Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I don't think this should be news, but Martial Arts in the United States is very, very fad oriented. These days it's BJJ and MMA which are the cool things, with Krav Maga as well I guess. In the 50s and 60s Judo was very popular. I feel like the 70s and 80s were very karate oriented. TKD and such after. This is a very vague generalization I know, so anyone who wants to tear down this post/describe it with more detail please go ahead and do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Anybody else run into McDojos running "MMA" classes for kids? We have an 11 year old that recently joined our club who spends all his time bragging about how did "MMA" before moving. But talking to him it was just a TKD McDojo that did a very, very small amount of grappling and billed it as kids MMA.

The TKD place right next to me actually has a BJJ purple belt teaching some kind of an MMA course, but it's ~$150 a month for two sessions a week of that so I just go to the Black belt who offers 11 sessions a week for $75 a month.

EDIT: The two non-fads are boxing and wrestling. But yeah, everything imported is based on trends.

NovemberMike fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 4, 2011

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I found a local gym with beginner Muay Thai lessons, but in the process of asking about the gym it was said:
That women did Tae Kwon Doe there and that would be best when I asked about classes.

The website states:
The master instructor has multiple 7th dan black belts on top of 4th and 5th dan belts.
You apparently have to take an extra class to spar (although that might just be for Tae-Kwon-Doe.)
There are instructors who received their black belt at age 12, after starting training at 4 years of age.
An instructor who got their 2nd dan in ten years.

Oh, and I have to pay $25 for an introductory lesson. It does seem to have a lot of awards, but all the awards are for Tae Kwon Doe competitions where a lot of people are winning gold and silver.

I'm a newbie to martial arts, but I've got warning bells ringing. Did I stumble on a mcdojo, or is this normal?

coolusername fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 4, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

deathbot posted:

I'm a newbie to martial arts, but I've got warning bells ringing.

Doesn't sound good, but could you retype that using completer sentences and real punctuation? I can't tell if there's a dedicated MT instructor from your ramble, which would boost confidence in instruction.
As for the lovely McDojo business practices, yes, it seems like it has those, but I can't say for certain unless you restate.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

kimbo305 posted:

Doesn't sound good, but could you retype that using completer sentences and real punctuation? I can't tell if there's a dedicated MT instructor from your ramble, which would boost confidence in instruction.
As for the lovely McDojo business practices, yes, it seems like it has those, but I can't say for certain unless you restate.

My bad, I'm sorry. I hope that's more coherent.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

deathbot posted:

The master instructor has multiple 7th dan black belts on top of 4th and 5th dan belts.
There are instructors who received their black belt at age 12, after starting training at 4 years of age.

Most kids here in Japan get their "black belt" at 12-14, depending on when their birthday is. You're eligible for your 1-dan test in most arts when you start 7th grade. So black belt at 14 isn't a big deal, depending. I know kids who are 15 and have 2-dan kendo, 1-dan iaido, 1-dan jodo, 2-dan judo, and 2-dan karate. That's five black belts and two of them in "major" sports.

Ditto for multiple black belts; my kendo sensei started when he was in his 30s and he is 7-dan kendo, 5-dan iaido, 5-dan jodo now, in his 70s -- and he was a high school teacher working 12-16 hours a day.

How old is the master instructor? Where did he receive his belts/licenses from, and where? What are his belts in?

That might help put things into perspective a bit more.

deathbot posted:

This would actually bother me, as 2-dan is usually a pretty beginner rank, depending on the country. 10 years is a long time for a belt that has a minimum wait time of one year in some arts.

Also, if it's a muay thai place, why are they using dan? The dan/kyuu system is Japanese. That sets off warning bells in my head.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 4, 2011

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

tarepanda posted:

How old is the master instructor? Where did he receive his belts/licenses from, and where? What are his belts in?

The master instructor started training in 1970, so I assume around fifty? The 2nd Dan is only an assistant. I do feel better about it now I know black belts at higher levels and lower ages are more common than I foolishly assumed.

tarepanda posted:

Also, if it's a muay thai place, why are they using dan? The dan/kyuu system is Japanese. That sets off warning bells in my head.

It looks like it's mainly a Tae-Kwon-Doe place with Muay Thai lessons that started this September. It's called 'Muay Thai: Master Toddy's System' and http://www.mastertoddy.com/ is apparently the website for it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Tae Kwon Do is Korean; they shouldn't be using dan/kyuu either, honestly.

