Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slim Pickens posted:

What model was the Duc again? I'm drawing a blank.

Monster S4. Drop dead gorgeous, but just too much bike for me both monetarily and performance-wise. It's nice to be back to a simple, cheap, reliable Japanese bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I bought a spring hook tool and replaced the Vino's clutch springs without having to remove the clutch. Then I yanked off the variator only to find that the sliding V bushings I bought for it don't fit. Oh well, the stock ones look pretty good still.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I put the fourtythousandandfirst mile on my KLR!

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Sold my F2 today ! :( It wasn't running because I did't clean up my replacement carbs for it. but i'm 800$ richer now, time to shop for a literbike!

Great bike though i'm going to miss it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Took some pics and video of my (almost completed) LED tail light retro, which I posted about a few months ago I think. Just gotta build and convert the right side indicator.

Tail light

Brake light

Indicators, LED on left, normal on right.

Vid of the indicators in action (still doesn't really do the instant on/off of the LEDs justice, it was just shot with my iPhone):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH1cKFLW2rA&hd=1

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
stuck on some rimtape and adjusted the stearinghead bearings, came to realize the bearings need more tightening. Oh well, it's rainy now.

Edit: and the completely obscene oil consumption of the tdm has bitten me in the rear end and the big end bearing is making my exhaust note distinctly ... john deerean. I found out I can swap the engine with a revised one for free, but I'm not that mechanically competent yet to do it on my own. This little diddy is going to cost me. :(

karms fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 28, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Engine swaps aren't that bad...just take your time with it and you'll be fine!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Well I ALMOST got the heads on the Goldwing.

For some reason that thing just DID NOT want to go on there (right side).
All the tappet adjusters were backed out as much as possible, the sparkplugs were out, and the cam spun freely to a point but then refused to turn any further.

I wound up taking it off and starting over and it went on fine the second time.
Except, one of the bolts that holds the mechanical fuel pump on snapped.
It's really weird... it didn't get stuck in the head at all.

The bolt torqued and snapped before it reached the end of the threads and backed out with the rest of the bolt then just fell off. Headed to J.E. Rice now to try and find a replacement.

On a side note, I need to keep some acetone in the shower. Gasket sealant sticks better to leg hair than super glue does. I have a good sized bald spot on my shin now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Found a set of Bridgestone BT003 with one trackday on them for $75 and managed to get them mounted free at Cyclegear through a friend.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Today I paid someone else to professionally detail my ST while I was stuck indoors at work. It's been meticulously hand-washed, all the painted surfaces were waxed and buffed, color restoring UV protectant was put on all the faded black plastic trim pieces, the seat leather was cleaned and conditioned, and the exhaust pipes and mufflers were cleaned and polished.

Real nice guy, used to ride a GSX600 but sold his bike when he started his mobile detailing business since he didn't have much time to ride. Only charged me 80 bucks, too. It looks almost brand new, I can't wait to get off work and ride it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

Engine swaps aren't that bad...just take your time with it and you'll be fine!

I've done several!

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Yesterday I took my Yamaha DT175 to the WSP inspection center to get checked out. Then I went to the DOL and spent $162 :argh: to get it licensed with a 3 year registration. So now I can ride it on the street legally. :) pretty happy about it since I've had the bike for 4 months now.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Got a new handlebar half installed last night. It was too late to start lifting the tank before I decided I needed more slack on the throttle cables, so I will do that today.

I really should have washed the bike first. 1000+ miles worth of huge bugs. Yuck.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Changed the oil for the first time on the 'new' bike today. Benefit of buying bikes from old wealthy dudes: they baby their bikes/buy nice mods. Downside: they pay idiots to do the work on their bike for them.

