Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Reive posted:

I honestly can't tell the difference besides the greenness of the first, which in turn just reminds me of The Matrix.

The shadows are washed out and look like crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Reive posted:

I honestly can't tell the difference besides the greenness of the first, which in turn just reminds me of The Matrix.
Look at the edges of the shadows and you'll see some nasty looking artifacting.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Look at the edges of the shadows and you'll see some nasty looking artifacting.

Believe it or not I actually prefer artifacting of low-bit modes to the blurred filtering of high-bit modes, if I could run this in software rendering I would.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Reive posted:

Believe it or not I actually prefer artifacting of low-bit modes to the blurred filtering of high-bit modes, if I could run this in software rendering I would.
Yeah you gotta be crazy, the difference between the first and second screenshot is like from 2000 to at least 2005 to me. In 32 bit with dx10 I can at least pretend I'm playing a recently made game. If you really think it looks bad, maybe your setup messed up because I have heard of annoying graphics errors making their way through the patch installs. I dunno I have no complaints at all about the graphics with all the updates, looking better than ever with New Vision too.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 10, 2011

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Reive posted:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Yeah you gotta be crazy, the difference between the first and second screenshot is like from 2000 to at least 2005 to me. In 32 bit with dx10 I can at least pretend I'm playing a recently made game. If you really think it looks bad, maybe your setup messed up because I have heard of annoying graphics errors making their way through the patch installs. I dunno I have no complaints at all about the graphics with all the updates, looking better than ever with New Vision too.

I don't know, there's just something about visibly chunky pixel dithering I enjoy in contrast to smoothed over blurred textures.

SwissCM posted:

Ahaha, I keep forgetting he's right there.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
That said, the HDR when the graphics are all souped up is pretty obnoxious. I wish I could turn it off.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Reive posted:

You need to get your eyes checked.

Reive
May 21, 2009

KillHour posted:

You need to get your eyes checked.

There's nothing wrong with my vision it's just hard to explain what I'm talking about. :colbert:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I finally played and beat this recently after years of badgering from my brothers who swore by it.

Game owns, but I can't imagine relying on a weapon other than the silenced sniper rifle. poo poo just drops things. I used silenced pistols early on but despite upgrading them pretty far I didn't feel like they did enough damage late in the game to keep using them.

It was really fun being a cold motherfucker and icing every enemy I could. Unarmed scientists did not escape my JC's wrath.

One thing I couldn't find was a way to set my augmentations as something other than the f1, f2 etc keys. Is there a way to do that? I use WASD and it was annoying as gently caress having to go all the way up to the f keys in order to turn augs on, but unless I missed it I didn't see an option to actually change the keys for those in settings. There was a turn all augs on button but that was of limited usefulness because later in the game turning on all my augs at once was not desirable at all.

And gently caress that motherfucker who put a bomb on my chopper. I knew I should have talked to that mechanic :argh:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Twitch posted:

I've been meaning to ask this for years: does anyone else think that JC Denton sounds like Cornfed from Duckman? Because that is the first thing I heard the first time I tried Deus Ex several years ago.

And if you think about it, he kind of acts like him too (socially awkward, but skilled to the point of absurdity).

I've never noticed that, but by god are you exactly right. Now I want a Cornfed voice mod. Paul can be Duckman.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Playing through Deus Ex again since the new one comes out in a couple weeks.

I love when you kill Anna on the 747 and Alex is all like "Okay, yeah, she was out of line, yeah... OH MY GOD JC YOU KILLED ANNA now I'll just delete the logs and let's never mention it again :ssh:"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Playing through Deus Ex again since the new one comes out in a couple weeks.

I love when you kill Anna on the 747 and Alex is all like "Okay, yeah, she was out of line, yeah... OH MY GOD JC YOU KILLED ANNA now I'll just delete the logs and let's never mention it again :ssh:"
I really want to go through and remix Alex's sound files so he goes "Oh my god JC! That was Agent Navarre! ... Well done!"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Reive posted:

There's nothing wrong with my vision it's just hard to explain what I'm talking about. :colbert:

Really? Really?

