Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoJ
Jun 5, 2011

by angerbeet

KozmoNaut posted:

Sell it on Ebay.

"L@@K!!! GENUINE VINTAGE DOT4 BRAKE FLUID, AGED TO PERFECTION! PERFECT FOR CLASSIC CAR OR BIKE!"

I just did for 45km. Hard on the rear brake and tried to maintain speed with liberal application of throttle. Seems to be better now, altough there is the occassional creak or *PANG* from the rear brake right now as it's cooling down.

We might have to check your rear disc for warp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BoJ posted:

We might have to check your rear disc for warp.

I can't feel any vibration when using the rear brake only, but it obviously won't hurt to check.

BoJ
Jun 5, 2011

by angerbeet

KozmoNaut posted:

BoJ, soon to be PERMA-permabanned posted:

I can't imagine any mod would permaban anyone for posting vintage brake fluid with spiders.

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006
I made some saddle bag guards out of magic metal. Got to tear all the body work off my rear and that was kinda neat. Total cost of materials maybe $15.

I think they look classy and fit the theme of the bike well, considering the brushed aluminum accents.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

KozmoNaut posted:

DOT5.1
If it turns out that you want even more stopping power out of your new setup, might I suggest running some Motul RBF600 :D. I accidentally did a stoppie on the 250 with that ish and RUBBER lines.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I swapped out my points for some awesome electronic ignition and put in some new spark plugs because the old ones fouled out a bunch and sucked.

Runes a lot smoother now but the idle needs adjusted a bit.

And I found out that a squirrel likes to get into my garage all muddy and dance around on my bike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Put some dust on it. I realized that the strom's seen maybe about five minutes of gravel road, so I gave it another hour or so down this highway that scared the bejesus out of me when I was a noob on a KLR, but objectively is like one step up in offensiveness from hard-packed dry earth.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
The Superduke was pissing coolant out of the overflow tube this weekend, so I added more, and it spat it back out on the ground again. The manual stated to lift the front wheel 20 inches of the ground to get a good bleed but I read that tilting the bike side to side would achieve the desired air-less cooling system. I tilted the bike so that the frame sliders nearly touched the garage floor and voila no more coolant draining away, YET. I've only taken it around the block a couple times tonight to get it good and hot and let it idle for a couple minutes with no wet-spots underneath :unsmith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

The Superduke was pissing coolant out of the overflow tube this weekend, so I added more, and it spat it back out on the ground again. The manual stated to lift the front wheel 20 inches of the ground to get a good bleed but I read that tilting the bike side to side would achieve the desired air-less cooling system. I tilted the bike so that the frame sliders nearly touched the garage floor and voila no more coolant draining away, YET. I've only taken it around the block a couple times tonight to get it good and hot and let it idle for a couple minutes with no wet-spots underneath :unsmith:

Htm, seems like it'd be hard to hold it right at 20. Im sure you could keep it in the reigion of 20 inches through at least first gear though.

KTM repair: requires good throttle control. :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I ride an Enfield, what's a wheelie?

On another note, though, I am just finishing up rewiring my bike. Moving the main harness inside the backbone, and paring it down to 9 wires with frame ground instead of 35 wires with some frame ground.

Did you know that Enfield India uses 22 AWG wire for their headlights? That's right, 12 volts at 3 amps through 22 gauge wire. The same goes for the coil, all the handlebar switches, AND the main wire from the battery. How did they not catch fire I will never know. Niiiiiice. Entire bike is now no less than 14 gauge, and all signals etc are LED to help the 65-75W alternator at stop lights.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BoJ posted:

I can't imagine any mod would permaban anyone for posting vintage brake fluid with spiders.

Other people manage to fly under the radar for extended periods (I gather from reading rap sheets), but you, you...have a lot of :10bux:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

Other people manage to fly under the radar for extended periods (I gather from reading rap sheets), but you, you...have a lot of :10bux:

Plus a severe mancrush on Sigtrap :ssh:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Sigtrap hardly seems to post in here since about the time Blaster of Justice collected his first ban.

Coincidence?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Took the SV out for a day of riding in the mountains. Hit the gap, foothills parkway, blue ridge parkway and some other fun twisty roads. Felt good to take the commuter out for some fun riding.

Actually glad the CRF isn't ready to ride yet. 300 miles would have been very uncomfortable and would have required another oil change and valve check.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Saga posted:

Personally I love that every so often we get a BoJ visit for a few posts. It's hilarious.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Watched as the ambient air temperature gauge hit 104* for the first time this season (yesterday)

annnnnd, got my first ticket while on a motorcycle (last Thursday, 66 in a 50... yay)

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Raven457 posted:

That sucks... but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had this type of problem. I grabbed some OEM Suzuki seals yesterday (at twice the frigging price of the other set, ouch), I'll probably tear it all down again next weekend when I'm not on call.

