Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

OptimusMatrix posted:

haven't seen this one yet of the crash.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=68d_1316458488

Holy poo poo.

Look, I feel really terrible for everyone hurt or killed.

I also feel really terrible because The Galloping Ghost was so goddamned beautiful. This fucks with me a bit, because the sound it makes before crashing isn't terrifying to me, in fact it sounds beautiful. It sounds REALLY GOOD. It's after the crash where the audio is no longer beautiful.

I don't want to feel like a dick for being so bummed out about the demise of the GG, but c'mon, it really bums me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

WildFoxMedia posted:

I think to create some good vibes in hopes of the air races being there next year we should organize a 2012 Reno Air Races goon meet...

I do believe this was planned or did they go this year? :ohdear:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

SwimNurd posted:

I do believe this was planned or did they go this year? :ohdear:

I was asking about it a month ago, but that was in regards to 2012. I have to plan my trips WAY in advance because airfare out of Alaska sucks and you have to know what your plans are to have any hope of scoring a discount.

Edit: We're also planning to use miles for the trip, which makes it even worse.

If they don't announce anything in the next month, that effectively nixes my chances for next year.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 20, 2011

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Advent Horizon posted:

I was asking about it a month ago, but that was in regards to 2012. I have to plan my trips WAY in advance because airfare out of Alaska sucks and you have to know what your plans are to have any hope of scoring a discount.

Edit: We're also planning to use miles for the trip, which makes it even worse.

If they don't announce anything in the next month, that effectively nixes my chances for next year.

I'm still interested in going next year, provided there is a next year.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

LobsterboyX posted:

Thank god the internet didn't exist when the Granville brothers were flying their Gee Bees.
Yeah, balls-out race planes have a long and storied tradition of being suicide machines. Oddly enough, Jimmy Doolittle loved flying the Gee bee, said it was the "...sweetest ship I've ever flown. She is perfect in every respect..." Of course, Jimmy Doolittle is most famous for being a loving lunatic (let's fly medium bombers off aircraft carriers and bomb Tokyo! Let's carry extra bombs instead of gas!), so I guess it's not surprising.

It's bigger than you thought. Granville Bros. design philosophy: take an engine, strap on a cockpit and just enough wing to make it fly. It was a really big engine. And really small control surfaces. Despite that, the Gee Bee wasn't as murderous as it's hyped to be -- out of 11 Sportsters, there were only around five crashes, and only half of them fatal.

But when the Gee Bee decided it was time for you to die, you drat sure as hell died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTyYVnSyq4
Direct link to 1:51, when everything is about to go to poo poo
"This is fun! I think I'll just lazily turn in on final for landiOHGODTHEWINGFELLOFF"

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Crosspost from the aviation thread in Ask/Tell, since we need something a bit less macrabe in here...

This is why you don't mess around with thunderstorms...

Both of these airplanes were securely tied down on the ramp, but broke loose during a monsoon storm that had 57kt wind gusts, which also resulted in the control tower being briefly evacuated. On the homebuilt, the tiedown points on the airplane failed, but the tiedown chains on the 210 were simply pulled out of the ground.

The homebuilt is probably repairable, (most of the damage is sheet metal, and the spar seemed intact), but the 210 is most likely totalled, although it hadn't moved from its parking spot in years.

Several buildings in the area were de-roofed by the storm (including one hangar seen in the outside picure), and there were large streches of roads with downed powerlines and/or trees, but most of the airplanes tied down outside actually survived the storm in one piece.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
JIMMY LEEWARD: HATE KLANIKAZE?

http://youtu.be/pFnRTGyVqAM

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Delivery McGee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTyYVnSyq4
Direct link to 1:51, when everything is about to go to poo poo
"This is fun! I think I'll just lazily turn in on final for landiOHGODTHEWINGFELLOFF"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN9f9ycWkOY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN9f9ycWkOY

I'm sure this UAV has larger control surfaces, and the landing is dreadfully lovely.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

revmoo posted:

Holy poo poo this person needs to be called out for this article.

Sadly, the media in Australia is possibly more retarded than the US media.

On a similar note:

"Michael Presley of Rockwall TX Posted at 8:12 AM September 19, 2011

Wow! You not only hired a mentally handicapped person, you actually let them write a story."

Brilliant.

zantar
Jul 30, 2002
So how about that 747-8 delivery delay? :( I hear it's due to Quatar's CEO being arrogant over their 787 "late delivery" consessions from Boeing vs. the 747 consessions to Cargolux... Pure rumors at this point!

Quatar owns 35% of Cargolux now, so that's how it is just coming out now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Canadian Air and Space museum is about to get......
evicted ??

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110920/canadian-air-space-museum-eviction-notice-110920/20110920?hub=TorontoNewHome

quote:

A Toronto landlord served the Canadian Air and Space Museum an eviction notice after the museum failed to pay rent for several months.

Robert Cohen, CEO of the historic museum, said his staff has until Tuesday evening to clear their Downsview Park building before they are locked out.

"I was just told to pull the computers, pull the equipment outside," he told CTV Toronto. "This has clearly caught us by surprise."

