Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
a book about zombies and a video game

compare it to an anime for the goonery trifecta

haveblue fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

haveblue posted:

a book about zombies and a video game

compare it to an anime for the goonery trifecta

the first two can be relatable to goons but aren't directly relatable :dogout:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
seriously
you guys read a lot of fiction
please break down your day. like how many hours you spend a week reading fiction? where do you find time?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i had the good sense to read all the good sci fi when i was prepubescent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

i had the good sense to read all the good sci fi when i was prepubescent

gently caress you prepubescency i hope it was followed by at least 3 years of not playing "ill show you mine" and then youre chatting on the internet and talking about touching another dudes dick

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

gently caress you prepubescency i hope it was followed by at least 3 years of not playing "ill show you mine" and then youre chatting on the internet and talking about touching another dudes dick

wtf kind of posting is this echinosis

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
hey

echidna penis

here's a secret for ya

some people can read fast

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

wtf kind of posting is this echinosis

gently caress man what is yospos? i've been thinking about it lately. is it really just cell phones and in between chat? can people have a good time or is poo poo shot down immediately if the crap-crew deem it poo poo-on-able? i know im not a good poster but god drat if this place doesn't regress into angry-sperg syndrome when a few of the pivotal posters aren't around.. who cares its me just noisin'

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
this is yospos

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

this is yospos

replace "clock" with "yostop" and it all makes sense.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

echinopsis posted:

seriously
please break down your day. like how many hours you spend a week reading fiction? where do you find time?

i read for about an hour before falling asleep each night, and maybe 2-3 more hours spread throughout the week. i read pretty fast though.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

also, i don't watch a lot of tv, so that frees up quite a bit of time.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mr_jim posted:

i read for about an hour before falling asleep each night, and maybe 2-3 more hours spread throughout the week. i read pretty fast though.

what you read> what you read on?

biggest problem with ipad is distraction from itnernet with reading

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

echinopsis posted:

what you read> what you read on?

biggest problem with ipad is distraction from itnernet with reading

uh, usually paperbacks.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fess up brother raet youre last 5 books

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the runelords series had a neat concept that was kinda allegorical to modern society i.e. it takes like a thousand poors to support the existence of of one rich dude, but the writer gave up on that idea cause GOTTA EXPLAIN loving GIANT BUGS GONNA DESTROY HUMANS in about a billion words. welp that's my sci-fi/fantasy books started out cool but ended up dumb story

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Read a real book fucktard, not a loving ebook on a shitpad.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

Read a real book fucktard, not a loving ebook on a shitpad.

jeez man if you can handle it a book is a book regardless of medium. ive enjoyed much over the ipad life

accept the future or reject it. dont half rear end it

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

im tempted to pick up a kindle I'm just not sure how different it will be to use and read than books/manuals in all the little ways you don't think about.
sections you go to often it opens up easily to and such

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
enders game owns and xenocide is even better

unfortunately the pattern enders there

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

echinopsis posted:

seriously

90 min total commute a day + audiobooks.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

poty posted:

enders game owns and xenocide is even better

unfortunately the pattern enders there

apathy owns too

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Coffee Quack posted:

im tempted to pick up a kindle I'm just not sure how different it will be to use and read than books/manuals in all the little ways you don't think about.

There are advantages and disadvantages, same as any different format. Text search, built in dictionary and portable library are the obvious advantages, are are totally worth it. It won't completely stop you from reading normal books.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Brace posted:

you don't know what world war z is ? lol

or fallout?

World War Z is loving garbage. How the gently caress anybody thinks this is anything approaching a good book is beyond me. I read it based on goon recommendations (mistake one) and I regret every second spent on it.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

i like post apocalyptic novels and all, but i don't know what's with all these zombie books coming out in the last few years.

who the gently caress is buying these?

christ, there's a website: http://www.zombiebooklist.com/

e: World War Z apparently has good reviews, but i just don't get the appeal.

mr_jim fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 19, 2011

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"zombie apocalypse" trash is just survivalist poo poo for nerds

it's a fun, childish kind of disaster for them to think about because:

- it won't actually ever happen
- the zombies are dehumanized, so there's no guilt or trauma about the thought of having to kill them to survive
- the zombies lack human intelligence, meaning they won't be shooting back at you with guns or grenades
- the zombies typically have magical properties that make melee weapons (swords) much more useful than they would be against humans
- unlike a nuclear war, there will be no radioactive fallout to inflict radiation poisoning or contaminate food and water supplies
- unlike a nuclear war, massive earthquake, or meteor strike, their house/"zombie survival outpost whatever" won't be randomly struck down despite their best preparations
- unlike any other disaster, they won't be competing with everyone else in the city for basic necessities like food and medicine, because most of them will be dead/undead that don't consume these things and can be killed without conscience, and most homes and businesses can be freely looted because the owners will be dead/undead

and of course the big one:
- it won't actually ever happen

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Coffee Quack posted:

i find that the kindle is really awesome for reading fiction and other stuff that you generally just read straight through. as far as manuals and computer reference books and stuff like that, i still prefer hardcopies, although it's not difficult to set bookmarks in the kindle for stuff that you page back to frequently. it's definitely way more pleasurable for me to read the kindle than a cheap paperback, though.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

golgo13sf posted:

World War Z is loving garbage. How the gently caress anybody thinks this is anything approaching a good book is beyond me. I read it based on goon recommendations (mistake one) and I regret every second spent on it.

world war Z is ok, it's not groundbreaking or anything but it's not bad compare to the dreck posted by mr_jim.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

haveblue posted:

the last chapter is loving fantastic and imma go read it right now
Knock the dust of Yospos from your sandals :twisted:

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
when i took the bus twice a day i got a poo poo ton more reading done than i do now, these days i read for maybe an hour a day if that. although the other weekend i got like 4-5 hours of reading in cause the book was decent and i made the time for it.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kirk posted:

when i took the bus twice a day i got a poo poo ton more reading done than i do now, these days i read for maybe an hour a day if that. although the other weekend i got like 4-5 hours of reading in cause the book was decent and i made the time for it.

Kindle + elliptical trainer is an easy way to make 30 minutes of exercise go by.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i seriously hate hate hate hate treadmills and ellipticals, the only way i can run is on a real track or outside. which makes winter suck. and it also prevents me from reading while doing it.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kirk posted:

i seriously hate hate hate hate treadmills and ellipticals, the only way i can run is on a real track or outside. which makes winter suck. and it also prevents me from reading while doing it.

I can't read on the treadmill, too much movement. On the elliptical I can keep my upper body pretty still so I'm not getting motion sickness trying to read. I don't particularly enjoy it, but it's got to be done, so I might as well get some reading done while doing it.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i tried listening to audiobooks while I ran, but they don't really lend themselves well to motivation when you're pushing into new territory with your runs. additionally i find i get like 1/5th out of something i listen to as opposed to reading it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kirk posted:

same boat. my subway ride went from about 40 minutes down to 5 and I'm out of the habit of making time to read at home

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i honestly don't mind commutes like that because reading is probably better for me than any of the other poo poo i was going to do with my time

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

deichkind42 posted:

fiasco (about a failed attempt to establish contact with another civilization)

Thank you for this. I am digging it.

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

the culture series is some of the best scifi you can get

so yea read player of games and then all the rest

truthe

FEMA summer camp fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 19, 2011

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so im rewatching lost and oh boy do we hate ana lucia. ownage show otherwise. jj ftw

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Knock the dust of Yospos from your sandals :twisted:

-=NMN=-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Started Singularity Sky last night, never read any Stross before because he seemed really goony but it was like $2 used so I figured I'd check it out.

• Locked thread