Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Great video. Part of me hopes they do this every comic-con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepperoniroller
Sep 11, 2001

I think the video was stupid and insulting to the fans that devoted so many years to this show. It wasnt the least bit funny and I wish they'd give it a loving rest with their attitude about the show as a whole and their feelings towards the hardcore fans

pepperoniroller fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 24, 2011

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
I understand and respect their wishes to not want to leave answers "scattered like horcruxes along the pop culture universe", but I do think the joke of "Here's some answers... NOT! Get it?!" has been pretty played out.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
I guess it's only funny to people who can accept that not every question brought up will or even have to be answered. I can see why see why people who disliked season 6 won't enjoy or appreciate the video, but it doesn't take a single thing away from the show. So what the hell is wrong with the people responsible for the show putting out comedy bits poking fun at their own creation?

vvvvv At the post above yours

redz fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 24, 2011

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

redz posted:

I guess it's only funny to people who can accept that not every question brought up will or even have to be answered. I can see why see why people who disliked season 6 won't enjoy or appreciate the video, but it doesn't take a single thing away from the show. So what the hell is wrong with the people responsible for the show putting out comedy bits poking fun at their own creation?

I wasn't sure if you were responding to my post, but if you were, you're misunderstanding me. I really enjoyed Season 6, and I fully accept that it's ridiculous to expect all the answers of the show to be answered, especially after the show's over!

I just don't think it's that funny, because it's a joke they've made about a trillion times.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

doctor iono posted:

I understand and respect their wishes to not want to leave answers "scattered like horcruxes along the pop culture universe", but I do think the joke of "Here's some answers... NOT! Get it?!" has been pretty played out.

Yeah, I agree with this too. I enjoyed the video, but Carlton and especially Damon have always been smug about the show. If you ever listened to the weekly podcasts during the seasons, or the commentary on the DVDs that's just how they are. Damon seems like the kind of guy you'd want to hit in the face IRL because of his attitude.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
IMO they've both earned the right to be more smug than I would even know how to be if I wanted to.

I'm sorry, but jesus christ someone has to do it...

pepperoniroller posted:

I think the video was stupid and insulting to the fans that devoted so many years to this show. It wasnt the least bit funny and I wish they'd give it a loving rest with their attitude about the show as a whole and their feelings towards the hardcore fans

:qqsay:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Didn't get a laugh from me either. Darlton is really bad at writing these skits, other than the meta-criticsm of the show by Barry towards the end. Reminded me of a show like Big Bang Theory where the topic of their dialog and exaggerated mannerisms supply the punch lines.

Maybe I'd have found it funnier if the first post after it wasn't someone going "LOL!" blowing the never before seen footage angle, but I doubt it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

pepperoniroller posted:

I think the video was funny and endearing to the fans that devoted so many years to this show who can take a joke about the tv show they enjoyed

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I love Lindelof but he really needs to get some thicker skin in regards to Lost and the way people react to it/comment on it. From his Twittering you would think sometimes that he really takes random assholes criticizing his show a little too seriously. Seems kind of passive aggressive at times. If I was him I would just be smug about it to the whiners, and leave out the butthurt tweets.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Remember how the running joke was spelling Widmore's name wrong in the threads? Comic-Con made me think about Lost a bit.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

HanabaL03 posted:

Remember how the running joke was spelling Widmore's name wrong in the threads? Comic-Con made me think about Lost a bit.
Shannon was stabbed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I miss the days when Locke was controlled sand monster.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Shannon was stabbed.

Hahaha, I remember buying into that one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Magic. Time Traveling. Bullets.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Gianthogweed's entire post history.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Magic. Time Traveling. Bullets.

Use Less
Jun 14, 2007
Non-Consumerist
Sheesh. Talk about wasted potential.

Don't get me wrong, the show is/was great, the discussions were great and all. And the whole joking around with: "There are no answers. LOL!" is cute and annoying like a 3-year old.

But really... there's just so much wasted potential. Like the thing with Walt and the dead birds. It would've been so cool to see that tied into Dharma research somehow instead of just being left as an open thread. Or, have some cool science based explanation to the time jumps and the island being "special" rather than just a bland analogy to a record player and a magical light.

It just sucks to see that there was so much imagination sparked by Lost that basically gets answered with: "Whatever dude..." It would have been so much cooler if they didn't answer questions, ok cool... but then maybe take some of the free time after the show, come up with a really cool idea and just throw it out there on Twitter or some poo poo... or another ARG for the gently caress of it - make the show some more royalties - why not? The fans sperg out and the show gets some sweet post-end credibility.

But no... it's just "Oh, whatever, it's over." Kinda sad, really.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Use Less posted:

Just disregard the 6th season like the rest of us. Its like LOST never ended.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Use Less posted:

Don't get me wrong, the show is/was great, the discussions were great and all. And the whole joking around with: "There are no answers. LOL!" is cute and annoying like a 3-year old.

