Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Fontoyn posted:

This has been really bothering me recently, fighting tall guys who can pull off quick push kicks is an incredible bitch to do. What's the appropriate counter strategy in this situation?

Try and catch the kick then kick their other leg out from under them.

E: More precisely, if they throw the right teep, use your right arm to catch it and push it to the outside, while fallowing through with a kick to the back of their posting leg above the knee with your left. If they are throwing a lot of them, you should be able to time it or see it coming. It's a bit tricky, but should work.

TheStampede fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Fontoyn posted:

This has been really bothering me recently, fighting tall guys who can pull off quick push kicks is an incredible bitch to do. What's the appropriate counter strategy in this situation?

I've seen two ways to handle it.

Catch the kick, toss it and kick them in the back of the leg; or

The dick way, which is to meet their ankle with your elbow when they kick you. This will likely end up breaking their toes when you get the distance wrong.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

TheKingslayer posted:

I know I could totally benefit from weight lifting. But I can never find a program I like.

Inspired by our resident goon professional fighter, I picked up an intro to kettlebell book and a 35 pound bell. I've only been at it like 3 weeks but I've seen some small yet noticeable results. It's also nice because all I need is floor space and a timer.

The real key is your diet though. You gotta eat your brains out but avoid too much crappy food.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps/theStampede posted:

Okay, I'll give this a shot tonight. I'm getting much better at moving to the outside of the kick and slamming people like him with kicks to the posting leg. I remember not doing that for some reason at the second half of the round, a lot of the time guys who don't check will request that you take the heat off of/stop leg kicks, and then keep doing the attack you began lowkicking to counter in the first place.

edit: gently caress me, I'd rather get kicked in the leg/check a kick than be punched in the head or kicked in the stomach

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 24, 2011

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
The basic Savate defense against a push kick is also throwing the kick aside (basically just whack the leg the gently caress off your face real hard) and throwing a counter kick or go inside with a punch past the now slapped-away-leg. With quick hands you can deflect the push kick with your forearm while simultaneously stepping in and continuing to strike with the same hand you deflect the kick with with the same fluent movement while your foe is still unbalanced due to your powerful slappage of his stupid kickleg.

Or just sidestepping the kick if you are really fast or rather, can read your opponent really well. If you sidestep to the correct angle and in, you now have several options to now attack his weak side.

Me? I just usually get hit in the belly, ignore it and fire back if I'm not thrown away by too much... duh.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

NovemberMike posted:

I just watched the episode and this is it. One of the guys got knocked out by a kick to the face because you don't protect your face and the other blew his knee doing a spin kick. It is truly the most dangerous art (to you).
Yeah that was a joke. He hurt himself and then tried to act like he had some 'warrior spirit' or something. The bit where they show the bodyguards jumping front kick was just hilarious. So I guess this leads to... Fight Quest vs Human Weapon. Go.
Seriously though, I'm not even going to bother checking out the kyokushin place's pad class.

Everyone does a choke on me where they've passed my guard and they just put a forearm over my neck and just push down. Is that the rape choke? Is it as simple as me not letting the back of my head touch the canvas when I'm laying on my back? I know I ask a lot of basic questions but I feel like everyone had some sort of basics course in newaza that I missed.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

Oh, this is my favorite thing to do besides a low jab with my 900 ft long arm. You could try staying out of range and if you get the timing right move to their outside and get body-to-body control.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ligur posted:

The basic Savate defense against a push kick is also throwing the kick aside (basically just whack the leg the gently caress off your face real hard) and throwing a counter kick or go inside with a punch past the now slapped-away-leg. With quick hands you can deflect the push kick with your forearm while simultaneously stepping in and continuing to strike with the same hand you deflect the kick with with the same fluent movement while your foe is still unbalanced due to your powerful slappage of his stupid kickleg.

Or just sidestepping the kick if you are really fast or rather, can read your opponent really well. If you sidestep to the correct angle and in, you now have several options to now attack his weak side.

Me? I just usually get hit in the belly, ignore it and fire back if I'm not thrown away by too much... duh.

This is awesome I've been wanting to ask some questions of a Savate practitioner.

