Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lobster God posted:

Boomerjinks posted:

Mother of God.

61-7962 SR-71A Imperial War Museum Duxford

61-7976 SR-71A, National Museum of the USAF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Lobster God posted:

61-7962 SR-71A Imperial War Museum Duxford

Smithsonian SR71 is the best SR71.

SR71 From the Front by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20100913-SR71 From Behind and Above.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Anybody going to Reno? We're starting to plan a trip for the 2012 races, but I'm not sure how many days to plan for or how much to spend. Pit passes are obviously a must, are reserved seats?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well I wasn't... but now maybe...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Advent Horizon posted:

Anybody going to Reno? We're starting to plan a trip for the 2012 races, but I'm not sure how many days to plan for or how much to spend. Pit passes are obviously a must, are reserved seats?

Never been to Reno, but I've been meaning to go for a long time.

Based on what friends have told me, there's five days of racing (Wednesday - Sunday), with a brief airshow after the last race each day. Personally, I'd love to stay all five days, but I would guess that the weekend could be enough for many people. Since it isn't that much more money, I'd say reserved seating is worth it, especially if you go for all five days. Pricing info can be found here.

As for how much to spend, it's Reno aka Baby Las Vegas. I imagine you can spend as little or as much as you want on food, lodging and whatnot.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Tentative plans are Fri-Sun, maybe stay at the Peppermill (which is disturbingly affordable) since the shuttles stop there. I'm curious how the reserved seating works, since I didn't really see any seating charts online.

My wife isn't nearly the nut I am, so that's why only 3 days. Would 2 days be a better bet with a non-nut wife in tow?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

loving hell that is EPIC. Imagine the noise! Not to mention the ground shaking.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

monkeytennis posted:

loving hell that is EPIC. Imagine the noise! Not to mention the ground shaking.

I've had a B-29 (Fifi) and B-24 fly over me at that level and I can't tell you how epic it is. You have no idea.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
BOEING 737 NEWS ZONE

OLD BUSINESS:

Some Canadian bush airline crashed one of their half-dozen 737-200s.

NEW BUSINESS:

Delta ordered a hundred 737-900ERs to replace their old-rear end 757s; while not as big as AA's 460-plane order a few months ago (an order bigger than all but seven airlines), it's still goddamn enormous, and they're all one model.

Since they're an existing model, they can start getting them in 2013, while AA's order includes models of plane (A32x NEO) that won't be ready until 2017. Also: no Airbuses; they're probably going to be the red-headed PMNW stepchild of the fleet going forward.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvDDDKnNhuE
Probably a repost but pertinent.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ack! posted:

Here's a SU-35S doing some nifty flying:
http://youtu.be/ZRV-c4s5vMo

1:49 is amazing.

That is incredible. Absolutely incredible. Do we (the US) have anything that can compete with that sort of manueverability? Granted it seemed relatively low speeds and the pilot was probably Russia's absolute best they have and it had no armament (adding weight), but it just seemed so effortless.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BonzoESC posted:

BOEING 737 NEWS ZONE

OLD BUSINESS:

Some Canadian bush airline crashed one of their half-dozen 737-200s.
Those are old aircraft. A lot of them are hand-me-downs from Westjets original fleet, and some of those were from CP-Airs fleet I wouldn't be surprised if I rode on that plane as a 5 year old.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Those are old aircraft. A lot of them are hand-me-downs from Westjets original fleet, and some of those were from CP-Airs fleet I wouldn't be surprised if I rode on that plane as a 5 year old.

I won't be terribly sad if I never see another -200; I was waiting at MIA once, watching planes go by, and a Bahamasair took off. The low-bypass engines look kind of cool in a retro way, but god drat are they loud, and the visible trail of pollution from them is ghastly.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Bahamasair/Boeing-737-2K5-Adv/1905873/L/&sid=09d2b01b9a385a874e5925581ffe7340

For comparison, a 737-900:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Alaska-Airlines/Boeing-737-990/0856344/L/&sid=b3123b0bba8cfea9c79ea059e0049117

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Alaska Airlines had a few -200 combis until about 5 years ago. They were cargo planes that could carry cargo containers or pallets with seats. You could have up to 6 containers, full seats, or a combination of both. They were interesting to load.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Alaska-Airlines/Boeing-737-210C-Adv/0104386/L/&sid=b1ed2bf9ddb6eff8639279f84de86908

The tube thing on the front-bottom of the engine and the thing behind the nose wheel are anti-FOD equipment. The engine tubes blast air to push dirt and rocks out of the intake path and the nose wheel attachment abates stuff from getting kicked up by the wheel since it often was operated on dirt and low quality runways.

