Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Flatscan posted:

Education is one thing, acting like you're a missionary preaching to sub-humans is something else entirely.

If people hadn't ignored the nice easy warnings, they wouldn't have to deal with a more zealous approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Testro posted:

I wished I had been in school during the original crusade. For my entire 7 years in secondary (plus Sixth Form) education, our canteen sold a combination of pizza and chips, sausage and chips, pie and chips, beans and chips or well, chips and chips. The only drinks available were cartons of full sugar juice or milkshake, and then you could have about 10 different types of cake for dessert.

My school changed supplier mid-way through my time there. The first caterer did chips a few times a week, but also pasta bakes and jacket potatoes, meals that can be made quickly and cheaply in large quantities. The second company did nothing but pizza, burgers (vegetarians got meat-free burgers) and chips. The staff even buttered the buns for the burgers, and were extremely reluctant to let someone have a plain bun because "that's how we've been told to serve them". There was a breakfast club, but the only food available was a bacon roll or burger. Not even something as basic as toast was served as a less-greasy alternative. It was possible to have a burger and Coke for breakfast five days a week and it shouldn't have taken a TV chef to point out how ridiculous it was.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I wouldn't go far as to say that burger and chips are inherently unhealthy for you depending on the way it's cooked, but when I worked at a kitchen everything came pre-cooked and we just microwaved it for 2 minutes and the deep fat frier was pretty much always full of chips or curly fries.

I watched part of the show and felt for him and I can dig that he wants to educate rather than ban (corn comes from corn-dogs that grow out of the ground? gently caress off). Another tripping post is that, if you've ever had American food, it's full of sugar and corn. Even the bread tastes like cake.

AND CORN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LrCCvHFBSQ

the A303 documentary was pretty interesting. There's a guy at the end who eats roadkill whose on another bbc 2 documentary from a few years back called 'The Man Who Eats Badgers' which was pretty good from what I can remember.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
As irritating as Jamie Oliver is, I guess it's kind of hard to get mad about someone trying to ensure kids have better nutrition. He's still a mush mouthed twat, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
How many Z-list celebrities do I have to smother to get something like Arrested Development comedy wise over here?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

How many Z-list celebrities do I have to smother to get something like Arrested Development comedy wise over here?

Make a start, we'll tell you when to stop.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'd better hire some construction machinery then

The best beer advertisement we've had in a while. Contains Rik Mayall with mutton chops.

Also, I think I the local Napoleonic reinactment group from Bodmin nearby (I recognise those Shako badges anywhere) in this.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I lost a lot of respect for rik mayall when he decided to be part of the no 2 av campaign.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

le chat posted:

I lost a lot of respect for rik mayall when he decided to be part of the no 2 av campaign.

Don't give a gently caress about British politics and the magic will return. Thats how I cope.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I'm not always particularly kind with my opinions on Waterloo Road, but fair play, it takes guts for the BBC to make the local conservative party the bad guys. Especially when in real life the evil fuckers are looking for any excuse to wreck devastating retribution on poor old auntie beeb.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
I was walking out the room at the time, but the trail for Comedy vehicle sounded like it said Alan Moore is on? Do yous think it's going to be for a few minutes at the end like the musicians?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Wormophile posted:

As irritating as Jamie Oliver is, I guess it's kind of hard to get mad about someone trying to ensure kids have better nutrition. He's still a mush mouthed twat, though.

Must confess that I was the same - TV chef going on a moral crusade again, oh look who's on the Sainsburys adverts :rolleyes: - until I realised that the people pushing burgers through school railings as a personal 'gently caress you Jamie Oliver' deserved the Twat of the Highest Order medals, not the guy doing live 'here is how to cook a half-decent meal for your family, you can cook along with me' shows, and exposing school dinners for what they are: bluntly, cheap crap.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

le chat posted:

I've never quite been able to get a fix on Rik's politics. He was part of the alternative comedy wave which did align with a young left-leaning demographic, but he was also in the anti-Euro campaign when the idea of entering the pound into it was touted years ago, so he's not exactly known for championing popular Guardianista causes. In fact, he's probably mainly known for a character who takes the piss out of the sort of person who reads it. Maybe he's like Ben Elton, a sort-of-radical who got old and comfortable.

(Besides, AV was a total cop-out. It was "a miserable compromise" that nobody really wanted anyway, the chance for which for was "generously" granted by people who knew it could be used to put back the PR agenda by a decade.)