Could you tell me of any drills or provide youtube links for kicking that you would do in a normal class? I'm looking to add some things when I coach some buddies on their striking to mix it up a bit from the norm.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Nierbo posted:

Everyone does a choke on me where they've passed my guard and they just put a forearm over my neck and just push down. Is that the rape choke? Is it as simple as me not letting the back of my head touch the canvas when I'm laying on my back? I know I ask a lot of basic questions but I feel like everyone had some sort of basics course in newaza that I missed.
That is not a rape choke. A rape choke is where you grab the front of their throat with your hand when the person is on his or her back and you push down on the front of the throat with the space between your thumb and forefinger.

If someone posts a forearm across your throat turn your head.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CaptainScraps posted:

The dick way, which is to meet their ankle with your elbow when they kick you. This will likely end up breaking their toes when you get the distance wrong.

If you're fast, catch or scoop. If you're slow, just have your elbows down enough to meet the foot.

Ligur posted:

Yeah, if you're staying at kicking range, don't worry too much about the push kick. Even if he goes deep on it, you'll just get pushed back. Only if you rush in without reading the teep coming will it hurt. When you're dealing with someone who can do that, close distance knowing that he's going to throw the teep and be ready to deal with it. This way you will have less reaction time to execute your response.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The most frustrating thing for me of all is the fact no one else in my group really like to strike with me so they always try to wrestle on me. Being the smallest means that mega sucks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Yuns posted:

If someone posts a forearm across your throat turn your head.

be careful turning only your head because often that is what they want. Once your head is misaligned with your spine they will lock in the crossface and you are pretty stuck. Turn your head, your shoulders and your hips together.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TheKingslayer posted:

This is awesome I've been wanting to ask some questions of a Savate practitioner.

Could you tell me of any drills or provide youtube links for kicking that you would do in a normal class? I'm looking to add some things when I coach some buddies on their striking to mix it up a bit from the norm.

Now that you ask, my head went blank but I can already hear the gears grinding! I've been doing mostly conditioning and basic bagwork during the summer myself meanwhile instructing some Savate formé, conditioning and boxing classes. Trying to get back into the proper four technique classes a week pattern though. I feel a longer post coming while reflecting upon what I've been thinking and the more novel drills I've encountered during the spring and summer. The basic tenets of Savate are touch but do not be touched and control your distance. Kicks, when performed in perfect form, land with your leg completely extended. This makes it particularly challenging to combine kicks and punches because you must by shifting weight or footwork make the distance transition very quickly. It is not even possible to emulate this part of the style correctly without the Savate shoes. Which doesn't mean you can't still do very similar drills otherwise

First, I don't think the training methods of modern kick-boxing arts aiming for ring fighting differ that much but surely stylistical differences do show. Here's a page with somewhat useful explanations of Savate techniques, and for short, fouette is somewhat like a roundhouse or a whip kick, chasse is a piston or side-kick, revers a crescent kick all which can be be performed as a spinning kick (tournant), with a simultaneous sidestep (Décalage), a side movement (Débordement), jump (sauté) and either bas (low), median (medium) or figuré (kick his head off) and endless variations and combinations thereof. I won't go into the other kicks right now so my fingers don't fall off from typing. I'm sorry there are so few good or new online resources to demonstrate Savate, most of it is, although technically sound, filmed in a corner club with a shaky low resolution camera or on display on a page that looks like it's from the 90s and highlights how the French utilize the internet as a medium of exchanging information.

Here's the dude chaining a fouette median with a revers lateral tournant figuré posted last page to demonstrate how you combine a simple roundhouse with a crescent kick and make it insanely hard and technical.

Here's another taster where a dude (a Savate champ) in the first technique combines a jab, two lateral push kicks to the leg, a crescent kick to the face to draw off the gloves, a hard right cross to stun, overloading one side, with a whip-kick to the head to finish it off. This clip is actually pretty good because the whole idea of changing levels and chaining both hands and feet into a flowing series of attacks comes across very well, emphasizing the distancing and kicks yet not overlooking the boxing aspect. The second technique on the clip is also typical in Savate training: instead of hitting an immobile object you react to your partners attack and unleash a counter utilizing changing levels and the décalage (sidestep) to change angles, and it isn't overtly complex. Notice the person doing the attacks does NOT have his leg always completely extended when he connects. This is because he's a full contact, that is, combat figther and crap like "dahhh leg must always be 100% straight" fly off the window immediately when you attempt to maim your opponent unconscious and he tries to do the same.

