Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
does the collectors edition come with some hats for tf2? i refuse to play a game that does not reward me with hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Saliciouscrumb posted:

This might be a stupid question, but I've always wondered, especially in games with stealth elements, do you get experience for the bad guys you slip around? I mean, netting experience for shooting guys is pretty straightforward, but does Deus Ex calculate the number of bad guys Adam sneak around afterwards? And then give Adam experience points for that?

What about money/credits? Letting bad guys off the hook seems to be pretty good way to deny oneself good loot.

Yes actually. Here's kind of a breakdown of the XP, based on what I've seen in the preview videos.

10 XP- Take down a guy
+20 XP- Nonlethal KO
+20 XP- Melee takedown (lethal or nonlethal)
Thus you get 10 XP if you kill a person, 30 XP if you melee a person to death or knock the person out with a nonlethal weapon, 50 XP if you use a nonlethal takedown on a target

Ghosting through a level gets you hundreds of XP, maybe even a thousand. It might be level dependent/based on how many goons there are on the map, and I'm not sure if you can still get that bonus if you KO people without being seen/having the alarms raised.

If you don't drop targets, you can't loot them, but you can still find all sorts of stuff through hacking and exploration, and it's not as though they carry a huge amount of money to begin with. Plus you can sell off your found loot if you need the cash (and don't feel like thinking about where that rocket launcher you just pawned is going to end up [I'm pretty sure this isn't a thing that's actually tracked in the game]).

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
From the Eidos Forums:

erionfin posted:

One new review. Finnish magazine Pelit (= Finnish for "Games") reviewed Deus Ex: Human Revolution in their newest issue and gave it 91/100 and "Pelit Recommends" -award.

Their conclusions (translated by me):

"Excellent cyberpunk role-playing adventure, that honors the legendary predecessor, but stands firmly on its own feet. Couple of weak parts don't ruin the big picture."

Cover:
(re-hosted the pic so I'm not image leeching)

erionfin posted:

Jordasm: What are the weak parts? I'll take a wild shot in the dark and go with graphics and boss fights? :P
Yes, according to the article, the boss fights felt too straightforward and didn't fit in a game that elsewhere always gives multiple options in order to advance. The article didn't dislike graphics too much however, only (facial) animations were criticized for being too stiff. The article praised art direction and said that streets of Hengsha are truly beautiful. What surprised me was that this article disliked the hacking minigame also.

One interesting point was also that the magazine gave original Deus Ex 91 points and "Pelit Recommends" -award back in 2000, so if they had given more for Human Revolution, that would've been quite a statement. Some longer quotes this time (again, freely translated by me):

"There aren't too many sidequests in the game world, but most of them are related in a way or another to the main story, shedding light on the background of the missions, giving information on the past of characters or something else that came up in the main story. This makes the quests more interesting than in other role playing games with their errand boy quests (I'm looking at you, Bioware!)."

"Human Revolution's conversation system is maybe the best combination of dialogue wheel and complete lines I've ever seen. Dialogue options point out both Jensen's tone and mood and a citation of what the protagonist is going to say. This is different from Mass Effect's vague (and often very similar) options, but still keeps a certain amount of surprise factor and unpredictableness in the discussions."

Most of the ending for the review:

"As a Deus Ex fanboy I have to admit that I'm surprised how well Human Revolution met my unreasonable expectations. The game's contents are very close to the original Deus Ex, story works well, missions are well designed and technical implementation is good enough. Eidos Montreal has succeeded very well and I can't find any real issues to complain about in the game. Biggest weaknesses were poor hacking, office maps which resemble each other a little bit too much and a bit unsatisfactory boss fights. All those are small and easily forgivable imperfections, which did not ruin my game experience. I am satisfied: after 11 years the masterpiece got a worthy successor. Deus Ex Forever!"

Poor hacking? Bullshit. :v:

Tecman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 11, 2011

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Lord Solitare posted:

does the collectors edition come with some hats for tf2? i refuse to play a game that does not reward me with hats.
Demoman gets a built-in sunglass instead of a eyepatch (not really but that would kind of own actually)

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Any word on how re-playable the game is? I don't need diablo loot or anything just something as simple as randomized enemy spawning would really help. I love DX but knowing exactly where and how everyone moves on liberty island kind of takes the tension away by the 10th play through.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Lord Solitare posted:

Yes there's contemporary paisley (my fav :swoon:), scottish paisley, and La Putain de Paisley. DLC will include 6 new paisley patterns for your jacket and a pair of Air Jordan Spiz'ike's.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tecman posted:

From the Eidos Forums:

(re-hosted the pic so I'm not image leeching)

Poor hacking? Bullshit. :v:

We Finns are just so used to difficult hacking.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Intense posted:

The Fable 3 collectors edition was sick.

