Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

I grew up/got into rap during the turn of the millenium too and I'm sure I'm a minority here but that era p. diddy was one of the reasons I fell in love with hiphop. I also was really into what all the DMXs and Ja Rules were doing at the time. That whole backpacker stuff never really caught my attention and I'm white as hell. What I liked (and still like) about hiphop was the arrogance and all jewlery and cars and girls and drugs those guys were showin off and talking about.

Sometimes I play The Rub mixes from around 99 to 01 and it gets me more hype than any drug ever could

I remember playing the gently caress out of my SOURCE Awards 1999 CD. It had Juvenile, Jay Z, Silkk, the best method Man song (the one with D'angelo), BEP before Fergie, everything that made 1999 kick rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt

JesusSinfulHands posted:

when did the cunninlynguists do an alphabet track?

im assuming he means blackalicious

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

One Be Lo had an alphabet track forever ago, fwiw (think it was on project fetus). Also he released Laborhood pt. 2 and has an actual album dropping next week, dude's putting in some serious work.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn
hey now Alphabetical Slaughter is like the only good Papoose song, at least let him have that much...

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

alansmithee posted:

One Be Lo had an alphabet track forever ago, fwiw (think it was on project fetus). Also he released Laborhood pt. 2 and has an actual album dropping next week, dude's putting in some serious work.

Alphabet Soup.

Ay B! You C what I mean?

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

glorp posted:

im assuming he means blackalicious

You are correct sir.

The best OneBeLo alphabet line is definitely off K.G.B. tho: "Alphabetically, I'm coming after you/U like the letter V" Had to rewind that whole verse like 5 times first time I heard it.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
this is actually almost better than the blackalicious track in terms of being embarrassed for still listening to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd8agfCf71s

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Posting here instead of the "where do I start" thread: What's a good starting album for Cunninlynguists and Atmosphere? Is Atmosphere even good I know literally nothing about the group and only heard about them on a friend's last.fm page.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
So why exactly did Weezy diss Jay? It's not like anything Jay said on HAM was false, and it wasn't even directed at him. Am I missing something here?

tyrseil
Oct 12, 2004

by angerbot

A Typical Goon posted:

So why exactly did Weezy diss Jay? It's not like anything Jay said on HAM was false, and it wasn't even directed at him. Am I missing something here?

Hov went at his daddy.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Fun Times! posted:

Posting here instead of the "where do I start" thread: What's a good starting album for Cunninlynguists and Atmosphere? Is Atmosphere even good I know literally nothing about the group and only heard about them on a friend's last.fm page.

That's good cause I know I never read that thread! I'm not the most familiar with either catalog, but I can tell you that I enjoyed both When Life Gives You Lemons You Paint That poo poo Gold from Atmosphere and A Strange Journey Volume 1 from the Cunninlynguists. Some people at the start of this thread were saying good things about the newest Cunninlynguists, Oneirology, too, but I haven't listened to it. As for Atmosphere, personally I think they're alright though imo Slug is a little bit better rapper than Ant is a producer. He's actually featured on A Strange Journey Vol. 1 and sounds nice over Kno's beat. Cunninlynguists have been accused of trying too hard to be mid-period OutKast and do get a lot of Dungeon Family guests but if you really like ATLiens and Aquemini that could be a good thing I guess?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Atmosphere is great and everyone should listen to them. Hope this helps

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

Never really liked Cunninlynguists much, tbh. But I would agree that they're very similar to ATLiens style Outkast. A budget version, but similar nonetheless.

As for Atmosphere I'd check out Lucy Ford and You Can't Believe How Much Fun We're Having. If you like the first stick to their earlier stuff (p much everything up to and including sevens travels). I think they kinda had a big shift in style around that time (mostly in production). When Life Gives You Lemons... is a really good album, but I'd check out the two I named first just to see which style you prefer. Also fwiw I liked a lot of the seasonal Sad Clown Bad Dub mixtapes (winter, spring, fall, summer). You'll also get a lot of differing opinions on them, Slug got famous for making weepy "emo" rap songs on the first two Atmosphere albums (along with being a former Anticon dude) so a lot of people who haven't even listened to any of their stuff started hating on them. But like I mentioned they kinda went away from that style (there's still some stuff like that but imo the beats are hitting harder in general at this point). Also don't mean for this to be insulting but it just occurred to me that Slug is kinda similar to Billy Joel in a lot of his non-bragging music (slightly bitter everyman stories).