As it is, even though we practice combinations of five or even seven attacks nobody thinks you can actually perform such a long combination on a resisting opponent. Yet it is considered useful to train chaining many strikes and keep on chaining them even when your training partner intervenes (as would someone in a fight, I'll come back to this later*). You can basically say as a rule training for more than four strikes per combination has less to do with learning an actual combination you will use as is in a fight and more with learning to flow in strikes comfortably.

Let's give you some exercises that are, if not specific to Savate only, very typical in that many emphasize not force but distance, reaction and speed and all of which we have done over the summer. I'll freely mix the names of the strikes, but try to use such as "a roundhouse" or "push-kick" when called for to better explain the drill.

Leg warmup, conditioning and even a technique drill:

Take two guys, preferably of the same size or reach without gloves. Now assume a fighting stance in the orthodox position, and firmly, at a distance, clasp your forehands together for support. Now prepare to do a kick with the best form you are able to (say, side-kick or chasse), lift your leg accordingly, turn your supporting leg and waist, chamber the kick and slowly fire off 20 (almost anyone can do 20, but why not 30 or 40) of the same kick without touching the ground with your leg, holding your partners forepaw. The important thing is to re-chamber the kick meticulously each time yet never lowering your leg from the chambered position - let alone let your leg touch the ground! Now your partner does the same. Now you mirror your stances to southpaw, clasp your hands again, and repeat 20 with your right leg. Now you go back to orthodox, clasp hands, and repeat the exercise with a another kick like a roundhouse or a fouetté, doing at least 20 kicks with both legs.

For the uninitiated kicker this will make your thighs burn a bit but is excellent for conditioning for a beginner and a good warmup exercise for everyone. More advanced guys can do the same exercise without a partner and fire off 100 kicks or something without touching ground, practicing their balance at the same time.

Speed drill 1:

Take a heavy bag. Take a guy. Have him fire off 5 or 6 low or medium roundhouse kicks as fast as he can, each more explosive. Hell, you can even let the form suffer if they are just fast as gently caress. Now have him rest for 15 seconds to recover his leggy while another guy attacks the bag. It's important to let the legs rest far longer than they are actually at work, otherwise you can't maximally train for speed. Now have him do it with the other leg. Then the friend. Repeat a couple of times only. Don't even try this with anyone without properly warmed up and loose legs. Also takes time, not for shorter group classes.

Warmup, movement & hand speed drill 2:

Take two guys. Choose roles A) and B). Role A) stands rooted in place, and turns in a 360 degree arc changing directions and speed. Role B) tries to move with him maintaining good posture. On occasion role A) lifts his gloves up as focus mitts, and role B) must immediately fire a combination of two jabs and crosses. Then role A) resumes spinning about for two minutes. Change roles. It is very common in Savate to use your gloves as focus mitts (some people just can't loving get the hang of it!) because focus mitts often need a small dynamic group, but when you have 14 or 20 people it's not practical. I even have SDI 16oz gloves with specially padded palm and wrist made for this purpose.

The Ping Pong!!!1 warmup and reflex drill.

Take two guys. Choose roles A) and B). Prepare for two two minute rounds. Assume a stance and start moving crisply at a kicking distance. This drill combines sparring elements, typical to all Savate drilling. Role A) as he chooses fires off a low (can be medium) kick at role B) who must immediately respond with a kick of his own. Both try to connect with a crisp tap and block or slip the counter. After two minutes, changes the roles. After two more minutes, change partners and do this again or do something else. You can also do this with two kicks. You can also do this with the additional difficulty level of thinking, which is a common Savate drill: Role B) must respond with the same exact two kicks role A) engaged with, like left middle roundhouse and right low roundhouse or a fouetté bas and a tournant revers or whatever. It is important for the attacking role to break the rhythm. He should not attack at a steady kick... kick... kick... pace but instead employ kick... kick kick... kick... kick kickkickickasdfaf. I sometimes feel we go through months of doing this or a similar drill every single class.

The Ping Pong bag drill variation 1:

Take two guys. Take a heavy bag. Choose roles. Role A) fires off two crisp kicks at the bag, role B) immediately fires the same two kicks from the other side. Have a 1-2 minute round and change roles. This can be rather exhausting when repeated. The idea is not to hit the bag with maximum force, causing it to flail around the gym in large arcs, it is to react immediately with crisp taps off the bag. Not a very typical drill, but fun. At least I think so.

