Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
God drat what a troll. I was so hype to see Ms. Fortune finally... :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

P1 called Peacock twice and Cerebella once, actually.
My point still stands that P1 probably would have done better with more assist usage. There's basically no point in using a 2 or 3 character team if you aren't going to use dem assists.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311729

Ahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

Well if you calculate the FUN ratio you'll see that...

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Cat Machine posted:

Finally smash will be taken serio-:unsmigghh:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Do character bans in fighting games usually involve some kind of council voting or something?

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Do character bans in fighting games usually involve some kind of council voting or something?
Not any sort of official council as far as I know. I would think it would be more like...

Tornament Organizer A: I'm so tired of seeing (character) at tournaments. Not only is he really good, everyone and their mother seems to use him!
Tournament Organizer B: I agree. I'm writing up rules for the (game) tournament at (major). I'm thinking of banning (character).
TOA: Oh, great idea! I think I'll do the same for the next major I run too!
TOA and TOB high-five.

E: And then said tournament goes nicely and then everyone starts banning the character.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

No, because most fighting games do not have a ruleset much longer than 'play 2/3 matches on default settings, dont pause poo poo or use turbo on your controllers'.

Conventional FGs usually only ban unlockable bosses (Omega Rugal, Akuma, Gill), who are blatantly not meant for competitive play. I can't really think of a conventional fighter where a main roster character has been banned.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Cat Machine posted:

Conventional FGs usually only ban unlockable bosses (Omega Rugal, Akuma, Gill), who are blatantly not meant for competitive play. I can't really think of a conventional fighter where a main roster character has been banned.

Jojo's.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Nerokerubina posted:

Jojo's.

At least in Jojo's you don't have to ban stages, an entire system (items), using too many cheap tactics (ledge grabs), and carrying on infinites longer than necessary.

I can't believe anyone plays Smash competitively, honestly.

vvvv Old Sagat but worse. And tiny.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Petshop, right? Is he outright banned? I thought he was like O. Sagat.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Petshop is not banned. He's soft banned which pretty much means you can pick him but then the next night Yakuza will come knocking on your door and make fun of you and steal all your video games and then you're too ashamed to go back to mikado.

Fayk is probably more in the know than me though.

Cinroth fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 1, 2011

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Cinroth posted:

Petshop is not banned.

He has been everywhere i've played but admittedly you've played like a hundred times more than me.

(he should be banned)

edit: Isn't ST Akuma only softbanned in Japan though as well?

Nerokerubina fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 1, 2011

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Anyone know how long it took for Petshop to get softbanned/banned? Because taking 3 years to ban MK sounds like a ridiculously long time.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Have there ever been any 9-1 matchups besides Petshop-Iggy?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Metrohunter posted:

CVS2, Omega Rugal vs. Dan. :v:

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Cat Machine posted:

No, because most fighting games do not have a ruleset much longer than 'play 2/3 matches on default settings, dont pause poo poo or use turbo on your controllers'.

The way HDR Akuma was banned should be the model for FG bans.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Smashboards just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about fighting culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in competitive racing gaming (like Mario Kart) where you can become successful by being an *******. If you screw someone over in the fighting community, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the general brawl players, after hearing about this, is not going to want to participate in thisr tournament, nor will they support Smashboards. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Smashboards has alienated an entire league of competitive fighting gamers with this move.

Smashboards, publicly apologize and re-instate Metaknight or you can kiss your forum goodbye.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
How will all of this affect the fun ratio? Will we no longer have fun playing Smash? I am confused.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Metrohunter posted:

Does Smash count?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

von Braun posted:

How will all of this affect the fun ratio? Will we no longer have fun playing Smash? I am confused.

See Meta knight was negative fun, so if we remove him entirely then the fun numbers will increase across the board.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Metrohunter posted:

depending on who you ask, ST has a handful. Guile vs Honda, Guile vs Zangief. Probably O-Sagat vs grapplers.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
now what am i going to do with all these fun points

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Jmcrofts posted:

Hang on I gotta find out if we're allowed to talk about Fortune yet...

Hey jm, have you guys toyed around with the idea that a single character team would gain life upon killing a character? I know there was talk of life regen that didn't look too fruitful. I'm no fighting game theorist but maybe that is in the middle? Or maybe a percentage of damage dealt to assists? I dunno these thoughts came up while watching the latest FNF.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Because the world really needed it, Hudson Soft is making a new Bloody Roar game

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
i had a lot of fun mashing away in BR 2 when I was like...11.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Lessail posted:

Hey jm, have you guys toyed around with the idea that a single character team would gain life upon killing a character? I know there was talk of life regen that didn't look too fruitful. I'm no fighting game theorist but maybe that is in the middle? Or maybe a percentage of damage dealt to assists? I dunno these thoughts came up while watching the latest FNF.

