Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

And yes, lording over Smarts, Yarises, Altos, Twingos, Lupos and so on is even more fun than you'd think. You're like the big kid in the sandbox. You know, the kid who had to take 1st grade over again because he's a bit slow, but he sure as hell can beat everyone else up.
He still knows not to try it on with his older brother, though. :keke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

He still knows not to try it on with his older brother, though. :keke:

Nah, his older brother is cool. The problem is that all of the bigger kids are jerks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Yaris is a bigger kid too, at least the US spec ones are.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

The Yaris is a bigger kid too, at least the US spec ones are.

That's because you fatty fatty Americans mostly buy the sedan ;)

You sit higher up in the Panda and if riding a motorcycle has taught me anything, it's that being taller=better.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

That's because you fatty fatty Americans mostly buy the sedan ;)

Watch you you're calling an American :p

What a lot of people in North America don't realise is the Yaris is actually two rungs up from the bottom of the Toyota UK range size wise.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

What a lot of people in North America don't realise is the Yaris is actually two rungs up from the bottom of the Toyota UK range size wise.

Same as here, I look down on both iQs and Aygos (+107s/C1s) with great enthusiasm ;)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The Panda 4x4 is exactly the vehicle I'd want to see here. Even if it wears Jeep badging.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
So I test drove one of these toady and was quite impressed for what it was, decent power to get moving and a surprising amount of room for the front passengers considering that I'm 6'6" and 330lbs and I believe that this might be my commuter car in the next few months. Just no sun roof so I can fit. The clutch felt weird to me (super light) but I have been driving nothing but stout aftermarket clutches for the last 2 years and a 6 speed dodge 3500 diesel the last month, so that is probably why.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The clutch is extremely light and has a wide engagement point, it's extremely easy to modulate. My ex-gf jumped right in and drove off with no problems at all, even though it'd been like two years since she last drove.

How is the brake pedal on the US 500s? In my Panda it's got pretty long travel and you have to press the pedal a fair amount to get semi-hard braking. Very unlike the Opel I test drove where even looking at the pedal would send you into the windshield, it was ridiculously overboosted.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So it looks like the USDM Abarth will actually be somewhat uprated compared to the EU version.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/11/2012-fiat-500-abarth-quick-spin-review/

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Throatwarbler posted:

So it looks like the USDM Abarth will actually be somewhat uprated compared to the EU version.

This article is confusing the living poo poo out of me. From the headline "Not Exactly Like America's Abarth – Ours Will Be Better" one would be led to believe they are talking about the EU spec Abarth, but then they keep jumping back and forth between "our Abarth" and EU/NAFTA spec. Don't these fuckers have editors?

That said, :swoon:

heat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 11, 2011

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Throatwarbler posted:

You left out the important part:

quote:

U.S.-spec 500 Abarth will ride over a superior rear axle design based on the one developed for the so-called NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) 500 and run with a more powerful turbo engine featuring Fiat's Multiair valvetrain.

The NAFTA 500 Abarth's 1.4-liter turbo engine (to be produced by Chrysler in Trenton, Michigan) is expected to produce 175 horsepower;

If they are correct, that is a 42hp increase compared to the EU abarth, and a 12hp jump over the abarth esseesse.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I *really* hope you can get the car with that paint scheme.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

oRenj9 posted:

I *really* hope you can get the car with that paint scheme.

That's funny, we were just hoping it was optional at most :v:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I just want the scorpion on the hood.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Personally I like just the scorpion badge on the hood and tail. I'm sure they'll have graphics options though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Why does the tire track disappear inside the curve of the scorpion's tail?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VideoTapir posted:

Why does the tire track disappear inside the curve of the scorpion's tail?

Cause u stop n ur tracks when u c the STINGA bro.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The Panda 4x4 is exactly the vehicle I'd want to see here. Even if it wears Jeep badging.

Its going too, don't you worry.

Might even still be called a "Compass"

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Mighty Horse posted:

Its going too, don't you worry.

Might even still be called a "Compass"

That makes me actually want a Compass.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

For anyone who's interested, I started a blog about the Fiat 500 Abarth in the US. For right now, mostly just covering speculation about when and how much horsepower, plus random posts about whatever I think is related. Criticisms, suggestions, etc. are welcome.

http://www.fiat500abarth.us

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

Rosenthal just did a very good review of the US Fiat 500 (And 500c)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCDY6-zb6yw

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Lilleput posted:

Rosenthal just did a very good review of the US Fiat 500 (And 500c)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCDY6-zb6yw

That's a very good review, they got to the core of the matter, that the 500 isn't about performance, absolute luxury or macho attitude, it's just a fun little lifestyle car.

Sergio Machionne said "I want Fiat to become the Apple of the car world and the 500 to be our iPod” and I think they're pretty well on their way. You get more bang for your buck other places, "but it's SOOOOO CUTE! :3:"

The Abarth is a slightly different bag of bolts, I can't wait to see what people think of it.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Today I'll be going to a Fiat dealership to check out the little cars. Excited!

Looking forward to seeing how my 6'4'' self can fit comfortably in one. My equally-tall friend test-drove one of them recently and loved it.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Test-drive done.

