made ebooks popular after over a decade previous of muddling along and ebooks costing $19 or even higher.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

madprocess posted:

I'm going to be blunt here: if it was such a good idea, Amazon would have already done it. There you go.
Yeah but they can announce a touchscreen Kindle now and take the wind out of the sails of the other touchscreen readers! This is a brilliant marketing strategy, how can you not see what they're doing???

Seriously though I'd rather buy a touchscreen Kindle than a touchscreen Nook just for Amazon customer support. Also the fact that they'll undercut everyone because they can.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

madprocess posted:

Look at how the Kindle actually made ebooks popular after over a decade previous of muddling along and ebooks costing $19 or even higher.

And look at how Apple revolutionized eBooks and seized the market with their iPad.

People love the Kindle format, and I don't think many are begging for a touchscreen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Quantify! posted:

Also the fact that they'll undercut everyone because they can.

Except when they can't which is pretty often due to the agency model.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bull3964 posted:

Except when they can't which is pretty often due to the agency model.

Ain't no agency model on hardware bro.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

madprocess posted:

That said, Amazon did buy Touchco a year ago but that is most likely for their upcoming tablet.

quote:

Touchco uses a technology called interpolating force-sensitive resistance, which it puts into displays that can be completely transparent and could cost as little as $10 a square foot. The capacitive touch screens used in the iPad and iPhone are considerably more expensive. Unlike those screens, the Touchco screens can also detect an unlimited number of simultaneous touch points.

Touchco’s technology uses resistors that are sensitive to different levels of pressure. It has said its screens can distinguish between the touch of a finger and the pressure of a pen or similar pointing device.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

B&N and Amazon are having a battery life war.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20066255-1/b-n-fires-back-at-amazon-over-kindle-battery-life/?tag=cnetRiver

Basically, B&N is taking issue with Amazon changing the specs of the Kindle 3 to match battery life based on half hour reading times.

quote:

With up to two months on a single charge, the all-new Nook has the longest battery life in the industry and superior battery performance to Kindle 3. In our side-by-side tests, under the exact same conditions, continuous use of the device resulted in more than two times Kindle's battery life. While reading at one page a minute, the all-new Nook battery lasts for 150 hours, where the Kindle battery, using the same page-turn rate, lasts for only 56 hours (both with Wi-Fi off). We've also done a continuous page turn test and at one page turn per second, the all-new Nook offers more than 25,000 continuous page turns on a single charge.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What the hell. When battery life is a month it basically becomes a non-issue. Even with my iPad and its 10 hour life it's not even something I think about anymore.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yeah, really. I plug my kindle in at least once a week to put stuff on it and by the time I actually need to take it anywhere it's fully charged. Once you hit the "longer than I will ever need" barrier it's no longer a metric I concern myself with. The multiple-month battery life is only a selling point for people who backpack mountains in South America or something and won't see a power outlet for months on end - and even then, an ad-based wifi kindle + a cheap solar charger is about the same as the new Nook.

Javid fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 26, 2011

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.
I'm pretty happy to see ACTUAL battery life benchmarks instead of the meaningless "lasts X days" that have been generally used. I read both faster and more per day than the "average" user or whatever so I think its really interesting to see how often I could actually expect to have to charge a reader without buying it. With any luck this encourages companies to continue to post actual battery lives in the future.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

What the hell. When battery life is a month it basically becomes a non-issue. Even with my iPad and its 10 hour life it's not even something I think about anymore.

It was kind of funny seeing the stark difference in "days" of battery life when I read for 3 hours a night. It goes from a month to a week, but obviously it's a non-issue.

Much better to estimate it in page turns and let people figure it out for themselves. Stating it in days is meaningless, even when clarified with "30 minutes of reading a day".

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Vertigus posted:

And look at how Apple revolutionized eBooks and seized the market with their iPad.

People love the Kindle format, and I don't think many are begging for a touchscreen.

Well, that's kind of apples and oranges. iPad is the expensive swiss army knife, kindle is your paring knife.

I'd say the more relevant metaphor is touchscreen phones vs. keyboard phones. People used to think keyboards were indispensable. Post-iPhone touchscreen phones are most of the market now, with just a few keyboarded android, BB and palm phones in comparison. Even lovely dumbphones try to go for that all-touchscreen design.

Get a good enough software keyboard and you can get rid of the hardware one, especially on something like an ereader where typing isn't all that essential to the experience except for your occasional searches.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MrBond posted:

Well, that's kind of apples and oranges. iPad is the expensive swiss army knife, kindle is your paring knife.

I'd say the more relevant metaphor is touchscreen phones vs. keyboard phones. People used to think keyboards were indispensable. Post-iPhone touchscreen phones are most of the market now, with just a few keyboarded android, BB and palm phones in comparison. Even lovely dumbphones try to go for that all-touchscreen design.

Get a good enough software keyboard and you can get rid of the hardware one, especially on something like an ereader where typing isn't all that essential to the experience except for your occasional searches.

The touchscreen interface is a poor match for e-ink. The d-pad and page turn buttons set up is much more useful than a touchscreen that simply can't show a response immediately.

Don't forget that this is what these devices looked like before the Kindle came out:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The page refreshing 'flash' has always put me off e-readers so it's good to see some progress in that department. Has the resolution been improved in this new nook too?

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

KingEup posted:

The page refreshing 'flash' has always put me off e-readers so it's good to see some progress in that department. Has the resolution been improved in this new nook too?

Not trying to sound :smug: but did you try out any of the pearl screens? The flash is so quick I honestly don't even know it's going on, and it's WAY faster then moving a physical page to the other side of the book.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

KingEup posted:

It uses the same screen as the current-generation Kindle, so if you live near somewhere that has them in store you can get an idea of the resolution.

As for the page flash, it's great to see it reduced (and hopefully it'lll be gone completely soon), but really once you use and e-ink device for more than a 10 minutes it becomes a non-issue. Like FidgetyRat said, the flash is faster than the time it takes to turn the page in a physical book. You get used to it very quickly.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Honestly, I hope the FTC steps in and mandates eReaders need to discuss their battery life in terms of # of page turns till out of power.

They set the advertising standards for things like cell phones, so they should step in here as well.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

KingEup posted:

Has the resolution been improved in this new nook too?

This is strange - I've never even considered e-ink screens in terms of resolution before. The Kindle 3 already looks like an ordinary paperback unless you're examining individual letters closely.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

KingEup posted:

No, it's still 800x600. The company that makes the e-ink screens for both of them has not improved on pixel density yet, so if you want more resolution you will have to get a Kindle DX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Cardboard Box A posted:

No, it's still 800x600. The company that makes the e-ink screens for both of them has not improved on pixel density yet, so if you want more resolution you will have to get a Kindle DX.

Speaking of which I've got a DX up for sale in SA-Mart http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3414758