Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazzo
Jun 22, 2006

Darth Windu posted:

Why all the hate for the 'Stop? They're ridiculously convenient, they'll pay you a decent price for your used games...I don't see anything wrong with them. Maybe because mine is clean and staffed by friendly, knowledgeable people.

They have lovely business practices, such as the Deus Ex Human Revolution OnLive coupon fiasco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Baggot posted:

Spray it with some Goo Gone and let it sit for a minute. poo poo comes right off. Of course, then you have to wipe everything down again to remove the citrus oil sheen.

Goo Gone is some of the best poo poo ever made.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I input my collector's code to download the soundtrack. Just as the soundtrack started downloading, my computer crashed. Is there any way to access the page for it again?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Darth Windu posted:

Why all the hate for the 'Stop? They're ridiculously convenient, they'll pay you a decent price for your used games...

Wow. Buddy I don't know how to tell you this, but I'll just be direct: you're a chump. Giving you, AT MOST, 55% of the game's value in store credit (translates to about 35% "real money" to them) is not a "decent price"; you can almost always do better on eBay or Craiglist. I used to beg my former roommate - a serial game-flipper - not to trade in his poo poo at GameStop and to list in on eBay at their trade-in price plus 25%; he finally relented and after seeing how much more money he was getting he thanked me profusely.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

Why all the hate for the 'Stop? They're ridiculously convenient, they'll pay you a decent price for your used games...I don't see anything wrong with them. Maybe because mine is clean and staffed by friendly, knowledgeable people.

You can easily sell your game locally for a lot more than GameStop would give you. Amazon also consistently gives you more for your games.

My GameStop is always really uncomfortable because the staff kisses rear end like crazy. It must work or something because you can't walk a few feet before several employees got their puckered lips directly on your butthole complementing your taste in games or something equally inane. Last time I want to buy Catherine and the guy at the register told me I smelled really good. I pretended not to hear and he repeated louder that I SMELLED REALLY GOOD. Weird place.

Rakanakle fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 4, 2011

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
I'm sitting at work with my copy in hand. It's been a slightly frustrating day, but somehow I still want to go home and play this game knowing that it is the epiphany of frustration.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

mdemone posted:

Hurray, had no idea the collector's edition was the same price as the regular box. Picked up the local Best Buy's last copy, thirty minutes after they opened :stare:

Now to stumble through another few hours of work before going home to get my rear end stomped into the ground all night. (I didn't play Demon's Souls, so I only have a vague idea of what I'm in for, but I'm sure it's going to be glorious, glorious death.)

I like to think that I've become pretty good at Demon's Souls over the past few years, and Dark Souls is kinda sorta kicking my rear end.

Rakanakle posted:

My GameStop is always really uncomfortable because the staff kisses rear end like crazy. It must work or something because you can't walk a few feet before several employees got their puckered lips directly on your butthole complementing your taste in games or something equally inane. Last time I want to buy Catherine and the guy at the register told me I smelled really good. I pretended not to hear and he repeated louder that I SMELLED REALLY GOOD. Weird place.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 4, 2011

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Just got back from a lunch-break Best Buy visit. For those who hate Gamestop (me included), Best Buy hasn't failed me once. I never pre order anything and just go on release day to pick it up. They must've had like 50 copies just sitting on the shelf when I walked up.

I have a serious problem now: the work day isn't over for another 4 hours and I have this game on my desk just looking (laughing) at me. ;/

So pumped to die tonight.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
So Amazon says they estimate my game to arrive today but still has the status "not shipped yet.

I'm about to click cancel and head into town to pick it up. Bastards!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
My God, this game is hard.

Some tips: The Masterkey will activate if you open a door that uses it. It is NOT a one time use item. The 360 version seems to have odd slow down when there's a long draw distance. Not bad slowdown but maybe four five frames. And even though it's installed, the game spins the disc in the drive for a bit. There was also a 3MB patch released today but I don't know what it does.