That guy sure LOOKS fishy, but his history (if accurate and unspun) is pretty good. I can't hold his name against him since he's Thai. He may just be the victim of a McDojo-like website and advertising. :x

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
I've met Master Toddy when I was in thailand and he was a nice guy, but my understanding is that he built a great reputation but now is using it as a cash cow from the Thai fighters and teachers at my gym and stadium: a student who once trained at my old MT school was an instructor in one of Toddy's gyms, yet my teachers felt that he was at best intermediate (implying that I was better than him after 3-4 months training MT full time in thailand) and that apparently was no exception for the quality of the instruction in his gyms.

He tried to recruit my friend to become one of his Tuff Girls but it was strongly hinted by Thais that there are apparently sexual favours involved...

rhazes fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 4, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Strangely, the kyokushin place I checked out also ended the session with hapkido; must keep the parents happy or something. Everyone's deathly afraid of having someone grab their wrist as thats how most confrontation starts....

The "grab the wrist" thing in Hapkido gets a bad rap. Really that is just an easy way to get white belts started on techniques as well as getting them comfortable with contact. Once students start to gain some control they move into doing the techniques off of pushes, punches, hugs, etc. Nobody actually expects stuff to start from somebody grabbing their wrist.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I know a girl at Iowa State who's interested in Judo,. The club there is good, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

deathbot posted:

It looks like it's mainly a Tae-Kwon-Do place with Muay Thai lessons that started this September. It's called 'Muay Thai: Master Toddy's System' and http://www.mastertoddy.com/ is apparently the website for it.

That'll be pretty watered down. If the instructor teaching the MT material is new to it himself, and is going by Master Toddy's affiliate/certification/whatever program, he's not gonna be that qualified to take you more than a couple of months into Muay Thai.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

NovemberMike posted:

I know a girl at Iowa State who's interested in Judo,. The club there is good, right?

Last time I was out there they had around 80 people on the mat. The head instructor is a 7th Dan who walked off the Korean national team when his visa to the US came through back in the 70s, plus 2 fifth Dan assistants, one an A level ref and the other a former international competitor (she does most of the tournament coaching). Also a number of 1st and 2nd degree guys who still compete. They also have a decent number of females that she would have as workout partners.

Outside of California there aren't many places that can boast that.

TravellinDan
Feb 20, 2006

Wa...ter?
I did a grading on Saturday (passed!), was 5 hours long, and was happy when it was over. So, with the next belt comes new strength requirements, and in this case, fingertip push-ups are tacked on. Supposed strengthen our "tiger claws" or something goofy like that I imagine. My concern is whether or not these are actually safe to do for the long term. I've seen things like finger push ups before, but I hadn't heard of doing them on the tips. Anyone have experience with this?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

TravellinDan posted:

I did a grading on Saturday (passed!), was 5 hours long, and was happy when it was over. So, with the next belt comes new strength requirements, and in this case, fingertip push-ups are tacked on. Supposed strengthen our "tiger claws" or something goofy like that I imagine. My concern is whether or not these are actually safe to do for the long term. I've seen things like finger push ups before, but I hadn't heard of doing them on the tips. Anyone have experience with this?

The fact that finger tip pushups are a part of your belt grading is a bit of a red flag but there is nothing really unsafe about them.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HATE MONDAYS posted:

The fact that finger tip pushups are a part of your belt grading is a bit of a red flag but there is nothing really unsafe about them.

its kung fu m8, the fingertip pushups follow "standing on a post for 3 hours"

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

There's nothing unsafe about doing pushups on your fingers but trying to hit people with your fingers can mess them up...

TravellinDan
Feb 20, 2006

Wa...ter?

NovemberMike posted:

There's nothing unsafe about doing pushups on your fingers but trying to hit people with your fingers can mess them up...

Yeah we don't spar with them or anything like that. Think it is part of the "traditional" aspect of the curriculum.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

deathbot posted:

Oh, and I have to pay $25 for an introductory lesson.

Avoid that poo poo.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

So, organized a 50 man Krav Maga workshop for some student friends, as part of a general welcome to town introduction. Made sure to invite some buddies who are into MT and MMA, and grabbed them for a few of the exercises. It is amusing how happy I get from having my friends beat the poo poo out of me.

