Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsuki
Aug 30, 2005
Lipstick Apathy
One thing I wanted to see in ToTT was rivals. Seeing the rival heart events, giving weeds to your rival, and later trying to get the rest married. I liked the characters having lives.
Also, the harvest goddess in this one is completely nuts. What does she want for presents? Those apricots looked pretty tasty, but she hated them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

tsuki posted:

One thing I wanted to see in ToTT was rivals. Seeing the rival heart events, giving weeds to your rival, and later trying to get the rest married. I liked the characters having lives.
Also, the harvest goddess in this one is completely nuts. What does she want for presents? Those apricots looked pretty tasty, but she hated them.

Flowers and later-game/expensive vegetables: http://fogu.com/hm10/villagers/harvest_goddess.php

Toodles! :j:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Does anyone know if Tides of Destiny will be released in the EU? I'll probably import the PS3 version anyways because I really want to play it. Did anyone here play the Japanese version and could share his experience with it?

I really loved all RF games even though Frontier was so bad with sluggish animations / Runeys

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
It makes me sad that you can't marry the carpenter in Bluebell. She's the hottest one in the town :(

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

It makes me sad that you can't marry the carpenter in Bluebell. She's the hottest one in the town :(

It seems like lately they always make the hottest one someone you can't marry. drat teases.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So I started playing Rune Factory 3 on a whim a few weeks ago, and a question: what is the intended audience for these games demographically anyway?

I mean, I have always been (perhaps mistakenly) under the impression that these games had a primarily female audience (hence stuff like stuffed animal pack ins etc), but this game is... odd in that regard, I would say? The entire female cast having their own forms of mental retardation, namely. I mean, it does make for an interesting cast in its own way (in the sense of "When idiots collide" rather than "These characters are astoundingly well written"). Maybe that's just what they're aiming for, dunno.

The fact that the game is basically "get this sheep of a young boy to marry any one of these idiots/ lunatics" doesn't exactly scream "yes, I can see why they would write this given an intended audience of young girls/ women/ whatever"

I'm enjoying the game, but I'm not entirely sure why.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 27, 2011

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Zorak posted:

So I started playing Rune Factory 3 on a whim a few weeks ago, and a question: what is the intended audience for these games demographically anyway?

In Japan, Rune Factory is primarily aimed at a male audience while Harvest Moon skews female. Harvest Moon didn't start that way; it took a good while for them to make 'for girls' versions of the titles and the option of playing either gender in the same game is a fairly new invention. It does not mean that folks aren't free to enjoy either series, it is just the culture of the promotional items and the personalities of the characters within.

For Oceans/Tides of Destiny in Japan, the majority of pre-order bonuses were creepy loli poo poo (art of them in lingerie, bikinis) with all of one bonus featuring the bachelors. The ladies in said game run the Anime gamut a little bit more than RF3 did, from 'little sister' to angry, agro chick. Marvelous and Neverland loves dem anime tropes, the majority of what they publish is still along those lines.

Over here in America Natsume guns right for girls for both series, hence the awwwwwdorables animal plushes they tend to give away.

quote:

Because it is a fun mix of things to do and has an amusing localization. The dungeons are easy as hell though.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
Yeah I'm glad the Sharance Dungeons exist, although doing those has made the main game kind of a joke in comparison. Even so, I only have one more dungeon to go, and I've heard that if you've already done all the requests there is nothing left to do in the postgame, so I figure I'll just do everything I can before I continue.

I've even found and tamed monsters in the Sharance Dungeon I'm not supposed to have seen yet. I befriended a Little Golem and I can ride around in his chest compartment, it's great.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Does anyone know if Two Towns on 3DS has any sort of online? I haven't played a Harvest Moon since Friends of Mineral Town, and a friend and I are both getting the 3DS one when it comes out. Just wanted to know if we'll be able to do anything together since we don't live near each other.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Jimmybob posted:

It seems like lately they always make the hottest one someone you can't marry. drat teases.
They've been doing that since the beginning. Remember the mayor's wife from the SNES game?

Howdy, Ma'am.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
The dungeons are actually kinda awesome (albeit short) if you set it on hard, and don't farm the hell outta the level. The first time I did the first boss fight it actually wrapped around to the next day. And in the next dungeon, I got one of the rare spawn monsters whooping my rear end horribly.

