Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
Won my fight by unanimous decision. Hoped I would have scoreed a few more kicks to the head or body, but I did dump the guy about a half dozen times. I'll post video when I get it. Got a lot of beer to get back to though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Congratulations.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Makrond posted:

They really do. You haven't lived until you've vaulted a horse in 30+ kg of armour :D

And then slip and land directly in some horseshit. So much polishing D:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TheStampede posted:

Won my fight by unanimous decision. Hoped I would have scoreed a few more kicks to the head or body, but I did dump the guy about a half dozen times. I'll post video when I get it. Got a lot of beer to get back to though.

Hooray! Good job :)

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Hah, the workshop I gave went very well. We had some absolute poo poo weather, so it was cut short a bit, but I managed to have people learn a few disarms, throws and breaks for the dagger/unarmed bits and then do some semi-sparring with it. Sword just stuck to basic striking and guarding with some winding in there, topped off with some very careful sparring, round robin style. Also got a guy helping me out with the swords last minute, simplified matters greatly.

Pretty sure we got some new students out of the whole ordeal, excellent.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheStampede posted:

That's great!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
drat, this makes me want to find a Judo place in my area.

Are most Judo throws gi reliant? Do you do any striking or is it basically just Wrestling with each guy trying to throw the other?

For you BJJ goons do you do a lot of standing take downs or is pretty much everything on the ground?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Belmont Geoffrion posted:

So I just started attending college, and the university has a pretty wide array of clubs and there are about 4 of them dedicated to martial arts. I'm trying to figure out which one would probably be the most practical and would help me get more fit/avoid the freshman 15. There's Aikido, Judo, Bujinkan Taijutsu, and Cuong-Nhu, I'm leaning towards the Aikido or Judo because those are the ones I know the most about, but I was still curious about the other two.

The only other martial arts I've studied is limited to pretty basic Muay Thai, but I had a lot of fun with the classes I went to. Also I'm kind of a little guy (5'3"), so that's probably also important.

Any advice?

Buj is basically a Ninja LARP, but if that's your thing go for it. Aikido has a lot of issues as an actual martial art and I'm not sure how active it is. Judo is probably one of the most effective martial arts out there for a smaller person and it's an olympic sport. I'd go with judo personally.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

-Blackadder- posted:

Are most Judo throws gi reliant? Do you do any striking or is it basically just Wrestling with each guy trying to throw the other?

For you BJJ goons do you do a lot of standing take downs or is pretty much everything on the ground?

You can do most Judo throws in no-gi variations. However most Judo places only teach the gi, don't expect to be doing any no-gi stuff during regular Judo practice.

There is no striking in competitive Judo. If you want to learn how to strike, go to a boxing or kickboxing gym.

For your question about BJJ are you asking about practice or free rolling? At my old gym we would practice some throws and take downs, but the majority of the time we would practice stuff from various positions while already on the ground. During free rolling most people would start from the knees because we often did not have the space to have a whole bunch of guys trying take downs and throws.

At my current gym we have the space to do so, but no one really wants to do take downs or throws since the mats do not dissipate enough force.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I've always wondered why forward throws aren't more popular in MMA given you don't have to mess around in the guard after you get one. They must be just that much harder without the gi.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I feel like forward throws aren't that popular simply because there aren't many people who are adept enough at them to do it safely/consistently. Karo used to do a lot of uchimata and seoinage in his UFC fights. I see a good number of hip tosses and such though. See Frank Mir and Roy Nelson.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Jesus her ippon seionage gives me a boner.

To answer your question, no strikes in judo. Pretty much its two people standing off trying to get grips on each other to execute a throw to put the other guy on his back. Basically that's it. It's so fun you can't ever quit. A lot of stuff in judo would require a gi or at the very least a gi makes it 100 times easier to pull off, but if you wanna convert you can always watch these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdTVTObWeGs

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

Officially we do stand up as well as ground, but most BJJ clubs pretty much just do ground. You'll learn some throws and takedowns but you probably won't practice them enough to make them really work. Most BJJ goons who take it seriously will either do wrestling or judo on the side to help them out in competition.

edit: when I say "officially" I mean "we really don't".