SeanBeansShako posted:

Don't give a gently caress about British politics and the magic will return. Thats how I cope.

It probably won't, but that doesn't make any of his great older stuff any less brilliant.

Ben Soosneb posted:

I'm not always particularly kind with my opinions on Waterloo Road, but fair play, it takes guts for the BBC to make the local conservative party the bad guys. Especially when in real life the evil fuckers are looking for any excuse to wreck devastating retribution on poor old auntie beeb.

Everyone goes after Auntie. Reading the Guardian comments (though I had to stop and only read the articles now for the sake of my sanity), the left seems to hate it as much as the right. Personally I think if it's pissing everyone off, that means it must be doing something right.

I just paid my TV license the other day, and to anyone who thinks we should let the Beeb get privatised, I ask; have you seen the poo poo on ITV?

Edit: Also, while searching for an image of Olive the Bash Street Dinner Lady, the epitome of the crap school meal provider, I found this:

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 1, 2011

birmingha
Nov 8, 2010

ScipioAfro posted:

I was walking out the room at the time, but the trail for Comedy vehicle sounded like it said Alan Moore is on? Do yous think it's going to be for a few minutes at the end like the musicians?

I do know that Alan Moore has filmed some extras for the SLCV2 DVD release (it says so on either Stew's site or the amazon pre-order page).

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Rathen posted:

Holy gently caress this carehome expose thing on BBC 1 is just jesus loving terrible.

It takes a shitload to even remotely bother me, but this is just the worst thing ever. Ever. Needs to be seen, but it's painful to watch.

I watched this solely because of the hype, expecting it to be the usual expose where the place is dirty and patients are neglected because clueless management think one care worker should be able to cope with a dozen challenging patients. Clueless management is right, but this was just horrific. The part where Wayne stomped on a patient's fingers just to make her scream was just awful. It was heartbreaking to see the families' reactions to the footage.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Massive prawns. Definitely a good indicator of quality of life. I actually found that episode funny!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Famous audience member spotted on Stewart Lee?

Pretty sure Mark Watson was in the front row, wearing a red jumper.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
Doubt it considering Lee took the piss out of him on his last tour.

birmingha
Nov 8, 2010

wickles posted:

Doubt it considering Lee took the piss out of him on his last tour.

All the more reason for him to be there. Stew is on good terms with him as well as Jimmy Carr, Al Murray and Frank Skinner (saw him at the 'At Last! The 1981 Show' last Monday) and he's ripped the piss out of all them at some point.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

birmingha posted:

All the more reason for him to be there. Stew is on good terms with him as well as Jimmy Carr, Al Murray and Frank Skinner (saw him at the 'At Last! The 1981 Show' last Monday) and he's ripped the piss out of all them at some point.

Not seen what he said about Skinner or Watson, but in Carr's case he said if you're writing jokes Jim Davidson can steal you're doing something wrong, before acknowledging that Carr was saying something misogynistic ironically ("which Davidson could then misappropriate at face value") and with Murray he was mocking a subset of his fan-base, who's existence is acknowledged by Murray whilst out of character, who don't take what The Pub Landlord says with a sense of irony, and see that he's critiquing what they think he's celebrating.

And after Boyle shot his mouth last year, I just don't think Watson holds grudges anyway.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'm glad Stewart Lee isn't on at 9 or something as the stuff about paedophiles would be blown out of proportion and he'd end up on channel 4 or something. Also, it was very funny.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'm sure I've seen that Braveheart routine before somewhere, is comedy vehicle not supposed to be new material?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Captain Mediocre posted:

I'm sure I've seen that Braveheart routine before somewhere, is comedy vehicle not supposed to be new material?

not all of it is entirely new, the bit last week about the IRA is taken from quite an old show. I don't mind at all because a lot of people watching comedy vehicle won't have seen that, he re-works it a bit and it's still funny anyway. Lots of comedians have the same material all over the place, Stewart Lee in general is quite good at having new stuff regularly though

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Captain Mediocre posted:

Its from "Stand Up Comedian". Its been changed a bit though.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Captain Mediocre posted:

No, it's pretty much all recycled or slightly changed material from his last few shows. The Braveheart bit is from a show around 4 years ago or more. It's a great bit and most of the people watching probably hadn't seen it, so I can see why it was put in, but I pretty much knew it by heart at this stage.

marnold
Oct 1, 2010
Sort of going through a withdrawal of british comedy.

