Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

Phat_Albert posted:

I really cant understand lusting after hugely expensive cars. I mean, I can understand it from a "hey thats a cool car" standpoint, but thats about it. I know guys who spend all their time reading about, watching videos of, and lusting after 6-digit cars that are exclusive, rare, and essentially unobtainable.

I, and millions of other bikers around the planet, have a bike that cost $10K or under, and can basically smoke anything you'll find on the street.

I understand that rolling around on my champagne colored 2000 Bandit 12 doesnt have nearly the wow-factor of owning any supercar, or high end sports car, but if you're truly interested in performance, bikes are like being able to buy a Lamborghini for pocket change.

I know I'm in the vast minority among the motoring world, and most people dont understand that view.

Sorry my $6,000 bike smoked your $200,000 car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's because supercars are very tangible, very visible status symbols. The motorcycle comes with some status baggage as well, basically everything that is bad with motorcycle culture comes out of someone trying to look cool on one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SaucyPants posted:

Sorry my $6,000 bike smoked your $200,000 car

Too bad you're sweating your balls off. :v:

I just don't see the point in comparing bikes to cars. That said, a 700hp car feels far faster than even an S1000RR to me. ( I've driven/ridden both :v: )

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BlackMK4 posted:

I just don't see the point in comparing bikes to cars. That said, a 700hp car feels far faster than even an S1000RR to me. ( I've driven/ridden both :v: )

At least I have balls :smug:

I guess the reason a really fast car feels really fast is that it leans the wrong way in corners, you get a lot more G-forces working in an unusual direction.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was mostly talking about straight line acceleration.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

BlackMK4 posted:

Uhmmm...you may not understand this, being a cager: when you go fast, you don't need AC. :smug:

I went riding with a new guy whose gear was a brain bucket, t-shirt, jeans and work boots. He kept going on about how he couldn't understand how I could wear all that stuff, while at the same time complaining about the sun baking him and the heat coming off his bike cooking him.

Huh, those are two feelings I've never experienced, and no matter how many times I tell him and others "it's vented" and "it's only hot sitting, once we're moving I'm comfortable" I get the feeling they think I'm full of poo poo and just putting a spin on it.

I'm really not, it's comfortable. I wore shorts under my overpants for the first time ever and the excess heat coming off the motor after a run up the revs surprised me at first.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
When it's 110* out and I am stuck in traffic being literarily burned by the tank through my riding pants... well... ;)

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

BlackMK4 posted:

stuck in traffic

Take the long way home.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I live half a mile off ASU campus, I'm hosed. :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Get a bike where "the road" suddenly becomes open to interpretation.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

nsaP posted:

Get a bike where "the road" suddenly becomes open to interpretation.

Road? Where we're going we don't need roads

Hops a curb goes down a flight of stairs and rides along the train tracks to the next intersection. On one wheel.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, but the scenery is worth it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jdonz posted:

Yeah, but the scenery is worth it.

:) :) :) Seriously. I live across the street from Four Peaks Brewery too. Alcohol isn't my 'DOC' but it's nice to be able to walk over and hang out.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

2ndclasscitizen posted:

you never know when your clutch cable will snap and gently caress you up.

Actually if you stay on top of your poo poo, they won't just snap out of the blue.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

BlackMK4 posted:

Have you tried walking instead?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

frozenphil posted:

Have you tried walking instead?

Walking 20mi to work? :v:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Walking 20mi to work? :v:

You said half a mile, dingus! :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's where he lives!

He was referring to traffic around home no matter what :eng101:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I work on a college campus and live a little over a mile from it so I just figured he was in the same situation.
I ride the bike to work cause the bitches love it. :clint:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
The other day my non-riding brother informed me that the Hyabusa with lots of chrome, a streched out swingarm and a giant rear tire is a good looking bike.

:psyboom:

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

Jay_Zombie posted:

The other day my non-riding brother informed me that the Hyabusa with lots of chrome, a streched out swingarm and a giant rear tire is a good looking bike.

:psyboom:

Anyone read the Pawn Stars biography? Rick talks about letting a guy put $10,000 down on a Hayabusa and then letting him come in after the bike cleared to pay the other $10,000. The guy died before he could come get it. My question is what Hayabusa is worth $20,000

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

SaucyPants posted:

Anyone read the Pawn Stars biography? Rick talks about letting a guy put $10,000 down on a Hayabusa and then letting him come in after the bike cleared to pay the other $10,000. The guy died before he could come get it. My question is what Hayabusa is worth $20,000

An unmolested one in 20 years

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SaucyPants posted:

:bam:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2457204532.html

quote:

2009 build 6 months 225 horse power velocity stage one turbo .
Heavy duty output shaft turbo pistons - twin fans .
Does not over heat .
Chrome moly studs 14" over swing arm bilet oil pan .
nitrus capability , street legal 656 mils on motor
P325 / 50/ r15 micky thomson tire.
Motor build by Dave Page Racing....
$21500 obo.
Please call ask for Kenny 513-429-6172
Call do not email ...

My craigslist has been killin' it recently.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

someone rides that on the street? the worst I ever get to see is a guy with those stupid mohawk helmets

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

SaucyPants posted:

someone rides that on the street? the worst I ever get to see is a guy with those stupid mohawk helmets

You don't live in the South, do you? That poo poo is tame compared to what I see around Birmingham.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Yeah, that bike screams LOOK AT ME! GIVE ME ATTENTION! MY MAMA DIDN'T LOVE ME!