Shame the game wasn't worth its weight in dirt.

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...

floor is lava posted:

I just want a steam preload. I just want to know it's real.

That would be either a week before release or a Friday before release. Either way, you'll have plenty of time to pre-load.

12 days left! Just glad Steam decided to be a dick about purchases way after I pre-ordered the game.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
The good news is my new laptop should be in by Tuesday or so, so I'll actually be able to run the PC version :toot:

The bad news is that this means I've missed out on any and all special offers (steam, GMG, etc etc etc)

So... how does Gamestop usually handle their digital DL stuff? I might as well settle for the Tong mission + the first 2 games.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

LightWarden posted:

Ghosting through a level gets you hundreds of XP, maybe even a thousand. It might be level dependent/based on how many goons there are on the map, and I'm not sure if you can still get that bonus if you KO people without being seen/having the alarms raised.
Well, the ghost bonus existed in the leak, and was still obtainable if you knocked people out without being detected first.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

My new pc won't get here before the game. :(

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Strudel Man posted:

Well, the ghost bonus existed in the leak, and was still obtainable if you knocked people out without being detected first.

There are two bonuses for that sort of thing. One is the ghost one and there is another for not interacting with anyone or anything in a mission.

Neosuki
Jul 14, 2004

randombattle posted:

There are two bonuses for that sort of thing. One is the ghost one and there is another for not interacting with anyone or anything in a mission.

"Smooth Operator" I think...

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

The good news is my new laptop should be in by Tuesday or so, so I'll actually be able to run the PC version :toot:

The bad news is that this means I've missed out on any and all special offers (steam, GMG, etc etc etc)

So... how does Gamestop usually handle their digital DL stuff? I might as well settle for the Tong mission + the first 2 games.
You can still get the 10% off through Steam. Also, I think someone posted current codes for GMG a page or two back. As for GameStop/Impulse, the downloads and installs for the first two games get handled by the Impulse program. No idea about the pre-order pack yet, but you probably just get a code to put in the game or something similar. I'm also guessing that the Augmented edition's extra content gets unlocked as part of the main game key for Human Revolution, which you likely won't get until release.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

randombattle posted:

Neosuki posted:

"Smooth Operator" I think...
Smooth operator is for not setting off alarms. If there's a separate bonus for not interacting with anyone, it's one that didn't exist in the leak, because my first time playing it I played that way, and never got anything but Ghost.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
That would mean the most rewarding way to go through the game would be to kill every bad guy without ever being seen.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

floor is lava posted:

I used a discount code that I found on Reddit for Green Man Gaming so I just want my keeeeeey. Also I suppose since there's no details on it yet there will be no extra mission or weapons DLC in the Steam version eh?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dillweed posted:

Also, I think someone posted current codes for GMG a page or two back.

Ah, thanks. Went and used that then. First time I've bought a DDL game without using Steam directly, so I'm still a bit lost. Guess I just gotta wait for them to email the code then.

I've been out of the game too long :ohdear:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I used a discount code that I found on Reddit for Green Man Gaming so I just want my keeeeeey. Also I suppose since there's no details on it yet there will be no extra mission or weapons DLC in the Steam version eh?

Going off previous Squenix games on Steam, all preorder bonuses will be available via purchase later, like with JustCause2.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Plus I'd speculate that like Just Cause 2 DLC, the game is too easy when you use it. :)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Zoolooman posted:

Plus I'd speculate that like Just Cause 2 DLC, the game is too easy when you use it. :)
I love to use mods and dual wield my cluster bomb launchers sir. :colbert:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can anyone confirm that if I buy a game through Impulse I can download it using Steam? I really don't want to install another client on my PC.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can anyone confirm that if I buy a game through Impulse I can download it using Steam? I really don't want to install another client on my PC.

I bought Lead and Gold from them a few weeks ago and it gave me a Steam key.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

That would mean the most rewarding way to go through the game would be to kill every bad guy without ever being seen.
That was certainly the case in the leak - doing that, it was possible to earn a praxis point via experience at around the same time you find that first praxis kit in a box, and buy the social aug slightly before meeting Zeke.

Not that having it at that point actually ends up doing much, but...

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
So apparently in the final version you start out with five Praxis Points on the first mission?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Here's the last (spoiler-heavy) update from that Worthplaying visit, sorry about the CIA document formatting ( http://worthplaying.com/article/2011/8/11/news/82797/ ):

1:30 PM
Gameplay Hands-On: The Hive and the Whorehouse

The Hive is one of the most popular destination in the Hengsha city hub. It's run by Tong Si Hung, otherwise known as Mr. Tong. We could have gone in the front door, but that might have gotten noticed. Better to sneak in the back, via a vent in the alleyway. Sure, it means entering through the women's room, but hey, you do what you gotta do. Listening in on the patrons at the Hive reveals a bit about the Harvesters. It seems they are a gang that acquires augmentations by literally ripping them out of others.