It's also a bit fun because it rewards you with extra stats for everything kinda like Diablo keeps you incentivized with loot. No matter what you do, you're making progress.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

ThemeMusicC posted:

I've even found and tamed monsters in the Sharance Dungeon I'm not supposed to have seen yet. I befriended a Little Golem and I can ride around in his chest compartment, it's great.

I'm sorry, you can do what? Where the gently caress did I put my game, I need one of those.

Zorak posted:

It's all the fun of Harvest Moon but with light action RPG elements to fill in the gaps between watering plants and milking buffamoos. And while they aren't exactly well written bastions of characterization, the NPCs are lively and seldom boring.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 28, 2011

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I still have my cart copy of HM64. It was one of those rare games in which I repeatedly thought I had seen everything but there was always some little variation or undiscovered thing you could end up doing. So great.

And if you weren't trying to woo Karen you were doing it wrong.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Ah, dammit, are you kidding me? Roughly how long does it take to harvest a 3x3 square of crops? Is the animation quick at least when you put something away?

gosh, I couldn't tell you a time. it's relatively fast but nowhere near as good as RF3. Anyone else feel like the time passes REALLY slowly in ToTT? I spend fuckloads of time standing around waiting for the evening so I can water my crops again and most of the time I can't be bothered. You can only ransack the entire mountain so many times.

Zorak posted:

Judging from my own experience and looking up poo poo at the fogu forums, women in their 20s (c'est moi...) and homophobic 12-year-olds.

gently caress those kids, i want the 'special friends' option back.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jimmybob posted:

Well yeah. It's the Harvest Moon tradition of only being allowed to marry 12 year olds.

Anybody who looks even just slightly like an adult? Not a marriage candidate.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well yeah. It's the Harvest Moon tradition of only being allowed to marry 12 year olds.

Anybody who looks even just slightly like an adult? Not a marriage candidate.

Unless you play a little girl, in which case all your marriage candidates are low-life 30 year olds who are struggling at managing their economical situation.

Or maybe that was just Harvest Moon Cute DS which had nothing cute about it, allowing you to kill the mayor in the first scene of the game prompting an instant game over.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Mordaedil posted:

Or maybe that was just Harvest Moon Cute DS which had nothing cute about it, allowing you to kill the mayor in the first scene of the game prompting an instant game over.

Uh, what?

This reminds me of a different Harvest Moon - I forget which - but you're asked to take over the farm after your grandfather or father dies. Anyway, you get the big tour, and then the dude who gave you the tour asks if you will take over the farm. You can select "no", and you will just walk off, and the guy stays there all dejected, while a GAME OVER graphic comes on the screen.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
In the DS game, your dog attacks the mayor and you have a choice to call off the dog or just let it kill the mayor.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Mordaedil posted:

Unless you play a little girl, in which case all your marriage candidates are low-life 30 year olds who are struggling at managing their economical situation

But no you can't marry Shino in RF3.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

At least in the more recent games the 'men' have been in your age bracket. Or just drawn that way, it is hard to tell now and then.

I don't know about Dr. Toddlerface over here though, I just don't have the heart to woo someone who looks the same questionable age or younger than my farmer.

The other day I popped into Gamestop with my husband and he held up A Wonderful Life for PS2 asking if I had it already. I went, 'no, that is the one where they creeped it up by letting you marry a little girl and wait a couple of years to knock her up.' he blinked and put it back onto the rack with a "Oh."

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

gently caress the haters I married this guy every time I played Harvest Moon Girl version. :colbert:

Also I don't know if this will be handy for anyone else, but you can be a huge cheat and submit food bought from the Tea House/Cafe to the cooking festival.

It saved my bacon after my summer of no loving crops what so ever. :argh:

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I love RF3 too but yeah the over the top quirkiness of all the characters really irks me. The only marriage candidate that isn't batshit insane is Shara. (Edit: Oh, and I guess the bigot monster gal.)

Also true story, I couldn't tell if Micah was male or female for the first few minutes of the game.

I don't understand Japan.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Shara's quirkiness is that she's the only normal person in a town full of crazies. I really wanted her to go yandere at one point and complete the chain.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Shara's quirkiness is that she's the only normal person in a town full of crazies. I really wanted her to go yandere at one point and complete the chain.

Shara seems nice to the point of absurdity, which is Another Thing.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Zorak posted:

Also, I dunno if it's just me but the game seems to keep telling the player "By the way, did we mention that Shara is the canonical waifu? Because she is. Just saying."

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
I wouldn't call Karina crazy or quirky, just lazy.

