Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Hell Diver posted:

I actually thought he was one of the easiest bosses. I figured out his attack patterns really quickly and he never even hit me. I was able to stick and move and just avoid everything he threw at me. I had more of a problem with Maneater (once the second shows up) or Flamelurker.

I finally decided to start a pure magic build (since I've always played melee) and I realize that the game is just so routine for me now that I'm not really enjoying it quite as much. I still fondly remember being on the edge of my seat each time I stepped through a boss gate. I can't wait to get that feeling back in Dark Souls.

You'll get it back if you go on to ngp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

redreader posted:

You'll get it back if you go on to ngp.

I've nearly beaten a NGP playthrough with my melee character, too. I have a couple bosses left and that's it. I plowed through the Valley of Defilement without batting an eye really. Once you figure the patterns and everything, it's basically just getting cheap-shotted that remains a threat (like Giant Depraved Ones in the swamp). I still love the game, but it can't recapture that "Oh poo poo, oh poo poo, oh poo poo" feeling I got back when I had no idea what would be behind the next door.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Hell Diver posted:

I've nearly beaten a NGP playthrough with my melee character, too. I have a couple bosses left and that's it. I plowed through the Valley of Defilement without batting an eye really. Once you figure the patterns and everything, it's basically just getting cheap-shotted that remains a threat (like Giant Depraved Ones in the swamp). I still love the game, but it can't recapture that "Oh poo poo, oh poo poo, oh poo poo" feeling I got back when I had no idea what would be behind the next door.

Maybe my ngp playthrough was just so drat hard and scary because I waited about a year and a half between playthroughs. I had to stop playing a few times because it was too loving hard.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
I've just about given up on melee in PvP. I don't know if it's lag or what but every fight I get into I end up getting backstabbed from the front. I don't have a terrible connection so I'm not sure why it's happening but it's frustrating as hell when I designed my guy to be a turtle and I just get reamed by anyone in melee range.

I'm going to stick to my mage and grief people with firestorm from around corners!

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

G.I. Jaw posted:

I don't have a terrible connection so I'm not sure why it's happening but it's frustrating as hell when I designed my guy to be a turtle and I just get reamed by anyone in melee range.

You're trying to turtle, that's the problem. Try a more aggressive melee build, like a faith build with a claymore, a great axe or a mirdan hammer. Or, even a strength build, DBS or claymore, or mirdan. Turtling really isn't a strategy that's used a lot in PvP, mostly because it doesn't work; shields are either easily broken through, or they don't block all damage.

edit: Your avatar is gross.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

G.I. Jaw posted:

I've just about given up on melee in PvP. I don't know if it's lag or what but every fight I get into I end up getting backstabbed from the front. I don't have a terrible connection so I'm not sure why it's happening but it's frustrating as hell when I designed my guy to be a turtle and I just get reamed by anyone in melee range.

I'm going to stick to my mage and grief people with firestorm from around corners!

Sounds like you are using a weapon that is easily parried. They block your strike and stab you through the from. Also the other guy is right: don't turtle, turtling sucks in this game.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

turtling owns if they're firing magic and poo poo at you. Wait for that lookin-at-the-talisman-what-the-heck animation. that's how I won my 8th most recent monk's head collar

So there's nobody out there w/ a dude who can ferry things across from 98 to 88 on the US servers? who maybe wants to soul suck the crap out of 98 afterwards? no gay stuff, maybe j/o a little

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I'm in your range but I'd have to get to Yuria first for Soulsuck itself.

So all I have to do is beat Armour Spider, Flamelurker and Tower Knight and I'll be able to.

... It might take a while on those first two.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I'm in your range but I'm on the Asian server. I guess most importers have quit by now..

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Satanos posted:

So all I have to do is beat Armour Spider, Flamelurker and Tower Knight and I'll be able to.