Also, the Dragon Bridge is very hit or miss. Sometimes it'll swoop down and roast you, other times it'll just sit there and chill out. I think the Warrior is a better choice for me as I'm rushing way too much.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

frosteh posted:

Just got back from a lunch-break Best Buy visit. For those who hate Gamestop (me included), Best Buy hasn't failed me once. I never pre order anything and just go on release day to pick it up. They must've had like 50 copies just sitting on the shelf when I walked up.

I have a serious problem now: the work day isn't over for another 4 hours and I have this game on my desk just looking (laughing) at me. ;/

So pumped to die tonight.

I know the feeling. It's just sitting there on my desk leering at me. 2 hours to go!

VVV Any other game and I'd think that's a joke, but in this instance, I believe you.

Apathetic Artist fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 4, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The.GreyWolf posted:

There was also a 3MB patch released today but I don't know what it does.

From Patch Notes:

3mb update to Game - 10/4/11 - Increased Difficulty of Encounters.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Talran posted:

Yes there is Down the stairs I believe leads back into/around it

Do you mean Downstairs like that little downward stairway behind where the boar spawns, or downstairs like the portcullis behind you when you enter the area, because both are dead ends to me.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Haha holy poo poo gently caress that thing by the blacksmith in Undead Parish. I don't know what the gently caress it is, but I hate it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, I am torn between starting as Deprived (in true Dark Souls spirit) or going Thief so I can get both the Master Key and Pendant. Which should I pick?

VVV I will leap over the counter if this happens. I paid in full, they better have a copy waiting.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Fuckin Gamestop had a ton of 360 non-preorder copies and ZERO PS3 non preorder copies. What the gently caress. I refuse to preorder poo poo and now I get to traipse around town looking for the game I want.

I will die tonight if it kills me!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Can we have a separate thread for "I chose to order this game online/not pre-order/whatever this highly anticipated game and am shocked beyond belief that it's not in my hands yet" posts?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Welp just found a Zweihander in the very first area. Wonder how long it'll be til I can use it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Are all the weapons viable? What kind of stats should I think about to use a scythe well?

CyanideRush
Apr 14, 2004
OK, I think I'd settled on starting as The Warrior and first focusing on raising the stats needed to get some Pyromancy going on as a supplement.

Bonus: I really like the roman looking armor the Warrior starts with.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
To counter the "OH GOD ITS NOT HERE AMAZON :argh:" Posts:

I looked at the tracking in my order and it said it was still in Jersey; so I took the tracking code and put it in at the UPS site, it says it's sitting at my house right now. :dance:

Now, just 3 more hours of work and I will die a horrible horrible death!

I've decided on Deprived, gonna go in true 'Souls style.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Determining which system to buy this on in the toughest decision I've ever had to make :negative:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Neo Rasa posted:

Can we have a separate thread for "I chose to order this game online/not pre-order/whatever this highly anticipated game and am shocked beyond belief that it's not in my hands yet" posts?

It's also from a publisher that is known for not sending out a huge amount of games to retailers. You don't really see stacks of Disgaea 4 and Devil Survivor sitting on shelves.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Oh man I'm stuck at the 2nd campfire in the game. I keep dying either on the way to, or right at some big loving taurus boss on the wall. I tried rolling around him and attacking his back but he turned and hit me each time...not sure how to progress.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Nigulus Rex posted:

Oh man I'm stuck at the 2nd campfire in the game. I keep dying either on the way to, or right at some big loving taurus boss on the wall. I tried rolling around him and attacking his back but he turned and hit me each time...not sure how to progress.

Climb up the ladder near the entrance and jump attack him. Lead him away from it and repeat until he dies.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy

Defiant Sally posted:

Determining which system to buy this on in the toughest decision I've ever had to make :negative:

I feel you bro :sigh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How do saves work? Does it save every time I use a bonfire?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It is constantly auto-saving.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008

Nigulus Rex posted:

I totally cheesed him by just standing right under his legs and hacking away. It's not foolproof because I got hit a few times, but its much better than anything else I tried. Giantbomb just kept lobbing flame grenades at him. If you have them.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Have the game for PS3 and the strategy guide. I cannot believe I bought a strategy guide, but holy poo poo is this thing cool. 383 pages, hard cover, with an absolute poo poo ton of information. Now I want to try not to read it yet, but this is making a good run to replacing my I pad 2 on the shitter for a while.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm off to work now. Mine's been 'out for delivery' for 3 hours but I am pretty sure I won't get it till the afternoon, it's not on my doorstep. I have prepared by cooking many meals in advance, and I did some extra work late last night.

