Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Augmented Dickey posted:

The Trip 35 is a decent camera, but the price seems pretty steep for something so basic. For that amount of cash you should be able to find a Rollei 35.
I'd really like a Rollei 35, but the prices on ebay right now seem to be pushing towards $200.

Also: 24 KARAT GOLD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DividedFrame
Apr 3, 2010
I bought myself an Olympus 35RC on eBay last night, so while I eagerly wait for it to arrive, I figured that this would be the best place to ask what exactly I've gotten myself into. Namely:

1. Do I need to get a battery? I want to shoot in full manual mode, but how do I figure out what to make the shutter speed? Any tips on the Sunny 16 rule would be great. I'm totally comfortable using an SLR, so I don't need to be spoon-fed any camera theory or anything.

2. Film. I've never really used it. What kind should I buy? Where do I get it developed? Should I do it myself? Go somewhere like Target or Costco, or use an online mail-in service? I'm in Phoenix, if anyone knows a local place.

3. I'll be moving to Japan next month, so any tips about shooting film over there would be greatly appreciated. Or tips on traveling with film.

Thanks!

DividedFrame fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 29, 2011

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

BOOM Olympus Trip 35 bought and paid for on ebay for the massive sum of........ £5 including P&P!

Now what film should I throw in this baby?

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Sevn posted:

I am very interested in seeing your pics. The Klasse S is floating around everywhere here and I am wondering if it is worth paying the price.

I dropped the colour off to get developed the other day, but I've been lazy about the B&W. I'll get a couple rolls developed tomorrow night so I can put up some photos for you guys. Not so sure if the photos will push you into deciding one way or another, but I do have to say that the resolution of my scanner really lets down the sharpness of the lens, a problem I never had so much with the XA.

the hassler
Nov 1, 2004

kiss me i'm todd it
Oh why am I just finding this thread now?

I love my point and shoots. Currently have a Yashica T4super, Contax T2 and an Olympus Trip 35.

Have also owned a
Ricoh GR1s
Olympus Stylus epic
Konica Hexar AF
Olympus XA

Yashica T4

Untitled by Brett Fryzuk, on Flickr

Konica Hexar AF

Contax T2

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

the hassler posted:

Yashica T4

This pictures still owns.

DividedFrame
Apr 3, 2010

the hassler posted:

Amazing pictures

Wow, those are uniformly fantastic.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone had any issues with film winding on their XA2? I decided to go balls to the wall on my vacation this past week and just shoot everything with my XA2 instead of my DSLR. I ended up shooting about 5 rolls (getting them developed tomorrow).

Towards the end of the last two rolls (frame 28 or so to be precise) the XA2 stopped winding correctly. It would only wind half way and then there would be resistance. I tried to force it the first time it happened and ended up breaking the film, and thus just winding the whole thing in and leaving about 6 frames blank. The second time I tried winding it back a bit and then advancing the roll, or hitting the little button at the bottom, but nothing really seemed to work. The mechanism looks fine when theres no film in it, I don't get whats going on.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

Has anyone had any issues with film winding on their XA2? I decided to go balls to the wall on my vacation this past week and just shoot everything with my XA2 instead of my DSLR. I ended up shooting about 5 rolls (getting them developed tomorrow).

Towards the end of the last two rolls (frame 28 or so to be precise) the XA2 stopped winding correctly. It would only wind half way and then there would be resistance. I tried to force it the first time it happened and ended up breaking the film, and thus just winding the whole thing in and leaving about 6 frames blank. The second time I tried winding it back a bit and then advancing the roll, or hitting the little button at the bottom, but nothing really seemed to work. The mechanism looks fine when theres no film in it, I don't get whats going on.

Just recently bought one and I had the same issue. Not really sure what ended up fixing it, but I opened up the back and GENTLY pressed/pushed some levers. Try pushing on whatever is above the small button on the bottom.