Then someone asked me to demonstrate a proper bitchslap, which I did, and promptly felt bad over making his ears ring. Welp!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Thanks, everyone. Avoiding that poo poo now in progress. I've gone outside my local range and I found a Gracie Jiu Jitsu place and a big gym in the city that does Roots Jiu Jitsu, MMA and Muay Thai. They all look to have proper qualified instructors and are a lot more solid prospect, so I'll be checking them out. There's no point dropping 100+ a month if I'm not going to learn anything except 'How to be target practice.'

It already took me way too long post childhood mcdojo Tae-Kwon-Doe to learn Hands Should Be Protecting Your Bloody Face, Not Fancily Posed By Your Side.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

deathbot posted:

Tae-Kwon-Doe

You keep saying this. It has nothing to do with deer.

Tae Kwon Do.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
ok, 2 horrible practices in a row... gently caress that poo poo.

Also my shoulder is hosed up, think this will need some physio and may be rest :(,loving poo poo I don't want to rest now with a comp coming in less than 2 months...

stupid body that can't withstand as much abuse as I'd like!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

For all the judo goons, I've been learning the Jason Morris Tai-otoshi variation that is pretty awesome. It works primarily out of a right v. left situation, and its functions more like a hip throw, with your legs coming across and taking out their lower body as you pull. If it sounds weird, it's because it is, but at the same time its very effective.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

ok, 2 horrible practices in a row... gently caress that poo poo.

Also my shoulder is hosed up, think this will need some physio and may be rest :(,loving poo poo I don't want to rest now with a comp coming in less than 2 months...

stupid body that can't withstand as much abuse as I'd like!

I feel you mate. I'm out of my first comp too. I'm loving devastated. I told everyone I know my first comp coming up in 4 days and everyone's excited and now my shoulder's totally hosed. No idea why some green belt would totally smash me onto my shoulder and fall on top of me with all his weight too a week and a half out of my first comp. Egos I guess. I wake up in the middle of the night in excrutiating pain because in my sleep I just turn on my right side automatically.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

swmmrmanshen posted:

For all the judo goons, I've been learning the Jason Morris Tai-otoshi variation that is pretty awesome. It works primarily out of a right v. left situation, and its functions more like a hip throw, with your legs coming across and taking out their lower body as you pull. If it sounds weird, it's because it is, but at the same time its very effective.

I'm not exactly sure what the Morris variation is (got a video?), but I was always told that a tai otoshi that connects with your hip becomes a seoi otoshi.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I'm not exactly sure what the Morris variation is (got a video?), but I was always told that a tai otoshi that connects with your hip becomes a seoi otoshi.

It's quite weird, and from what I've been told, he does a number of things weird/non-standard. I'll try and take a video soon.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I've had a training log for a year or so now and did an in-depth expert analysis of it yesterday. Mostly because I was too hopped up on a good training session with a boxing basic course (boy do those small girls love the mitts when they goes BANG!) and could not sleep. I have no particular objectives or targets.

These are my findings:

On a regular month I train 4 days a week (often includes more than one class a day) and roughly 25+ hours a month. This including any injuries, vacations or sick days, I still end up averaging about that by putting in a little more work if I miss days. As said that isn't a target as such but apparently suits my physiology (or the mental side, since you guys we go crazy if we don't train enough) to automatically achieve this. I also often find myself in a pattern of 3 days a week with multiple classes followed by 5 days a week with slightly shorter sessions for one reason or other. Probably because I'm hungover during the weekend at least every other week and don't train. Or just rest for a few days on row.

During the summer there is a 8 week period when our club is open only 4 days a week and my hours drop to minus 20 and 2-3 exercises a week (I'm not much of an outdoor sportsman)... including instructing classes, yet I log those as personal exercise: I do most of the calisthenics, warm-ups and stretching with the class i.e. break a serious sweat and get a decent workout despite. Come on, people log it when they clean or go shopping so it's not like I'M cheating.

I apparently go into an overdrive mode every 3 to 4 months when I put in 35+ hours and average 5-6 days of exercise a week, usually coinciding with upcoming fights or the spring. That'd be a great regular month target, but any injuries or sick days usually gently caress those kind of numbers up. Since I don't have a history of serious competing nor am I in my 20s anymore it might a little too much as well through the year.

So now I know how much I actually train!

Also this post is of no interest to anyone but me, yet I had to type it because after studying the charts they started spinning inside my mostly vacant head in an asperger-like manner and I'm in hopes posting the numbers here ejects them from my "head" thereby stopping me from 'sperging about loving monthly hours and exercise days per week since what's the point as long as you are having fun.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Bah, my new job has kept me away from training for the last couple of weeks. Should stabilize next week, though, and maybe I'll get this friday in.
I'm apparently security personell at a hospital now, and one of my duties as a new scrub will apparently be to sit guard over suicidal patients and occasinally holding down patients being medicated by force.