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 29, 2011

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I've been training muay thai in thailand for the past two weeks and have about two more weeks left to go. If you are serious about muay thai you should come here, it's cool.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Officially we do stand up as well as ground, but most BJJ clubs pretty much just do ground. You'll learn some throws and takedowns but you probably won't practice them enough to make them really work. Most BJJ goons who take it seriously will either do wrestling or judo on the side to help them out in competition.

The only BJJ clubs I've worked with that did any standup of note were taught by guys who were also Judo black belts. And even then it was never enough to be any good at it. Crosstraining with Judo/Wrestling/Sambo is usually the only way a BJJ guy would get real standup work.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hey goons, are there any representative in this thread from the Drexel, Penn State or Villanova Judo clubs? I'm in the University of Pittsburgh club and were interested in setting up some duel meets with other Pennsylvania schools. Please PM if you are interested or can put me in touch with someone. Thanks!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

Hey goons, are there any representative in this thread from the Drexel, Penn State or Villanova Judo clubs? I'm in the University of Pittsburgh club and were interested in setting up some duel meets with other Pennsylvania schools. Please PM if you are interested or can put me in touch with someone. Thanks!

You'll probably have a lot better luck on Facebook or their club web pages. USA Judo maintains a list of registered clubs on their website, and the US Collegiate Judo Association can be a resource as well, though only a fraction of collegiate clubs are registered with USCJA.

http://www.facebook.com/!/drexeljudo

http://www.vujudo.com/

http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/judo/

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Yea I've emailed those guys, I was fishing for an offchance that some goons might be involved in their clubs. Well Drexel has already responded, so things are already looking up for intercollegiate Judo!

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

My school is run by someone who used to wrestle and learned BJJ along with it so we do quite a bit of wrestling oriented BJJ. There's also a 250 lbs ex-judo guy who knows a lot of throws and trips and all that cool stuff.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Xguard86 posted:

be careful turning only your head because often that is what they want. Once your head is misaligned with your spine they will lock in the crossface and you are pretty stuck. Turn your head, your shoulders and your hips together.

I did that last night and almost got him off me completely as he sorta lurched over. I didn't quite get the sweep but he didn't do it again so I call that progress.

Also, one of the guys does this choke where he's on his back and I'm in his guard and he cross grips deep in my collar with both hands and tries to choke me that way and he's got me that way a few times before, but I was watching some BJJ dvd last week, even though I don't totally get all of it I have it on and watch it when its slow at home and he said just put your hands on their elbows and push in and it worked like an absolute loving charm. No matter how much he tried to constrict, it didn't take much effort for me to push on his elbows and create space around my neck.

e: Found a terrible picture of what I'm talking about :

When he does that, I press my chest into his so his arms bend and then I put my hands on the outside of his elbows and push them inward.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 30, 2011

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Nierbo posted:

I did that last night and almost got him off me completely as he sorta lurched over. I didn't quite get the sweep but he didn't do it again so I call that progress.

Also, one of the guys does this choke where he's on his back and I'm in his guard and he cross grips deep in my collar with both hands and tries to choke me that way and he's got me that way a few times before, but I was watching some BJJ dvd last week, even though I don't totally get all of it I have it on and watch it when its slow at home and he said just put your hands on their elbows and push in and it worked like an absolute loving charm. No matter how much he tried to constrict, it didn't take much effort for me to push on his elbows and create space around my neck.

e: Found a terrible picture of what I'm talking about :

When he does that, I press my chest into his so his arms bend and then I put my hands on the outside of his elbows and push them inward.

It only delays the choke. Most people don't get their hands deep enough into the collar to properly apply the choke, so they have to flair the elbows more to apply pressure. Pressing into his chest will actually deepen the choke when it's properly applied. Your partner is too focused on driving with his arms instead of finishing by turning his wrists, flexing his back, and getting proper hip escape and angle. Pressing into the elbows can buy you a second to think about breaking his grip or swimming inside though.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

awkward_turtle posted:

It only delays the choke. Most people don't get their hands deep enough into the collar to properly apply the choke, so they have to flair the elbows more to apply pressure. Pressing into his chest will actually deepen the choke when it's properly applied. Your partner is too focused on driving with his arms instead of finishing by turning his wrists, flexing his back, and getting proper hip escape and angle. Pressing into the elbows can buy you a second to think about breaking his grip or swimming inside though.