This is the main reason I hate being in Austin during the ROT rally. I'm not a rider, but I think bikes are kickass (for the most part). I've been following this thread since the beginning and it sounds like you guys are a lot more level-headed than most bikers I meet. Sorry for the rant, carry on! :)

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

gnarlyhotep posted:

Yeah, that bike screams LOOK AT ME! GIVE ME ATTENTION! MY MAMA DIDN'T LOVE ME!

This is the main reason I hate being in Austin during the ROT rally. I'm not a rider, but I think bikes are kickass (for the most part). I've been following this thread since the beginning and it sounds like you guys are a lot more level-headed than most bikers I meet. Sorry for the rant, carry on! :)

I hate being in Austin during the ROT rally, too... and I am a rider! :cheers:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Spiffness posted:

An unmolested one in 20 years

they're the CRX of bikes

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I can see maybe a drag bike being worth 20K. Maybe. But nothing less than a super jacked legitimate drag bike should be that much. There's no way that the stoplight queens should go for that much.

On a side note. We have a Busa rider here, streched chromed everything, and wears a chrome German WWII novelty helmet. No other gear at all. He is called Das Busa. Sightings of him have been reported far and wide. But few have been able to capture this elusive beast on camera.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
:cop:: "We've been following you all the way from [street name one mile away], going a little over twice the posted speed limit."

I'm a super retard on a super motard (with no mirrors).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nidhg00670000 posted:

:cop:: "We've been following you all the way from [street name one mile away], going a little over twice the posted speed limit."

I'm a super retard on a super motard (with no mirrors).

Haha. This is pretty much my wife commuting. "It was a motorcycle cop, I thought he just wanted to keep up"

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

frozenphil posted:

You don't live in the South, do you? That poo poo is tame compared to what I see around Birmingham.

Seriously, that kind of bike is quite literally the norm around here:
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/2473130823.html

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

wow, if you see anything more than an undertail kit and flushmounts up here its considered " extensive customizing"

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ola posted:

It's because supercars are very tangible, very visible status symbols. The motorcycle comes with some status baggage as well, basically everything that is bad with motorcycle culture comes out of someone trying to look cool on one.

The main thing with supercars is that you can put on a tuxedo, get in alongside a woman in a dress, be at 180 mph 30 seconds later and come out unruffled. It doesn't matter if it's raining, freezing or 120 degrees out. Motorcycles just aren't as suitable for a lot of situations that normal(ish) people go through. There's also the fact that supercars costing a ton actually makes them status symbols. Bikes are a hell of a lot more cost efficient for the kinds of stuff supercars do, but it isn't the same in a lot of ways.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'll join the ninjette forums with a bit of humility toward the community, from my past local forum experiences. I still laugh at this though. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77973

The poor people are deluding themselves or simply haven't ridden a decent sized vtwin or I4. I love the bike but sorry, it's totally weak on the highway and I feel vulnerable the whole time.

I should mention I merged in a section at a speedo indicated 85 today like it was normal traffic to everyone around me, so that adds to the stress. 65 is the limit in a lot of highways around (although some it drops to 55), but it doesn't stop anyone from averaging over 70 and sometimes it's crazy. gently caress being stuck with 30 hp in 6th gear.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 5, 2011

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Did anyone see this article?

Helmetless motorcyclist killed in ride protesting helmet laws

quote:

A motorcyclist riding to protest upper New York's helmet laws was killed after flipping over the handlebars. Police say he would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

The description of the crash sounds like he didn't know how to control his bike, and what would be a minor accident for an ATGATT rider turned fatal. loving geniuses.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
The CNN article is better.

quote:

Contos hit his brakes, began fishtailing and lost control of his 1983 Harley Davidson. He shot over the handlebars, hit his head on the pavement and was taken to Upstate University Hospital in Syracuse, New York, where he was pronounced dead.

Sounds like he grabbed that treacherous front brake.

I'm not too sure about ABATE organizing a memorial for this guy. It seems like an example of everything you shouldn't do when it comes to motorcycling.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

Sounds like he grabbed that treacherous front brake.

I'm not too sure about ABATE organizing a memorial for this guy. It seems like an example of everything you shouldn't do when it comes to motorcycling.

I dunno, fishtailing sounds like what happens when you lock up the rear brake. I almost never use my rear brake for that exact reason; I've run off the track a few times due to fishtailing, and so I focus on front brake almost exclusively.

Either way, I think we can completely agree that he's a poster child for the kind of motorcyclist that we despise here in AI.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Pagan posted:

I dunno, fishtailing sounds like what happens when you lock up the rear brake. I almost never use my rear brake for that exact reason; I've run off the track a few times due to fishtailing, and so I focus on front brake almost exclusively.

Either way, I think we can completely agree that he's a poster child for the kind of motorcyclist that we despise here in AI.

There may have been some rear brake initially, but as soon as he looked at the front brake lever, over the bars he went!

E: on second thought the fishtailing was probably because he broke it loose romping on the throttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

It's one thing to die on on bike; this guy will forever be remembered as a dumb jackass. It's his legacy.

• Locked thread