I loaded horses in one once which was a really crazy experience.

edit:
just found this:
http://www.tomsnome.com/akjets.html

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 25, 2011

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

ack! posted:

The tube thing on the front-bottom of the engine and the thing behind the nose wheel are anti-FOD equipment. The engine tubes blast air to push dirt and rocks out of the intake bath and the nose wheel attachment abates stuff from getting kicked up by the wheel since it often was operated on dirt and low quality runways.

Thank you for this photo. I read a description of a similar device years ago in a book about gas turbine engines and never really could visualize it and never saw one as far as I knew.

Another interesting passage from the same book was something like, "...In 1943 Michael Daunt realized it was possible to get sucked into a Meteor inlet..."

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

Thank you for this photo. I read a description of a similar device years ago in a book about gas turbine engines and never really could visualize it and never saw one as far as I knew.
Here's some more info on it from the mother of all 737 sites(I forgot the reason for the tubes and this explains it better):
http://www.b737.org.uk/737original.htm#737-200%20Convertible

quote:

This was an option available for the 737-200 from Feb 1969 and included:

-A deflection ski on the nose gear to keep gravel off the underbelly
-Smaller deflectors on the oversized main gear to prevent damage to the flaps.
-Protective shields over hydraulic tubing and brake cable on the main gear strut.
-Glass fibre reinforced underside of the inboard flaps.
-Teflon based paint on wing and fuselage undersurfaces.
-Strengthened under-fuselage aerials.
-Retractable anti-collision light.
-Anti vortex jets fitted to the engine nacelles. These consisted of a small forward projecting tube blowing bleed air down and forward to break up vortices which could otherwise ingest gravel.

The nose gear unit folds forward as the gear retracts seating into the faring in front of the nose wheel well.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

As far as I know, none of First Air's 737s are second-hand from Westjet; their fleet is a hodge-podge of whatever gravel-kit equipped "Combi" aircraft they could find. As these aircraft are not only uniquely capable but fairly rare as well, they basically have to make do with whatever they can find on the market.

Yes, First Air's 737s are old, but they are probably some of the best-maintained aircraft in the country, flown by some of the best pilots in the country. Considering the challenging environment they operate in, their safety record is nothing short of remarkable.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
What is the average age of a GA aircraft in this country now, 30 years? 40?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ack! posted:

Alaska Airlines had a few -200 combis until about 5 years ago. They were cargo planes that could carry cargo containers or pallets with seats. You could have up to 6 containers, full seats, or a combination of both. They were interesting to load.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Alaska-Airlines/Boeing-737-210C-Adv/0104386/L/&sid=b1ed2bf9ddb6eff8639279f84de86908

The tube thing on the front-bottom of the engine and the thing behind the nose wheel are anti-FOD equipment. The engine tubes blast air to push dirt and rocks out of the intake bath and the nose wheel attachment abates stuff from getting kicked up by the wheel since it often was operated on dirt and low quality runways.

I loaded horses in one once which was a really crazy experience.

edit:
just found this:
http://www.tomsnome.com/akjets.html

Yeah the crazy combi layout & gravel kits never got to the Classic or Next Generation series of 737, so they still use -200s in the frozen North.

Alaska never flies theirs to Miami though; they'd have to make at least one refueling stop on the way to Alaska.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

any bigger version of this?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Tide posted:

That is incredible. Absolutely incredible. Do we (the US) have anything that can compete with that sort of manueverability? Granted it seemed relatively low speeds and the pilot was probably Russia's absolute best they have and it had no armament (adding weight), but it just seemed so effortless.
F-22 could fly circles around it, even with a full combat load and a mediocre pilot who was drunk at the time, possibly even still drinking.

grover fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 26, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The clamshell thrust reversers on the low bypass engines on the -200 are pretty neat.

Thank God people are ditching the 757s. I'm on a BOS-LHR AA 757-2 next month without AVOD :suicide:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

grover posted:

F-22 could fly circles around it, even with a full combat load and a mediocre pilot who was drunk at the time, possibly even still drinking.

Discounting the fact that if it happens in the real world, it will be a stripped down version with a barely trained pilot. Against a 2nd gen F-22 with full air dominance.

Fun to watch, though.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Bonus is they will never even see each other.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Honestly by then we probably will have lasers on everything, so who cares.

