Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

I'm considering putting MIUI and Netarchy kernel on my Nexus S. Anyone have any experience with these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Pardon my ignorance but what's the aftermarket scene like for the Epic?

Is it stable? Gingerbread? CM goodness? What's broken?

My boss want's to root hers but I'm hesitant to offer any help if it's a crapshoot. Especially after having to deal with my girlfriend's G2x.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
xda-developers.php

The name of that ROM alone should tell anyone what they need to know about XDA.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pardon my ignorance but what's the aftermarket scene like for the Epic?

Is it stable? Gingerbread? CM goodness? What's broken?

My boss want's to root hers but I'm hesitant to offer any help if it's a crapshoot. Especially after having to deal with my girlfriend's G2x.

I had a good experience with the Android Creative Syndicate's Syndicate Rom Frozen. It ran stable, was fairly light on unnecessary modifications, but had nice additions too.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I really hate the miui calendar. More specifically: how it makes you slide up and down to choose a day/month/whatever. I hate it because I always slide it too far one way, too far the other, and it takes forever to enter that stupid loving appointment.

I much preferred the stock calendar's plus and minus to choose a day/time. Is there anyway to get that old calendar back on a miui rom?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
CM4DX nightly 103 includes the new Rings lockscreen and I'm really digging it. Turned off WL to use it but I figure I'll probably use it for awhile. Really like the ability to add the custom apps or shortcuts.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Doctor Butts posted:

I really hate the miui calendar. More specifically: how it makes you slide up and down to choose a day/month/whatever. I hate it because I always slide it too far one way, too far the other, and it takes forever to enter that stupid loving appointment.

I much preferred the stock calendar's plus and minus to choose a day/time. Is there anyway to get that old calendar back on a miui rom?

You know you can fine-tune the position by keeping your finger on it and moving it slowly right? You don't have to fling it around all the time.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Can someone post a screenshot of this new lockscreen? I'm kinda curious if I should update to the latest nightly off of my stable build.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Slopehead posted:

Can someone post a screenshot of this new lockscreen? I'm kinda curious if I should update to the latest nightly off of my stable build.

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnQzT9QyJFQ

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Cool that looks like fun. That has been merged in as of what, yesterday?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Edit: nevermind

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 27, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Slopehead posted:

Cool that looks like fun. That has been merged in as of what, yesterday?

Yup. Got it running on my buddy's N1 with the latest nightly.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 15, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Slopehead posted:

Right on, looks like a good way to spend the evening. Just enough time to get comfortable before the Android BBQ this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

Confirmed for the Vision on nightly 211.

http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=vision

Edit: Looks like there were some patches since that nightly. I'd wait for tonight's to make sure you get them but it'll work out of the box either way.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Goddamnit, I've had to switch back to Revolution after finding that neither MIUI or CyanogenMod support Bluetooth headphones on my Galaxy S2 yet. Here's hoping that they figure out a fix soon!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rohaq posted:

Goddamnit, I've had to switch back to Revolution after finding that neither MIUI or CyanogenMod support Bluetooth headphones on my Galaxy S2 yet. Here's hoping that they figure out a fix soon!

Did the same, but honestly, Revolution is pretty amazing it its own right, so I'm not too bothered to be stuck with it in the meantime.

Slashkun
Sep 19, 2011
thanks for the reply, gona try rooting my phone tonight then and have a see for myself.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

MIUI port is out for the Infuse 4G.

Downside is that Bluetooth is not 100% functional. Upside is MIUI.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

What is the best method to root the Epic 4G Touch? I'm currently reading the XDA forum and most of them have some issues like signal loss, no wifi, etc.

I'm thinking of just sticking with stock and just add root for now, but is it still better to just wait a little longer?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

halokiller posted:

What is the best method to root the Epic 4G Touch?
They've managed to work out the initial root kernel issues. Namely there's a stock kernel image out there that everyone's working with now.

You're going to have to flash a modified kernel to get root initially, but once su/Superuser is installed you can flash the stock kernel back if you chose and still keep root.

So basically, flash the CWM recovery kernel with Odin. Then install Superuser through CWM. Then optionally flash back on the stock kernel, you'll keep root but lose CWM.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 27, 2011

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
For any Droid X users out there, Rom Toolbox (formally Liberty Toolbox) has the latest nightlies of CM7 with the Gingerbread kernel. Runs great, great battery life, and it has the bitchin’ Ring lockscreen. I have to use Rom Manager to grab the latest GApps and Super User, but it is still pretty sweet to have my Droid X running such a sweet ROM.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Decius posted:

Did the same, but honestly, Revolution is pretty amazing it its own right, so I'm not too bothered to be stuck with it in the meantime.
I wouldn't mind, but The Infinite Black (online space MMO) has stability issues on Rev for me, though I'm thinking it might be down to the Samsung media scanner or similar: Any ideas in disabling it temporarily so I can check?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Gyshall posted:

For any Droid X users out there, Rom Toolbox (formally Liberty Toolbox) has the latest nightlies of CM7 with the Gingerbread kernel. Runs great, great battery life, and it has the bitchin’ Ring lockscreen. I have to use Rom Manager to grab the latest GApps and Super User, but it is still pretty sweet to have my Droid X running such a sweet ROM.