Parc Downsview Park Inc., the museum's landlord, handed an eviction notice to staff at the historic facility a few days ago, said Cohen.

The Air and Space Museum is behind on its rent by about $100,000 and has gone through several management changes in the last six months.

Cohen said he sent $22,000 in cheques to the museum's landlord earlier this month and received the money back on Sept. 14.

"They sent us over these notices…stating that we are in default and they returned the money to us," he said.

Museum employees rushed to move artifacts like the historic red-tipped Avro Arrow off the site on Tuesday afternoon.

"We're a large warehouse of history. Each and every day we have people that come in here that bring us their collection to proudly have it on display," said Cohen.

He added that there are plans to build a large sports complex at the site. Those plans could not be immediately confirmed.

Parc Downsview Park could not be reached for comment.
My guess is since the $22K that was returned was insufficient to settle the arrears, the landlord is taking a hard stance because he want's to cash in on the arena. Can't say I'd blame them.

I'm actually pretty surprised its not in a Government owned building in the first place.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

ursa_minor posted:

JIMMY LEEWARD: HATE KLANIKAZE?

http://youtu.be/pFnRTGyVqAM

That is such a lovely joke, I'm loving reporting it.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

InterceptorV8 posted:

That is such a lovely joke, I'm loving reporting it.

Eh, he's allowed to make his lovely jokes, and we're allowed to hate and troll him for it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

ursa_minor posted:

Eh, he's allowed to make his lovely jokes, and we're allowed to hate and troll him for it.

I need to learn how to use video software programs.

Then I can make funny videos too! :q:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InterceptorV8 posted:

I need to learn how to use video software programs.

Then I can make funny videos too! :q:

You could always just ghetto it and use the flash recording system native to YT. Doesn't seem that many others put more thought into it..

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

The Canadian Air and Space museum is about to get......
evicted ??

I'm confused. Is this museum in Toronto or is it the national one in Ottawa?

e: durr, downsview is in Toronto. Sounds like a retarded place to live.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 21, 2011

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Anyone ever done a Discovery Flight?

My wife and kids bought me a discovery flight at the local flight school. 30 minutes of stick time in a Piper Archer for $49! I bought one for my dad and we headed to the airport on Saturday. *edit* this was a couple years ago, I just re-posted the photos and description here. I've aged a bit since then.*

Ready to fly. Pete, the instructor pilot, is on the left. Pete was really cool. My wife is in the backseat, doing a great job of hiding her nervousness.

My dad takes off for his flight. He is in a Piper Warrior, very similar to the Archer.

Liftoff! We are over US290 near Telge road. Pete turned the controls over to me and we headed west to do some turns.

Sharp turns over Katy. I was trying some rudder instead of just banking and pulling.

Heading in for a touch-and-go prior to landing. Pete did the landing part of the touch-and-go, then turned the controls over to me to take off again. Full throttle climbs are fun.

As I brought us around the racetrack to land, Pete said, "You're doing fine, I'll let you land it."
Me: "Dude, I'm gonna feel really bad if I wreck your plane."
Pete: "Nah, it's easy."

He walked me through flaps, airspeed and pitch. There's a pasture full of cows just before the runway. Pete said that those are the happiest cows in the world because they get to watch airplanes fly all day. If those cows had known that a guy with no experience was plummeting towards them in a rented plane, they wouldn't have been so happy.

That runway looks really, really small from the air. I trying to be cool, but I was scared shitless. Landing is like trying to park in a driveway at 90mph. I cleared the powerlines, cows and fence and made a mostly smooth landing.

The flying bug has me. I have one daughter in college and one more to go, then I can get my license.

PhotoKirk fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 21, 2011

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Thanks for posting your experience, I really enjoy hearing people just talk about how much fun flying is. It is so easy to get bogged down with various aspects (particularly the european mess at the moment) that you forget how much fun it is just to drill holes in the sky.

Flying is one of those things that seems overwhelming at first, but getting up to speed with it brings a tremendous satisfaction.

I'd like to wish you best of luck with the ppl, and let us know how you get on.

In other news, I bought a drift hd stealth the other day and have been out today trying to figure out how to make a nice sturdy mount in a decent spot without risking any damage. I think apart from the obvious suction mounts inside, I may try to make some sort of mount to go on the lift handle at the rear of the fuselage.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Did an air conditioner company used to build the B-36?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Nebakenezzer posted:

Did an air conditioner company used to build the B-36?

No, but the company that built the 880, 990, and F-106 did.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
Low-bypass turbofans look so strange today.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Epic Fail Guy posted:

In fairness, you are looking at a decidedly unconventional engine, the General Electric CJ805. Unlike most turbofan engines, where the fan is at the front of the engine, GE put the fan at the back of the engine. Here's a better look at the front of a CJ805:

I can't find a good cutaway diagram of the CJ805, but GE did make another engine, the CF700, that is essentially a scaled-down version of the CJ805. Here's what the concept looks like:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Yeah, but they look so right under the wings of a 737.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Is this fan / final stage turbine wheel connected to the front of the compressor in any way or is just bolted onto the back of a J79?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tsuru posted:

Is this fan / final stage turbine wheel connected to the front of the compressor in any way or is just bolted onto the back of a J79?