Having to use a breaker bar to loosen the drain plug was a little surprising. :stare: Seeing what had to have been no more than 2 qts flow out of a 3qt engine was more surprising :stare:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Seems I dont know how to adjust my chain.
A week ago i noticed my chain was slack, so i put her up on the centrestand and went about learning how to adjust the chain and lube it.

skip forward to tuesday, i notice the chain is loose again, upon closer inspection all the teeth on my sprocket are now half height, snapped off. :stare:

New chain, sprockets and handlebars yesterday.
Also got new grips and drop ends.
The handlebars are very wide compared to the ones i bought it with. Which makes all the controls in weird places that Im not used to now. The clutch comes in to just above the grip and everything feels off. But its so easy to corner now.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bars, grips installed. Its subtly lower and wider but it makes a big difference. I also tweaked the lever positions to be a tough higher and it's pretty much perfect.

Tomorrow, it gets a bath and new rear turn signals to accommodate the Harley saddlebags.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Probably adjusted too tight, actually.

The trick is, after you get it on the centerstand, you have to weigh it down and compress the suspension. If you adjust it to "proper" tightness with the suspension extended, then compress it during a bump, you can snap your chain or break sprocket teeth.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
As a general guideline, too loose is better than too tight. Too tight and best case you'll prematurely wear out your chain and sprockets. Worst case you'll destroy them. That's not to say that your chain should be loose enough to jump teeth -- that will cause damage too. But it's okay to have a decent amount of play in it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My judge for too tight is it looking like a bow string, needs a little slack. Too loose and you start noticing it have a noticeable lag or thunk when you get on the throttle from it needing to take up slack in the chain.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Put the fcr39mx in my drz..

By far the most mechanically involved anything I've ever attempted, I'm the engineer that everyone in the shop laughs at due to ineptitude with a wrench in hand (but I could do a fine FEA model of said wrench).

Went relatively well, learned a ton about my bike trying to take it apart and put it all back together. Install went smoothly although it was a hell of a time getting the boots in place.

The real fun came when it was time to start the bike at the end. Prime, start, rough idle... set petcock to 'on' and it dies, touch throttle at all and it dies. After hours of angry troubleshoot and shouting at the gods of jetting and vacuum leaks I gave my hose routing a second look.

For those unfamiliar the carb comes in a lovely box with 5 opaque hoses - 4 vent lines and 1 drain line. In the stock carb there's a vacuum line that connects to the petcock but with the FCR the carb is bypassed and a vacuum nipple is installed. I, like an utter retard thought one of the vent lines was the vacuum line (which is stupid since it was in no way even near the petcock) and plugged it in to vacuum nipple. As a result whenever you gave it any throttle, from the looks of it (you could see it through the tubing) the vacuum sucked air/fuel out of the carb and the bike died. Genius

Grabbed the old vacuum hose off the stock carb, trimmed it down, popped it in place and good to go. This thing is absolutely awesome, I love the whistle when you open it up. Now I just need to sort out the popping on deceleration, I seriously regret not getting the extended fuel screw.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Some popping on decel is completely normal with a bike in good tune. Though if its the stock exhaust and you hear a lot, you might have a problem.

I got flames out of my DRZ ;)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Niven posted:

Now I just need to sort out the popping on deceleration, I seriously regret not getting the extended fuel screw.

My Bandit pops like a motherfucker on deceleration, the completely uncorked carbon slipon makes it much more obvious than with the stock exhaust. The mixture is spot-on, the plugs are fine, carbs are synced. It just likes to pop v:shobon:v

Try flicking the killswitch off for a second while engine braking and then back on again. Should give you a healthy livestock-frightening bang :)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Try flicking the killswitch off for a second while engine braking and then back on again. Should give you a healthy livestock-frightening bang :)

Required viewing if you're thinking about doing that; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlXVCVMr_pk

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
So I replaced my rear tire and rotated the handlebars down on my 650 today to give it a bit more aggressive riding position.

Went from a Bridgestone BT-023 rear to a pilot power and I have to say the difference is phenomenal.

The pilot powers whether they're a true triangular profile or not they definitely feel like they want to dive into the corners far beyond that of just having a new rear that isn't flat spotted on the bike.