The bag drill, annoyance and confusion variation:

Take two guys. Take a heavy bag. Choose roles. Role A) fires off a combination of three strikes, both punches and kicks. They can be anything at all, like three punches, or two kicks and a punch. Role B) immediately responds, starting with the opposite strike role A) ended with. Say, if role A) went jab side-kick cross, role B) must start with a kick. So role B) continues with a kick, a punch, and another kick. Now role A) must observe the last strike was a kick, and must now continue, again with the most urgent haste, with a punch, of which he decides to throw three thus also ending with a punch. Role B) hence again starts with a kick and on it goes... When you get a nice tempo to this drill it's quite rewarding, solid bag work, and hones your reactions to those of someone else. One minute rounds are tiring enough. This should be a high tempo drill. Also this isn't easy by far for many and one of the more... novel drills.

The stop the rear end in a top hat drill:

Take two guys. Choose roles A) and B). Wear protective gear. Role A) prepares to use his gloves to provide a target for role B) who is bristling with energy and ready to react at lighting notice. They separate to a distance a little over the reach of B)'s range of kicks. They assume a stance. Now role A) in a random pattern comes forward and places both of his gloves roughly at his knee. Role B) immediately lifts his foreleg knee and fires off a lateral push-kick/piston-kick (basically a chasse lateral bas) downward to the target presented to him. Continue this with two minute rounds. The next time someone comes at you at the night grill, you'll just by reflex push-kick his knee causing him to either stop completely or make him fall over, much to the delight of the onlookers. Or during a sparring match or in the ring. This is as typical as it gets.

The technique drill I, II and whatever.

I would usually train maybe two combinations for each class, or one longer combination of up to 10 chained strikes, counters and evasions. For a longer combination start by a simple jab feint + two kicks changing levels and angles, until everyone get's the hang of it and keep adding to the series of strikes at two's or three's, ending with a jab feint + two kicks + cross + crescent kick + spinning kick + sweep kick and a final uppercut to the face of dropping person to completely kill him. For example...

Take two guys. Place mouthguard inside mouth. Choose roles A) and B). Now figure out a combination of four or five strikes. Role A) starts with, say, a right leg side-kick to the ribs (chasse lateral median works well). Role B) Whacks the kick down with with his lead (left) hand, sidesteps instantly delivering a thundering right cross (or possibly simply lighting jab to distract his nemesis), a low kick with his left leg to change levels, a right roundhouse of his own to the ribs or possibly the cranium, and escapes with a jab while A) follows with two straights which miss because B) just escaped (with the jab). Or if he didn't he eats a punch or hopefully at least blocks it. They continue to move sharply, until A) again attacks with the right leg side-kick to the ribs and B) responds as outlined above. Repeat 5 reps of this, change roles. Repeat 5 reps, change roles, constantly increasing the speed when you become comfortable, continue until instructor is satisfied.

This type of technique exercise forces both participants to move actively, instead of staying in place perhaps to admire their magnificent combinations and somewhat resembles coordinated sparring. Free strikes are also included, trainers might be encouraged to finish the combination with a strike or two of their choosing. The person getting hit at can (and should) choose to evade or block the strikes during the drill - but rather not to retreat back for more than a step or two, he should stay inside the range of his partner. IMPORTANT! Neither of the roles must remain passive, they must both try to land their shots and to block or dodge those of the other! You can half-block, half offer your glove as a focus-mitt (exactly like in the combo clip up there) especially if your partner is going at a high percentage. The more advanced groups train these drills at such speeds and with enough power to their attacks and blocks they don't need any conditioning (or bag work) during the class, but work themselves to exhaustion simply training the technique, ending up as puddles of sweat on the floor now slick with blood and other fluids.

Much of your typical technique drilling is done in this manner. Regular Savate practice. Some instructors go through several different two or three strike combinations during a single class, others go for the longer ones. Some alter. But the pedagogic method is as above.

Boxing sparring exercise of frustration and mental fortitude. Also an excellent warm-up exercise:

Take two guys. Place mouthguard inside mouth. Choose roles A) and B). Assume stance. Greet your partner and touch gloves. Role A) will now attack role B) with a combination of up to six or seven punches. Role B) must watch, slip and block in horror during the first three or four strikes, but after that he can counter with a six or seven punch combination of his own. Meanwhile role A) must finish his combination even though role B) is already returning fire. *I said I'll come back to this later. After B) finishes his returning fire, A) starts with another six or seven punch combination. Or if B) is slow to finish and starts thinking about a vacation instead, just go at him again at once. Needless to say, you cannot go 100% or even 70% - but you can still go fast, just don't use force. Two minute rounds of this makes everyone happy. Change roles.

