Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ImperialGuard posted:

Speaking of SRK, why do the guys in what is basically their stick subforum :spergin: out when they see 8-button layouts?

Rokstar, I'm with you on trying that. American parts don't fit in a TE without extreme modification. I already have a bat-top for my TE's JLF, clearly this could be done easily.
Yeah, altogether it took me just under an hour, and that includes the time I spent learning how to do it and the time spent taking the spring out of my other JLF. So it's a really quick job if you know what you're doing.

I have some Seimitsu springs on order too, so I'll probably play around with those next. :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImperialGuard posted:

Speaking of SRK, why do the guys in what is basically their stick subforum :spergin: out when they see 8-button layouts?

Rokstar, I'm with you on trying that. American parts don't fit in a TE without extreme modification. I already have a bat-top for my TE's JLF, clearly this could be done easily.

You could just buy a replacement top plate from that one guy with the holes cut for a happ/il competition stick.

That's not that extreme

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Popehoist posted:

The PC version we're getting is 4 revisions along from the PS2 version. After the PS2 version we had MBAA ver.A, Current Code, Current Code 1.05, and we'll be getting 1.07. There's quite a lot of differences, and if you're intending to actually play the game with friends there's not much point to buying the PS2 version much like there's little point to buying SF4 or BBCT these days.

Wow, thats quite a bit more updates than I realized. Any word yet on the game on its own yet? I really would rather not buy Carnival Phantasm just to get the game.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Heres some stick pics from recent trade show

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Gotta get me some of those panda buttons.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur

The Rokstar posted:

I put a second spring in my JLF and swapped out the gate for an octo-gate because I'm trying to replicate the feel of an American joystick. What is wrong with me :ohdear:

okay okay okay, i see this all the time and i have no loving idea where it came from

even before they purchase a stick, guys are all, 'oh i'm sure i'll hate square gate, i need an octo gate like america an octo gate would be best, it's what i'm used to'

AMERICAN MACHINES HAVE ROUND GATES. I can't even name a machine offhand I've ever seen with an octagonal gate.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Spaceship Zero posted:

okay okay okay, i see this all the time and i have no loving idea where it came from

even before they purchase a stick, guys are all, 'oh i'm sure i'll hate square gate, i need an octo gate like america an octo gate would be best, it's what i'm used to'

AMERICAN MACHINES HAVE ROUND GATES. I can't even name a machine offhand I've ever seen with an octagonal gate.

Octagonal is closer to round than square is.

But it does beg the question as to why they don't just buy circle gates. There's plenty of places to buy those now.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Brett824 posted:

But it does beg the question as to why they don't just buy circle gates. There's plenty of places to buy those now.

Circle gates suck if the stick is not 100% nailed to the ground.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Circle gates suck if the stick is not 100% nailed to the ground.

Well if you're really trying to replicate the feel of playing on an American arcade machine you should probably also play with your stick on the floor/another chair anyway.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur

Brett824 posted:

That's my whole point. I never ever heard anyone say 'oh i'm gonna get a round gate', it's always octagonal. And the reason given is almost always 'it's what i'm used to playing on from my days as an american arcade rat' or somesuch. Hell, until madcatz released the te and everyone and their mom started stick modding, I didn't even know there was such a thing as an octo gate. Where did this fad come from

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Spaceship Zero posted:

Where did this fad come from

Bad players thinking they'll magically get better if they play on something closer to the world warrior cab at the 7-11 when they were six years old and had no idea what was happening.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think I went through the entire lineup of seimitsu sticks until i just said gently caress it and went with a regular jlf

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
im a bad player btw

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
CrossCounter Live is on with special guest Clackwork.
http://www.justin.tv/thestreamdottv#/w/1799385840

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

Robolizard! posted:

You could just buy a replacement top plate from that one guy with the holes cut for a happ/il competition stick.

