Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Factory Factory posted:

I vaguely recall an amount equal to RAM size, but 2 GB should be enough. Most 2 GB cards might be too slow, however, since they're pretty cheap things.

Seeing as I have 4GB of RAM, and a good-brand 4GB card costs only $15 at a local shop, I'll go with that.

Thanks for the information :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Neat, thanks! SD cards are pretty affordable nowadays so I should probably pick one up. I assume "bigger is better," but what is the lowest effective capacity? Would 2GB be enough? How about 4GB?

Lots of SD cards are nowhere near fast enough for ReadyBoost.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mak0rz posted:

Seeing as I have 4GB of RAM, and a good-brand 4GB card costs only $15 at a local shop, I'll go with that.

Thanks for the information :)

I don't think you're likely to see any performance gains on a system with that much RAM.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

I'm trying to work out a way to get users to stop using links on their desktop to shared folders on the file server. What do you guys do?

What do you mean? Are users emailing each other shortcut files?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

Lots of SD cards are nowhere near fast enough for ReadyBoost.

Toast Museum posted:

I don't think you're likely to see any performance gains on a system with that much RAM.

Wish I knew that before I went out and bought the drat thing :doh:. Oh well, only out :10bux: and worst-case scenario I now have a 4GB SD card v:shobon:v

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Mak0rz posted:

Wish I knew that before I went out and bought the drat thing :doh:. Oh well, only out :10bux: and worst-case scenario I now have a 4GB SD card v:shobon:v

It'll help if you regularly fill up your RAM, as that will displace the RAM cache that Windows does. If the card is fast enough, ReadyBoost will also copy part of virtual memory to the card. But yeah, sorry for not mentioning this earlier, you probably need a Class 6 SD card or faster to get a decent benefit, besides running out of RAM.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Factory Factory posted:

Class 6 SD card

Well, it's that at least.

EDIT: So, what? ReadyBoost is just a quick and dirty RAM expansion?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 10, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Part virtual memory mirror, part program loading optimizer. The latter is partly redundant in Windows 7 because the Superfetch service will, after a while, defragment your programs in access order for loading, so that when you start them loading is significantly more sequential and thus faster on mechanical drives.

v:geno:v

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Factory Factory posted:

There's an "Always on top" option (somewhere, Googling is not super helpful here), but it doesn't give focus.

This looks promising: shell.appactivate("[window title]") in VBScript. Found it here.

This almost nearly does the trick, but it doesn't put the focus on the window. I'll dig around for some tweak that might do it but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

GreenNight posted:

What do you mean? Are users emailing each other shortcut files?

When users got a new folder created the help desk would add a shortcut to the location to a folder called "shortcuts." The shortcut to which was located on the desktop. So they clicked on a desktop shortcut called shortcuts which had shortcuts to all the shared folders on the file server.

:downs:

I am trying to stop the insanity. But I'm not sure of an easy way to train users on how to access a share without using shortcuts to shortcuts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's crazy. You might have to do it slowly. Like remove all shortcuts and replace them with shortcuts to drive letters.

Whatever way you choose, it's going to cause political bullshit.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

GreenNight posted:

That's crazy. You might have to do it slowly. Like remove all shortcuts and replace them with shortcuts to drive letters.

Whatever way you choose, it's going to cause political bullshit.

Thankfully it's coming down from on high to get rid of them. But I don't really know how to get rid of them without 10000000000000000000 years of user training.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well how do you want them to access these folders?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

If you have a Windows 7 desktop, see if Problem Steps Recorder would help. Search for psr.exe. It creates an html file of steps. Might be helping to walk through going to a mapped drive then just save it and send them the html file.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Well how do you want them to access these folders?

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. The suggestion, from a very savvy user was to show them how to browse a share via UNC. So \\fileserver\sharelist

I'm actually thinking of maybe deploying shortcuts in ie via GPO, which launches explorer.exe anyway but just to the file server.

So I'm kind of curious as to how other people have their users access shared folders.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

All of our network shares are mapped network drives. When they login a script runs and checks what active directory OU they are in and maps whatever drives (actually folders on the fileserver) they are supposed to have access to.

Pretty sure every university and every other place I've been is setup the same way. Or at least the end result is the same.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Honestly (maybe it's just me) the way you have it setup now doesn't seem too bad, as I understand it. Every user has a folder shortcut on their desktop, that opens to a centrally-managed directory of folder links they might need to use?