Oh.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
So, I got in my second physical altercation in public, this time with someone who I was confident I could kick their rear end despite them being a tad bigger than me, for they were fairly drunk and I was stone sober.

In short drunk guy had his back to me talking to a different group of people I was with at a small Jaz festival (not my choice to attend it), my girlfriend phoned me whilst I was talking to this other group with my back to him.

He turned round and got in my face about calling the Police on him, I tried to calm him down and even showed him my phones screen to show it wasn't the Police but a girls name. He then got in the face of another girl I was with saying how I was an rear end in a top hat so I pushed him back and told him to gently caress off. He came forward again, I pushed him back again, he then through a massive looping right hand punch at me that I easily ducked under, thought about going for the double leg and planting him but instead just shoved him whilst he was so massively off balance from throwing such a telegraphed punch and being drunk.

He went flying, a good 3 or 4 meters, crashed into some people and fell into a table and then got up again, I didn't move forward and instead just held at my hand and shouted aggressively "stay the gently caress back, get back, get back" (I have no idea why I shouted this and didn't say something better), at one point he looked like he was going to come forward again so I did a small boxing shuffle and got my hands ready again (mostly to try and calm myself down and try and think), and I think he changed his mind from this and walked away. A few people congratulated me, my heart was racing for a good 15 minutes afterwards and I felt horrible, embarrassed and kind of sick. The girls I was with said it was the best moment of the night and thought it was more funny than anything and claimed that at no point did they think I was in any danger. Their confidence in me was nice, but it did nothing to change the fact that inside my head I shat bricks.

I am confused by my actions for a number of reasons.

1) I didn't throw and punches or in any way chase up to hurt him or take him out for good with some ground and pound, which may have been more sensible considering he got back up and thought about coming at me again, putting me in more danger. I am fairly confident I could easily have followed the shove up with something and knocked him out, but I had no instinct to do so what so ever, I just wanted him to be far away and leave me alone, with as little physical altercation as possible. In hindsight it worked but it may have not been the most sensible thing, I had literally 0 killer instinct.

2) I have no idea where what I was shouting came from or why I was shouting it.

3) My hands were shaking afterwards and it felt like my whole body was as well, I wish I could stay calmer physically and mentally during things like that.

4) If my shove hadn't of worked of he had somehow grabbed me I have no idea what I would of done, I literally wasn't thinking. I like to think my dirty boxing would of come out, but at that close range I don't think I have the power or accuracy to knock someone out, in which case I hope I would of gone for a clinch ala

but I have no idea what I would actually have done had something different happened, I was not thinking and it was all happening so fast.

How do I get better at dealing with these kinds of things?

Sorry if I'm rambling but it was really odd and my friends are of no real use and I'm not training at the moment so I can't talk to anyone about it really.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Actually it was a good thing that you instinctively deescalated the situation by not punching him but instead creating distance and giving him opportunity to step down.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

niethan posted:

Actually it was a good thing that you instinctively deescalated the situation by not punching him but instead creating distance and giving him opportunity to step down.

Yea, but a bit of me is worried that if he had come at me again, would I have still not wanted to have punched him. I don't feel I was making concious decisions at all, it all just sort of happened, and then afterwards I'm thinking, why did I do that like that, why did I shout like that etc etc?

Yes it worked out for the best, but he just of easily could of decided to have another go, this time with a better punch or something, and looking back it would of been so easy to attack while he was on his back.

Also it may have taught him more of a lesson and been far more satisfying and decisive for me, as is he got off pretty drat lightly.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
No he didn't get off lightly he botched a punch for everyone to see and then you shoved him on his rear end and everybody laughed at him. You aren't in the israeli military there's no need for you to kill him.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

niethan is right, you handled that situation perfectly whether you wanted it to happen that way or not. You didn't get hurt, you protected yourself and others, and you defused the situation quickly. Don't second guess a perfect solution.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Nierbo posted:

Oh.
Going one step further, flairing the elbows to finish that choke is lazy bad technique. You may still get the tap if you are physically stronger than your opponent but it stops you being able to apply the choke properly by wrist curling. A good instructor will correct people who don't keep their elbows together when learning this choke.