Armor spider: stick to the left in the tunnel and use a bow. Nothing apart from webs can hit you.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Man I wish there were more easy ways to raise world tendency. I'm staring at the dragon bone smasher and I need another single tick towards white to get it, but I already killed all the bosses. There doesn't seem like another way I can whiten the world until NG+. Bleh, I wanted my sword. I found out too late about the whole "kill yourself in the nexus so you don't darken the world when you die in body form" trick.

This world tendecy crap sucks. I wouldn't mind it if it were a little easier to white the worlds. It's no like there's a huge amount of content or anything hiding behind the WT stuff, but man if they didn't make it a bitch to do the few things there are. Lowering it is easy I guess...just die. But whitening, Christ help you if you die once in body form...

Anyway, anyone have an idea to white the WT in chapter 2 without waiting for NG+? I want my giant sword. I guess there's the whole pure black the world then glitch on the primeval demons business, but that sounds like a pain in the rear end. Plus I would have to do it 3 times in a row without leaving the world, and I don't know how likely it is to find a player 3 times on world 2-1 these days, I've never played with others in the first place.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Primeval demon glitch is your only option.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Satanos posted:

well do you want any help you dumb goon? :D
does the fog obstruct you on ng+? Why do you need to kill flamelurker to learn soulsuck there's nothing about 2-2 that unlocks yuria?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Krinkle posted:

well do you want any help you dumb goon? :D
does the fog obstruct you on ng+? Why do you need to kill flamelurker to learn soulsuck there's nothing about 2-2 that unlocks yuria?

on NG you need to beat some arch-demon, like the dragon god (easy enough to not need to be mentioned) to get into 1-3.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

redreader posted:

on NG you need to beat some arch-demon, like the dragon god (easy enough to not need to be mentioned) to get into 1-3.

yeah but I just assumed someone 88-98 would have beaten *an* arch-demon by now?? so if he's on NG+ why does he need to kill flamelurker, and if he's not, I don't know what to think about how much grinding through 4-2 that would take...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Krinkle posted:

yeah but I just assumed someone 88-98 would have beaten *an* arch-demon by now?? so if he's on NG+ why does he need to kill flamelurker, and if he's not, I don't know what to think about how much grinding through 4-2 that would take...

Grinding 4-2 is not as good as going to 4-3 with 2 or 3 avarice items, a good projectile weapon and just going on a rampage.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Bobnumerotres posted:

Grinding 4-2 is not as good as going to 4-3 with 2 or 3 avarice items, a good projectile weapon and just going on a rampage.

how are you going to get out of 4-3 with those souls without killing an archfiend, mister smart guy!?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Krinkle posted:

how are you going to get out of 4-3 with those souls without killing an archfiend, mister smart guy!?

With luck!

falcor.jpg

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Krinkle posted:

I thought there were only 2 avarice items: ring, and bracelets (female only)

is it just me or is female better for demons souls? I'm totally going to be a female for dark souls for my first playthrough.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Evacuate or an archstone shard.

redreader posted:

is it just me or is female better for demons souls? I'm totally going to be a female for dark souls for my first playthrough.

There's also Soul Thirst. It's a spell and not an item but it still stacks with the others.

Edit: Huh. I didn't know that about the Gold Mask.

Koops fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 10, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Koops posted:

Evacuate or an archstone shard.

There's also Soul Thirst. It's a spell and not an item but it still stacks with the others.

On top of gold mask.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

redreader posted:

If you use heavy weapons the girls have better light armor. If you use light weapons males have stronger armor to fill up your spare endurance. Everything else is pretty much the same, and armor doesn't matter that much anyway.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you use heavy weapons the girls have better light armor. If you use light weapons males have stronger armor to fill up your spare endurance. Everything else is pretty much the same, and armor doesn't matter that much anyway.

Excuse me, how I look when I'm slicing up people with my Meat Cleaver definitely matters. :colbert:

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Gold Mask, Dull Gold Chest, Silver Bracelets, Gloom Legs.