I think it's about time for me to break down and try this. I kept telling myself I would once they got it on the Gingerbread kernel and...welp.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Gyshall posted:

For any Droid X users out there, Rom Toolbox (formally Liberty Toolbox) has the latest nightlies of CM7 with the Gingerbread kernel. Runs great, great battery life, and it has the bitchin? Ring lockscreen. I have to use Rom Manager to grab the latest GApps and Super User, but it is still pretty sweet to have my Droid X running such a sweet ROM.

I'm running nightly 103 which I originally installed from 340. Do I need to sbf then install to 602 or can I just install the ROM from the toolbox from where I am now to get the gb kernel?

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!
EVO 3D, HBOOT 1.50
Stock ROM
32GB microSD

Trying to make my first foray into a custom ROM, but I'm having a bit of a problem. I've already unlocked my bootloader with the HTC unlock tool and I've rooted with the TWRP recovery image. No problems on that end and everything was fine for a few days. Tonight, though, I'm going to give WTSB a go, and I've installed ROM Manager to get things going. I noticed that it wants to use ClockworkMod for its recovery image, so using the app menu I install it. Now though when I enter the bootloader and try to launch in recovery, it just sits at the HTC screen for a few minutes, then reboots normally. I've tried using fastboot to erase the recovery partition but I get a "FAILED (remote: not allowed)" error. Anyone know how I can go about getting recovery back up and running?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Gyshall posted:

Does it have 1% battery yet?

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
I rooted my new LG Thrill 4G with SuperOneClickRoot. I have created a backup of all of my new apps and newer versions using Titanium Backup. Now I am trying to figure out how to create a backup image of my phone. My friend told me that I needed to enter recovery mode, which I did. However, I only saw options for recovering my phone as opposed to creating an image. Do I need to do something with the ClockWorkMod? That's the only thing I have been able to find that makes the slightest bit of sense.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

G-Philez posted:

I rooted my new LG Thrill 4G with SuperOneClickRoot. I have created a backup of all of my new apps and newer versions using Titanium Backup. Now I am trying to figure out how to create a backup image of my phone. My friend told me that I needed to enter recovery mode, which I did. However, I only saw options for recovering my phone as opposed to creating an image. Do I need to do something with the ClockWorkMod? That's the only thing I have been able to find that makes the slightest bit of sense.

Yes. This has everything to do with Clockwork Recovery. That particular recovery is how backup images are created. Stock recovery is all that's left on your phone.

Looks like XDA has a way of getting CWM into the LG Thrill 4G however it might require a bit more skill than you have currently.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Giving DasBamf "Forever" 1.0.6 a try on my Thunderbolt. It's weird going back to Sense after being with AOSP (CM7/OMFGB) for so long but I'm liking it so far.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Sunblood posted:

Does it have 1% battery yet?

CM4DX has had 1% battery for the last 70 or so nightlies.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm having 2 issues with my Droid X running stock Gingerbread .602 rooted:

1) Sometimes when I go to turn on wifi, the icon won't show up in the bar and it won't connect. I go to Wireless Settings and it is either stuck at "Obtaining IP Address" or searching for wireless networks, and it doesn't see or display any - even the ones "remembered". A reboot always solves this problem - but I was wondering what's going on.

2) I rebooted last night to try to connect to my wifi again, and suddenly Swype kept force closing ever few seconds. "process com.swype.android.inputmethod". So I've had to use the default keyboard. I'm running Swype beta and did the whole thing of deleted/renaming files in order to install the beta when Swype comes on your phone. Did I delete/rename something wrong? I've been running the latest beta for a while and this is the first time it happened.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Anarchy Stocking posted:

EVO 3D, HBOOT 1.50
Stock ROM
32GB microSD

Trying to make my first foray into a custom ROM, but I'm having a bit of a problem. I've already unlocked my bootloader with the HTC unlock tool and I've rooted with the TWRP recovery image. No problems on that end and everything was fine for a few days. Tonight, though, I'm going to give WTSB a go, and I've installed ROM Manager to get things going. I noticed that it wants to use ClockworkMod for its recovery image, so using the app menu I install it. Now though when I enter the bootloader and try to launch in recovery, it just sits at the HTC screen for a few minutes, then reboots normally. I've tried using fastboot to erase the recovery partition but I get a "FAILED (remote: not allowed)" error. Anyone know how I can go about getting recovery back up and running?

Clockwork Mod appears to be kinda buggy on the 3D, even on my S-OFF device.