I realize this is terribly vague advice, but whatever I did worked. YMMV

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

Awkward Davies posted:

No solution or reason here, just saying i have exactly the same problem (frame 20ish for me) and piggybacking your cry for help.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
XA's in general just seem to have Soviet-camera levels of reliability.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
My XA drowned in the ocean and it still works perfectly :colbert:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
XA>XA2

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hunh, that's too bad. It's my favorite little point and shoot. Time to try and find another one I guess.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

TheLastManStanding posted:

My XA drowned in the ocean and it still works perfectly :colbert:

Your shutter button is going to die :(

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

brad industry posted:

Your shutter button is going to die :(

?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The shutter buttons are electronically triggered and if they get wet they die eventually. I think the XA2s are worse about this - I've killed two by shooting in the rain.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
It did kill it, but I brought it back to life. I had to open it up, clean it out and it's worked flawlessly ever since.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Got my Olympus Trip 35 in the post today!

Aperture is fully working, the low light indicator is working which means the selenium is fine, loaded in a dirt cheap roll of Tudor 200 film and we'll see if it leaks any!

Will post a "Trip" :) report soon...

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AceClown posted:

Aperture is fully working, the low light indicator is working which means the selenium is fine, loaded in a dirt cheap roll of Tudor 200 film and we'll see if it leaks any!

Will post a "Trip" :) report soon...

How much did you get it for? There's one with 0 bids about to expire on ebay which I was eyeing to replace my apparently borked XA2.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

brad industry posted:

The shutter buttons are electronically triggered and if they get wet they die eventually. I think the XA2s are worse about this - I've killed two by shooting in the rain.
Olympus mju II to the rescue

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

How much did you get it for? There's one with 0 bids about to expire on ebay which I was eyeing to replace my apparently borked XA2.

I got mine for a steal at about £3.50 including P&P which is a steal seeing as they go normally for about £30-£40.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I just got me one Olympus XA3 (with flash pack) and the well-loved Olympus Stylus Epic - looking forward to play around with them!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I can pick up an Olympus Stylus Epic for $6 if I want it, but it has been dropped and the lens doesn't erect(...?) when you open the sliding cover.
Anyone know if this is an easy fix?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dead Alice posted:

I can pick up an Olympus Stylus Epic for $6 if I want it, but it has been dropped and the lens doesn't erect(...?) when you open the sliding cover.
Anyone know if this is an easy fix?

No. Not worth it considering the price of buying another Stylus Epic.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
8 rolls through my brand new £600 Klasse S and it's just stopped working with the lens stuck open :/

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

I HATE CARS posted:

8 rolls through my brand new £600 Klasse S and it's just stopped working with the lens stuck open :/

Use your derby hat as a shutter like the Old Masters

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Trip report!

Kinda rushed through this film as I wanted to ssee if there were any light leaks or problems with the camera, absolutely perfect, no issue with anything at all.

Olympus Trip 35 - Tudor 200 - No PP by AceClown79, on Flickr

No post at all on these, got them developed straight to CD by a local place. Cost a fair bit Film was £2 and dev to CD was £4.50 so all in £6.50 for 36 pictures.

If it wasn't for the cost I'd seriously consider going all film...

charel
Apr 11, 2009

the hassler posted:

Oh why am I just finding this thread now?

Are you mustard gas on tumblr? I've wanted to buy a print of that first picture ever since I first saw it, name your price for a 12x8.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

charel posted:

Are you mustard gas on tumblr? I've wanted to buy a print of that first picture ever since I first saw it, name your price for a 12x8.
Ditto

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I'd really like a Rollei 35, but the prices on ebay right now seem to be pushing towards $200.

Keep your eye out for the Schneider-Kreuznach S-Xenar version. The lenses are identical to the Tessar version but collectors find them less desirable, so they tend to go for a bit less.

Machinegun Arm!
Oct 22, 2008

It's been a ruff day
So based on this thread, I decided to buy a camera for the first time in my life. I picked up a Konica Big Mini off of my local Craigslist and have been having a hell of a time with it. I just got my first roll back, and was pretty happy with about half of it, and quite liked a few of the shots. Having now purchased a bunch of cheap film on eBay, I'm realizing that I've committed to this thing pretty hard for someone who doesn't know what he's doing. Which is good! But makes me a little nervous.