Stylin' and profilin' (and somehow multiplying souls, I have no idea how that works from a plot perspective).

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

why is everyone saying gold mask. gold mask does nothing, right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

why is everyone saying gold mask. gold mask does nothing, right?
It's got pretty drat high armor specs for something that light.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's got pretty drat high armor specs for something that light.

Huh? It has pretty terrible armor ratings -- the Wiki says 2/2/2/2 for 0.6 weight units whereas the head piece from the black leather set (Assassin's Mask) is 10/10/10/10 for 0.5. It does have good bleed, poison and plague protection but that stuff doesn't matter much except for specific instances in the game where there are pretty much always better single options than it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't provide any bonus to the souls you gain by wearing it but I never checked but maybe I'm wrong. I thought people just wore it because it looks snazzy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh yeah, that's what I meant, resistances.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Strip off naked

50 Faith

40 Endurance

+5 Mirdan Hammer

+5 Adjudicator on your back

And you're done.

Headgear is irrelevant. It isn't ragnarok online. Just wear the minister's cap, all the cool kids are doing it these days.

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007
Holy god drat. Trying to beat the False King for like the 7th time. Had a nice strategy going where I was barely taking damage and doing about 300 damage to him every time he was vulnerable. Got him down to one more hit and I would win. Then he did some attack that I rolled to avoid but I guess I still got hit and died. I was pretty shocked.

Every arch demon so far has been pretty easy but this guy for me has the been the most challenging boss.

This my first play through of this game and I am loving it.

Well 9th times the charm..

AuntJemima fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 11, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

AuntJemima posted:

Holy god drat. Trying to beat the False King for like the 7th time. Had a nice strategy going where I was barely taking damage and doing about 300 damage to him every time he was vulnerable. Got him down to one more hit and I would win. Then he did some attack that I rolled to avoid but I guess I still got hit and died. I was pretty shocked.

Every arch demon so far has been pretty easy but this guy for me has the been the most challenging boss.

This my first play through of this game and I am loving it.

He's pretty tough! You'll get him sooner or later, just don't do what I always do and try to change things up when I've already got a good thing going.

Did you fight Old King Doran yet? So many kings to kill for a Japanese game.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I managed to completely avoid the False King by just staying at mid to long-range and constantly dodging to the right to avoid his attacks, then I'd rush in get 1-3 hits on him (I was using a Blessed Mirdan Hammer) and immediately roll directly backward and start the whole process over again. Obviously it's going to be harder with a sword or shorter range weapon, so maybe just use your R2 piercing stab and then get back out of there.

At range his attacks are really easy to avoid, just don't get greedy and rush in for too much punishment. The only time he managed to do anything to me in a fight was soulsuck me because I got greedy on a combo. He never landed a single actual blow though, so just keep him at range and keep moving to the side/away.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Sheep-Goats posted:

Did you fight Old King Doran yet? So many kings to kill for a Japanese game.

Makes a change from all the numerous universe eating Gods of other games

I'm thinking about getting back into this again soonish, I left off with world 2 and 4 complete and stuck in the maneater battle, which I kept losing on account of being a dodge character and falling off the stage a lot. Can you bring blue phantoms into boss battles?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Makes a change from all the numerous universe eating Gods of other games

I'm thinking about getting back into this again soonish, I left off with world 2 and 4 complete and stuck in the maneater battle, which I kept losing on account of being a dodge character and falling off the stage a lot. Can you bring blue phantoms into boss battles?

Yup, that's actually the main purpose of summoning them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Lots of people clear out the whole stage first and THEN summon a blue phantom to help them with the boss. There are just fewer things that can go wrong that way.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

It means you won't be hassled by Black Phantoms at the very least.

Well, on the assumption that you're Ephemeral Eyesing after getting to the Boss gate.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Satanos posted:

It means you won't be hassled by Black Phantoms at the very least.

Well, on the assumption that you're Ephemeral Eyesing after getting to the Boss gate.