Also it looks like the guide on amazon has 2 versions: the one which is out of print, and an identical version that appears on the 7th. Is the guide available at all gamestops or something? I might just cancel and get it there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Whoah, the game massively glitched out on me. I was fighting a skeleton and I fell through the floor. How am I supposed to get that bloodstain!?

Edit: Ok, there it is. Still, that was a bullshit death not on my part.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I went to activate my CE code but the website seemed to hang so I went to re-enter it. Now it's saying it's been activated. Is there any way to find my download again? I want my free stuff :(

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thundercracker posted:

Man, I am torn between starting as Deprived (in true Dark Souls spirit) or going Thief so I can get both the Master Key and Pendant. Which should I pick?

I went Deprived. Starting with virtually no armor is pretty tough, and you don't get anything great from enemies right off the bat -- literally scraps. That said, gently caress YEAH DEPRIVED + PENDANT.

Starting with a Master Key (Thief) is probably pretty handy though, since there are a number of locked doors/gates pretty early on. Might lead to... something good? something bad?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Capsaicin posted:

It's also from a publisher that is known for not sending out a huge amount of games to retailers. You don't really see stacks of Disgaea 4 and Devil Survivor sitting on shelves.

Why does everyone keep saying this? Atlus didn't publish Dark Souls (or Disgaea 4 for that matter, that was Nippon Ichi), they published Demon's Souls. If you want to bitch, bitch at Namco, they're the ones behind it this time.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

enojy posted:

I went Deprived. Starting with virtually no armor is pretty tough, and you don't get anything great from enemies right off the bat -- literally scraps. That said, gently caress YEAH DEPRIVED + PENDANT.

Starting with a Master Key (Thief) is probably pretty handy though, since there are a number of locked doors/gates pretty early on. Might lead to... something good? something bad?

Wait, what's special about Deprived+Pendant? I thought it was a pure plot item.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Phoix posted:

Climb up the ladder near the entrance and jump attack him. Lead him away from it and repeat until he dies.

Thanks...I don't know what I'm doing but I just can't make it back to that point again. The trash mobs keeps killing me, and loving respawns every time I die is ridiculous.

LameDevil
Mar 12, 2011

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I don't understand the issue people are having with the Bull Demon.

I beat him by using simple spear+shield. I was able to block his attacks then counter, rinse, repeat. I died the first few times thinking his attacks were unblockable and trying some rolling shenanigans, but when I treated him as a normal enemy he was easy.

edit: also if you break the barrels right outside his fog wall there is some blue shiny critter that runs around. Kill it and you get some item upgrade items. Is this something that spoils?

edit2: can someone please explain where the self repair item is in more detail than the general location?

LameDevil fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 4, 2011

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Hey people I have questions, I never played Demon's so these might be stupid:

1.) Can you repair weapons and armor once they break (hit 0 or whatever)? I'm rocking that drake sword and would hate to permanently lose it.

2.) Do better shields improve (i.e. lower) the amount of stamina drained when you block a hit?

Detective No. 27 posted:

How do saves work? Does it save every time I use a bonfire?

You can quit through the menu and you'll load back in right where you were, even with enemies around you. Bonfires are just where you respawn if you die and level up and such, they usually make pretty good safe areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

redreader posted:

I'm off to work now. Mine's been 'out for delivery' for 3 hours but I am pretty sure I won't get it till the afternoon, it's not on my doorstep. I have prepared by cooking many meals in advance, and I did some extra work late last night.

Also it looks like the guide on amazon has 2 versions: the one which is out of print, and an identical version that appears on the 7th. Is the guide available at all gamestops or something? I might just cancel and get it there.

I bought mine at Gamestop, and also didn't preorder my game. Just picked up both on my way home. I am very impressed with it. Although I have not bought a strategy guide ever in my life, so the only thing I can compare it too is the "manuals" online ina PDF format.

• Locked thread