Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Well good new, Marvel Studios just got the rights to Punisher back. So if we see another movie, it'll be handled by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

TheJoker138 posted:

Well good new, Marvel Studios just got the rights to Punisher back. So if we see another movie, it'll be handled by them.

Well you have to assume that they are at least throwing ideas around if they went to the trouble, unless the rights just reverted to Marvel due to expiry of the old agreement? I'm sure we'll see the skull emblem as an easter egg in Avengers or something now at least. Wouldn't break my heart if they kept Frank separate from the cape and spandex set though, there's cool stuff they can do either way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well you have to assume that they are at least throwing ideas around if they went to the trouble, unless the rights just reverted to Marvel due to expiry of the old agreement? I'm sure we'll see the skull emblem as an easter egg in Avengers or something now at least. Wouldn't break my heart if they kept Frank separate from the cape and spandex set though, there's cool stuff they can do either way.

I believe they just reverted back. I know that they were really close to getting reverted before War Zone came out, but they rushed it into production to retain them. I remember hearing at the time that it had to make X amount of money for them to keep the rights afterward as well, but I don't have any real sources on that one other than internet hearsay. But if true, War Zone bombing may have done the trick.

I hope if Marvel does a new one, it's a period piece set in the 70's, with a half hour long before the credits scene based on Born.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
I kind of like the idea of a Punisher movie series that's set in different eras. Have the first one set in the late '70s, just after he loses his family, then at the end he's caught or goes underground. In the sequel he resurfaces and now it's the mid-80s; at the end he's caught or goes into hiding again. In the third film, he comes back and now it's 1990 or something. Different eras give you different gangsters and crimes to Punish.

That way you can explain why he doesn't interact with other Marvel heroes while still keeping him in-universe (He can't meet Daredevil or Captain America if he's operating when they aren't around). Also, it accounts for the aging of whoever plays him. If Thomas Jane's learned how to have facial expressions beyond "blank," "vaguely concerned" and "constipated," I'm all for bringing him back.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
You know who needs to direct the next Punisher movie, if that ever happens? Jason Eisener. Hobo with a Shotgun had the perfect feel for a Punisher movie, I think.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

WickedIcon posted:

You know who needs to direct the next Punisher movie, if that ever happens? Lexi Alexander. Punisher: Warzone had the perfect feel for a Punisher movie, I think.
:colbert:

Seriously though, she really nailed the feel of the Max books in her movie. I'm pretty sure the reason that Warzone flopped was because it was released in loving december, and the script wasn't quite right for a max style film.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Trollologist posted:

:colbert:

Seriously though, she really nailed the feel of the Max books in her movie. I'm pretty sure the reason that Warzone flopped was because it was released in loving december, and the script wasn't quite right for a max style film.

Yes, because when I think of Punisher MAX, I think of stupid loving over the top villains who are nothing but stereotypical characiatures, Frank living in a neon sewer, and spinning upside down from chandeliers, and lovely looking effects like exploding rubber heads. War Zone was a loving abomination, and is worse than the Lundgren movie. I can understand people liking it as a stupid crazy action movie along the lines of Crank or whatever (even though it's not even that, it still sucks compared to other movies along those lines) but anyone who thinks it's a good Punisher movie is flat out wrong. Lexi Alexander should never be allowed to direct another action movie again as long as she lives.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes, because when I think of Punisher MAX, I think of stupid loving over the top villains who are nothing but stereotypical characiatures, Frank living in a neon sewer, and spinning upside down from chandeliers, and lovely looking effects like exploding rubber heads. War Zone was a loving abomination, and is worse than the Lundgren movie. I can understand people liking it as a stupid crazy action movie along the lines of Crank or whatever (even though it's not even that, it still sucks compared to other movies along those lines) but anyone who thinks it's a good Punisher movie is flat out wrong. Lexi Alexander should never be allowed to direct another action movie again as long as she lives.

Thank you!

Warzone was a mediocre throwback to 80s action movies with very little merit to it, and it was even worse as a Punisher movie.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Thank you!

Warzone was a mediocre throwback to 80s action movies with very little merit to it, and it was even worse as a Punisher movie.

Actually "mediocre throwback to 80s action movies" describes a lot of Punisher comics. What's ridiculous is the people comparing it to Punisher Max, like the film-makers. There was some quote from the director or screenwriter or somebody who referred to a very conscious effort to make the movie be like Max in which case I can only conclude that whoever said that quote was either mentally challenged or somehow had Garth Ennis's worked confused with Mike Baron's or somebody. It was much more like you're average terrible Punisher comic from the late '80s or early '90s then the Ennis stuff. I mean, I enjoyed it because I watched it high and laughed my rear end off, but it was a poo poo movie.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Sigma-X posted:

Thank you!

Even your average 80s action movie wasn't as jokey and cartoony as War Zone; and even something that was - like The Running Man - had the good sense not to mix that stuff up with somber character moments. No, War Zone is more like a poorly-executed, Mountain Dew-fueled copy of the Tim Burton Batman formula: Turn down the lights enough and add enough violence and hope everybody takes your campy, ridiculous comic book movie seriously.