I guess it depends on how restricted their access is meant to be, if they have this bunch of shortcuts but really they need to know how to browse through all available shared directories then it would make sense to show them how to get around and how things are organised (although shortcuts still make sense!). I don't think there's really a need to resort to have them typing in obscure strings of characters to reach a share (from their perspective), why not just map them some drives?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

So I'm kind of curious as to how other people have their users access shared folders.

Back in the old days we had these "mapped drive" things.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

LooseChanj posted:

Back in the old days we had these "mapped drive" things.

I have a pretty low opinion of them to be honest. But both scenarios it seems rock and hard place. I'm not sure which is lesser of the two evils. We also have a bunch of external sites that are on crap for connection speed. So I don't know how that would impact login time/GPO processing.

Go go T1.

I am thinking being able to access it from their IE favorites may not be a bad thing. They know how to do that. But I don't know if that's just me imagining things.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Honestly (maybe it's just me) the way you have it setup now doesn't seem too bad, as I understand it. Every user has a folder shortcut on their desktop, that opens to a centrally-managed directory of folder links they might need to use?

I guess it depends on how restricted their access is meant to be, if they have this bunch of shortcuts but really they need to know how to browse through all available shared directories then it would make sense to show them how to get around and how things are organised (although shortcuts still make sense!). I don't think there's really a need to resort to have them typing in obscure strings of characters to reach a share (from their perspective), why not just map them some drives?

We have some really confidential information but having the shortcut to shortcuts with the folders listed shouldn't really be a big difference from browsing the UNC.

The mapped drive thing makes me suck through my teeth a little bit. I haven't had great experiences with them in the past with remote sites. But I am leaning that way.

SmellsOfFriendship fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 10, 2011

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Does any one have experience with OCR software and batch processing? If so could you point me to the right direction that'd be great. I'm trying to find the easiest and cheapest method to scan legal document pages using a multiple page scanner and convert them into an electronic format.

So far I have looked at:
CharacterEyes OCR Service
SimpleOCR
FreeOCR
Tesseract OCR

I'll be researching more but I was wondering if any fellow goons had any experience with OCR software and had any recommendations.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 10, 2011

elite burrito
May 9, 2010
I'm setting up some Win7 machines, and am a bit of a tard when it comes to windows. I have a couple of questions.

-Someone at a user group spoke about some kind of software that acted as a package manager or "app store" for open source stuff -- as such would allow you to get and install firefox, pidgin, etc all in one interface. I forgot the name of it. I have looked around and found win-get, but I don't think that's the same thing because I remember it having a trendy one-word name. Does anyone know what this application is>

-What is the best way to sync a specific directory across multiple systems? I cannot use internet-based services (one of the systems is behind a somewhat draconian proxy), and a lot of these systems are going to be DHCP and not on the same subnet. I think with these requirements I pretty much have to use something that synchronizes manually, but I'm wondering if you guys have a good recommendation.

-Is there any way to make cygwin not slow? Or an alternative that is not slow. It used to not be this slow, but the load time of any binary is substantial. Once it gets loaded and starts running, it seems to be fine though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

- https://www.ninite.com

- Windows Live Mesh maybe? Or SyncToy

- no idea!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

elite burrito posted:

-What is the best way to sync a specific directory across multiple systems? I cannot use internet-based services (one of the systems is behind a somewhat draconian proxy), and a lot of these systems are going to be DHCP and not on the same subnet. I think with these requirements I pretty much have to use something that synchronizes manually, but I'm wondering if you guys have a good recommendation.

Windows 7 comes with a tool call the Sync Center that is capable of syncing to network folders. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for (I have to use SyncToy because my external HDD isn't compatible with Sync Center), but it sounds about right.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Has any one used this

http://www.sandboxie.com/

or if not, rate it?

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

Jippa posted:

Has any one used this

http://www.sandboxie.com/

or if not, rate it?

I have it installed but haven't found much occasion to use it. It's a solid piece of software though. I've seen it recommended lots of places.

One use I came across recently is to install time-limited trial programs as many times as you want.

elite burrito
May 9, 2010

baka kaba posted:

- https://www.ninite.com

- Windows Live Mesh maybe? Or SyncToy

- no idea!