I guess there's the fact that she likes Evelyn's clothes, but other than that, she is pretty normal.

Or maybe I just relate to her too much.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Tupperwarez posted:

Also, I dunno if it's just me but the game seems to keep telling the player "By the way, did we mention that Shara is the canonical waifu? Because she is. Just saying."

There is definitely nothing "just you" about how when you marry someone else it still shows you a second opening video depicting super happy together time with Shara.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Zorak posted:

Also, she's very irrational and flighty, though that doesn't manifest too much.

Although, her flightiness is directly tied to her niceness, so it makes sense, and it isn't necessarily overly zany.

I Watson posted:

The other day I popped into Gamestop with my husband and he held up A Wonderful Life for PS2 asking if I had it already. I went, 'no, that is the one where they creeped it up by letting you marry a little girl and wait a couple of years to knock her up.' he blinked and put it back onto the rack with a "Oh."

Uh, what the gently caress? I'm trying to look this up right now, can you clarify?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Uh, what the gently caress? I'm trying to look this up right now, can you clarify?

The PS2 port of A Wonderful Life allowed you to marry the previously un-marryable little girl who grows up in the second chapter of the game. I'm pretty sure you also have a kid pretty much at the start of second chapter in A Wonderful Life too.

It's been forever since I've played A Wonderful Life, so I might not be completely right about the kid thing, but yeah it's pretty creepy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I was curious too and for a while was confused while reading the wiki entry for the Gamecube version, since while Celia is young, she's not THAT young. Then I caught a glimpse of a link to a Special Edition for the PS2, and suddenly ten year old Lumina becomes a marriage candidate. Whoopie-loving-do.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Saoshyant posted:

I was curious too and for a while was confused while reading the wiki entry for the Gamecube version, since while Celia is young, she's not THAT young. Then I caught a glimpse of a link to a Special Edition for the PS2, and suddenly ten year old Lumina becomes a marriage candidate. Whoopie-loving-do.

Yeah, in the Gamecube version she was one of the two people your kid could grow up to marry.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Oh no, no no no that's not good.

edit:

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
I have the PS2 version since I don't own a gamecube. That's one addition I pretend doesn't exist.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Dammit, Japan.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The "Asian" type girl in RF:F doesn't look very old either but apparently no one is bothered by that?

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

The "Asian" type girl in RF:F doesn't look very old either but apparently no one is bothered by that?

I was, but I ignore her for that reason. The fact that the PS2 port got the ~special~ addition of marrying Lumina just makes it a bit more disturbing somehow. It would be like a port of Frontier that includes the bonus feature of being able to marry Candy. Tides has Candy make a guest appearance but I beleive she is still a small child in it and non-hit-on-able. Thank god.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
RF1 fans also wanted to marry Cecilia and got their wish granted in RF2. She was older though so yeah.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

DeathBySpoon posted:

Does anyone know if Two Towns on 3DS has any sort of online? I haven't played a Harvest Moon since Friends of Mineral Town, and a friend and I are both getting the 3DS one when it comes out. Just wanted to know if we'll be able to do anything together since we don't live near each other.

Mmm does not look like you guys will get anything meaningful out of it, http://fogu.com/hm10/ds_vs_3ds.php has confirmed differences in the game and the only online interaction available in the original is covered here http://fogu.com/hm10/basics/special_crop_field.php.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

Also I don't know if this will be handy for anyone else, but you can be a huge cheat and submit food bought from the Tea House/Cafe to the cooking festival.

It saved my bacon after my summer of no loving crops what so ever. :argh:

Whaaat?? The soup competition this Summer snuck up on me, so I didn't have any combination of ingredients that day that would turn into soup when thrown in a pot. I decided to see if I could poison Pierre instead.

I attempted to submit a rock, a branch, a bug, and even a failed dish, but the stupid mayor wouldn't accept any of it.

For the following entree competition I thought I had it all sewed up. I made an omelet, and with pretty good milk and egg, too. But I didn't notice that my oil had gotten old and was rotten which degraded the freshness of my dish as well and the stupid mayor wouldn't accept it. I threw it in his face before going in to watch the competition, where TWO people from my town had submitted failed dishes.

All this and it turns out the mayor doesn't even check whether you made the dish yourself?

Hey, Mr. Mayor... :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Speaking of RF, anyone tried the Japanese version of Tides? How does it compare to RF3 (obviously aside the graphics)? A step up? Same good? Or did they break something they shouldn't?

• Locked thread