Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Match One, Ko the Bold (Bularin) vs. Goobert (Greedish)
As someone who also lost a Kobold in a tournament by decapitation on the very first strike, Bularin you have my deepest condolences, and I grieve for the lost of a fellow Kobold. I would have loved to see what this build could have really done.

Go Team Kobold! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
The larger races go three for three in the first three matches!

Greedish, Jason Firestrider, and Pladdicus, you may upgrade your fighters with their newly-earned points at any time between now and the start of the next round of the tournament. Note that seedings will be randomized each round, so there is no way to know who you will be facing next!

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 31, 2011

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Copper shields. Adamantine scourge. Platinum breastplate. Some interesting equipment load-outs.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Krysmphoenix posted:

As someone who also lost a Kobold in a tournament by decapitation on the very first strike, Bularin you have my deepest condolences, and I grieve for the lost of a fellow Kobold. I would have loved to see what this build could have really done.

Go Team Kobold! :black101:

Thanks, Krysm. Gambled and lost on not wanting to pay the upgrade fine on his weapon. Oh well.

As a point of interest - I was assuming a scourge would be edge based, but never actually looked it up. Is it, or did I just give my fighter a nerf bat?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Bularin posted:

As a point of interest - I was assuming a scourge would be edge based, but never actually looked it up. Is it, or did I just give my fighter a nerf bat?

This is what wikipedia shows as a scourge:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
If the fights are taking too long, you could increase/remove the FPS cap. I tested it out to make sure it worked for the object testing arena, and a 42 page slap-fight between two incompetent amphibian men took less than a second with uncapped FPS. Granted, it would've been impossible to take screen shots.

I too have a soft spot for kobolds; I hope at least one of them manages to triumph over adversity.

EDIT: Checked the raws, a scourge does indeed do edge attacks. Small contact area and shallow depth, but an adamant one would probably have done some decent damage if it had connected at all.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 31, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

PublicOpinion posted:

I too have a soft spot for kobolds; I hope at least one of them manages to triumph over adversity.

The ArenaChallenge.com database tells me that the all-time record for kobolds in one-on-one Arena Challenge matches (including Tournaments One, Three, and Four) now stands at 6 wins vs. 20 losses, for a 23% winning percentage. :(

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The ArenaChallenge.com database tells me that the all-time record for kobolds in one-on-one Arena Challenge matches (including Tournaments One, Three, and Four) now stands at 6 wins vs. 20 losses, for a 23% winning percentage. :(

My Kobold's training record against Soldier Ant Women is 17% higher. :colbert:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
In case anyone is interested, here are the all time results for all of the races in one-on-one matches.

code:
Gremlins:           1-2
Dark Gnomes:        2-4
Kobolds:            6-20
Stranglers:         9-8
Serpent Men:        0-3
Soldier Ant Women:  3-12
Dwarves:           25-14
Elves:             22-12
Goblins:           16-17
Humans:            29-37
Molemarians:        7-8
Werewolves:        13-15
Tigermen:          18-14
Minotaurs:         28-20
Trolls:            11-5
Yetis:              3-2

Total:            193-193
Some things that I found interesting:

• Except for Stranglers, none of the smaller races have had any real success
  • For all of the talk about how formidable Molemarians are, their record is actually pretty mediocre
  • Elves have been surprisingly successful, with a winning percentage second only to that of Trolls
  • No Serpent Man fighter has ever won a one-on-one match yet

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I guess there haven't been that many trolls, but I hadn't realized they did so well. They must be still stuck in the shadow of gently caress Rogers.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jazzimus Prime posted:

No Serpent Man fighter has ever won a one-on-one match yet

Encouraging for my gremlin, but I suspect it's a result of the small sample size and is shortly going to change..

Interesting stats though. Have there really been so few gremlins/serpent men? I guess it looks fewer because their lack of initial wins results in fewer follow-up fights with the same gladiator.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

PublicOpinion posted:

I guess there haven't been that many trolls, but I hadn't realized they did so well. They must be still stuck in the shadow of gently caress Rogers.