But really... there's just so much wasted potential. Like the thing with Walt and the dead birds. It would've been so cool to see that tied into Dharma research somehow instead of just being left as an open thread. Or, have some cool science based explanation to the time jumps and the island being "special" rather than just a bland analogy to a record player and a magical light.

It just sucks to see that there was so much imagination sparked by Lost that basically gets answered with: "Whatever dude..." It would have been so much cooler if they didn't answer questions, ok cool... but then maybe take some of the free time after the show, come up with a really cool idea and just throw it out there on Twitter or some poo poo... or another ARG for the gently caress of it - make the show some more royalties - why not? The fans sperg out and the show gets some sweet post-end credibility.

But no... it's just "Oh, whatever, it's over." Kinda sad, really.

The answers were...inside you all along.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's really only like, four things that were never answered, so I'm not sure what exactly you guys are talking about.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

The only thing that I really wish had been answered was the outrigger scene, but even that wasn't really necessary to the overall arc of the show.

My biggest grip with Lost fans who complain about things not being answered is that every show has things that go unanswered. People are just upset because things they wanted answered were left vague. I enjoyed Lost more for the ride than anything else. I found the finale emotional and fitting for the show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That or they weren't paying attention when their question was answered. Or they had an answer in their head that didn't come true and now they're pissed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who was the guy who got probated for 4,815,162,342 days (or something like that) for constantly posting incomprehensible theories?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Wrong thread!

EDIT: For content anyways though I have some friends watching Lost right now and we have been doing gatherings and watching the blu rays. I forgot how season 2 has a lot of episodes that just DRAGGGGG or have some really stupid parts. Just watched "Dave" again and it's just ridiculous how Hurley dumps out all that food he is hoarding in that stupid "catharsis" scene. Still love the show but it is fun to point out the stupid things.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 28, 2011

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

ApexAftermath posted:

I love Lindelof but he really needs to get some thicker skin in regards to Lost and the way people react to it/comment on it. From his Twittering you would think sometimes that he really takes random assholes criticizing his show a little too seriously. Seems kind of passive aggressive at times. If I was him I would just be smug about it to the whiners, and leave out the butthurt tweets.

The guy dedicated six years of his life to something he loved. Now, people bother him about it every day with no end in sight. I don't blame him for getting a little pissed every now and then.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

There's really only like, four things that were never answered, so I'm not sure what exactly you guys are talking about.

I think it's more that this show was basically based upon giving the impression that all sorts of mysteries were not only just mysteries, but somehow really important.

And the answer ends up being, oh, that isn't important. But it's only not important because we keep raising the level on which things are important.

I mean at the end of the show, what's important is a cork in the island toilet and a church in purgatory. In that context, Walt's magic powers, etc, etc, etc, etc aren't important, but there are hundreds of things they made us think were important at one point or another, all sorts of mysteries that we never got resolved because instead it was easier to create a new mystery that was easier to solve, claim it's the only important mystery, and just solve it.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I've seen the whole show twice, once over the whole six years it was on air and again earlier this year in the span of about three months, and the mysteries never bothered me. Virtually everything was answered, but not everything was as awesome as you would expect it to be once it's revealed. That's life! The Others weren't so interesting after we had watched them for four years. Jacob and the monster elements of the show would have been better on HBO with shorter, more focused seasons, but at least we got to experience the show.

If you want blue balls, watch Alias. Casting issues meant they had to retcon a season finale conspiracy, and when all is said and done the big questions of the main conspiracy were either never touched on or were easily predicted back in season one.

If you want awesome TV in the vein of Lost, watch Fringe. Season one is a bit of a stinker but it sets up the vastly improved season two and three. The first part of season three is a mini-series like the first six episodes of Lost S3, but they will blow your mind.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

simonmoon posted:

I think it's more that this show was basically based upon giving the impression that all sorts of mysteries were not only just mysteries, but somehow really important.

And the answer ends up being, oh, that isn't important. But it's only not important because we keep raising the level on which things are important.

I mean at the end of the show, what's important is a cork in the island toilet and a church in purgatory. In that context, Walt's magic powers, etc, etc, etc, etc aren't important, but there are hundreds of things they made us think were important at one point or another, all sorts of mysteries that we never got resolved because instead it was easier to create a new mystery that was easier to solve, claim it's the only important mystery, and just solve it.

A bit bitter?

If they stayed focused on each mystery we'd never have progressed through the show. Each season the scope of the show expanded, and with that new, broader mysteries were brought forth.

The people who hated the ending of Lost, for the most part were all about getting things answered. The people who loved the ending were always in it because of the characters, the mysteries were second to character development etc.

Calcaneus
Sep 12, 2010
I don't mind that they broadened the scope, its just that it got so broad that it basically turned into just another fantasy-type mythology. There may have been crazier stuff going on, but I'll always find Locke screwing around in the Hatch or Ben's tenuous hold over the Others much more interesting than Jacob and MIB's storyline. Something I definitely wasn't expecting after the Season 5 finale.