I originally set out just to break them in and get a feel but my lack of self control caused me to ruin my best pair of jeans and wear down the knee pucks on my leg armor to a nice flat spot. What started out as a 70 mile break in and holiday weekend ride turned into a 6 hour, 210 mile, twisty day of ecstasy. I'm tired, I'm sore, and I fell in love with my bike and motorcycling all over again.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I tipped the Vino over in an attempt to drill out the broken exhaust bolt, only to find that the kickstand mount gets in the way of any form of drill. So that means I'm going to have to pull off the cylinder head. Lovely.

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?
Laid a plank over it :rimshot:

e: the kickstand was a 'just in case' thing, it isn't actually on the ground. and my tail plastic is crooked, don't mind it...

Persh fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 2, 2011

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Persh posted:

Laid a plank over it :rimshot:

e: the kickstand was a 'just in case' thing, it isn't actually on the ground. and my tail plastic is crooked, don't mind it...
http://5secondfilms.com/watch/planking/

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Got hit by my friend... I posted this on another forum asking what I should do...

So today my buddy meets me at my place and we're heading towards a gas station in a few towns over to meet up with other friends. Not a mile from my house we go to an intersection, I signal to turn right (I'm pretty sure, he claims he didn't see it), start turning right and he hits me, thinking we're going straight. We both dump our bikes, damage isn't too bad overall. So I'm pretty sure this accident is his legally completely his fault. Cost to fix up my bike which was pretty ugly and beat up as it is won't be more than $500 or so. I need a new right side rear set and brake lever, exhaust, right turn signal and some how the left side of my tank got dented. His bike isn't too bad, 06ish ZX6R, right fairing is scratched, broken right side foot peg, tank scraped, nose fairing near where it connects to the right side fairing is broken.

So options are:
1) Just call it the cost of riding, we both fix our own bikes
2) Get him to pay to fix my bike, don't need it to be pretty and I was going to repaint the fairings again myself anyway, they're painted with plastidip which transparently just rubs off anyway. So again <$500 worth of crap
3) Go through insurance, assuming he is completely at fault. They'd probably total my bike, I could buy it back to be a track bike and get something newer. I also have a bunch of extra parts I could sell off.

I should mention that only carry liability so if it were to be deemed 50/50 I'd get nothing out of this. Anyway, I'd feel bad if I claimed against my friend and his premiums went up a lot but let me know what you think. Pics of damage below, you can see on both sides where paint has rubbed off due my legs touching the fairings, that's not damage. I know the pics aren't great but really the damage isn't that bad and it's hard to see on the plastidip paint.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Honestly I think it all depends on your financial situation. is 600 bucks something you can afford to spend on your bike? IF it is and it wouldn't seriously hurt your wallet I'd say just pay for it. Nothing sinks friendships like money, but you need to do whats best for you.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

You both got thwacked, so it's a wash. Keep the insurance a-holes out of it, they'll only find a way to gouge you both eventually.

The exception here would be if your damage went structural and not just cosmetic--which you should really determine for sure. Even the most innocuous drops can tweak things enough to introduce handling issues that may not be immediately apparent.

Five minutes of remedial hand signal review, then crack a brew.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Got hit by my friend... I posted this on another forum asking what I should do...

So today my buddy meets me at my place and we're heading towards a gas station in a few towns over to meet up with other friends. Not a mile from my house we go to an intersection, I signal to turn right (I'm pretty sure, he claims he didn't see it), start turning right and he hits me, thinking we're going straight. We both dump our bikes, damage isn't too bad overall. So I'm pretty sure this accident is his legally completely his fault. Cost to fix up my bike which was pretty ugly and beat up as it is won't be more than $500 or so. I need a new right side rear set and brake lever, exhaust, right turn signal and some how the left side of my tank got dented. His bike isn't too bad, 06ish ZX6R, right fairing is scratched, broken right side foot peg, tank scraped, nose fairing near where it connects to the right side fairing is broken.