We upgraded Jensen's hacking skills to break into a restricted area in the basement. That's where Mr. Tong's office is located. There's some Chinese writing here. Wonder how accurate it really is. Some patrons in the club speak Chinese as well. Their subtitles show in English, though (or else we'd be screwed). drat. This lock requires you to hack dual nodes. Just getting one doesn't do the trick. Looks like we have to head upstairs for a chat with the manager; otherwise, hacking the lock to the restricted area sets off an alarm that brings the guards running.

Ha! The Chinese manager insults Jensen by calling you a "gwailo," which is a racial slur meaning "white man." He really doesn't like Jensen, but our persuasive skills get him to unlock the basement door for Jensen.

Hacked into a second area and snagged a PDA from the DJ. Found some useful stuff, so remember this when you play through the game. It might save your rear end. The basement access code for the Hive is 0415. The access code for the security room is 8953. Don't say we never did anything for you. Down in the basement, we made our way to Tong's office to have a chat. He was kind enough to reveal the location of the hacker that's been harassing Sarif Industries. How nice of him. Wonder if there is a hidden agenda at play here? As we were leaving, the bouncer grabbed Jensen and advised getting a drink from the bartender before leaving. The bouncer is having trouble with a woman named Jaya, who owes money to Mr. Tong. He wants you to hack three cell tower relays so that Jaya's position can be triangulated. It's one of the side-quests in this area. Accepted it, but probably won't play through it right now.

On the way over to the Alice Garden Pods Jensen runs into Malik, who seemed quite upset. She's working on her own side project, trying to determine who murdered a friend of her and why the police covered it up. It's another side-quest, but it just confirms what we already suspected about Human Revolution: Conspiracies are everywhere.

Once Jensen finds the hacker who attacked Sarif Industries, he reveals that he was only working on contract. The one pulling the strings (and paying the bills) was the head of Sarif's biggest competitor, Tai Young Medical. Since the failed op, Tai Young Medical burned the hacker and put a bounty on his head. As a result, he didn't have too much of a problem giving Jensen some information — specifically, what you need to collect to sneak into Tai Young Medical. Our first stop is the Hung Hua Hotel, AKA a local whorehouse.

One of the working girls tells you that another girl has been kidnapped by the owners as they want the girls to get augments to bring in more money from customers. The kidnapped girl refused augments in the past, and her friend fears that the owners will augment the girl against her wishes. After accepting the mission, our time with the game was over. The PR rep — Hi, Matt! — herded us out of the office to get ready for dinner. The good news is that we're walking away with a retail copy of Human Revolution, so we can schedule more time with the working girl next week.

Oh, there's also this: http://eidosmontreal.tumblr.com/
Did your opinion on DX:IW change through development? It seems most of the fan community hated it. Did you incorporate any ideas at least in part inspired by Invisible War? Or was it entirely ignored?
Frank says: My personal opinion of it did not change, no. Have I played it? Yes. Through the end. I’m glad to finally have this question.

We’ve tiptoed quite a lot around the issue of Invisible War, but we’ve never fully answered people who wanted to know how much of it we actually used as inspiration. I shall do this here and now. My aim is not to start a flame war. But if we’re to peel back the curtain on how this game was designed, I want to be truthful. And the truth about Invisible War is that I personally did not get as much enjoyment out of it as I did the original Deus Ex.

Looking at Invisible War was a cautionary tale. The game showed us how some apparently simple design decisions such as universal ammo could alter the essence of what Deus Ex is. When you look at IW, all the staples are there: the future, augs, weapons, a conspiracy, dialogs, stealth, side quests, etc. Yet it doesn’t feel quiteright. It made us realize that it would be very easy for us to screw up Human Revolution. We had a fine line to thread after all. So in essence we used IW and compared it to DX1 in order to operate a “course correction”; which means we reverted most decisions in IW in favor of what DX1 had done.

From my knowledge (and sometimes defective memory), there is nothing in Human Revolution that comes from invisible War alone. Doesn’t mean Invisible War was a bad game. But it’s not the game we were trying to live up to.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 12, 2011

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Tecman posted:

In fact, they said one of the requirements was that you be able to play through the entire game without enabling any augmentations. It’s much more difficult to do so, but it is possible.