Try starting from scratch again using the steps in this thread. At the very least, you should be able to get TWRP recovery up and running again.

Also remember that any ROM with a custom kernel (eg: anything AOSP based/CM/MIUI) will require you flash it via fastboot since you unlocked your phone with the HTC tool.

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!

Leathal posted:

Try starting from scratch again using the steps in this thread. At the very least, you should be able to get TWRP recovery up and running again.

Also remember that any ROM with a custom kernel (eg: anything AOSP based/CM/MIUI) will require you flash it via fastboot since you unlocked your phone with the HTC tool.

THanks, this worked for me and I was able to get TWRP running again. Got the ROM installed fine through fastboot, but it has a few problems. I think I'm just going to check another one out instead of tinkering with this one. Thanks again!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rotaryfun posted:

I'm running nightly 103 which I originally installed from 340. Do I need to sbf then install to 602 or can I just install the ROM from the toolbox from where I am now to get the gb kernel?

I followed this guide:

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=3980

Rom Toolbox has the latest ROM after that. The latest one was built on the 26th.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You

ProjektorBoy posted:

Yes. This has everything to do with Clockwork Recovery. That particular recovery is how backup images are created. Stock recovery is all that's left on your phone.

Looks like XDA has a way of getting CWM into the LG Thrill 4G however it might require a bit more skill than you have currently.

Thanks. I followed the instructions, and I did have some difficulties.

When I attempted to push the recovery.img to /data I always got a permission denied error. I tried manually placing the file in the /data directory and then attempted to use the command again, but I received the same error still. Ultimately, I decided to try adding sdcard in front of data for my path, and then it finally went through.

I just hope I won't have any problems. I cannot foresee there being any right now. I was able to successfully make my backup image.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Leathal posted:

I swear you and I are following the same goddamn path with our phones. I always see you trying the same roms and positing links I visited recently. First CleanROM and then CM7 haha. Your recommendations haven't steered me wrong since CleanROM is the fastest and most stable Sense-based rom, so thanks. Been a while since FdY. ;)

For CM7 alpha3 users on the EVO 3D: Does the Torch app crash for you? I'm going to try another flashlight app but wanted to check. That's the only issue I've noticed so far. Fantastic rom for an alpha. Any performance settings worth tweaking that won't gently caress up the phone?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Gyshall posted:

I followed this guide:

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=3980

Rom Toolbox has the latest ROM after that. The latest one was built on the 26th.

Does the camera and torch work or did you still have to install the fix?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Krittick posted:

I swear you and I are following the same goddamn path with our phones. I always see you trying the same roms and positing links I visited recently. First CleanROM and then CM7 haha. Your recommendations haven't steered me wrong since CleanROM is the fastest and most stable Sense-based rom, so thanks. Been a while since FdY. ;)

For CM7 alpha3 users on the EVO 3D: Does the Torch app crash for you? I'm going to try another flashlight app but wanted to check. That's the only issue I've noticed so far. Fantastic rom for an alpha. Any performance settings worth tweaking that won't gently caress up the phone?

Torch app force closing is a known regression from alpha 2, so it should be fixed by the next release. Apparently third party flashlight apps will work in the meantime, but I haven't bothered to confirm.

And hell yeah it's been a while. I still remember you showing me how to wall climb into Hyjal like...four loving years ago, sheesh. Traded my WoW addiction for TF2 a couple years back, seems healthier somehow. :pcgaming:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I've been playing with MIUI on my 3D for a few days, and holy poo poo, it's my new favorite. My wife played with it for about 1 minute and asked for it on her EVO 4G too. Bluetooth works, the in-call volume changing bug is gone, Market works without any extra effort again.

Setting the DPI to 270 (mostly) fixes some of the alignment issues with lockscreens and widgets on the 3D while the devs work on a fix.

quote:

Just a note on this. I was playing with Boot Manager (to no avail) and found that TWRP wasn't able to flash the update.zip provided by Boot Manager to get back to the phone OS in case of a boot loop. I downloaded Clockwork and flashed it from TWRP, then the update.zips worked again.

Just a note if you are using Boot Manager and TWRP and come across that problem. I find TWRP vastly more organized and easy to use compared to Clockwork, so use it if possible.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dohminator
Oct 5, 2004

They can take our dignity. They can take all the hot women. But they will NOT take our jobs. And they will NEVER take our store!

Gyshall posted:

For any Droid X users out there, Rom Toolbox (formally Liberty Toolbox) has the latest nightlies of CM7 with the Gingerbread kernel. Runs great, great battery life, and it has the bitchin? Ring lockscreen. I have to use Rom Manager to grab the latest GApps and Super User, but it is still pretty sweet to have my Droid X running such a sweet ROM.

I'm loving it too. I just upgraded from Liberty -gb and it is running really smooth. The only thing that I miss is the blur camera and dialer. Other than that minor gripe, I understand why everyone raves about cm7