You missed a prime opportunity to say "my vision is augmented" there. :colbert:

e;

Vigilance posted:

One thing I couldn't find was a way to set my augmentations as something other than the f1, f2 etc keys. Is there a way to do that? I use WASD and it was annoying as gently caress having to go all the way up to the f keys in order to turn augs on, but unless I missed it I didn't see an option to actually change the keys for those in settings. There was a turn all augs on button but that was of limited usefulness because later in the game turning on all my augs at once was not desirable at all.

IIRC no, and that is exactly why you're a fool for playing without Biomod (which makes quite a few augs passive, so you don't have to bullshit micromanage them).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 10, 2011

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Really? Really?

What a shame.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Am I crazy, or can I not rebind the jump key in shifter. Whenever I try to bind space to jump/mantle (or any other key, for that matter) it just resets it when I hit OK. I can bind other keys and they'll stay bound, just not jumping.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Really? Really?

Guess he forgot to have his posting augmentation turned on :smug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vigilance posted:

No, I do not make mistakes of that kind.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

Am I crazy, or can I not rebind the jump key in shifter. Whenever I try to bind space to jump/mantle (or any other key, for that matter) it just resets it when I hit OK. I can bind other keys and they'll stay bound, just not jumping.

Are you sure it's not binding? In Biomod, once you okay a binding for jump/mantle, if you go back in to the controls list is still shows as unbound but it is actually bound and works 100% just fine.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

I believe you need to have the Athletics skill to at least "Advanced" for that to work.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Yeah, that happened to me to. Also, unless I missed something, it's possible to get stuck on one of the rooftops on the way to the NSF generator if you've not upgraded Athletics at all. Does Biomod actually reduce the base jump height?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Prenton posted:

Yeah, that happened to me to. Also, unless I missed something, it's possible to get stuck on one of the rooftops on the way to the NSF generator if you've not upgraded Athletics at all. Does Biomod actually reduce the base jump height?

Possibly, but I'm pretty sure there are other ways to get to the NSF generator.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Vigilance posted:

He was never properly trained in its operation.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

Possibly, but I'm pretty sure there are other ways to get to the NSF generator.

There are, but the area he's talking about is a place where you can actually get stuck due to the lowered jumping height. I ran into that problem yesterday and I ended up having to climb a LAM to get out.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DeusEx.jpg

Random philosophical conversations about the nature of government in a bar.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Chakron posted:

There are, but the area he's talking about is a place where you can actually get stuck due to the lowered jumping height. I ran into that problem yesterday and I ended up having to climb a LAM to get out.

Yeah I think I got stuck there as well the other day. Thankfully, I had enough points to put into athletics to jump out of there!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A system based around the weakest qualities of individuals will inevitably produce those same qualities in its leaders.

Maybe some qualities are an inseparable part of human nature.

The suppression of these qualities in favor of superior ones is the mark of a civilized man.

oh god why can I remember this, I'm just glad that I'm sure that's not verbatim

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Vigilance posted:

Go to Keyboard/Mouse settings (where you bind keys) and scroll all the way down. There you can bind keys to F1-F12 so that they work to activate aug slots.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Vigilance posted:

Game owns, but I can't imagine relying on a weapon other than the silenced sniper rifle. poo poo just drops things. I used silenced pistols early on but despite upgrading them pretty far I didn't feel like they did enough damage late in the game to keep using them.

Silenced sniper rifle are fairly good; that was my choice the first or second time I played, although ammo is scarce even with mostly headshots. I kinda prefer the standard pistol to the stealth version as it does more one-shot damage (14 base compared to 8) and is slightly more accurate (and very modifiable; everything that the stealth has plus recoil), but that doesn't matter if you worry about sound because you can't silence it (I prefer the crossbow then; actually, I like the crossbow for it's large damage [25], too, though I usually play non-lethal stealth anyway. Keep in mind it counts as a "pistol" weapon, not low-tech.). The Deus Ex Wikia talks about how the pistol and the stealth pistol really turn out, you might be surprised.

