Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

NOW I FACE OUT
I HOLD OUT
I REACH OUT TO THE TRUTH OF MY LIFE

42 full resolution screens of Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena. CLICK THE PICTURE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Policenaut posted:

NOW I FACE OUT
I HOLD OUT

42 full resolution screens of Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena. CLICK THE PICTURE.

There's a customization option for whether or not the characters will wear their glasses when fighting. Hahaha.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chie looks so happy that she's about to get stabbed with a lightning sword.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

There's a customization option for whether or not the characters will wear their glasses when fighting. Hahaha.

I hope there are several glasses to choose from, just for the possibility of the moustache + nose glasses.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ImpAtom posted:

Chie looks so happy that she's about to get stabbed with a lightning sword.

Oh god drat it I spent like 5 minutes trying to pick the flashiest screenshot with the most going on and I don't even notice Chie smiling with a mental case.

But hey customization owns. More sunglasses!

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Chie seems to be wearing that smile in every screenshot... she's just so happy to be beating the poo poo out of people apparently. I notice Yosuke is looking towards the camera in quite a few of the shots too.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Is this the multiplayer aspect they were talking about? I can't read Japanese, but they kinda look like help messages to me.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Eggn0g posted:

Is this the multiplayer aspect they were talking about? I can't read Japanese, but they kinda look like help messages to me.

They're all messages of encouragement ("Good luck!", "Don't give up!" etc.) with Japanese names/handles below them, so yeah - this seems to be the online thing.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Finally you can go online to tell a complete stranger to not give up on playing a videogame.

The future is now. :allears:

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Technique posted:

Finally you can go online to tell a complete stranger to not give up on playing a videogame.

The future is now. :allears:

Gonna be a supportive motherfucker when this comes out.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Its like everyone's mom leaving a note in your lunch on the first day of school :unsmith:.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The real Persona 4 starts here.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Man, the screenshots for the Vita look amazing. :allears: I didn't even know Persona 4 HAD textures like that. Or maybe they redid them for the remake...?

I didn't like how the characters looked animated, but I think I'm getting used to it now.

Pureauthor posted:

I can't help but hope there'll be options to put glasses on the Persona 3 characters, too.

MotU posted:

I hope there are several glasses to choose from, just for the possibility of the moustache + nose glasses.
YES.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
That's definitely Kanji on the roster there. As well as... Yukiko? I think? Odd that the only P3 character we've seen is Aigis, though, since I'm pretty sure P3 is way more popular than P4 in Japan.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Here's a comparison.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The important question is will the teachers get portraits??

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Okay, if P4P is actually using Devil Survivor's system, I'm loving sold. Why did it take you so long to get on that Atlus? Seriously, Devil Survivor was in like 2009, Strange Journey, P3P, Persona PSP, and (presumably) P2: IS didn't use it, and they all came out at the same time or after it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Artix74 posted:

Okay, if P4P is actually using Devil Survivor's system, I'm loving sold. Why did it take you so long to get on that Atlus? Seriously, Devil Survivor was in like 2009, Strange Journey, P3P, Persona PSP, and (presumably) P2: IS didn't use it, and they all came out at the same time or after it.

What do you mean by this?

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

Policenaut posted:

NOW I FACE OUT
I HOLD OUT

I don't know what it says about me or this game that the first thing I notice is that Rise's face in the corner there doesn't have that gradient all over it that Soejima is so goddamn fond of using.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Welp, now that there's a fighter spinoff, how long until the Super Robot Wars-esque srpg featuring characters from various SMT games?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

redreader posted:

What do you mean by this?

I think he means being able to choose which abilities a spawned Personae will inherit when you fuse 2+ "seed" personae together.

Aigis, where's your ribbon? That tie doesn't go with that outfit. :smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blhue posted:

Welp, now that there's a fighter spinoff, how long until the Super Robot Wars-esque srpg featuring characters from various SMT games?
Include Etrian Odyssey and Trauma Center characters and that's a day one for me.

Actually it'd be day one either way but.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Blhue posted:

Super Dimension Fortress Mara to be added to the next SRW title.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Artix74 posted:

IS doesn't use it because IS is catalog shopping, not fusion.
(You can totally add Spell Cards though)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How did SMT: Imagine turn out? I'm assuming it's tanked since I haven't heard anything about it.

I'm trying to play the original SMT, but it keeps crashing during one of the battles. :smith: I just wanna get through...

vv Just judging by the music Imagine has, I already love it. SMT I and II battle theme remixes!!!

SMT I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RwfUi4g5ho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4FCVGR6mpQ (boss)

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 7, 2011

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Pollyanna posted:

How did SMT: Imagine turn out? I'm assuming it's tanked since I haven't heard anything about it.

I'm trying to play the original SMT, but it keeps crashing during one of the battles. :smith: I just wanna get through...

Are you talking about the MMO? It's been F2P for a long time. I played a bit of it, and actually liked it, but one thing killed it for me. When you move the camera, the character doesn't orient to follow the camera (ie. using the camera to turn your character). I found it pretty unfun to control as a result.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HarveyVdarski posted:

Or you can just go to the Persona 3 wiki and look up the boss levels and make each party member that level.