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

All that buys you is a little more pain than most
It did a lot of things wrong but some things were so right that I can't help but love it. Ray is an incredible Punisher, and the effort they put into making his tactical reloads and overall combat posture yielded spectacular results. The parkour sequence and You're Under Arrest Shotgun to the face parts were very similar to the humour throughout the Marvel Knights run. Also the mess that would have been left mercy killing Carlos with the .500 brought a smile to my face. And then there was the fact that a Mexican standoff ended with a dead protagonist which was a welcome development

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheJoker138 posted:

Dude, I agree with you. Not to the same extent, but still.

Lexi nailed the TONE of a max film. Ray was spot on as Frank, the action sequences were visceral, and there were a tone of nods to the Max material. Also some of the more crazy poo poo that happens (the chandler bit, the rpg on the parkor guys, etc) isn't any more crazy than some of the poo poo that Ennis had written (Balls in a foam cup, ripping of the leg of a tiny martial artist, both of barracuda's deaths).

The SCRIPT however, was poo poo for a max type of film. Jigsaw was such a terrible loving choice for this movie, a lot of the dialogue was poo poo, most of the plot was crappy, and as for micro...meh. You could tell they had a Marvel Knights script, and then went and tried to shoot a max film. And that's really the big disconnect there. The tone doesn't match the script, and it shows.

But gently caress man, Ray Stevenson once said that if they get to do another movie, he wants to do Slavers. They loving read the books, they knew the source material. That's more than I can say about most adaptation films nowadays.

Oh and about the neon, that's actually how the max books look. A lot of the panels are just dominated with one or two neon colors. I'm not saying it's a bad choice, but that's factual. I'll post some scans if you don't believe me.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

To avoid the same dumb argument happening again I suggest if people want to argue the faults or merits of the different Punisher films to either take it where they should (the film thread) or just read the thread where this has already been discussed ad nasuem.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The last part of Frank came out today, and I'm pretty happy with it. Bringing him back to his metaphorical roots is pretty much the one ending I didn't see coming. I really want to know where he's going to take it from here, with a broken (and broke) Frank living in his old house.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I really liked the Frank story and I liked how it tied in to the Kingpin Arc nicely, can't wait to see where it goes next

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

TheJoker138 posted:

I believe they just reverted back. I know that they were really close to getting reverted before War Zone came out, but they rushed it into production to retain them. I remember hearing at the time that it had to make X amount of money for them to keep the rights afterward as well, but I don't have any real sources on that one other than internet hearsay. But if true, War Zone bombing may have done the trick.

I hope if Marvel does a new one, it's a period piece set in the 70's, with a half hour long before the credits scene based on Born.

But I liked War Zone. Titus Pullo as Castle and Det. McNulty as Jigsaw? loving aces!

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

I enjoyed the latest MAX issue and I think they'll try and tie this in with the 616 book that just started. Frank's got nothing left, so he goes back to the suburban home he left three decades ago and is starting all over from scratch. It's the perfect tie-in point for a reboot, but I can't help wondering how they explain the age discrepancy. Rucka's Punisher #1 only showed him silhouette, but that silhouette didn't look anything like a guy pushing 60 to me.

I liked how they tied in Nick Fury without making him into Fury's creation -- I think I mentioned earlier in the thread how I didn't want that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

picosecond posted:

It's the perfect tie-in point for a reboot, but I can't help wondering how they explain the age discrepancy. Rucka's Punisher #1 only showed him silhouette, but that silhouette didn't look anything like a guy pushing 60 to me.

Bloodstone healing powers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Huh? What? Why would they "tie in" Punisher Max to 616? Not only is it stupid, it wouldn't work at all. "Oh yeah, there's all these costumed super-beings running around but I've literally never spared a thought for them or ran into any of them despite being a well-known vigilante who murders criminals. Also, Nick Fury was an ex-CIA guy who likes whores and a WW2 holdover super-spy who lives in a helicarrier at the same time."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Huh? What? Why would they "tie in" Punisher Max to 616? Not only is it stupid, it wouldn't work at all. "Oh yeah, there's all these costumed super-beings running around but I've literally never spared a thought for them or ran into any of them despite being a well-known vigilante who murders criminals. Also, Nick Fury was an ex-CIA guy who likes whores and a WW2 holdover super-spy who lives in a helicarrier at the same time."

At first I read it wrong and thought that picosecond just wondered about adding Aaron's twist about Frank's origin to 616, but looking at it again... yeah. MAX and 616 aren't going to be joint continuity. That defeats the purpose.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

At first I read it wrong and thought that picosecond just wondered about adding Aaron's twist about Frank's origin to 616, but looking at it again... yeah. MAX and 616 aren't going to be joint continuity. That defeats the purpose.
Especially when the next arc is supposed to be so...Elektra-fying! :v:

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

I got the impression that MAX was going bye-bye, so I assumed that these next couple of arcs were going to bridge the two versions of the character. If that's incorrect, then I am sorry and will hang my head in shame.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lars Blitzer posted:

But I liked War Zone. Titus Pullo as Castle and Det. McNulty as Jigsaw? loving aces!