Office UK is my favorite comedy of all time (Party Down/Arrested Development/Futurama/Simpsons round my top 5)

Enjoyed IT Crowd, though didnt think it was brilliant. Black Books was great. Peep Show is great.

Been sort of amiss with the last few years of British Comedies. So what is worth watching peeps? Awkward Office-esque style humor with a heart is the best of all worlds.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Psychoville. Have you seen League of Gentlemen? It's made by some of the same people and I think it's far better. Alan Partridge too, though you've probably seen that.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

marnold posted:

Office UK is my favorite comedy of all time (Party Down/Arrested Development/Futurama/Simpsons round my top 5)

Enjoyed IT Crowd, though didnt think it was brilliant. Black Books was great. Peep Show is great.

Been sort of amiss with the last few years of British Comedies. So what is worth watching peeps? Awkward Office-esque style humor with a heart is the best of all worlds.
Presumably you've seen Extras?

also it's not British but from what I know of it you seem like you'd enjoy Parks and Recreation

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

marnold posted:

15 Storeys High is good, and I really liked Grandmas House. Also the comedy with Jo Brand that I can't remember the name of, in the hospital?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

hookerbot 5000 posted:

15 Storeys High is good, and I really liked Grandmas House.

yes to both of these. Grandma's House in particular has quite a bit of that awkward humour going on but it has more to it also

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Man to Man with Dean Learner.

Also you've probably watched it already, but The Thick of It is fantastic.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

marnold posted:

Someone just asked this exact question so the last few pages of this thread are full of recommendations for good British comedy.

e: well I guess the recommendations are kind of spread out but they start on page 157

fuf fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 2, 2011

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Man to Man with Dean Learner.

Also you've probably watched it already, but The Thick of It is fantastic.

You're recommending Man to Man but not Darkplace? :confused:

The smoking room is the most similar thing to the office and is great, it also has Jez from peepshow in it. 15 stories high, the thick of it, league of gentlemen and Psychoville are all great as well.

Strawman fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 2, 2011

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

hookerbot 5000 posted:

15 Storeys High is good, and I really liked Grandmas House. Also the comedy with Jo Brand that I can't remember the name of, in the hospital?
Getting On. Highly recommended!

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Psychoville. Have you seen League of Gentlemen? It's made by some of the same people and I think it's far better. Alan Partridge too, though you've probably seen that.

I certainly wouldn't describe that as a show with a heart. Well, maybe someone else's heart in a box in its cupboard.

Alan Partridge for sure, though. I've also really liked Campus. It had a definite Office feel in places (in fact, until I realised how completely mental the boss is, I was worried he was just a Brent clone), but I enjoyed it more.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
Steve Coogan in talks on new Alan Partridge series
Alan Partridge looks set to return for his first new TV series in nearly a decade, with Steve Coogan in talks with the BBC and other broadcasters about adapting his online show.

Baby Cow, the production company co-owned by Coogan, is in talks to rework the 2010 online series Mid Morning Matters, which follows Partridge as he records his North Norfolk Digital radio show.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jun/02/steve-coogan-new-alan-partridge-series?INTCMP=SRCH
:woop:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

marnold posted:

Green Wing.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

ChuckDHead posted:

Everyone goes after Auntie. Reading the Guardian comments (though I had to stop and only read the articles now for the sake of my sanity), the left seems to hate it as much as the right. Personally I think if it's pissing everyone off, that means it must be doing something right.

I just paid my TV license the other day, and to anyone who thinks we should let the Beeb get privatised, I ask; have you seen the poo poo on ITV?

Having had the dubious pleasure of working very closely with the BBC on several projects over the last year, I'm quite happy to say that the budget cuts it is receiving are a good thing if it helps them think about their structure. They do with 100 people what other companies do better with 5, and that is no exagguration. It should never be privatised of course, tory madness.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

marnold posted:

Ideal, with Johnny Vegas. Best thing to have come out of BBC 3 in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Catzilla posted:

Ideal, with Johnny Vegas. Best thing to have come out of BBC 3 in my opinion.

I second this mans opinion, but somebody should really throw up a list of unjudgemental list of British comedy for people to browse.

Also a list of stuff we can all agree is just awful.