We were also told that you can play through all of Human Revolution as a completely stealth game. If you’re good enough, the only required combat sequences are the boss fights.

Awesome, I plan to do a stealth-run on my first playthrough.

Also, I wonder how long the main game is excluding the side quests? I 'd hope it would be quite substantial given this:

Tecman posted:

Counting the side quests separately from the primary story path, we’re told that they add approximately 12 – 15 hours of gameplay.

...but it completetly contradicts with that Finnish review:

erionfin posted:

"There aren't too many sidequests in the game world,

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

MZ posted:

Awesome, I plan to do a stealth-run on my first playthrough.

Also, I wonder how long the main game is excluding the side quests? I 'd hope it would be quite substantial given this:

Most of the sidequests you encounter, as far as I know at this point, are pretty long and involved. I can believe a 12-15 hour length if you're not doing them as quickly as possible and trying to be a completionist. Also, I imagine the game is around 18-20 hours, probably more for people like me.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

MZ posted:

Well, based on the leak, there really aren't. Numbers wise. But the ones that are there aren't tiny little fetch-quests, they're pretty meaty on their own.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I just read the last five pages of this thread to not be a complete rear end in a top hat, but I suppose a disclaimer is warranted:

The only things I know about this game is that it's a new Deus Ex game, I've been cautiously optimistic about it, and I know there was a leak some time ago. That's about it.

I'm primarily a console gamer these days. I never managed to finish the first Deus Ex despite me being the most ridiculously vocal fan of it, and I have somehow managed to get through all this slog of previews without succumbing to watching gameplay videos or reading the forums. Until the last five pages, anyway.

Saw the PC Gamer magazine in stores yesterday with its review. Read it. Pre-ordered instantly. I'm still sort of cautiously optimistic, and I am getting this on Xbox 360, but I like to think I've made the best choice I can for a man in my position.

Really, I'm just super proud of myself for not succumbing to spoiler tags. I'm stoked. I truly hope this game as as long and as in-depth as its namesake demands. I'd love to dedicate weeks, even years to this game...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Momomo posted:

I bought Lead and Gold from them a few weeks ago and it gave me a Steam key.

It says on the checkout that it's "Direct Download via Impulse." I think I'll just save $5 and order it straight from Steam.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Zorak posted:

Going off previous Squenix games on Steam, all preorder bonuses will be available via purchase later, like with JustCause2.
I figured as much. Too bad the Steam edition isn't getting any pre-order bonuses besides "here's the original game you beat 10 years ago".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jarate posted:

I truly hope this game as as long and as in-depth as its namesake demands. I'd love to dedicate weeks, even years to this game...

How are you going to stretch 15 to 20 hours of game over several years?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I have found at least one New Thing in my yearly playthrough of DX1 since it came out ten years ago. v:shobon:v

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Walk everywhere.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sorta what Al Cu Ad Solte said, but Deus Ex is one of those few games I haven't actually beaten but I know I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours into it. It's just so goddamned fun. The game doesn't break, it bends to your will in the best of ways! I always find new things to do, see, or play around with, and on the rare occasion I don't, it's always just as refreshing to play through in a way that I haven't in a while. It's really just the best kind of game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

floor is lava posted:

Only if I can get it from GMG too.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Linguica posted:

I am actually not a fan of designing a game so that it's readily possible to pass any given section while taking zero damage. I mean I understand the idea behind it and all, but I think it's a symptom of a game that's too easy to cheese through. In the leak at least, it seemed to generally be possible to get through pretty much everything without taking any damage so long as you were stealthy and deliberate about it, but for me at least it still required some luck and tactical quickloading, which made it OK.

I think "we can always count on the player being able to regen to a certain minumum level of health, so we can calibrate encounters to a player starting with 25% health" is much better for gameplay than "we have to ensure that every single room is passable without taking a single point of damage since a guy might be stuck here with 1% health." The latter means that you have to be able to bypass every single fight fairly easily, which is boring.

I understand what you mean, but I wasn't implying that a game had to be specifically designed so it is readily possible to pass any situation without taking damage. Rather I meant that no situation should be specifically designed such that damage is literally unavoidable (have to pass through a gas chamber, etc.)

Simply avoid the completely unavoidable damage design and then the players adapting for minimum damage, if they choose to, comes for free. As long as healing items aren't exceedingly rare and you aren't crawling out of every battle barely alive, then you should be perfectly fine and you get the side game of balancing your inventory of medical supplies or hunting them down. If you do find yourself in the situation of low health, tough battle and no way to get healing, then you should play a lower difficulty or change up your approach to fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

There's a DX:HR television commercial floating around. Not a fan of all-CGI trailers myself, and seems very non-derivative.

• Locked thread