Good luck on the seals, I orderd the honda ones last week and they wont get in unil late this week. The only honda shop in my area sucks hard and I really cant think they wouldnt have 37mm seals in stock.

I am still on the line about doing them my self or paying them $130-140 to do them.

I put some 81 CB900 carb boots on and they are shorter than the old ones and wont seal to the airbox so i need to put the old ones back on and try to cover the cracks in them until I can find a set from a 82.

List of things need to be done.

Fork seals.
Carb to airbox boots.
Front pads, current ones are soaked in fork oil.
Check accel pump on carbs, replaced spring and pump but still falls flat on takeoff. (might also be related to carb boots leaking air in.)

Love this bike but I wish I could get it road ready by now.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

Raven457 posted:

Watched as the ambient air temperature gauge hit 104* for the first time this season (yesterday)

Mine hit 30* a few weeks ago. It'd be nice if we could just all settle on 80.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I hit a bump which somehow caused my new exhaust to explode. It's hard to tell, but it split in half at the head.

It happened right before work. I wound up late because I had to push it back to my house and take my car. I just got home, so I'll have to wait until morning to see just how much carnage there is.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Finally made myself remember to order the time sert kit for the SV's oil drain threads during work, as they are closed by the time I'm usually out in the afternoon. Keeping everything that is crossable, crossed that it goes smoothly and I don't leave aluminum shavings floating around in the case. I'll be filling it with poo poo oil and changing it again after ~50 miles or so, to be sure.

Between that whole debacle, the CA DMV wanting hundreds of dollars worth of inspections done to the Ninja to reregister it as salvage (I'm considering parting it out because of that and some other little issues), and seeing both of them, sitting there helplessly stranded in the garage in various states of disassembly, every morning as I get on the dinky little Virago to head to work, I've been in a pretty depressed moto mood lately. I really feel like I need an injection of sumo at some point soon. :smith:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Reassembled my forks and got 'em back on the bike, but unfortunately the gaiters have to go. Even without the weight of the bike, they're a bit too droopy and compressed; just didn't look good. I'm gonna keep looking for some smaller blue ones that will work, but I'm probably going to have to settle for black.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ReidRansom posted:

Put my new steering bearings in and reassembled the stem. While I was lining it all up I went ahead and put on the bars and gaiters just to have a look.

Also, finished painting my rear wheel. Just need to hit it with a few coats of clear yet.

awesome. glad to see you're making progress.

my gl is still chillin, waiting for a top end gasket set.
I think I'll pull the carbs this weekend and give them a once over while I'm waiting.

in the meantime...

joe's 750k is gonna get some attention.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I pulled the new exhaust off to find that it wasn't split after all. I was just looking at a piece of metal welded to the pipe. However, the flange is still bent to hell. Other casualties were two bent exhaust bolts and possibly a slightly elongated bolt hole in the head. Eek. Still, the old stock exhaust bolted right back up with little difficulty. I only had time to replace that before I had to go to work. I'll need to put the old stock weights back in the variator, too. My top speed with the lighter weights right now is around 35. Stock with just the restrictions removed from the exhaust and variator was over 40.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.
i rode in very tight concentric circles at the dmv in preparation for the riders test next Thursday

that test sucks.

alot.

I also plan on doing it on this beast as i have no other bikes available to me

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

oxyrosis posted:

i rode in very tight concentric circles at the dmv in preparation for the riders test next Thursday

that test sucks.

alot.

I also plan on doing it on this beast as i have no other bikes available to me

I have a friend who did a similar mod on his VFR:

I got it from the bad side though :(

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Z3n posted:

I have a friend who did a similar mod on his VFR:

I got it from the bad side though :(

wow, thanks for showing me his bike, the pic i posted was an IDEA i had. im glad to see it looks amazing actually applied.

i know a guy who works at a sign shop and he can make me the decals at cost.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Called up my accessories dude asking for that Cobra Powrpro fuel controller thing. I really want it but Cobra keeps pushing back the release for my bike, and now it's looking like July 8th is the next time they'll announce a delay. M109R dudes can get it and seem pretty positive about it.

So barring that, I ordered a new handlebar with more rise and pullback so my hands dont go numb after a couple hundred miles, and new Avon contour grips to go with them.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Pulled this friendly little fellow out of my rear tire.