Long story short, like what you like.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 30, 2011

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions dudes, looks like I have a nice week ahead of me. :whatup:

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

A Typical Goon posted:

Jay dissed Birdman, and he's Wayne's birddaddy so he had to do what any good song what would do.

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must
I would hope all yall constantly on your Worldstarhiphop poo poo but just in case you aren't.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhr5ng4RAh0QYAE7q8

Also Kreayshawn nudes

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

OK so like several months ago someone posted a video of some NY rapper (I think he was repping the Bronx or some poo poo) but it sampled that obnoxious Kernkraft 400 song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYJP93wQ7lM). It wasn't the Lil Jon one.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
its the game and yes they sampled that goddamnit :gonk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSAwWrbdoEQ&ob=av3e

although sounds like you heard a freestyle over it or something

http://allbeatz.blogspot.com/2011/04/va-got-instrumentals-24-kush-edition.html

here's the instrumental, produced by cool & dre

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 31, 2011

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

they actually play this Paul and Juicy instrumental on kickoffs sometimes at Bryant-Denny here in Tuscaloosa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLOTtHXz2-A

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

thunderthief posted:

its the game and yes they sampled that goddamnit :gonk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSAwWrbdoEQ&ob=av3e

although sounds like you heard a freestyle over it or something

http://allbeatz.blogspot.com/2011/04/va-got-instrumentals-24-kush-edition.html

here's the instrumental, produced by cool & dre

Nah it had a music video and poo poo. I'll figure this out.

warzero.
Jan 4, 2007

Ooooh WEE, That's how I sound, so C'MON ERR-BODY LET'S ALL GET DOWN.

A Typical Goon posted:

what song did he diss him in?

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

warzero. posted:

what song did he diss him in?

One on Carter IV I guess (I only listened to the Interlude yo).

On another note, if you're anything like me you have a gang of mixtapes you downloaded, listened to maybe one or two tracks of, and then forgot about. Go give one a second chance! I'm listening to Aleon Craft's Stargazing and it's pretty alright and certainly different. Oh, and I hope everyone had a good Bun B day :)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
You guys are listening to A. Samuels right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjvlrf0OM3M&feature=youtu.be

Cause he is living the life.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

OK so like several months ago someone posted a video of some NY rapper (I think he was repping the Bronx or some poo poo) but it sampled that obnoxious Kernkraft 400 song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYJP93wQ7lM). It wasn't the Lil Jon one.

i posted it in the phiz thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUkng3thrAk

this version is actually far better to the weezy/game one after hearing both. still an awful sample tho

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

chopper city posted:

I would hope all yall constantly on your Worldstarhiphop poo poo but just in case you aren't.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhr5ng4RAh0QYAE7q8

This is great - is he always on point like this?

Edit:

I always liked Charles Hamilton (remember him?) over that Kernkraft song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yJ8EEUhAQk

NeuroticErotica fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 31, 2011

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I am looking for some good glitchhop. I have heard all of edIT's albums, and I prefer Certified Air Raid Material because of addition of The Grouch, adding a great lyrical element to some great songs.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Was there a Last King 2 discussion that I missed? I'm just now getting through it, it's really growing on me. The Bun B collabs are the best those two really compliment each other well.

Pimps - Holy gently caress the production on this song..

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Robert Analog posted:

the way Bun rides this beat :stare:

awesome

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Jock Mocken posted:

One on Carter IV I guess (I only listened to the Interlude yo).

On another note, if you're anything like me you have a gang of mixtapes you downloaded, listened to maybe one or two tracks of, and then forgot about. Go give one a second chance! I'm listening to Aleon Craft's Stargazing and it's pretty alright and certainly different. Oh, and I hope everyone had a good Bun B day :)

Yeah I always get stuff in batches and things get caught up and forgotten about. Both the new One Be Lo tapes are cool, although some material is old (the aforementioned alphabet song is the same lyrics as the one on Project Fetus, but with a different beat). Still 2 albums in about a month, another next week, and supposedly one 9 months after that is a lot of output in a short time.