As a note, if role B) chooses to never return fire due to shock and awe, role A) will simply finish his seven strike combination and immediately start off with another in the worst case ending up pummeling his partner for the whole two minutes. The idea is to never stop but constantly flow with the engagement scoring hits and - yes, eating some.

Savate sparring exercise of an infuriating aspect:

Take two guys. Place mouthguard inside mouth. Touch gloves. Smile. Everything, including beating someone senseless is more easily done whilst smiling: a smiling person is never too tense. And we know being too tense fucks up your striking. Choose roles A) and B). Role A) again starts an attack of four or five strikes, combining both punches and kicks. NOTE! Punches and kicks must be combined, it's not an option. Feint with a jab, follow with a leg kick, kick the head, shove his thigh with a piston-kick, go for a right cross. Role B) can return fire only after the third strike and finish his own combination while still under attack. Same exercise as above but with both legs and feet making it a touch more irksome because you must also change your distance constantly. 1:30 or 2min rounds. (Yes we also do free sparring but during technique classes it's often either themed, for example altering fouetté & hands against chasse & hands, or feature other limitations. Sparring classes are another case, technique is mostly taught as a warmup and then you go from themed sparring to free sparring until everyone vomits.)

Anaerobic bag work exercise of death:

We do these types of exercises for classes who can't practice technique at a high pace or which incorporate conditioning or when people are preparing for fights (and any other striking art from what I've seen do variations of this). Take two morons and have them hug a heavy bag and give them a combination. Say, jab roundhouse cross hook. Or Jab cross high kick. Nothing too complicated. Start the drill, the other slopehead in question must now without a stop attack the back for 30 or 60 seconds with maximum speed and power while the other holds on to the bag for dear life, then swap the person holding the bag. Four or six minutes (or 15 ahahaha) of this and you have dead people if you can really inspire them to work their butts off. You should also change the combinations once or twice, and when doing a longer bag work of death, shorten turns to 30 seconds to 20 to 15 and finally even to 10.

When I'm conditioning I might go for 2 or 4 x 30 secs of four straight punches after which you must do a burpee or duck and touch your front glove to the ground, 2 x 30 secs of jab+jab+cross+hook and a deep squat or a fast pushup, 4 x 20 secs of altering power body shots and speed hooks, 4 x 15 seconds of simple straights and so on until everyone is properly tired and possibly crying for us to stop. The short rounds have a psychological effect of helping people work at a very high anaerobic level even when on their last legs because they know they can rest soon. It's just that the rest isn't a long one. And do let them catch their breath between "rounds", but that happens naturally while you explain the next bag exercise.

That's a wall of text but having to take the day off of both training and work, sure wasn't trouble writing it down and went through some of the stuff again as a mental exercise while typing. Here's one the better highlight videos around showcasing savateurs applying drills in the 2005 full contact elite championships, posted in this thread a few times but not sure who has seen it.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 25, 2011

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sir, that was an outstanding post and hit on everything I needed. I thank you.

I'm thinking about gearing up to compete again so this is gonna be extremely helpful.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Xguard86 posted:

be careful turning only your head because often that is what they want. Once your head is misaligned with your spine they will lock in the crossface and you are pretty stuck. Turn your head, your shoulders and your hips together.

You may also want to try and get control on the arm that's on your throat and drive it across your body to take them off line so they can't easily turn you over once you get up on your hip.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I'm moving back to school. Does anyone know a decent/good boxing gym around 15-20 minutes from New Brunswick NJ?

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
had sort of a depressing realization last night. I stuck around after open mat and talked with one of the more experienced guys about the quality of training partners. Up til now I have had no discrimination with who I roll with in open mat; I love to roll and I want to get as many in as I can each time so I'll go with anyone and everyone. But a few of the younger guys at our club have the wrong mentality and bring way too much ego with them and treat training as competition. One I posted about before, he has mats at his house and I went to roll with him one day, and after specifically telling him my shoulders are tight and have little range of motion, he repeatedly wrenched them with full force trying to get taps. Another is like 270lbs (I'm ~165) and he gets so frustrated that he can't pass my open guard he just uses all of his weight and brute force to smash and hurt me.