I want one so bad. Particularly a yellow 5-speed one to match my yellow SV650 motorcycle. Girlfriend has a blue Honda Fit and a blue SV650. So it'd be one scheme-happy family.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I'm hoping they release the Abarth 500C in the US, so I can get the combination of "fun lifestyle" and ahem, "fun" performance. A convertible = lifestyle, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

sim posted:

I'm hoping they release the Abarth 500C in the US, so I can get the combination of "fun lifestyle" and ahem, "fun" performance. A convertible = lifestyle, right?
They haven't confirmed either. Does your site have any source for the speculation in this post?:
http://www.fiat500abarth.us/blog/uslaunch/the-abarths-are-coming/

Lilleput
Jul 22, 2006

Top Gear just did a European tour in a 500CC Abath SS. It's worth checking out.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

They haven't confirmed either. Does your site have any source for the speculation in this post?:
http://www.fiat500abarth.us/blog/uslaunch/the-abarths-are-coming/

Complete, baseless speculation. Most of our my articles aren't like that, but I only have one guest poster and I allow him to speculate and prattle a bit.

Here's a Top Gear written review of the 500 C Abarth: http://www.topgear.com/uk/fiat/500/road-test/c-abarth-driven

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Well guys, after test driving some incredibly boring cars that didn't have any character, I think I've decided that my next car will be the Fiat 500. My dad worked at Chrysler and I can get a 5% off invoice. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow.

Can someone clarify the difference between the Pop and Sport/Lounge seats? I read on one of the reviews that they have different seat types and the Sport/Lounge is more narrow. Is this true?

Also, a couple reviews I've read have said that the sunroof option on the Lounge reduces the amount of headroom. Can anyone confirm this?

CalvinandHobbes posted:

In southeast michigan (Ann Arbor specifically) I've seen 500s driving around, usualyl alone, since January or so. Surprised how small they really are. I've set on a fiesta for my next car but might have to check one of these out first.

What up, A2 goon? You can test drive my (future) Fiat if you'd like.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 15, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Corbet posted:

Can someone clarify the difference between the Pop and Sport/Lounge seats? I read on one of the reviews that they have different seat types and the Sport/Lounge is more narrow. Is this true?

The Sport seats have thicker side bolsters, I can't remember how the Lounge seats differ.

quote:

Also, a couple reviews I've read have said that the sunroof option on the Lounge reduces the amount of headroom. Can anyone confirm this?

The mechanism for the sunroof will intrude down into the cabin a fair amount, if you're already close to using all the available headroom in a 500 without the sunroof, you will probably hit your head on it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

They all have really wide seats compared to the typical Japanese market cars I'm used too.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
I've driven three US spec cars now, in varying forms of option packages.

- fit & finish is high for a $15,500 car
- light weight (this is my number one new car shopping point)
- nice interior materials
- lots of room inside for you and your stuff
- cool roof rack and rear hatch rack options for cargo carrying
- low entry-level price
- great warranty

Dislikes:
- numb steering, even with sport button on
- numb clutch engagement with zero feedback
- A/C system is quite loud on high setting
- turn signal indicator noise is nearly silent (constantly forget that turn signal is on)
- slow*

*My 106hp Toyota Echo of similar weight feels like a muscle car in comparison. It may be an illusion though... the Fiat is just so quiet and dis-involved by comparison. My Echo has no sound dampening, stiffer suspension, no power steering, and a tighter clutch engagement. The cars may be equal in a drag race, but the Echo just feels faster and more enjoyable because you're not hidden from the driving experience like in the Fiat.

Notes:
-Do not buy the sport package. It's not worth the money for some marginally-stiffer springs and shocks. You'd be better off buying the base model, putting some proper aftermarket suspension on it, and picking your own sporty wheels from tirerack.com. The only thing you're missing at that point is the sports seats and let me tell you; they're not very sporty.

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 15, 2011

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
How the hell do you mess up the steering and clutch feel on a "sporty" compact? Isn't the Euro-spec supposed to have really good feel?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

toaster_pastry posted:

- numb clutch engagement with zero feedback

I'd love to know if they've changed the clutch mechanism for US spec cars, because the cable clutch in my Panda gives me loads of feedback. True, it's extremely light, but there's still plenty of feel in it.

Totally agree on the steering being somewhat numb, the electric power steering on modern small Fiats just doesn't feel as good as a hydraulic system or even a higher-spec electric system.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

How the hell do you mess up the steering and clutch feel on a "sporty" compact? Isn't the Euro-spec supposed to have really good feel?

Europeans seem to hate good clutches, the worst clutch I ever felt in my life (meaning super light and numb) was a 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i. Which is supposed to be a full-on sports car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

The problem is that it's all relative. Most modern cars feel like a Fisher-Price toy compared to older stuff, everything's... damped out slightly. The steering wheel is a big part of it - a slightly smaller, firmer wheel can work wonders, but manufacturers have to both satisfy a broad range of drivers and deal with type-approval bullshit.

If you get out of a modern hatchback and into something from twenty-thirty years old with a thinner, firm steering wheel, no PAS and narrower tyres, the difference in steering feel is absolutely astounding.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

toaster_pastry posted:

I've driven three US spec cars now, in varying forms of option packages.

Have you test driven the Mazda 2? I'm curious how it would compare, Mazda tends to keep the driving experience intact, and a Mazda 2 with a manual sounds like it could be a fun little car. I've seen a few around and they look MUCH better than the Fiesta.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

Have you test driven the Mazda 2? I'm curious how it would compare, Mazda tends to keep the driving experience intact, and a Mazda 2 with a manual sounds like it could be a fun little car. I've seen a few around and they look MUCH better than the Fiesta.

They really are excellent to drive. I took one for a test drive and it reminded me a LOT of my '99 Miata, just with less power and a hard top, so yeah I'd definitely like to know if anyone has driven both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

They really are excellent to drive. I took one for a test drive and it reminded me a LOT of my '99 Miata, just with less power and a hard top, so yeah I'd definitely like to know if anyone has driven both.

Wow if that's accurate I want one even more now. I've seen adds in the paper for them selling at 13k and 0% (although that may include $$$ down?). I better not test drive one or I may make a bad financial decision :(

• Locked thread