Well, in all fairness, if you take away Geekkake's fighter The Tenderizer, who was the champion of the first tournament, all of the other Trolls are only a combined 5-5.

Maugrim posted:

Interesting stats though. Have there really been so few gremlins/serpent men?

Gremlins and serpent men were introduced in the second tournament. Since the second tournament was team-based, the only one-on-one matches we have that feature them are from the third tournament (and the Trisk vs. Murderface match in this tournament). Only one serpent man (Venomminon, who went 0-2) and one gremlin (Baby Troll, who went 1-2) appeared in the double-elimination third tournament.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I am never wrestling a yeti

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Maugrim posted:

Encouraging for my gremlin, but I suspect it's a result of the small sample size and is shortly going to change..

Interesting stats though. Have there really been so few gremlins/serpent men? I guess it looks fewer because their lack of initial wins results in fewer follow-up fights with the same gladiator.

Gremlins have always been fairly unpopular since their introduction. Not completely clear on why. Serpentmen are easier; biting as a sub ability didn't work yet when they were implemented, so why not take an antwoman, with the same size and point totals but with four arms?

Serpentmen are, uh, a little better than a 0-3 race now, though. With first round point totals, they tend to destroy everything smaller.

Boing posted:

I am never wrestling a yeti

If a yeti is trying to wrestle you, you don't really get a choice.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 31, 2011

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ZeeToo posted:

Gremlins have always been fairly unpopular since their introduction. Not completely clear on why. Serpentmen are easier; biting as a sub ability didn't work yet when they were implemented, so why not take an antwoman, with the same size and point totals but with four arms?

Oh biting :doh: That's much more sensible than my build

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh biting :doh: That's much more sensible than my build

Good news: they bite anyway. It might be wise to pick up a rank or two if you advance, but if it's not your primary attack type, don't stress it too much.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Jazzimus Prime posted:

In case anyone is interested, here are the all time results for all of the races in one-on-one matches.

code:
Gremlins:           1-2
Dark Gnomes:        2-4
Kobolds:            6-20
Stranglers:         9-8
Serpent Men:        0-3
Soldier Ant Women:  3-12
Dwarves:           25-14
Elves:             22-12
Goblins:           16-17
Humans:            29-37
Molemarians:        7-8
Werewolves:        13-15
Tigermen:          18-14
Minotaurs:         28-20
Trolls:            11-5
Yetis:              3-2

Total:            193-193
Some things that I found interesting:

• Except for Stranglers, none of the smaller races have had any real success
  • For all of the talk about how formidable Molemarians are, their record is actually pretty mediocre
  • Elves have been surprisingly successful, with a winning percentage second only to that of Trolls
  • No Serpent Man fighter has ever won a one-on-one match yet

It's probably worth noting that for a while (not sure how long) ant-women were bugged and people didn't realise they were the baby ant-women and so actually smaller than gremlins which may account for their poor record.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Shorter Than Some posted:

It's probably worth noting that for a while (not sure how long) ant-women were bugged and people didn't realise they were the baby ant-women and so actually smaller than gremlins which may account for their poor record.

I think that was fixed before the third tournament, so it only affected the team matches and not the one-on-one matches (as there were no ant women in the first tournament). I'd have to go back and check, though.

In the meantime, have one more chart before I call it quits for the night. (I didn't want to break anyone's tables, so I made it a TIMG... you can click the top-left corner of the image to expand it inline)

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

A goblin has never beaten a Troll, quick everyone bet against Elizabeth Bennet for a certain payout!!

e: never mind, everyone already has :(

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009

Maugrim posted:

At first I thought I lucked out fighting a gremlin, but if you've spent all of those extra points on armour coverage my bite is pretty much useless.
My (completely untested) build was aimed at bigger fighters anyway, so who knows, you might have a chance.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Dr Solway Garr posted:

if you've spent all of those extra points on armour coverage

Hahaha. Heh. :(

I've done a tiny amount of testing, but it was enough to show that Maugrem is probably in more danger of bleeding out after That One Snake Guy bites off her foot than she is from the actual injected venom.