That's not that extreme
I think I've seen those, but the thing is, American joysticks do not have clearance to fit in a TE unless you basically cut the shaft in half and move stuff around as needed. That's what I was talking about with "extreme modification."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lowclock posted:

CrossCounter Live is on with special guest Clackwork.
http://www.justin.tv/thestreamdottv#/w/1799385840

Oh god ahahahahahah Mike Ross produced the video.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Lynx Winters posted:

Bad players thinking they'll magically get better if they play on something closer to the world warrior cab at the 7-11 when they were six years old and had no idea what was happening.

maybe they play grapplers and are bad and ride the gates like me

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah so I'm probably gonna go back to the square gate because the octo gate is loving me up but I'm going to keep the springs the way they are. You guys can rest easy now that I have given you this update. :)

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I wonder what server Clockwork played on in FFXI :allears:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Metrohunter posted:

maybe they play grapplers and are bad and ride the gates like me

Good luck playing charge characters on a circle gate. Guile's U1 is borderline impossible.

vvvv I didn't know that for like ages after I played Vanilla 4 on PC. It still makes diagonals a bitch.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 21, 2011

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
One thing I have to say I like about pad is there is ALMOST no such thing as a bad pad. poo poo like Octogates and circles only take about 10-15minutes to get used to. Main problem I have with Octo's especially is it feels like I'm using a bad stick and I have to ride the gates to get stuff to work right, problem with circle gates is they require you to be mad precise on your inputs.

PalmTreeFun posted:

Good luck playing charge characters on a circle gate. Guile's U1 is borderline impossible.

Not really inputs in SFIV are super lax so you can do cheesy stuff like hold downback roll to down forward roll to up back boom, most of my problems actually come from jumping at the wrong angles or loving up IADs.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Robolizard! posted:

im a bad player btw
Yeah me too. Wanna be friends?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImperialGuard posted:

I think I've seen those, but the thing is, American joysticks do not have clearance to fit in a TE unless you basically cut the shaft in half and move stuff around as needed. That's what I was talking about with "extreme modification."

Dandy J fit one with just some small spacers on the bottom plate. This was before they made that new top plate so there might be enough clearance now w/o those. I'm asking right now!

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 21, 2011

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I tend to play with an LS-55 because the JLF feels kind of tight and cramped to me, but the LS-55 is hard to play anime games with cause its a fair bit slower for dashing and IADing and all this other stuff.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
It blows my mind how hard it is to get a Xbox360 Madcatz TE Fightstick in Canada. Any suggestions? Amazon.ca is all out right now.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
You could try here: http://gamesharkstore.ca/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4761&idCategory=336

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Broken Loose posted:

Cue 3 loving hours of Shadow Dio short hop crossup tick/wakeup throw 4-hit resets and mixups. I didn't even realize there was a crossup until fight 6 or so because his stand was obscuring my character (and I was too busy freaking out over the high-low mixup and then trying to tech throw mixups). I have never met a more unhelpful person in my life.

The only advice he ever gave me was "pushblock the jab" at which point he baited my goddamn pushblock and killed me. Fucker.

More people than just fei play, but these days not many people idle there - they just check and then leave. I know I've been guilty of this - going to play vampire savior if no one is around. Fei's gameplay is pretty much 99% tick throw setups, and leaning on characters with high damage single hits/OSes from throw. I'm sorry to hear he wasn't useful when you asked him questions. I honestly think he doesn't mean to troll, but... I dunno. He just doesn't make the effort to explain or doesn't occur to him to do so.

Dyne is a good player mechanically speaking but you'll hate the game too if you only play against him - for largely different reasons.

One advantage is if you play him a lot, you'll get really good with throws in instant throw games like jojos/vsav/sf2 throws.

It's been a long time since I played much vs S. Dio, so I can't remember. I want to say that the stand isn't actually technically an overhead and some characters will duck it completely, but it's been a long time, and for all I know Fei's setups will avoid that.

Cinroth posted:

sf2feilong is a professional salt miner and probably the number one reason why people on ggpo abandon their bizarre adventures with Jojo so quickly. Don't let him get to you and try playing some other more helpful people. Fayk can probably namedrop some cool dudes. I haven't played for awhile so I'm not sure who's active these days but some people I used to play were jedpossum, matt_ca or something I forget his name (hella salty guy) and gamegeezer who's a million times better than me but a cool dude.

There's also the german shin-god level players like toki and ATG that hang out who might be more helpful. I played ATG a long time ago and while he bodied me repeatedly he was always able to answer any question I had.

Lots of people are willing to answer questions, some may be less useful about offering up advice (some people don't like unsolicited advice sadly) than others. Ideally, you'd get to play Gamegeezer - or maybe me. Geezer is he's a nice guy in general, and one of the more generally skilled US players of the game.

Otherwise, the longer term players would be like gato (his internet acts up sometimes though), or jedpossum.