Russia is way better at selling dumb poo poo to small countries, I have to hand it to them.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

BonzoESC posted:

I won't be terribly sad if I never see another -200; I was waiting at MIA once, watching planes go by, and a Bahamasair took off. The low-bypass engines look kind of cool in a retro way, but god drat are they loud, and the visible trail of pollution from them is ghastly.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Bahamasair/Boeing-737-2K5-Adv/1905873/L/&sid=09d2b01b9a385a874e5925581ffe7340

For comparison, a 737-900:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Alaska-Airlines/Boeing-737-990/0856344/L/&sid=b3123b0bba8cfea9c79ea059e0049117

Alaska is "special" but, smug afro nixon? :confused:

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

karoshi posted:

Alaska is "special" but, smug afro nixon? :confused:

Eskimo!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Alpine Mustache posted:

Eskimo!

Nope, Afro Nixon.

Actually it's even more like that actor that played Nixon in Dick with an afro,

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I say its happy afro Mel Brooks, and nobody will change my mind.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

732's are things of goddamn beauty.

I'm glad we still see them in YYC with Canadian North.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Bondematt posted:

Nope, Afro Nixon.

Actually it's even more like that actor that played Nixon in Dick with an afro,

Cygni posted:

I say its happy afro Mel Brooks, and nobody will change my mind.

Welp, won't be able to look at their aircraft the same way again.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

BonzoESC posted:

Ah, so that's what they are! The beach I spent a lot of time at on my Bahamas vacation was directly in the flight path to the airport, and good god, those things are easily 2x as loud as every other jet that came over.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
Considering those low-bypass engines have a lag time measured in months, I imagine go-arounds at some Caribbean destinations can be interesting.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Considering those low-bypass engines have a lag time measured in months, I imagine go-arounds at some Caribbean destinations can be interesting.

Wouldn't a high-bypass engine with more rotating mass have an even longer lag? And at the same time, isn't the throttle opened up a bit before landing to spool up the engines for reversing or go-around?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Boat posted:

Ah, so that's what they are! The beach I spent a lot of time at on my Bahamas vacation was directly in the flight path to the airport, and good god, those things are easily 2x as loud as every other jet that came over.

And those low bypass turbofans were a huge advance in sound compared to what came before. I'd give a nut to see/hear an old 707 or DC-8 still equipped with turbojets fly over. I've read the DC-8s equipped with the Rolls Royce Conway turbojets were LOUD.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

BonzoESC posted:

And at the same time, isn't the throttle opened up a bit before landing to spool up the engines for reversing or go-around?

With the flaps, slats, and gear hanging out the aircraft needs to have a higher thrust setting to maintain the proper rate of descent.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

And those low bypass turbofans were a huge advance in sound compared to what came before. I'd give a nut to see/hear an old 707 or DC-8 still equipped with turbojets fly over. I've read the DC-8s equipped with the Rolls Royce Conway turbojets were LOUD.

We haven't had any this year, but over the last few years Calgary would get in the RAF VC-10's. Those were LOUD, setting off car alarms all along the departure path and if you were close enough giving your stomach that queasy rumbling.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

BonzoESC posted:

Wouldn't a high-bypass engine with more rotating mass have an even longer lag? And at the same time, isn't the throttle opened up a bit before landing to spool up the engines for reversing or go-around?

I don't know the exact technical reason, but modern high-bypass engines have almost no lag whatsoever when compared to the old low-bypass ones like on the 707.

Final approach on early heavy jets like the 707 and DC-8 were responsible for creating "stabilized" approaches as we know them. The plane is "dirtied" as much as possible with gear out and flaps extended, allowing the engine to be spooled up slightly to maintain airspeed. This is because if the engine is left in flight idle and a go-around is required, the engine will take so long to spool it could lead to some dented airplanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

BonzoESC posted:

The lag on older jet engines is largely the result of the fairly primitive fuel controls in use at the time. On older turbojets and turbofans, the fuel controls had to limit engine acceleration at lower RPM settings in order to keep the engine from surging.

Newer engines have several advances that let them spool up faster than older models.

Most modern jet engines have a higher "flight idle" speed that they shift to when there's no weight on the landing gear, which keeps the RPM out of the lower range where engine response tends to be the slowest, and their fuel controls are able to monitor engine pressures which allows them to adjust fuel flow during acceleration to prevent surging. In addition to the fuel controls, modern turbofan engines also have a series of "surge valves" installed near the compressor sections that are automatically opened to bleed off excess pressure buildup in the compressor in order to keep an engine surge from happening, or to quickly stop one if it does start.

Also, keep in mind that the core section of modern turbofans are lighter and more powerful than on older models, which allows them to spool up quickly even with the extra mass of the fan to drive.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 26, 2011