Feet and hands seem incredibly vulnerable this go around especially for the smaller races, and armour for those areas is cheap, so I think prioritising that is probably going to be a sound general strategy.

Which I probably won't get to try out now :)

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

There's some kind of weird surface area/volume calculation going on with armour and sizing which means that Gremlin armour is something like tinfoil whereas Yeti armour is something like wearing a locomotive engine.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Jack the Lad posted:

There's some kind of weird surface area/volume calculation going on with armour and sizing which means that Gremlin armour is something like tinfoil whereas Yeti armour is something like wearing a locomotive engine.

It's not weird, armor has always scaled to size.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I want to place a bet!

All of my dwarfbucks on Schrodinger.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

VladTheEater posted:

It's not weird, armor has always scaled to size.

Surface area should scale, yeah, but armor thickness? That seems totally unfair. I mean, it really seems like the deck is stacked up against the smaller races before even considering armor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Vox Nihil can change point totals for tournament purposes, but toady's goal when programming DF was to make the world a realistic simulacrum, not a fair one.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

toady's goal when programming DF was to make the world a realistic simulacrum, not a fair one.

That doesn't really pertain to what I was saying. I meant fairness in the context of the tourney. I understand how toady's layer system works, but a gremlin and a yeti spend the same amount of points to get different levels of protection per section of body area. Regardless of other factors, a strike would have a more difficult time getting through a steel breastplate on a yeti than on a gremlin, which could possibly make armor irrelevant on small races. I have no idea what the actual thickness difference between race sizes is, however, so this could be a moot point. Either way, I'm not crying for more raw changes because Vox has done pleeeeeenty of coding work already.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hooplah posted:

That doesn't really pertain to what I was saying. I meant fairness in the context of the tourney. I understand how toady's layer system works, but a gremlin and a yeti spend the same amount of points to get different levels of protection per section of body area. Regardless of other factors, a strike would have a more difficult time getting through a steel breastplate on a yeti than on a gremlin, which could possibly make armor irrelevant on small races. I have no idea what the actual thickness difference between race sizes is, however, so this could be a moot point. Either way, I'm not crying for more raw changes because Vox has done pleeeeeenty of coding work already.

I'm not sure if armor is actually thicker for the big guys, or if it's just synergy between their size boosts and armor boosts that makes it appear so. Regardless, there is no way to fundamentally change how armor works, though I did what I can by reducing armor coverage for some pieces and reducing the overall size of the largest creatures.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Diplomaticus posted:

I want to place a bet!

All of my dwarfbucks on Schrodinger.

I've activated your account, so you can now place your bet using the site.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
That was a pretty good first round, I love the goblin v.s yeti round, it was pretty entertaining. I'm still waiting eagerly for the Yeti V.S Gremlin final round for the first round.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Jimmy4400nav posted:

That was a pretty good first round, I love the goblin v.s yeti round, it was pretty entertaining. I'm still waiting eagerly for the Yeti V.S Gremlin final round for the first round.
Yeah, it's good to see that a big guy vs. small guy matchup still isn't a foregone conclusion.

Having said that, i'm running a werewolf against a soldier ant woman, so I hope it's not too strong a precedent.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round One, Matches Four through Five:siren:

Match Four, Mrs. Vox (Gomegoth) vs. Black Dow (John Charity Spring)

Mrs. Vox is an angry troll with a steel great axe. Black Dow is a human warrior equipped with an iron battle axe, oak shield, iron helm, and iron mail. Since neither side has any armor that will provide meaningful protection against the other's weapon, this round is going to come down to who can land the hits first!

