Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Dana Crysalis posted:

How was the first Rune Factory Frontier? With Tides having been pushed back, I have been considering playing the first one to kill time, but I thought I remembered hearing it wasn't that great.

I honestly really liked it. The criticisms are fair, and if you have a modded Wii you're going to want to make sure to use the cheat to get infinite runeys because holy poo poo runey management is just a pain in the rear end, but it's still a fantastic game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
So I went to five stores. FIVE STORES. All of the stores that carry DS games in this city. And none of them had Tale of Two Towns. :argh: One got a new Barbie game in today. But not Harvest Moon.

Amazon it is.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

DuckPuncher posted:

So I went to five stores. FIVE STORES. All of the stores that carry DS games in this city. And none of them had Tale of Two Towns. :argh: One got a new Barbie game in today. But not Harvest Moon.

Amazon it is.

If you are not completely pissed off check tomorrow; some parts of the country are not getting the shipment in until today or tomorrow.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DuckPuncher posted:

Amazon it is.

You made me all excited but apparently in Canada it doesn't come out until the 22nd.

3DS version comes out on the 11th of October :(

Dangit I want to raise my 3D Alpacas. And bees. So many bees.

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
I was going to get the 3DS version, but eh, they didn't really do enough to it to warrant a $10 extra purchase.

I Watson posted:

If you are not completely pissed off check tomorrow; some parts of the country are not getting the shipment in until today or tomorrow.

Nah, I'm just going to order it off of Amazon. Better use my free 2-day shipping while it lasts. It'll be here Thursday, good enough!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Dangit I want to raise my 3D Alpacas. And bees. So many bees.

:ohdear: "Please sir, stop breeding bees! You've already crashed the local honey market due to rampant over supply. What are you trying to accomplish?"

:geno: "More bees. The hive must grow."

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
Wait, there are bees?

drat you, Fogu! Hurry up and finish the ToTT site! :argh: I don't care about the bachelorettes, tell me about the BEES!

DuckPuncher fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 20, 2011

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
...Can you marry the bees?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
My first impressions of Harvest Moon DS: The Tale of Two Towns are not pleasant.

The first issue is just a matter of aesthetics. The style isn't quite my thing, and it isn't helped by the incredibly cramped feeling I get. I could probably adjust to this but...

I can't find any drat options screen, and the game's insistence on making a noise for e a c h a n d e v e r y l e t t e r of dialogue pisses me off. I can't even find an option for instant/fast text.

On the other side, the music is pleasant enough.

I'm gonna give it another try, but I might be tempted to switch back to Grand Bazaar or the excellent Rune Factory 3 if I can't turn those drat text noises off.

I hope this isn't a title I have to return right away. I mean, I'm disliking it even before I hit the mechanics of gameplay, but I do have RF3, so I'm not compelled to dig in.

Edit: On DS vs 3DS version: http://www.fogu.com/hm10/ds_vs_3ds.php
Apparently, the DS version is lower resolution. What I might consider a shoddy port, considering the style just feels stupidly cramped on the DS.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 20, 2011

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
Question: Is there a shipped items list? Please tell me there's a shipped items list.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Even though the Gamestop "Hi this is Alex! :downs:" phonecall said the game was coming in tomorrow I was able to pick it up today.

A+ for the plush Llama alone. The game itself will have to wait.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

LordSloth posted:

I can't find any drat options screen, and the game's insistence on making a noise for e a c h a n d e v e r y l e t t e r of dialogue pisses me off. I can't even find an option for instant/fast text.

Can't you hit/hold B? I was just mashing B on my Japanese one when it got into the more serious walls of text.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Oh, wow, you guys, the alpaca is the most adorable thing.

I don't know if this is true of all the stuffed alpacas, but mine has a bump under his mouth that makes it look like he's pouting. :3:

Ok, time to play the actual game, now!

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

zachol posted:

Can't you hit/hold B? I was just mashing B on my Japanese one when it got into the more serious walls of text.

It does make the text go faster, but it beeps faster too. I don't find it that obnoxious, but I can see how some might.

"First, let me tell you how to move" FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU LET ME GET TO MY ALPACAS AND BEES!

Stormageddon fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 21, 2011

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Weird, I find it kinda cute. It's like they're talking in very lo-fi simlish. Sometimes I time tapping B to go with the background music so it's like they're singing along.

hrhbhblrhrhbhbhrhbllrhbhlrhb
bhbhbhlhbhbhrhrhrhhbhbh?
bhbhbhhbhbrhb
bhbhbhbhbhbhbhbhbhrhbhrhbhbhhrh!
brlbh

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I'm liking Tale of Two Towns so far - although it's kind of boggling how big the mountain/forest area is.

Also, d'aw, Saint Bernards.

Edit: And does anyone know how many cows/chickens/sheep/alpacas you can have in Bluebell? I googled and checked Ushi no Tane but it's not coming up.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 21, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Can someone take a picture of their preorder Alpaca? I'm curious to see it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Kipory posted:

"First, let me tell you how to move" FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU LET ME GET TO MY ALPACAS AND BEES!

It is pretty frustrating that there isn't an option for 'Yes I know how to play goddamn Harvest Moon just let me at the farm already'. It's not like this isn't a hugely popular ongoing series.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LordSloth posted:

Edit: On DS vs 3DS version: http://www.fogu.com/hm10/ds_vs_3ds.php
Apparently, the DS version is lower resolution. What I might consider a shoddy port, considering the style just feels stupidly cramped on the DS.

The DS version was always gonna have a lower resolution, the screen is smaller. Also, I daresay this began its life as a DS game and the 3DS version is the port.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Well Harvest Goons, I don't know what to grow or charge for the entance fee yet, but here is my Friends Code for the Multiplayer Field:

0733-7477-5598

The game is OK so far, not the worst one I've played in the series. I like the horse and cart system and would love to see that applied to a much larger world map.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Both versions of RF: Tides of Destiny have been officially pushed back to October 11th.