There has been talk of giving single characters some functional use for red life, but basically nothing has been implemented because so far the bottom line is they don't need it. The health and damage buffs are enough to make single characters competitive for now at least.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

Smashboards just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about fighting culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in competitive racing gaming (like Mario Kart) where you can become successful by being an *******. If you screw someone over in the fighting community, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the general brawl players, after hearing about this, is not going to want to participate in thisr tournament, nor will they support Smashboards. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Smashboards has alienated an entire league of competitive fighting gamers with this move.

Smashboards, publicly apologize and re-instate Metaknight or you can kiss your forum goodbye.

Man, at the Smash Brawl tournament I had to set up for a anime con, I had people getting into a fight over who got which controller and pissed off since I wasn't using the Evo rules instead of the unity rules set. When you have to ban stages and a complex stage counter pick system based on tiers, I stop giving a poo poo. With all the new fighting games coming out, I kinda hoped it would die off and people graduate to big boy fighting games.

As a aside note, what do fighting games tournaments often use as prizes for winners other than cash? I was thinking of getting some joysticks for the first place winners I need to set up some for a sci-fi con in a few months but I wasn't sure what to do since there is no entrance fees for the tournaments.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

As a aside note, what do fighting games tournaments often use as prizes for winners other than cash? I was thinking of getting some joysticks for the first place winners I need to set up some for a sci-fi con in a few months but I wasn't sure what to do since there is no entrance fees for the tournaments.

I like to use cookies as pot bonuses when I run tourneys :3:

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
A new Bloody Roar game, eh? All I remember of the franchise is seeing an article(?) about a GCN release in Nintendo Power some long time ago.

Is the game much like DoA in that it's a bad game with little to no competetive potential?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

ImperialGuard posted:

A new Bloody Roar game, eh? All I remember of the franchise is seeing an article(?) about a GCN release in Nintendo Power some long time ago.

Is the game much like DoA in that it's a bad game with little to no competetive potential?

Basically yeah but more broken.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jmcrofts posted:

I like to use cookies as pot bonuses when I run tourneys :3:

You really like to "sweeten the pot", huh? :v:

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Policenaut posted:

Because the world really needed it, Hudson Soft is making a new Bloody Roar game

Huh, I was just thinking about this franchise a couple weeks ago. I had tons of fun with Primal Fury on the Gamecube, though I never did bother with any other game in the series.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5825Wu0WjA

A friend just linked this to me. I know Brawl is generally laughed at, but it's quite epic.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

i had a lot of fun mashing away in BR 2 when I was like...11.

Yeah... I know I played the first one, maybe the second too. I had no idea it was up to 5 already though. I thought it had faded away along with toshinden, tobal, star gladiator, and all those other 3d ps1 fighters that were pretty much everywhere at the time.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Sade posted:

depending on who you ask, ST has a handful. Guile vs Honda, Guile vs Zangief. Probably O-Sagat vs grapplers.

Vega vs. Guile, Dhalsim vs. Guile, Cammy vs. Gief, Honda vs. Cammy/Zangief, DJ vs. Honda, Dhalsim vs. Sagat are probably just as bad as those. I don't know about 9-1 though.

edit: The only 9-1 matchup on the Arcadia diagram is Dhalsim vs. n.Sagat. It doesn't have old chars on there though. The only 8.5-1.5s are Honda vs. Gief, Dhalsim vs. Guile, Cammy vs. Hawk (which surprises me, I thought Cammy vs. Gief was worse but then I'm probably thinking of o.Hawk) and DJ vs. Honda.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 1, 2011

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Man, at the Smash Brawl tournament I had to set up for a anime con

That is double bad, smash players are bitchy enough anime con smash players are the bitchest loving thing ever, my friend ran one year because he ran a good number of smash tournies at the time, it went horribly, pretty much everyone complaining was a terrible scrub and had no chance of winning anyways and they were complaining about the most mundane stuff, that didn't even matter that much.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Next time anyone runs a Smash tourney charge a large entry fee and give the winner the whole pot, all to ensure a very large prize nobody would want to walk away from.

Leave all items on, ban no stages or characters. Have a few planted players here and there to pick normally banned stages and characters to taint the whole group.

Watch the chaos ensue! CHAOS!!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gutcruncher posted:

Next time anyone runs a Smash tourney charge a large entry fee and give the winner the whole pot, all to ensure a very large prize nobody would want to walk away from.

Leave all items on, ban no stages or characters. Have a few planted players here and there to pick normally banned stages and characters to taint the whole group.

A real life troll tournament would be a great thing to behold. It's fun as it is to do that in online games that let you set up tournaments (particularly MMOs), I can't imagine how hilarious it would be when you actually get to see all those stupid bastards raging over settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Gutcruncher posted:

I got one of my friends to do this as like a secondary tournament way back when before the days of brawl minus/plus minor tournments, for like $1 entrant cost winner take all, a decent number of people entered it was good fun. Also first to 3 health matches were fun too until everyone found infinites in that mode.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 1, 2011

• Locked thread