That all being said, I was wondering if any of you could give me some (very) basic advice on things like composition, film choice, etc., or just point me to a place where I could find some. I tried googleing for photography tips, but all of the results were horrible. Also, I think I'll mostly be shooting color, but am not against getting B&W advice (in fact, the reason I'm mostly shooting in color is because I at first tried B&W and was completely baffled about what would make a good shot. If you all can get me competent at B&W, that'd be awesome).

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Machinegun Arm! posted:

So based on this thread, I decided to buy a camera for the first time in my life. I picked up a Konica Big Mini off of my local Craigslist and have been having a hell of a time with it. I just got my first roll back, and was pretty happy with about half of it, and quite liked a few of the shots. Having now purchased a bunch of cheap film on eBay, I'm realizing that I've committed to this thing pretty hard for someone who doesn't know what he's doing. Which is good! But makes me a little nervous.

That all being said, I was wondering if any of you could give me some (very) basic advice on things like composition, film choice, etc., or just point me to a place where I could find some. I tried googleing for photography tips, but all of the results were horrible. Also, I think I'll mostly be shooting color, but am not against getting B&W advice (in fact, the reason I'm mostly shooting in color is because I at first tried B&W and was completely baffled about what would make a good shot. If you all can get me competent at B&W, that'd be awesome).

Photo.net has an excellent guide to photography basics:

http://photo.net/learn/making-photographs/

Check the first page of the film thread in this forum- someone wrote an awesome guide to developing b&w. It's extremely simple after you've developed five or so rolls.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Augmented Dickey posted:

Keep your eye out for the Schneider-Kreuznach S-Xenar version. The lenses are identical to the Tessar version but collectors find them less desirable, so they tend to go for a bit less.

Wow, now that's pompous. Schneider is simply one of the best manufacturers out there, on par with Rollei or Zeiss. Unit variation is going to be much higher than per-manufacturer variation. If they're really cheaper, that's just giving away money.

I have a Rollei 35S. The meter is averaging, and overall not a whole lot better than Sunny-16. The camera is scale-focus, un-ergonomic, and generally a pain to use. But when you nail focus (or stop down) and hold the camera steady, the images are great, I'd say on par with the best lenses out there. I think you really need to get to 1/125 for the lenses to really shine, below that, I seem to shake too much for them to really deliver their best (they are still excellent). I expect the Tessars/Xenars would be 95% as good at a much better price.

e: KEH has a EX S-Xenar for $189 and a Sonnar for $199, so they're not a whole lot cheaper there.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 13, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

Mine has sentimental value since it was a hand-me-down from my dad.
The best cameras.

AceClown posted:

I've got the technically better 35RD, but those trips look so brilliant. Also the best film to throw in a 35mm P&S is always garbage medium speed color film.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 14, 2011

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
My wife was digging around in some boxes and found her old compact which she has now passed on to me. It is a Nikon zoom 310 AF and according to her it is probably loving terrible but I'm going to run some film through it anyway. So far all I can tell is that it has the loudest zoom I've ever heard on anything in the history of ever. Discrete it is not. Anybody have any experience of this probably terrible camera?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I hate this thread and I hate you all.

I'm bidding on more PS 35 mm cameras than anything else on eBay right now (canon canonet 28 rangefinder) and it's costing me a fortune in film but drat if this isn't rekindling my love of photography.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

AceClown posted:

I hate this thread and I hate you all.

I'm bidding on more PS 35 mm cameras than anything else on eBay right now (canon canonet 28 rangefinder) and it's costing me a fortune in film but drat if this isn't rekindling my love of photography.

Thread validated :love:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Thread validated :love:

:D

Has anyone tried one of those DIY TLR things that's all over eBay? They look like a fun project for a wintery weekend but if there trash I'll not bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I've half wanted one ever since Tokyo Camera Style posted about them, but never quite felt like spending that much on a camera with a cheap plastic lens.

http://tokyocamerastyle.com/post/307793498/okubo-this-is-a-35mm-tlr-camera-which-comes-as-a

• Locked thread