The final season did have some outstanding episodes, but for the most part it kinda fell flat for me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Calcaneus posted:

I don't mind that they broadened the scope, its just that it got so broad that it basically turned into just another fantasy-type mythology. There may have been crazier stuff going on, but I'll always find Locke screwing around in the Hatch or Ben's tenuous hold over the Others much more interesting than Jacob and MIB's storyline. Something I definitely wasn't expecting after the Season 5 finale.

The final season did have some outstanding episodes, but for the most part it kinda fell flat for me.

Ya but the hatch had fantasy elements to it too. Like the numbers where the code that had to be entered and it was the hatch that caused the crash. Also teh only reason Ben had his hold over the others was due to Jacob

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

HanabaL03 posted:

A bit bitter?

The people who hated the ending of Lost, for the most part were all about getting things answered. The people who loved the ending were always in it because of the characters, the mysteries were second to character development etc.
The ending isn't what I have a problem with, it's not like I'm saying they should have suddenly answered every possible question in the last episode. I'm saying they shouldn't have created so many loose ends if they were just going to abandon them unresolved. The reason that I really really got into Lost was because they were selling this bill of goods that every one of those loose ends really did mean something, and it was all leading somewhere, there was a plan, they already knew the ending, and they weren't just making it all up as they went along.

To put it another way, I realize that all the questions I have will never be answered not because they don't want to tell us, but because they just don't exist. Why was Libby in the mental hospital? Because they thought that would be a nice shock at the end of an episode, and they never actually had a reason above that. That's the bait and switch of Lost. The answers never existed in the first place.

Actually I thought the ending was perfect and couldn't've been better. I just wish the entire show had been what I thought/hoped it was, where all those little questions did have answers, where all the things that seemed to mean something did mean something, and it wasn't just all made up as it went along.

But mostly I'm just glad it's over.

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

simonmoon posted:

To put it another way, I realize that all the questions I have will never be answered not because they don't want to tell us, but because they just don't exist. Why was Libby in the mental hospital? Because they thought that would be a nice shock at the end of an episode, and they never actually had a reason above that. That's the bait and switch of Lost. The answers never existed in the first place.

Obviously they put it in for shock value, but that doesn't mean there's no answer, just a mundane one that you can work out from other information.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Smoky's name is Barry? I waited 7 years to find out that the MIB shares a moniker with the guy who packs my meat. gently caress Darlton and gently caress ABC. I'm selling my Bluerays and assorted memorabilia and telling my girlfriend that we no longer watch Desperate Housewives. I'm livid.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Kneecaps posted:

The guy dedicated six years of his life to something he loved. Now, people bother him about it every day with no end in sight. I don't blame him for getting a little pissed every now and then.

Yeah but anyone in his position has to know there will always be critics and getting butthurt just looks pathetic. You won dude. You have the big tv show.

I bet most people who bother him are fans anyways. Lost rocked.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

HanabaL03 posted:

One of the main faults with Lost was that as it went on longer it became less and less about the characters and more about making the audience go "holy poo poo" at the expense of anything else.

So I've never understood this argument. Compare any Season 1 episode to any Season 5 episode and the difference is startling. If Season 6 of Lost is meant to be good, compelling character drama then... lol.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

simonmoon posted:

Why was Libby in the mental hospital?

She had a mental breakdown after her husband died.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up

Leyburn posted:

One of the main faults with Lost was that as it went on longer it became less and less about the characters and more about making the audience go "holy poo poo" at the expense of anything else.

So I've never understood this argument. Compare any Season 1 episode to any Season 5 episode and the difference is startling. If Season 6 of Lost is meant to be good, compelling character drama then... lol.

This is why I think season 3 owns the most, its a top balance between the character stuff and spooky island poo poo from earlier and it hints at the bigger mysteries to come. I don't mind eps 1-6 either, some of the stories are quite cool.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Leyburn posted:

Jack had an amazing character arc from seasons 1 thru 6. Sawyer and Locke also had great arcs that spanned all 6 seasons. Of course season 1 is going to have much more character focus, up until like episode 17 the hatch wasn't even introduced. It was all character back story. The only reason "The Constant" was rated so highly was because of the character story of Penny and Desmond, and most of the highly rated episodes had amazing character revelations, not necessarily "oh holy poo poo mysteries".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

spe posted:

This is why I think season 3 owns the most, its a top balance between the character stuff and spooky island poo poo from earlier and it hints at the bigger mysteries to come. I don't mind eps 1-6 either, some of the stories are quite cool.

I feel the same. People bitch about that first arc and the tatoo episode but the rest of season is optimal/perfect Lost. I always thought season 4 and 5 got a bit too fast compared to the rest of the show.

• Locked thread