So options are:
2) Get him to pay to fix my bike, don't need it to be pretty and I was going to repaint the fairings again myself anyway, they're painted with plastidip which transparently just rubs off anyway. So again <$500 worth of crap
3) Go through insurance, assuming he is completely at fault. They'd probably total my bike, I could buy it back to be a track bike and get something newer. I also have a bunch of extra parts I could sell off.

I should mention that only carry liability so if it were to be deemed 50/50 I'd get nothing out of this. Anyway, I'd feel bad if I claimed against my friend and his premiums went up a lot but let me know what you think. Pics of damage below, you can see on both sides where paint has rubbed off due my legs touching the fairings, that's not damage. I know the pics aren't great but really the damage isn't that bad and it's hard to see on the plastidip paint.

Sounds like you both came out about even in terms of damage. I wouldn't ask him to pay for the damage. Stuff like that happens.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
He rear ended you like a dumbass, if he's got any decency you wouldn't be asking because he'd be paying you for the damage caused by his idiocy.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yeah, I'd be having him figure out how he's going to pay for the damage he caused. He hit you in the rear, so even if it went to insurance it's >90% chance he's at total fault.

I'd leave it to him to decide insurance or pay out of pocket. There is no reason you should be paying for someone else making a mistake.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Clean/lube/adjust chain tension. Two hours.

At some point, someone monkeyed with the chain tensioner locknuts. There's a 12mm washer-head on one side, and a 13mm with separate stainless washer on the other side. The 12mm was seized pretty well; I rounded it off with a crescent wrench and ended up having to remove the rear axle to get a 6-point socket on it to get it loose.

I'm 1/2 adjustment mark from the end of the swingarm; I may go with that sprocket swap to move the wheel forward.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Today I... took it off the stands and started walking it out of the garage only to trip over the loving rear stand and drop the bike.

The rear stand gouged/cracked the left fairing, the ground scuffed the poo poo out of the right fairing, took out my front brake lever, and shoved my M4 GP into the swingarm denting it (the swingarm).

gently caress.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 3, 2011

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Today I... took it off the stands and started walking it out of the garage only to trip over the loving rear stand and drop the bike.

The rear stand gouged/cracked the left fairing, the ground scuffed the poo poo out of the right fairing, took out my front brake lever, and shoved my M4 GP into the swingarm denting it (the swingarm).

gently caress.

Ouch. Is it going to be expensive? Good time to learn how to fibreglass I guess

I FINALLY got round to setting up my suspension correctly. It's made a world of difference, I no longer bounce all over the place when I go over a bump and it feels more solid in the corners. I got a bit carried away and was almost dragging knee today, until I remembered that I don't have knee pucks!

I had been to afraid of messing it up and reading about all the different variables with preload, rebound and compression had made my head spin. It wasn't too hard in the end so I'm glad I finally man'd up and sorted it out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Forty Two posted:

If I didn't mind the insurance jump then $1000 deductable later + buyback value and I'd have a loving awesome track bike. Seriously. :v:

I picked up a brake lever from a local guy last night for $25 and I am back to riding.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 4, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Forty Two posted:

Time to grab a nugget from the tiny corner of my brain where repair knowledge lies: It is probably ABS plastic, which means that fibreglass isn't the way to go for repairs (it is not flexible enough). Easiest to do is with MEK and scrap ABS. Scruff the tear up, put on MEK/ABS paste in tiny layers.

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009
I put new tires on my bike, washed it and then signed up for my first track day.

It was my first time changing tires. The rear took me ~5 hours by the time I'd figured out how to break the bead, get the stupid thing off the rim and seat the new bead. It didn't help that the axle required serious persuasion a mallet to remove and the bead wouldn't seat. To seat the bead I ended up tightening a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire and then seating it. Fortunately the front was a lot easier, I had it off the bike, changed, balanced and back on the bike in just over an hour.

(Sorry for the lovely cell phone pic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It gets faster. The first time is always a birch changing tires :)