I tried four times to patch it with those awful tar threads, but each time it developed a slow leak once the tire hit ~40 psi. I'm leaving one in overnight without putting it under pressure and seeing what that does.

Thank gently caress the tire is nearly bald, I'd have been livid if I caught that one in the new Pirelli I'm looking at.

LO Technology
Mar 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Bixington posted:

I tried four times to patch it with those awful tar threads, but each time it developed a slow leak once the tire hit ~40 psi. I'm leaving one in overnight without putting it under pressure and seeing what that does.

Thank gently caress the tire is nearly bald, I'd have been livid if I caught that one in the new Pirelli I'm looking at.

I've had such a little fellow punch a tiny hole right though my wheel before. Just a tiny hole. Check before you patch, mate.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got my thread repair insert kit a day or two ago and finally tackled it earlier. The whole process went pretty smoothly, once I devised a way to get the bike high enough off the ground to fit my drill underneath. I also discovered that I am capable of lifting the front end if need be.

It is goddamn terrifying going at your cheesy-soft aluminum block with a 9/16" drill bit, I tell you hwat.

Inserting the... insert. I recommend time-serts if you ever find yourself in this predicament, the kit is very nice and even comes in a little case! Nothing beats nice new taps and counterbores and other machine-y stuff.

Flushing out all of the sparkles that I couldn't get with my pinky. I'm sure there's a couple that didn't make it out, I'll be changing the oil again after I get home from work on Monday and have put a couple dozen miles on it.

The aftermath of the initial problem. I feel the need to keep them to remind me of the cost of failure or something.

All in all the new steel threads make me much more confident for future oil changes. I've also convinced myself to pay loving attention to the weak click of my torque wrench at the lower values.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 12, 2011

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Time-sert makes a good kit, but I'd also recommend looking into EZ-Lok's products, since they do not require proprietary bits / taps the way Recoil kits do (not sure if this is the case for Time-sert), only require a flat-head driver to set them in place, can be purchased in stainless steel and / or thin wall, and you could buy a cheap-er bit and tap, since you may only be using them once.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
That's a pretty nice alternative and I'll consider them in the future. I'm not sure if time-sert sells the inserts by themselves, but some of the bits were standard sizes (9/16" drill, M14x1.25 roll forming tap for the insert install tool). One thing I will say that I like about the time-serts over any others that I've seen is the fact that the insert is physically locked into the surrounding material by way of the installation tool threading the last couple threads inside and pushing the material outwards. It also ended up with a nice flush surface on the outside for the crush washer to seat against, almost as if none of this poo poo ever happened.

EZ-Lok is really close to me which would have been nice. Eh, hopefully its something I never have to worry about again!

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I bought it.

It's a 2007 Kawasaki EX650R

It's got a rebuilt title and was originally blue. I've got some tweaking, cleaning and minor fixes to do, but it appears very mechanically sound, and should be a lot of fun to ride around on. It's better than not having a bike, that's for drat sure.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I washed all the mud off it that the squirrel that lives in my garage got all over it. Also took the opportunity to wax it.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Korwen posted:

I bought it.

Congrats man!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

Got my thread repair insert kit a day or two ago and finally tackled it earlier.

I used something similar on my GS850 when one of the plug threads blew out.
http://www.amazon.com/Perma-Plug-1-25-Spark-Plug-Repair/dp/B0025PMJHA/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Threw on some anti-theft bolts for my Scotts damper, and installed my integrated taillight.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!
I sold it for $1000 more than I bought it for. Or at least did the deal. The transfer of ownership and bike will happen on Wednesday, when I will be one Ducati Supersport poorer and $6500 richer. I am completely unsure of what to get next. Prices are way high in Florida right now and there seems to be nothing but Harley clones and 600cc supersports in that price range. Right now, I'm leaning towards a Monster with the 1000DS in it or trying to find a 1050 Speed Triple. But I don't have any experience with either bike. I've still got the KTM Duke but the bastard fork seals are leaking like a sieve and I've been a little too intimidated to take the forks apart yet.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Did something funny the other day. Rode past a place where kids play football. A ball came bouncing down the road and a kid, 11 or 12, was running towards it. I swerved over to it and kicked it towards him while riding. I felt very cool and quite :buddy:

I was expecting the kid to be all WOW COOL but his face seemed say "stop messing with my ball you dick!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I was expecting the kid to be all WOW COOL but his face seemed say "stop messing with my ball you dick!".

Clearly, you need to kick the child next time instead. Road Rash taught me this.