The best defense is to look up, defend your neck and don't let him get that deep in the first place.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
nigga u soft

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
that's a good thing if you want to amount to something in life...i train with people who get into fights every other weekend and they're pitiful.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

willie_dee posted:

Sorry if I'm rambling but it was really odd and my friends are of no real use and I'm not training at the moment so I can't talk to anyone about it really.

Have you read/watched any Geoff Thompson stuff? It sounds exactly like the sort of thing you're looking for. I think "the art of fighting without fighting" is the one you want. Might be available online, it's far from recent. He has DVDs too, but yeah, he goes into this kind of fight psychology stuff, posturing and fight escalation and stuff.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

willie_dee posted:

But you handled it well :) If you are wondering what would make you stay calm during and after, without the shaking hands and what have you, unfortunately the only surefire way is getting into more of these situations where you need to use force and/or de-escalate. (That, and taking competing in fights where people attempt to strike your head off because then some random drunk is not going to worry you, you'd be more worried for him.)

Which 99% of us don't really want to get into anyway. And that's because were not loving nuts, so be glad you don't. Well ok competing in full contact MA's isn't by default nuts.

The last thing you'd want in civilian life is to translate competitive ring killer-instinct into some offensive drunk and find yourself ground and pounding or kneeing someone at the Jazz festival. I hear the damages (and the jail) are not that fun to deal with, for your wallet nor your head. You did perfect, don't mind the rather emotional state after.

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

willie man, you did the right thing and stopped this guy without anybody getting hurt. even the queasiness you felt afterwards is completely normal, because these situations should never happen. you should never have to defend yourself, but you did, admirably.

if you had "killer instinct" in that situation you would have just opened yourself up for assault charges

e:

niethan posted:

You aren't in the israeli military there's no need for you to kill him.

:roflolmao:

mewse fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 30, 2011

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Well played not destroying the guy. He was just wastes and dumb.

Your body responded well considering the guy could have done anything. Pulled a knife, had friends jump on you, etc. It's truly a dangerous situation.

But at those times your training and muscle memory will take over. Once again, good on ya for doing the right thing.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
A man really wants a cheeseburger and a hipster guy uses some entry level bjj on him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h611G3z8IZU

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
UFC is not real life, whatsoever. Best thing you can do is diffuse the situation and walk away. Real life fighting ends up with everyone in jail, and if convicted, you being absolutely hosed everytime you have to explain "oh I beat the poo poo out of a guy" on a job application.

You done good son.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
To the guy who had an altercation in the streets. What happened is the best outcome possible. You didn't gently caress anyone up, the guy was humiliated and everything got defused real quick. Don't over think this.

qwako posted:

A man really wants a cheeseburger and a hipster guy uses some entry level bjj on him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h611G3z8IZU

I like this video everytime I see it. The fact that everyone is laughing at the fat guy and the employees keep working and don't react much adds so much to it.

--

Last judo class at the new club tonight, going back to my "real" club in two weeks, can't wait! I hope I learn another new thing tonight, switching club for the summer was the best idea and made me learn so much new stuff that I would never have seen otherwise.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 30, 2011

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
How much fun can you have?! We did pistols or one legged squats yesterday for warmup and balancing. (Sorry about... the... video, I know there's better ones but somehow I ended posting that one. I can't imagine why.) Had to skip technique today because my thighs and buttocks felt a LITTLE TIGHT.

Hope cardio with the blood circulation today soaks off the damage. But gently caress pistols, that was worse than the time we did 100 burpees for grappling.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ligur posted:

one legged squats yesterday for warmup and balancing. (Sorry about... the... video, I know there's better ones but somehow I ended posting that one.

I think I know why :v: :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KingColliwog posted:

I think I know why :v: :flashfap:

i domt know whay yiou tr takyn abiut

ps im typing with my keft hand

• Locked thread