I'm going to do my first competition in October and I want to remain healthy enough to play bjj the rest of my life, so I'm gonna have to start reevaluating who I train with and if that means I only get a couple rolls sometime or none at all, as much as that sucks it'll be worth it in the long run. Very disheartening though

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

that is unfortunate that guys are willfully doing things like that. You should definitively look to avoid training with them.

I remember at white belt and blue We had guys in the academy that everyone our rank would subtly boycott, for whatever reason, and they would sometimes change. Usually, those guys weren't actually mean spirited they just didn't understand what was going on.

The rest usually quit, which is honestly fine too because I don't want someone with that attitude training with me anyway. I'm at purple now and I don't really see it as much because everyone that reaches that level has a decent attitude and the guys looking to be assholes don't get to pick on me.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

mindtwist posted:

had sort of a depressing realization last night. I stuck around after open mat and talked with one of the more experienced guys about the quality of training partners. Up til now I have had no discrimination with who I roll with in open mat; I love to roll and I want to get as many in as I can each time so I'll go with anyone and everyone. But a few of the younger guys at our club have the wrong mentality and bring way too much ego with them and treat training as competition. One I posted about before, he has mats at his house and I went to roll with him one day, and after specifically telling him my shoulders are tight and have little range of motion, he repeatedly wrenched them with full force trying to get taps. Another is like 270lbs (I'm ~165) and he gets so frustrated that he can't pass my open guard he just uses all of his weight and brute force to smash and hurt me.

I'm going to do my first competition in October and I want to remain healthy enough to play bjj the rest of my life, so I'm gonna have to start reevaluating who I train with and if that means I only get a couple rolls sometime or none at all, as much as that sucks it'll be worth it in the long run. Very disheartening though

Man, that sucks dude. It especially sucks that your higher level guys aren't taking the time to beat a little control and sense into them. I know that was basically the first thing I got when I started sparring.

About a month ago I had the dubious pleasure of introducing one of the lower-level guys to sparring, and he pretty much just opened up straight away trying to get in as many hits as he could. I held him off just by knowing a little more and having a little extra experience, but my fingers took a serious beating to the point where I couldn't hold the sword properly anymore and had to just drill technique in the corner for the rest of the class. He was really smug about it too which just made it all the more infuriating that I couldn't grapple him or anything since he was brand new to sparring. Thankfully the dude's chilled out a lot (mostly because people better than me can make super-aggressive people look like idiots) and now he's one of my favourite guys to spar with.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Yes! Just came from practice and I #1 finished my practice fight (first this autumn) #2 was hit in the ribs with a 360 degree spinning back leg whip-kick which came from outer space. And not by a a TKD guy either. #3 Best feeling after practice in weeks (months)!!11

edit:

TheKingslayer posted:

Sir, that was an outstanding post and hit on everything I needed. I thank you.

I'm thinking about gearing up to compete again so this is gonna be extremely helpful.

Was there anything that especially caught your attention? I am (was) quite convinced nobody reading my hugepost could even follow what I'm trying to explain in the drills section because frankly it's hard as heck without pics or video, and that it would in many ways simply confuse MT-guys or boxers thinking that's probably written by someone who trains some mystical form of Kung Fu, unknown to man before now

Ligur fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 26, 2011

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

Xguard86 posted:

I remember at white belt and blue We had guys in the academy that everyone our rank would subtly boycott, for whatever reason, and they would sometimes change. Usually, those guys weren't actually mean spirited they just didn't understand what was going on.

Yeah, I don't think either of the guys in question are consciously malicious, outside of class they're quite friendly and they show me a lot of respect, they're just young and in that stage where they feel like they have a lot to prove. They've both been training longer than I have and I think it dings their egos that I'm starting to catch up and challenge them and they feel like it shouldn't be that way, but I have been training extremely diligently and with the right attitude while they are both pretty inconsistent. They also both have done amateur MMA fights and they're caught up in ridiculously unrealistic fantasies about being professional fighters

Makrond posted:

Man, that sucks dude. It especially sucks that your higher level guys aren't taking the time to beat a little control and sense into them. I know that was basically the first thing I got when I started sparring.