New Wale tape came out, he's still about the same dude imo. Production's a bit shaky and he's not quite as whiny as I thought he sounded on more about nothing, but he's still well on the way to becoming DC's answer to Ras Kass so good for him.

New Main Attrakionz came out and it's not bad. I really like a lot of their production and they got this odd super-sincere style on a lot of their songs or w/e but aren't anything special lyrically.

Danny Brown's been talked about some but imo XXX is the best rap album this year so far. More I listen to it the better it sounds, and it would be cool if he started getting some real traction.

New Uptown XO is real good, very much like his last album so if you enjoyed it I'd check for it. There's enough tweaks to the production and he's different enough to avoid the 90's NY throwback label I'd probably otherwise give him, but if you haven't heard him and like that type of stuff you'd probably enjoy his music. A lot more "traditional" production (samples & drums) and he's better than the majority of dudes lyrically imo (but that's not saying much tbh).

Curren$y's growing on me. His production seems to vary a lot from album to album and he's a lot better rhyming than I gave him credit for. Hennessy Beach is a chill-rear end song.

Lil B also has a new album out. It's a Lil B album.

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

NeuroticErotica posted:

This is great - is he always on point like this?

No clue to be honest I can't find anything on this guy anywhere, and by anywhere I mean datpiff.

I haven't listened to Verde Whatever the new Curren$y is Young Roddy on it anywhere? :3: I seriously hope he blows up. Young Roddy 2012 Freshman Draft Pick

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Fun Times! posted:

I would totally start with Cunnin's Oneirology album its supa dope.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
i got a confession yall I been criminally slept on Cunninlynguists and am currently in the process of fixing that by copping their more critically acclaimed albums

what you hear here, when you leave here, let it stay here

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

chopper city posted:

I haven't listened to Verde Whatever the new Curren$y is Young Roddy on it anywhere? :3: I seriously hope he blows up. Young Roddy 2012 Freshman Draft Pick

Yeah he's on a track with Trademark and he has a solo song doing a remake of the 10 crack commandments. All my friends at school we're always puttin on Curren$y and I only knew him from Cash Money. Dude's reallllly growing on me now and he's been in my top plays for a while. I recommend everyone get Pilot Talk 1 n 2 if you guys are sleeping on it. Masterpiece mixtapes.

WHOLE DIK AND NUTS
Aug 18, 2011

by Duchess Gummybuns
Yeah I don't see the problem with Cunninglynguists sounding like Aquemini era Outkast, if anything that's good.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

WHOLE DIK AND NUTS posted:

Yeah I don't see the problem with Cunninglynguists sounding like Aquemini era Outkast, if anything that's good.

Kast was all about innovation and originality, and aping their style doesn't exactly offer either of those.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Here have a couple songs by some unknown rappers from SF:

Trap House Booming, by Smurf Lucci, Davey D and a bunch of other dudes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olreoGtNIa0

Grow Up, by D3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4jIV7E33jQ&feature=related

also, Cunninlynguists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp7z_CgFJpI

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008

Robert Analog posted:

Was there a Last King 2 discussion that I missed? I'm just now getting through it, it's really growing on me. The Bun B collabs are the best those two really compliment each other well.

This mixtape is sick. Chris Brown is on a song though? Dude is popping up all over, trying to appear all "credible". Not on my watch Chris!

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

Big KRIT and Bun B need to always work together from now on.

Bun B is the loving Barry White of hip-hop.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

Ya'll know that Last King 2 was more of a compilation of stuff KRIT has done recently than an actual project right? There's only a couple songs that are only on there; "Pimps" is actually a Tity Boi* song and has a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1HEN3t3SIc

Is it just me or does Bun look really awkward here?

*who I guess is just gonna go by 2 Chainz now? Can't blame him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Smith
Aug 23, 2011

Jock Mocken posted:

Kast was all about innovation and originality, and aping their style doesn't exactly offer either of those.
Sure, but neither of those are what makes Cunninlynguists good anyway.

alansmithee posted:

Curren$y's growing on me. His production seems to vary a lot from album to album and he's a lot better rhyming than I gave him credit for. Hennessy Beach is a chill-rear end song.

I need to give Weekend at Burnie's a listen. Ski's production on the Pilot Talk albums is loving fantastic. As long as Curren$y is rapping over beats like that, he's a lot of fun to listen to.

Power Smith fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 1, 2011

• Locked thread