Roukyou is good but not around regularly anymore. Roadapple is good but he's pretty much left the game to play vampire savior only. MattCA doesn't really play any more, off in college land. There are a lot of random people who pass through, but a lot of them don't stay for long, especially if they lose.

These people are semi-regulars, too: 1weapon, Chrisdom, yoop, Godsbeard, Josef Joestar, etc, at varying skill levels. I'm probably blanking on a few.

Check the wiki ( http://wiki.standcrash.com ) but it's incomplete sadly.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 21, 2011

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Kuai posted:

I wonder what server Clockwork played on in FFXI :allears:

http://twitter.com/!/mvcClockw0rk/status/116593486668627968

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
You must defeat sf2feilong to stand a chance. :madmax:

Broken Loose if you want to defeat sf2feilong pick Hol Horse and shoot him in the head. :downsgun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8_LSW4QIiU&feature=feedf#t=1m55s

Eventually though most matches with sf2feilong tend to devolve into what you see at 17:28

Cinroth fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 22, 2011

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers fans -- DCC 6 is this weekend folks. I have no idea what the schedule is, but I think it might be streamed here http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sakamotosan based on the SRK thread.

http://www.vampire-dcc.com/

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan

Fayk posted:

Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers fans -- DCC 6 is this weekend folks. I have no idea what the schedule is, but I think it might be streamed here http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sakamotosan based on the SRK thread.

http://www.vampire-dcc.com/

Queue sasquatch, Q-bee and Victor's butt throw for 3 hours straight.

Why no Zabel love? :cry:

Either way I'm going to be glued to the internet this weekend

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Defect Mechanism posted:

Queue sasquatch, Q-bee and Victor's butt throw for 3 hours straight.

Why no Zabel love? :cry:

Either way I'm going to be glued to the internet this weekend

You're complaining about not enough people picking THE top tier character? I'm now in bizarro-world.

From the participant page, if I'm reading it right, there are plenty of Zabels, only one Anakaris (or three) and one victor (OBORO!!!) (or two).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I just got vsav for saturn, gonna try and play some of it this halloween season. I hate to be that guy but I kinda like gallon. I play fuckin 3s chun, mvc3 wolverine.. god drat it I am such a tier whore.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

I just got vsav for saturn, gonna try and play some of it this halloween season. I hate to be that guy but I kinda like gallon. I play fuckin 3s chun, mvc3 wolverine.. god drat it I am such a tier whore.

Gallon is solid but he's not actually the top. He's just easy to pick up and be effective with combined with hard for new players to punish. He's not really 'unfair' in any way. People just feel like he's a scrub magnet - their words, not mine.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Fayk posted:

Gallon is solid but he's not actually the top. He's just easy to pick up and be effective with combined with hard for new players to punish. He's not really 'unfair' in any way. People just feel like he's a scrub magnet - their words, not mine.

I've never played Darkstalkers with people who know how to play. Tell me, how do Robot and Pyro fare in the charts?

I always felt robot was cheap (due to his lazer, hover jump, rocket spam, etc), is he?

Also, is Pyro a fair character? How high is he in the tier list?

I remember playing this game a real long ago, but couldn't find people to enjoy it with :( (my GGPO has a lot of latency too :()

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I've never played Darkstalkers with people who know how to play. Tell me, how do Robot and Pyro fare in the charts?

I always felt robot was cheap (due to his lazer, hover jump, rocket spam, etc), is he?

Also, is Pyro a fair character? How high is he in the tier list?

I remember playing this game a real long ago, but couldn't find people to enjoy it with :( (my GGPO has a lot of latency too :()

they're not on the charts since those characters are only in the home ports of VSav :)

And yeah I played some Saturn VSav at a FG meet a couple weeks ago at my college and when I told one dude I played Talbain he just went "I HATE him" but it was all good

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
They're technically in arcade VSav2 also, but that actually removed three characters. I don't remember which ones, but Huitzil, Pyron, and Donovan got put in in their place. VSav2 is Japan-only anyway. :spergin:

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan

PalmTreeFun posted:

VSav2 is Japan-only anyway. :spergin:

In arcades yes. Darkstalkers 3 for Ps1 had all characters except for Dee, who was just a pallet swapped Donovan anyway.

YFDHippo
May 2, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lynx Winters posted:

I do magically play better :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Lynx Winters posted:

Nah, people are just naturally heavy-handed and ride the gate.

• Locked thread