Natsume posted:

Currently Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny Wii & PS3 are in production. They will not be available at retail on the 27th of September, however they will arrive October 11th. Unfortunately this is the busy time of year when a lot of companies are producing titles; we have to wait our turn.
http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/Natsume_Inc/~8JOuW

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Can someone take a picture of their preorder Alpaca? I'm curious to see it.

Here's mine:

I feel it's the cutest of my HM preorder livestock. Even cuter than my cow who has only one horn for some reason!

Just look at that face. :3:

So, for people who have been playing, how about that Howard guy? Don't suppose he's a marriage candidate, to you? :bigtran:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
That's the cutest goddamn animal I have ever seen.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

drat it, Gamestop hasn't even shipped mine yet and have yet to respond to my queries. I want my alpaca. :smith:

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
I forgot how g o d d a m n long it takes to get through all the preliminary stuff on TT. Stop coming to my house. Yes I know how to catch bugs. On the very bright side, running is now L button toggle on/off. Praise be to whoever changed that.

But I feel kind of spoiled by RF3. It is such an amazing and full game that going back to HM and its 'saying the same thing every single day' characters feels... like a step in the wrong direction. a bloo bloo bloo

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

I forgot how g o d d a m n long it takes to get through all the preliminary stuff on TT. Stop coming to my house. Yes I know how to catch bugs. On the very bright side, running is now L button toggle on/off. Praise be to whoever changed that.

But I feel kind of spoiled by RF3. It is such an amazing and full game that going back to HM and its 'saying the same thing every single day' characters feels... like a step in the wrong direction. a bloo bloo bloo

Does ToTT have the same item stacking mechanic like RF3, or is it back to the old pick one item up, put in rucksack, repeat deal?

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
Is it just me or did amazon remove the us version of tides of destiny from the site?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Is it just me or did amazon remove the us version of tides of destiny from the site?

Looks like they did, yeah.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Agnostic watermelon posted:

That is so incredibly bizarre. I still have my preorder open too.

Maybe the localization isn't going as fast as they thought it would be and they're scrambling to reschedule.

Odd that Amazon would remove the listing entirely.

EDIT: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058VI2LA

That's the url it gives me when I try to click on the product name from my preorder.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I loving the hell out of Tale of Two Towns. It's pretty much an improved in every way version of Grand Bazaar. And the huge mountain help takes care of the "wasting time till I can re-water the crops" problem!

My only real complaint is holy poo poo are the marriageable townsfolk boring. Do I want to hook up with the guy obsessed with farming, the guy obsessed with flowers, or the guy obsessed with horses? My loins quiver in excitement! :swoon:

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
That's why I'm playing as a dude.

Anyway, I'm almost through the first month, and I, too, am loving the hell out of Tale of Two Towns. I love having a whole messload of stuff to spend my cash on, as opposed to the Rune Factory games, and am currently sitting at 4g (by the end of the first month in Rune Factory 3, I'd be over 50k). Then again, I'm limiting myself to ten crops and however many animals the Konohana farm will allow me, and buying crackers whenever I can. The only thing I don't like is having to pick one item up. Put it in the bag. Pick it up. Put it in the bag. Aaargh.

So does anyone know how long fertilizer lasts?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Julet Esqu posted:

草泥馬

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

DuckPuncher posted:

That's why I'm playing as a dude.

Then your choices are a girl obsessed with farming, a girl obsessed with flowers, or the girl obsessed with horses! :downs:

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
gently caress that, I'm marrying the Oracle. :colbert:

Also, I'm really not liking these team-based cooking festivals. Some idiot brought in a failed dish for the first dessert one and screwed us over. :argh:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

DuckPuncher posted:

gently caress that, I'm marrying the Oracle. :colbert:

Also, I'm really not liking these team-based cooking festivals. Some idiot brought in a failed dish for the first dessert one and screwed us over. :argh:

Same here. Even with the mayor slipping me five-star ingredients for the first few contests it really is random if you win or not.

Pierre tasted my town's food: Two "Eh" and a "Not bad".

Pierre tasted the other town's food: Two "Eh" and a "I LOVE THIS DISH!"

My town won. :psyduck:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't know how different it is in the crop village, but the livestock village beginning sequence was really slow and boring. You start with one cow and one chicken, and thus can only get one milk and one egg for a while. I probably should have bought an adult cow instead of a baby cow. Still, you only had about an hours worth of stuff to do at the farm each day, the rest of it was just wandering around and trying to catch fish or something. Now that I can grow a few crops there as well things will probably pick up. But man, those first 15 days are pretty drat tedious.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Also on the note of the cooking festival, is anyone else having a hard time making herb soup?

It's just Chamomile + Onion but every time I try making it I get a failed dish over and over. What the hell?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know how different it is in the crop village, but the livestock village beginning sequence was really slow and boring. You start with one cow and one chicken, and thus can only get one milk and one egg for a while. I probably should have bought an adult cow instead of a baby cow. Still, you only had about an hours worth of stuff to do at the farm each day, the rest of it was just wandering around and trying to catch fish or something. Now that I can grow a few crops there as well things will probably pick up. But man, those first 15 days are pretty drat tedious.

It's pretty much the same in the farming village too. All you can do is use that time to pick the mountains bare and start saving up your money. By the end of the first month I had about 10k in savings and a nicer cart.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Are you using your pot as well?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Julet Esqu posted:

Are you using your pot as well?

Yeah. Still a failed dish. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
Are you making sure the pot appears in the checked-off list of ingredients?

• Locked thread