And even with that great cast, it was still a loving awful movie. They had Titus Pullo living in a neon sewer and McNulty doing the most retarded amateur hour "italian" accent I've ever heard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Semi-Spoilers follow:
Does the end of the Frank arc over-write what was established in The Cell (Garth Ennis penned one-shot)? That issue seems to infer Frank got at the mobsters directly involved in the shooting not long after it happened, while in The Cell Frank is a longtime veteran of his specific war, navigating and manipulating Rikers like he owned the place, something a year one Punisher just couldn't do, and wouldn't have the reputation that had the whole place scared shitless of him.
That's the only fault I can find in the Frank arc. Though it's a big one. Ennis ressurected and redefined the chracter, I hate to see any of his run retconned. I'd like to think somehow it fits with what's been established, but it doesn't feel right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If anything I'd say this fits more with Ennis' view of the character. Even in Vietnam he was an unstoppable killing machine that no one could escape, so why would it be that hard for him to find the specific mobsters who shot his family? Ennis established eons ago that it really wasn't about his family at all, so this basically fits way better than "somehow despite killing tens of thousands of people and having the incident burned in my mind, I could never find these 5 goons until I was 300 years old"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

If anything I'd say this fits more with Ennis' view of the character. Even in Vietnam he was an unstoppable killing machine that no one could escape, so why would it be that hard for him to find the specific mobsters who shot his family? Ennis established eons ago that it really wasn't about his family at all, so this basically fits way better than "somehow despite killing tens of thousands of people and having the incident burned in my mind, I could never find these 5 goons until I was 300 years old"

It helps that in the new version Fury literally just goes "Hey here's their names, go take care of poo poo and gimme a call".

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Anybody read Remender's FrankenCastle arc?

It is SO much better than it has any right to be.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

E the Shaggy posted:

Anybody read Remender's FrankenCastle arc?

It is SO much better than it has any right to be.
The OSHC sits proudly next to Ennis' Max books on my shelves. It's a beautiful thing.

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

All that buys you is a little more pain than most
My layout is Born -> Max 1 -> Max 2 -> Max 3 -> Max 4 -> Max 5 -> First To Last -> Max 6 -> Franken-Castle -> Omnibus. That way the clearly superior Ennis run is isolated from the decent but inferior OSHC offerings

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I really didn't like the first issue of the new Punisher run, but the second issue has much better pacing, and I'm glad someone is using the new Vulture.

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

I really didn't like the first issue of the new Punisher run, but the second issue has much better pacing, and I'm glad someone is using the new Vulture.

I thought Rucka said he wasn't going to use super-villains and just focus on mobsters and stuff like Ennis did. Or maybe I dreamed this.

Also, I just caught up on Aaron's MAX run and while I love his writing, I just can't get over Steve Dillon's art. It's so boring.

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?
So, does anyone else hate that they brought the Hand into the Max-iverse? I dunno, I just feel like they and Elektra are a tad too out-there for Punisher MAX.

Though, it WAS cool that she killed a guy by making him choke on his own eyes

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tetris Crowley posted:

So, does anyone else hate that they brought the Hand into the Max-iverse? I dunno, I just feel like they and Elektra are a tad too out-there for Punisher MAX.

Though, it WAS cool that she killed a guy by making him choke on his own eyes

The version of The Hand they're doing is just a large Asian crime syndicate, I don't see how that's too out there. If they start doing zombies and stuff, then I'll agree with you, but I really doubt that's the direction they're going to take it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I finally got caught up on the new Max title, I like it , but I also miss some of the superheroish stuff. Ennis had him fight Wolverine and things like that which was enjoyable. I mean it feels like they wanted to make it "realistic" but really it just seems that it exists in the purgatory of 80sness. A realistic look would be people would be following him on facebook he would be a sensation, he's literally going out and killing bad guys. So i don't really find it overall that realistic, it just seems that they've powered down all the things that are superheroic.

edit:

Now that i think on it it would awesome if he had a facebook or twitter.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 15, 2011

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hollis posted:

I finally got caught up on the new Max title, I like it , but I also miss some of the superheroish stuff. Ennis had him fight Wolverine and things like that which was enjoyable. I mean it feels like they wanted to make it "realistic" but really it just seems that it exists in the purgatory of 80sness. A realistic look would be people would be following him on facebook he would be a sensation, he's literally going out and killing bad guys. So i don't really find it overall that realistic, it just seems that they've powered down all the things that are superheroic.

edit:

The stuff where he fought Wolverine by Ennis was all Marvel Knights stuff. There's a definite shift even in Ennis' work when it switched to a MAX book. And he was popular, up until he killed that cop.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollis posted:

edit:

...what the hell reason would The Punisher have to use twitter?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Okay bullets are coming out

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

namskull posted:

@1INick got any guns i can borrow? #imback #punishment

1INick posted:

@namskull smh

TheRealBullseye posted:

LOL! RT @namskull @1INick got any guns i can borrow? #imback #punishment

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If they replaced Chris Hansen with The Punisher, To Catch A Predator would still be on the air.

• Locked thread