It's more just a hassle with how blue phantoms behave. They're usually really reckless as they're trying to stay ahead of the host to protect him, but the host doesn't want to feel like he's not a part of the party so he continually is trying to catch up and you end up sprinting haphazardly through the level. If you summon a blue phantom at the beginning there's a good chance either he or you won't make it through to the boss.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I tried taking a blue phantom with me to beat Allant on one of my attempts and the poor bastard got killed instantly.

Started a new character last night and went with a barbarian this time, currently running about 2-hand wielding the Bastard Sword and not running into much trouble, not sure where to put my stats. I want to focus on a melee/dodging character this time.

I still have my old NG+, but I didn't put many points into health on my original run and it's left me kinda hosed on my second run. The Flamelurker keeps making mincemeat of me :(. And every failed attempt means I need to run 1-1 over and over for health, which is boooooring.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Leyburn posted:

I tried taking a blue phantom with me to beat Allant on one of my attempts and the poor bastard got killed instantly.

Started a new character last night and went with a barbarian this time, currently running about 2-hand wielding the Bastard Sword and not running into much trouble, not sure where to put my stats. I want to focus on a melee/dodging character this time.

I still have my old NG+, but I didn't put many points into health on my original run and it's left me kinda hosed on my second run. The Flamelurker keeps making mincemeat of me :(. And every failed attempt means I need to run 1-1 over and over for health, which is boooooring.

Vitality to take some hits, endurance for the stamina bar, some dex for a bow? and dex or str for hitting hard. Not sure what you should raise first though. Also maybe invest in some magic/int, enough to be able to cast warding at least which is the most useful spell in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Every character wants at least:
V **
W 18
E **
S **
D **
M **
F 16
L Base

18 will gives you 100 mana which is enough to cast all the cool spells. It also happens to give you three magic slots which is enough to memorize the the cool spells (firestorm when you want it, curse or light weapon if you're melee, soulsucker for grinding, etc). 16 Faith gives you two miracle slots which is enough for Second Chance (for pvp) or Warding (for pvm) or Anti-Magic filed (for 3-1 and 3-2).

You don't want to put points into luck. Even if you plan to use the Blueblood Sword (the only weapon in the game that benefits from luck) it would be better to put those points into magic for a stronger Light Weapon buff plus other benefits. Increasing your luck just ends up washing out rare items with high volumes of crap items and so is counterproductive at even what it's supposed to help with.

Every character will want to pick one main damage dealing stat. These stats are strength, dexterity, magic and faith. Strength and dex both have a large variety of weapons to pick between if you specialize in them and they have weapon improvements that can also be buffed, making them the biggest damage dealers. Magic allows you to also have strong spells which can be quite handy. Faith is the all-around stat as it provides strong magic defense, its weapons do magic damage which means you rarely have to switch weapon types out for different sorts of monsters, and the weapons provide some minor HP regeneration which is nice. Most characters will really want at least 40 vitality (I have a mage with 35 though) and most melee characters will want exactly 40 endurance because that's max stamina and stamina and hp is everything in tough fights. Mages even usually want 20 endurance or so for rolling and a few characters can get by with 30 endurance but in general having 40 endurance plus a fatty health bar is a good way to go.

Once you pick your damage stat you then look over the weapons available for its upgrade (Crushing for Strength, Sharp for Dex, Crescent and Moon for Magic, and Blessed for Faith) and pick out a weapon you want to use. Make a note of its minimum requirements.

When I start the game I first get Vitality to 20, then get the stats I need to use my weapon, then Endurance to 20, then enough Will and Faith to use the spells I want, then my damage stat to 30. Then Vitality to 30, then Edurance to 30. Stats all have diminishing rewards, so don't take anything that's useful to you above 40 until everything else is already at 40, and even your damage dealing stat should never really go over 50 for the sake of literally anything else that's useful.

raton fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 11, 2011

• Locked thread