It's attached the the compressor, yes.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

MrChips posted:

Here's a better look at the front of a CJ805:

Awesome shot. I have never seen a photo that gives a good look down the intake of a CJ805. Very strange looking. They did some weird stuff in the early days of turbofans...for example the TF39 with the "1 1/2 stage" fan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_TF39

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Tsuru posted:

Both the CF700 and the CJ805-23 have the fan mounted on a single stage, low-pressure free turbine. There is no physical connection between the core engine and the fan.

After my previous post, I was wondering to myself why GE went about creating both the CF700 and CJ805 as they did. Just now, it dawned on my what their rationale was; it allowed them to convert their existing family of turbojets into turbofans with a minimum of engineering work. At the time, GE's turbojet engines tended to be single-shaft designs, unlike Rolls-Royce and Pratt & Whitney's engines. While they are simple, single-shaft engines are impractical to convert into turbofan engines; the single shaft of their engines turned too quickly to run a fan efficiently, and the forces acting on the bearings would likely have been too high. GE realised instead that they could slap a free spinning power turbine behind one of their existing cores and drive a set of fan blades attached to the outside of the power turbine in a "double deck" configuration, like you see in the cutaway diagram I posted. It isn't an ideal solution, but it allowed GE to create a range of turbofan engines at relatively low cost to themselves.

I should also clarify that the CJ805 is GE's designation of the military J79 engine; the CJ805-23 variant is the wacky, aft fan turbofan we're discussing here.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

MrChips posted:

Both the CF700 and the CJ805-23 have the fan mounted on a single stage, low-pressure free turbine. There is no physical connection between the core engine and the fan.

After my previous post, I was wondering to myself why GE went about creating both the CF700 and CJ805 as they did. Just now, it dawned on my what their rationale was; it allowed them to convert their existing family of turbojets into turbofans with a minimum of engineering work. At the time, GE's turbojet engines tended to be single-shaft designs, unlike Rolls-Royce and Pratt & Whitney's engines. While they are simple, single-shaft engines are impractical to convert into turbofan engines; the single shaft of their engines turned too quickly to run a fan efficiently, and the forces acting on the bearings would likely have been too high. GE realised instead that they could slap a free spinning power turbine behind one of their existing cores and drive a set of fan blades attached to the outside of the power turbine in a "double deck" configuration, like you see in the cutaway diagram I posted. It isn't an ideal solution, but it allowed GE to create a range of turbofan engines at relatively low cost to themselves.

I should also clarify that the CJ805 is GE's designation of the military J79 engine; the CJ805-23 variant is the wacky, aft fan turbofan we're discussing here.
That is really interesting, thank you :) There were of course going to be problems with this, I mean, the weight of the cowling would have been excessively high compared to a JT3 or a Conway, and there are going to be fatigue issues with a turbine wheel that has the inside spinning in a high temperature zone and the outside spinning in a cold zone, with all of the energy transfer contained within this same wheel and the inner/outer blades attached at different angles. It's a very clever idea if you have a massive stockpile of military J79s laying around, but not in a lot of other ways I can think of.

The commonality between military and civilian engines is an interesting one, I also remember reading somewhere that the core of the CFM56 used on the 737, A320, A340 and re-engined 707s/DC-8s is the same basic one as used in some US-built fighters and the B-1B.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Advent Horizon posted:

Yeah, but they look so right under the wings of a 737.

How do you feel about the new CFMs attached to the 737NGs?

They all look like someone landed gear-up.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

Epic Fail Guy posted:

How do you feel about the new CFMs attached to the 737NGs?

They all look like someone landed gear-up.

Those aren't as bad as compared to the ones on the classics.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I saw a military jet take off at work today, can any one ID it? Air Force, 4 jet engines, super high tail with horizontal stabilizers at the top, like a whale tale.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Oh and why do jets sometimes need an airstart and sometimes they don't?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

b0nes posted:

Oh and why do jets sometimes need an airstart and sometimes they don't?
I love AgentJayZ's channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AgentJayZ#p/u/5/g4pqEzfKXcA

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

b0nes posted:

I saw a military jet take off at work today, can any one ID it? Air Force, 4 jet engines, super high tail with horizontal stabilizers at the top, like a whale tale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-17_Globemaster_III

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Could've been a C-5 Galaxy as well. Much more likely to be a C-17 though.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

b0nes posted:

If it was cigar-proportioned, C-5. If it was pickle-proportioned, C-17.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Spantax, now that's a name for an airline. It reads as a combination of feminine products, although I guess they were going for Spanish Taxi.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

Could've been a C-5 Galaxy as well. Much more likely to be a C-17 though.

Yeah, it could definitely be a C-5. Since "GIGANTIC" wasn't included in the description, I assumed C-17. I think winglets are the biggest visual differentiator other than size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
F-22s are back flying as of yesterday.