They actually have but these guys are apparently really thickheaded and aren't getting the message. Our 160lb black belt teacher rolled with all of us newbs last week and choked out the 270lb'er so often he complained about his ears ringing and felt sick afterwards, and the only thing he took away from the roll was an offhand comment the teacher made about how big and strong he is. The dude was struggling and refusing to give up and tap to obviously locked in chokes from a world class competitive black belt lol. The other one actually hurt his own shoulders by trying to fight out of completely locked in americanas by a really strong blue belt, instead of just tapping. Totally boneheaded ignorant

I guess it was just a learning experience for me.. I naively expected everyone to be there for fun and to train as a team, and I rolled too many times with the ones that aren't.. just had to get a black eye and hosed up shoulders in the process. that's life though, and eventually they'll either learn that we're on the same team or they'll run out of people to train with

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
This may be one of the worst school websites I've ever seen:

http://www.shinka.ca/index.html

I don't imagine anyone has had any experience here? Is there a way to tell if this is total bullshit? The site doesn't inspire confidence...mostly because they really don't let you know anything until you book a consultation session. I'll probably do so anyway but I guess I'm not sure what to look for or if the website itself is any indication of quality of instruction.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 26, 2011

mewse
May 2, 2006

TollTheHounds posted:

I don't imagine anyone has had any experience here? Is there a way to tell if this is total bullshit? The site doesn't inspire confidence...mostly because they really don't let you know anything until you book a consultation session. I'll probably do so anyway but I guess I'm not sure what to look for or if the website itself is any indication of quality of instruction.

Can't hurt to check it out but..

quote:

Many people ask what martial arts we teach at Shinka. The answer is not so simple to give, actually, as, what we do is different from other schools.

What we do at Shinka is figure out which martial arts combination best suits your body type, your goals, and your mindset. We run our new students through a fun lesson designed to help us help them figure out exactly which styles compliment them.

you'll probably get a lot of exercise v:shobon:v

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

TollTheHounds posted:

Looks very weird... You have no idea of what the instructors trained in ever, they don't say what type of martial arts they offer or when they do, the videos make all this look very sketchy and all this looks like "A fun way to have some exercise and for your kids to get better grades!". I think this gym is meant to cater to soccer moms, out of shape dads and their kids. Which isn't usually a good thing since those people don't know or care about getting good or "real" instruction when it comes to martial arts.

I'd still go, worst thing that could happen is you telling us how hilarious and weird that first one on one session to find "what style best fit you body type!" meeting was. I really hope you try it and make a trip report, I know I would enjoy it!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nierbo posted:

I know I ask a lot of basic questions but I feel like everyone had some sort of basics course in newaza that I missed.

I want this too. I think I just need to cross train some BJJ. I know some moves here and there, pins, turnovers, etc... but I don't have anything close to a "game" on the ground. Not that my stand-up game is that great, but at least I feel like I've got some semblance of a strategy.

edit: I work full time and go to class half time until at least the middle of next year. Once I am finished with school I am adding BJJ into my training. I really can't wait.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Oh christ, there's some student introductory period going on, and we've been chartered to give a workshop on sunday. We've known about this for a while now, but of course last minute everything fall apart. So now I will be teaching a 2 hour class to 25 complete noobs in historical wrestling, dagger and swordfighting, without any assistance.

Done this before, but never a full class, and never without more (experienced) people around. Oh god I hope I don't murder anyone and can make it interesting :ohdear:

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Rhaka posted:

Done this before, but never a full class, and never without more (experienced) people around. Oh god I hope I don't murder anyone and can make it interesting :ohdear:

Split them up into small groups, if necessary tell the rest to sit and watch for a bit.

Also I don't think you're going to be able to do intro to historical wrestling, dagger, and swordfighting in one day... It seems like too much material for any beginner to get.

Speaking from previous experience in fencing, if you need to teach them something en masse have it be something that they can all copy from you and practice at the same time...

Otherwise I would stick with small groups rotating who is practicing and who isn't. (Or having staggered 'start' times so you can start each group and make sure they start correctly...)

Belmont Geoffrion
Sep 25, 2007
o bby
So I just started attending college, and the university has a pretty wide array of clubs and there are about 4 of them dedicated to martial arts. I'm trying to figure out which one would probably be the most practical and would help me get more fit/avoid the freshman 15. There's Aikido, Judo, Bujinkan Taijutsu, and Cuong-Nhu, I'm leaning towards the Aikido or Judo because those are the ones I know the most about, but I was still curious about the other two.