Beaten: The Keyboard/Mouse settings should let you choose keys for the F3 and on buttons, though maybe that is only in Shifter? You probably should've played it with at least Shifter anyway (well, maybe skip the new weapons and ignore a lot of the exploitable ones), probably Biomod, fixes a ton of annoying bugs.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Has anyone actually found a use for the LAW? I think the only time you could ever find it remotely useful is during the "kill all the robots" part in Van Der Berg, but that's only if you somehow don't have a GEP Gun, any LAMs, or not able to find the way to shut down the robots manually.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I once shot Louis Pan in the face with a LAW.

It was the best.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

closeted republican posted:

Has anyone actually found a use for the LAW? I think the only time you could ever find it remotely useful is during the "kill all the robots" part in Van Der Berg, but that's only if you somehow don't have a GEP Gun, any LAMs, or not able to find the way to shut down the robots manually.

The LAW can solve any problem.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

If I find one I'll use it as a lockpick, but I never carry them. To me, the most satisfying way to kill large robots is with drones; great fun piloting those things right in their faces and hit the detonator. I'm surprised nobody has done a Taliban model for those big boys yet, btw. I loved the Spy Drones, X-Ray Vision, and e-Cloaking when I did a non-lethal stealth run. Feels much more 'aug'ed' than the purely physical ones, e.g. strength, running, etc.

Only did one run with BioMod so far, and it really puts the cherry on the cake. They should pay that guy and incorporate it in an updated 2012 release; market it as a special End Of The World edition - "forget Paris, forget Venice - see DE before you die".

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Finally beat Deus Ex after buying it during Steam's Christmas sale almost two years ago. Went for the Helios ending, then watched the other two on Youtube. I've seen people complain that the last few levels are too linear, but when I get near the end of a game I usually just want it to be over.

Great game, and it's definitely one I'll revisit every once in a while. I'm still going to wait at least a few days on Human Revolution, in case it's another Invisible War.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Twitch posted:

Great game, and it's definitely one I'll revisit every once in a while. I'm still going to wait at least a few days on Human Revolution, in case it's another Invisible War.
I and many other people can tell you first hand that it's not.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

DeusEx.jpg

Random philosophical conversations about the nature of government in a bar.

This should actually just be DeusEx.jpg. Or :deusex:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Reive posted:

It's color and contrast. The difference is obvious to me, plus with 16bit there's tons of banding when you play the game compared to when you play in 32bit.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Has anyone actually found a use for the LAW?
It's pretty cool but not really essential, just like the Plasma Rifle. I like using them when I find one, especially when you pop up out of the sewers in Paris.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Has anyone actually found a use for the LAW?

The first few times I played through the game I never actually used it because I thought it was just a one-use RPG. Then one time I gave it a try and found out that it did more damage and had a ridiculously huge area of splash damage. It's great for breaking open an entire room's worth of containers by firing one into it. Granted, it takes up too much space to actually carry around but if you see one it can be fun to drop a few things, use it, and then pick them back up.

Farbtoner fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Shifter/Biomod allows you to carry more than one LAW. Here is what you do in Vandenburg:

A) Kill the 2 guys on the little water tower at the back. They have a LAW each on them.
B) Empty your inventory and grab them.
C) Run across the pipe at the top of the tower. There are 2 crates here. Each has a LAW in them. Grab them.
D) Head back to roof, as the start of the level. You now have 4 LAWs, and need to kill 4 bots.
E) Start humming "Sunglasses at night"
F) Go nuts. Jock will go "That's one bot - the second bot - only one - that's all of them", MJ12 troops will futilely run into the area you are raining fiery death upon, and absolutely everything will explode

Also, the LAW projectile spawns some distance ahead of you. Why not try pressing it against a thin wall and clearing out everyone in the room on the other side? Or assassinating Howard Strong without even having to enter the bunker?

That trick presumably will also work with the Shifter railgun, but I've never tried it.