The axe-wielding warriors rush into battle, and Black Dow immediately takes the first swing! Mrs. Vox parries the blow with her massive axe, then counters, leaving a nasty gash in Black Dow's upper arm which might have been much worse if not for his armor. Black Dow leaps back as Mrs. Vox swings her great axe again, then moves back into range- only to be barreled over by the charging troll!

Black Dow tries to defend himself from his position on the ground. He parries the first blow, but the second takes his leg, and the third knocks off his weapon hand, leaving him armed with only a shield.

Black Dow continues to defend himself, but with blood pouring from his mangled stumps and no weapon on hand, it is only a matter of time until he succumbs. To his credit, he succeeds in striking the troll once with his shield. Perhaps if he had managed to do the same with his axe, this match would have gone differently.

Ultimately, though, Black Dow bleeds out after Mrs. Vox hacks another chunk off of his arm.

Log

Match Five, Barrelbum (FebrezeNinja) vs. Tantrum Spiral (Ramc)

Barrelbum, tigerman, has a copper halberd, oaken shield, and iron helm. Tantrum Spiral the dwarf is geared with a silver war hammer and iron mail. It looks like Tantrum Spiral has a good set of equipment to take on his opponent- will he be the first to bring down a larger foe?

The gladiators approach and face off. Tantrum Spiral swings first, but finds his strike blocked. He parries a counter-strike, but cannot help but be swept over by Barrelbum's immediate charge.

From here, Barrelbum presses the advantage over the stunned dwarf. Tantrum Spiral parries the first strike, then the second, but the third takes off his foot! Tantrum Spiral is now forced to fight disadvantageously from the ground, and though he keeps up with Barrelbum for a few strikes, he soon suffers another terrible loss, this time a hand, followed by a deep gash to his leg.

Surprisingly, Tantrum Spiral keeps putting up a solid defense. He pops Barrelbum in the chest, causing the tigerman to momentarily lose his breath, then lands a bruising hit on the beast's leg. But it is all in vain: another chop of Barrelbum's halberd seals Tantrum Spiral's fate, and the tough dwarf bleeds out upon the arena floor.

Log

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Size looks like something of a deciding factor, so far. Looking forward to a challenger that can carve up a larger opponent.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Dammit, Black Dow. That's hardly behaviour fitting a Named Man.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Brick Moses posted:

Size looks like something of a deciding factor, so far. Looking forward to a challenger that can carve up a larger opponent.

Early on, Size is what's going to determine who wins what. This is why large creatures like Yeti's tend to dominate early on. However, later on they will fail, because they don't have the skills of the smaller creatures.

So early tournament winners will usually be larger creatures. Gradually though, you'll see them fade out and the smaller creatures will win...if they are alive by that point.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krysmphoenix posted:

Early on, Size is what's going to determine who wins what. This is why large creatures like Yeti's tend to dominate early on. However, later on they will fail, because they don't have the skills of the smaller creatures.

So early tournament winners will usually be larger creatures. Gradually though, you'll see them fade out and the smaller creatures will win...if they are alive by that point.

A few of the little guys so far also had fairly weak builds. I wouldn't count them out as a whole quite yet.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I told you guys hawk hogan would no sell his poo poo then break something. I'm very happy with how that fight went. I was hoping for a guy who would just go for a long time

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yeah, I have to agree with Vox that what we've seen of the little guys isn't spectacular as far as builds go.

Incidentally, although it's too late for this round, there's a few of us hanging around on synirc at #arenachallenge who love to run tests and meddle in people's builds for those who advance and want a little aid in not getting creamed right off. Feel free to drop by.

Kwathi
Nov 7, 2010

You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to the Cult of the Crushing Wave."
It looked to me like Ethelgreen might have pulled it off had he been armed with something that did a little more damage versus a big foe, but his and Tantrum Spiral's rounds are making blunt weapons against big guys look pretty bad despite my hopes that a goblin would hit hard enough to break a few bones. Oh well, at least he made a determined effort. Next time maybe a butcher who doesn't read the fine print rather than a carpenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Man, I guess that's what I get for not having a big fighter.

• Locked thread