And how exactly would this knowledge help him? He still needs to grind regardless of his knowledge of boss levels.

And man those shots are amazing, really making me want a vita.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

It's being severely mismanaged, as always. :gbsmith: (We just got an equipment set that grants a skill that only works in one dungeon, but that dungeon hasn't even been implemented yet despite months of promises :) )

It's still an OK game though. Kinda wish they'd put it on Steam so i could earn achievements and trade macca for TF2 hats.

(And speaking of SMT1, am i the only one who would kill for an IRL version of Takeshi's sweet camo trenchcoat? :allears: )

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Technique posted:

It's being severely mismanaged, as always. :gbsmith: (We just got an equipment set that grants a skill that only works in one dungeon, but that dungeon hasn't even been implemented yet despite months of promises :) )

It's still an OK game though. Kinda wish they'd put it on Steam so i could earn achievements and trade macca for TF2 hats.

(And speaking of SMT1, am i the only one who would kill for an IRL version of Takeshi's sweet camo trenchcoat? :allears: )

Aww. :smith: It sounds like it has a shitload of promise to it. Oh well.

Speaking of, is there a good shot of the SMT 1 main character's default armor anywhere? Like it is on the cover, green pants, steel shoulder-thingies, etc. I'm curious, cause it looks familiar for some reason.

vvv Looks a bit different, but essentially, yes. I wonder where I've seen it before?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 7, 2011

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Aww. :smith: It sounds like it has a shitload of promise to it. Oh well.

Speaking of, is there a good shot of the SMT 1 main character's default armor anywhere? Like it is on the cover, green pants, steel shoulder-thingies, etc. I'm curious, cause it looks familiar for some reason.

This?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I was playing P3P and my friend asks me what game I'm playing.

"It's called Persona."
"What's it about?"
"You kill demons by shooting yourself in the head."
"Really?! Dude, that's pretty metal."
"Yeah, look at this guy. He's a skeleton with scythe."
"Holy poo poo!"

It's great to have friends who react to games like these with such awe.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Endorph posted:

Include Etrian Odyssey and Trauma Center characters and that's a day one for me.

Actually it'd be day one either way but.

Actually, I've been wondering about Etrian Odyssey. Would it be worth trying, if I liked, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey? I don't know that much about EO, except it has nice art, and is a dungeon crawler like SJ...but since I've played Strange Journey, I actually sort of like GOOD dungeon crawlers with good atmosphere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Catalina posted:

Actually, I've been wondering about Etrian Odyssey. Would it be worth trying, if I liked, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey? I don't know that much about EO, except it has nice art, and is a dungeon crawler like SJ...but since I've played Strange Journey, I actually sort of like GOOD dungeon crawlers with good atmosphere.

If you liked SJ, you should at least give EO a try. They're similar-but-different but EO has a much better map system.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Catalina posted:

As a proper dungeon crawler, the EO series is much, much better than SJ. You don't have the demon system, but there's a good variety of classes, the dungeons are well-designed (especially if you're diligent about mapping and look for secret passages), and it's occasionally quite difficult but not unreasonable. Even on the one or two floors per game that are teleport-based, the ability to mark on-map and in-game that teleport A goes to spot B makes it reasonable instead of incredibly irritating. On-map enemies, or FOEs, also make exploring more interesting.

EO2 is essentially a revision and refinement of EO1 with a new dungeon and story, while EO3 completely changes the class system and adds some new systems, generally to the better. If you only get one, I'd suggest EO3, but I think EO2 is also quite good.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Technique posted:

This?

That's not the default armour; that's what he gets following the Kongokai. This is what he's wearing at first. I imagine, however, that Pollyanna was referring to this instead.

E; My biggest issue with EO is that, in the first one at least, if you don't use specific classes and give them specific skills some fights are just flat out impossible. I don't remember anything like that occurring until the post-game content which made it an even bigger "gently caress you."

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 7, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Hey folks. I've been playing the 3DS SMT game a lot and it's my first SMT game, but I already kind of finding myself craving more. All the different mini-series confuse me. What game should I buy??

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Catalina posted:

III's definitely my favorite. I dig the tropical setting and the new classes. It also hits a nice balance between the first game's "You win battles through attrition" and the second game's "You better kill the enemy and fast before it OHOKs your whole party."

Um, but you may want to hold off on buying any of them until after TGS though. Rumors are going around that they're gonna announce a new EO game, so you might want to make sure it isn't gonna be a 3DS port like Devil Survivor Overclock.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Hey folks. I've been playing the 3DS SMT game a lot and it's my first SMT game, but I already kind of finding myself craving more. All the different mini-series confuse me. What game should I buy??

All of them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Ummm, depends. What interests you most out of what you've seen so far?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You'll get a lot of different answers, especially in this thread. Almost all of them are worth playing, but I'd say Persona 3 FES or Persona 4 are good entry points. Neither requires knowledge of their predecessors and both do a good job of introducing you to series-wide gameplay concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Axle_Stukov posted:

Before I fully scrolled down the page, this looked like the MC and Yosuke were holding hands and Chie and Dojima were all like "what up with that?".