The only other martial arts I've studied is limited to pretty basic Muay Thai, but I had a lot of fun with the classes I went to. Also I'm kind of a little guy (5'3"), so that's probably also important.

Any advice?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Belmont Geoffrion posted:

So I just started attending college, and the university has a pretty wide array of clubs and there are about 4 of them dedicated to martial arts. I'm trying to figure out which one would probably be the most practical and would help me get more fit/avoid the freshman 15. There's Aikido, Judo, Bujinkan Taijutsu, and Cuong-Nhu, I'm leaning towards the Aikido or Judo because those are the ones I know the most about, but I was still curious about the other two.

The only other martial arts I've studied is limited to pretty basic Muay Thai, but I had a lot of fun with the classes I went to. Also I'm kind of a little guy (5'3"), so that's probably also important.

Any advice?

Between those four, I don't there is any question that it's Judo unless its a really crappy club. Go for a few practices and see how you like it. Feel free to check in here if you have any questions you don't feel like asking the people in the club there.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I vote for Judo, too. It's still Judo. You learn to heave people around which is good for everyone to know how to. Aikido is (good) slow athletic movement of the limbs, Bujinkan is playing ninja, Cuong-Nhu (as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong) can be absolutely anything at all - so possibly it isn't anything.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Bujinkan will teach you rolling breakfalls like a motherfucker. I did bujinkan for maybe a year when I was 13 or something, and I've yet to meet anyone who's not a gymnast who has better breakfalls than me. Stick with it long enough and maybe you can jump over more than four chairs before landing in a front roll.

utterly useless beyond that, though. Unless you do martial arts for fun or something. Can you imagine?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Senor P. posted:

Split them up into small groups, if necessary tell the rest to sit and watch for a bit.

Also I don't think you're going to be able to do intro to historical wrestling, dagger, and swordfighting in one day... It seems like too much material for any beginner to get.

Speaking from previous experience in fencing, if you need to teach them something en masse have it be something that they can all copy from you and practice at the same time...

Otherwise I would stick with small groups rotating who is practicing and who isn't. (Or having staggered 'start' times so you can start each group and make sure they start correctly...)

There is a lot of overlap between the wrestling and dagger material, as it all pulls from the same system. My current plan is to do a shared warmup with some basic wrestling thrown in, then splitting the group in two, and have one half doing dagger stuff while the other is swording, then switching halfway through, and ending with some light sparring. Should be able to explain basic strikes and defenses for both, and have them do a bunch of fun drills.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Bohemian Nights posted:

Bujinkan will teach you rolling breakfalls like a motherfucker. I did bujinkan for maybe a year when I was 13 or something, and I've yet to meet anyone who's not a gymnast who has better breakfalls than me. Stick with it long enough and maybe you can jump over more than four chairs before landing in a front roll.

utterly useless beyond that, though. Unless you do martial arts for fun or something. Can you imagine?

But did you get back on training or still feeling a bit down?

Also Bujinkan always appears to be fun as poo poo, no question, even though you would not want to train that for the MMA ring - but most of us don't anyhow. If you go to the right club they'll teach you how to throw powder in the eyes of your enemy, and attack unsuspecting Japanese generals from the ditch. And I'm not being sarcastic, it really can be fun as poo poo. Otherwise so many people would not be doing it.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

As others have said, judo is the easy choice on that list given the criteria of practical and fitness. When you go be sure to leave your pride at the door. You will likely be thrown and pinned quite a bit for the first while.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Chuoung Nhu might be good, but I'd stick with Judo, because it's more likely to be quality and has a great competitive scene.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

Stick with it long enough and maybe you can jump over more than four chairs before landing in a front roll.

Jumping over poo poo competitions own. We always did that for demos. My record was ten people lined up side to side, or 6 people in a 3 person high pyramid. I was only a little above average though, there were guys jumping over 15 people and 4 level pyramids.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Whenever I play tag with my nephew, I dive-roll over him to avoid the tag. It freaks him out and is fun as hell.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
Started back up helping out teaching again and not even 5min there, someone dislocates their knee. Seeing someone knee cap like 2" to left is not a very fun sight.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Out of those, Judo is traditionally the most effective because they do the most sparring/alive training. But I would just go watch a full class of each one and decide that way. In my experience instruction and training style are more important than the art itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Thoguh posted:

Jumping over poo poo competitions own.

They really do. You haven't lived until you've vaulted a horse in 30+ kg of armour :D

• Locked thread