Gonna get that top mount on a depressed 16 year old goth girl and just sit there for 8 hours.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Yeah, a lot of people confuse the two. But if you are doing tai o toshi with hip contact it is definitely seoi o toshi.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Went to the MMA gym for muay thai last night. It was way better than the place I came from.

One thing I hate about going to a new place with some experience is that you're usually in for a beating on your first day as they feel you out.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Last time I was out there they had around 80 people on the mat. The head instructor is a 7th Dan who walked off the Korean national team when his visa to the US came through back in the 70s, plus 2 fifth Dan assistants, one an A level ref and the other a former international competitor (she does most of the tournament coaching). Also a number of 1st and 2nd degree guys who still compete. They also have a decent number of females that she would have as workout partners.

Outside of California there aren't many places that can boast that.

Thanks, I'll let her know that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

CaptainScraps posted:

Went to the MMA gym for muay thai last night. It was way better than the place I came from.

One thing I hate about going to a new place with some experience is that you're usually in for a beating on your first day as they feel you out.

The other side of this is sometimes it sucks being the most active black belt in a club because you are expected to pair up with any visiting black belts in Randori and beat them the first session, every time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

deathbot posted:

I found a local gym with beginner Muay Thai lessons, but in the process of asking about the gym it was said:
That women did Tae Kwon Doe there and that would be best when I asked about classes.

The website states:
You apparently have to take an extra class to spar (although that might just be for Tae-Kwon-Doe.)

Oh, and I have to pay $25 for an introductory lesson. It does seem to have a lot of awards, but all the awards are for Tae Kwon Doe competitions where a lot of people are winning gold and silver.

I'm a newbie to martial arts, but I've got warning bells ringing. Did I stumble on a mcdojo, or is this normal?

I'm late to this party but this gym has like 3 or 4 of the "bad bad McDojo" warning signs. The odds of them being legitimate are extremely low.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, a lot of people confuse the two. But if you are doing tai o toshi with hip contact it is definitely seoi o toshi.

It's not a seoi-toshi....the weight never gets loaded on the back/doesn't go over the back. It's a very unique throw, and I hope that when I get a chance to take a video it's cleared up. It's really cool so I though I would share.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

the weight never gets loaded on the back/doesn't go over the back.

Still interested in seeing the throw

The weight doesn't go over the back on a seoi o toshi. It still is a pop that takes them in a circle over the leg. The difference between a seoi o toshi and a tai o toshi is that tai o toshi is pure te waza while a seoi o toshi also includes a hip pop in addition to the leg pop. The fulcrum point is still the same as is the path of the uke's fall.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just did an hour of breakfalls/fall into rolls at Krav Maga, followed by a bunch of exhaustion drills. Feels good, man. Sure, the falls aren't flashy or anything that sounds impressive, but getting that all drilled in is important, even if it's just review (and me trying to break some sort of horrible habit that grew its way into my rolls), and I forgot how much of a workout that poo poo is. My arms and abs are killing me after an hour of just doing them nonstop. Then being swarmed by people with football pads and practice knives. Good times.

Question for the other KM goons, which organization sponsors your gym? The one I go to is run by the IKMF, which I'm really liking. Great instructors and low dues. Gotta love nonprofits.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Sixth training day on row, I must admit my legs are starting a feel a little heavy during such exertions as "walking up the stairs".

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Ligur posted:

Sixth training day on row, I must admit my legs are starting a feel a little heavy during such exertions as "walking up the stairs".

You know it's a good training camp when laying perfectly still in bed aches. Everywhere.

Any reason you're working so hard? Getting ready for anything? Sorry if you said it before and I missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TheStampede posted:

You know it's a good training camp when laying perfectly still in bed aches. Everywhere.

Any reason you're working so hard? Getting ready for anything? Sorry if you said it before and I missed it.

We might have exhibition fights or a small gym competition coming in a month or two.

Also because I feel like training until I really can't! :haw:

edit: gently caress it appears slightly over three weeks until we have some fights. Probable opponents are way ahead right now. Having trained well for at least a month or two and/or have 20+ fights on me. Maybe I should just start drinking heavily and skip it! :v:

Ligur fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 6, 2011

• Locked thread