Yeah. It was definitely ninite.

SyncToy looks like it will be the most simple way to meet my needs.

Thanks all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, that's been going on forever now, but it finally started to bother me enough to ask:

This happens no matter how much space there's on either side. This happens with context menus in Explorer too, but not in Opera :confused:

Also, I once muted IE from the Mixer panel because some stupid side insisted on blasting lovely music in my face, but now every time I use IE (which is very rarely admittedly), it stays muted. Any ideas how to get this behavior to normal?

Rabid Snake posted:

OCR :words:

I've used FineReader previously with good results, though sine I usually had only a few pages at a time, I did it the the manual way. Still worth trying, I'm pretty sure they do have some batch processing facilities. You also don't mention OmniPage, but I have no experience with that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Woah what the hell? I clicked on my Start menu today to see this as my account picture:

Why is it semi-transparent, and why does it have a green checkmark? Here's what it's supposed to look like, as seen on the User Accounts page when I click it:

EDIT:... and now it's back to normal. Weird.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 12, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I updated VLC the other day, and now it won't deinterlace DVDs. Any idea why, or what I can do to fix it (roll back, yeah, but what else)?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I use PuTTY a lot, but the saved sessions situation is pretty poor. The window is tiny and not expandable. Is there a way of getting it larger, or managing them elsewhere? I have a shitload of servers I regularly have to connect to and I want to be able to browse them like bookmarks. I ask because I'm aware of different versions of PuTTY that add functionality - like PuTTYTray.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Anjow posted:

I use PuTTY a lot, but the saved sessions situation is pretty poor. The window is tiny and not expandable. Is there a way of getting it larger, or managing them elsewhere? I have a shitload of servers I regularly have to connect to and I want to be able to browse them like bookmarks. I ask because I'm aware of different versions of PuTTY that add functionality - like PuTTYTray.

Make shortcuts for each server and stick them in a folder? Like thus: putty.exe" -load "server"

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Anjow posted:

It's a bit overkill if you're just talking about PuTTY sessions, but mRemoteNG should be able to do what you want. I use it at work for RDP sessions, and I've got it set up so I have folders (and tabs, since it opens all your sessions in the same parent window) for different sites and all that.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

LooseChanj posted:

Make shortcuts for each server and stick them in a folder? Like thus: putty.exe" -load "server"

I did think of this, but it would be a huge amount of work to create them all so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I do use RDP a lot too. I'm gonna give mRemoteNG a go today, thanks.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Anjow posted:

I did think of this, but it would be a huge amount of work to create them all so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I do use RDP a lot too. I'm gonna give mRemoteNG a go today, thanks.

Also consider Remote Desktop Manager. It's an alternative to mRemoteNG if you don't like it for any reason.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Well in the course of today I've already turned at least 5 people onto mRemoteNG. The only two drawbacks I see are: no support for SSH keys that I've found, and you have to click the tab THEN the console in order to be able to type there. They are worth putting up with for all the benefits that it affords.

It's also cool because when new people start we can export the config either without passwords, or with passwords which they then won't know because they're hashed.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

So if I am going to be traveling at the end of the month for a couple weeks, is subsonic video streaming the best thing I can do? I have a WHS 2011 box that will be on.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

kri kri posted:

So if I am going to be traveling at the end of the month for a couple weeks, is subsonic video streaming the best thing I can do? I have a WHS 2011 box that will be on.

I haven't found anything I really like so far, but Plex Media Server isn't too bad.

edit: oops, I thought I was in the Android thread.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Does anyone know of the syntax to link people back to old appdata folder in GP?

I got a new domain controller up same domain name, username. But it makes a new appdata folder. I tried telling Group Policy to go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData, do I need to make it %localmachine%\Users\%username%\AppData ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baked
Apr 1, 2005

i took a little nap where the roots all twist; squished a rotten peach in my fist.

chizad posted:

It's a bit overkill if you're just talking about PuTTY sessions, but mRemoteNG should be able to do what you want. I use it at work for RDP sessions, and I've got it set up so I have folders (and tabs, since it opens all your sessions in the same parent window) for different sites and all that.

I was previously using Remote Desktop Connection Manager from Microsoft and just switched to mRemoteNG after reading your post. Thanks for the suggestion, it really is great being able to manage my rdp and putty sessions from the one window.