Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Cool, went down to the Londo area, then up some stairs into Drake's Valley...was walking across a bridge, saw something odd, like a weird tree...got a bit closer- OH GOD DRAGON!!! But wait...he' doesn't seem to be moving at all, and his skin seems almost rotting...dead dragon! :buddy: And some items...run up, grab a sword, start to grab a shield- gently caress< DRAGON IS VERY ALIVE! He kills me with one swipe of a tail, or claw, or whatever...but I got the items first. :smug:

Was able to run back down and get my souls and not die, too, because now he decided to use some sort of acid breath that was pretty easy to avoid.

But I don't have high enough faith to use the sword, yet. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Just broke a controller :smug:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hey guys, if you make it into the woods watch out for the tree people. They can loving eat you while you try to block them. I went from full health to a butterfly's fart from death by the time it spit me out. If you see them rear back with their whole body back the gently caress up.

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

So I just got to darkroot garden and I got ate by a loving bush. This game :argh:

So any tips on how to beat the giant armored knight dude here past the first fog door? It seems like he just puts a permanent slow on me and whallops on my rear end.

It's not permanent, but it sure lasts for a long time.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Demtor posted:

Glad I wasn't the only one, good Christ I was kicking those guys around for a really.... really, long time. Thought I had explored the "up" part already. Time to start paying more attention.

I'm stuck here as well. Can't go down because of the ghosts and the skeletons aren't even giving me souls. Buncha jerks!

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

So I just got to darkroot garden and I got ate by a loving bush. This game :argh:

Scared the gently caress out of me the first time it happened. gently caress grab moves.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Unknown_PC posted:

One thing to note about pyromancy is that their spell damage scales off their pyro catalyst upgrades and not so much from INT or faith.

Intelligence doesn't boost pyromancy at all, or just less than sorcery?

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Can't wait to pick this up after class tomorrow afternoon. I only got to play a little of Demon Souls over the years as I never owned a ps3, but I am looking forward to this.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Just chiming in with some more grumbling about shipping issues. Amazon DID ship my copy yesterday, but UPS has apparently been sitting on the package in the same place for 24 hours according to the tracking information, even though the estimated delivery was for today. I'm seriously never ordering another game I'm really excited for over the internet again.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 5, 2011

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Republicans posted:

Run across the bridge along the right side. Around where all those guards are is a staircase on the right. If you're quick you can get down that before the fire comes, and even if you do get it it should be glancing and not outright kill you (provided you didn't eat too many arrows running in). From down there you can access the top of the bonfire room and kick a ladder down to make a shortcut. Then you can cross under the bridge and into the undead church area.

Bonus Weapon Spoiler: From under the bridge you may notice the dragon's tail waving about, all vulnerable-like. Shoot enough arrows into it and you'll cut it off and earn the Dragon Saber, a 200dmg sword that will tear poo poo up early in the game.

How does that area access the bonfire room? It just takes me across the bottom of the bridge to the rat room, then up on the other side of the gate with the bonfire (ie blocking me) with the boar and skeletons...I can't get to that bonfire for the life of me.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
I knew I wasn't crazy about the whole Amazon preorders. My intention is not to get all "I told you so", but it did seem like every release had multiple people complaining about not getting their copies within the first week.

I'm just glad I was able to cancel my copy and find a new one locally while driving around.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
How useless is the Tiny Being's Ring? thinking of rerolling for a master key or pendant.

Gary Dupre
Aug 11, 2008

75PUP/37DNK
Thanks to evilalien's advice I backtracked and found my way around, managed to beat the Bell Gargoyles with the help of sun guy, but now I'm at a slight loss for what to do, the only path I can think of is the one I mentioned earlier with the Capra Demon. But I just get cleaved to death in 2 seconds against it, I'm at a loss here. My soul level is 18, using Drake Sword as my main weapon, any suggestions?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Nigulus Rex posted:

How does that area access the bonfire room? It just takes me across the bottom of the bridge to the rat room, then up on the other side of the gate with the bonfire (ie blocking me) with the boar and skeletons...I can't get to that bonfire for the life of me.

When you go down the stairs after running across the bridge there are 2 exits. One takes you under the bridge and towards the rats, and the other leads you to the top of the bonfire room where you can kick a ladder down to make a shortcut back up.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

Jimbot posted:

Where is the Pyromancer trainer? I want more fire magics. While I'm at it, where's the Sorcery trainer? I want to infuse my character with all the magic there is.

For the first pyromancy and sorcery trainers:
Pyromancer is rescued in the Depths. After meeting the first butcher, go through the water area (2 dogs + 1 undead). Turn left once you exit the water area, the pyromancer will be trapped around the corner. Roll to break the barrels, do not attack.

Sorcerer is rescued from the lower section of Undead Burg (coming from dragon bridge's door). You'll need to buy a key from the merchant first to unlock his door.

There is a blacksmith in the ruins below Firelink that teaches you some basic sorcery.

For higher tier pyromancy/sorcery trainers:
Witch in the swamp, outside the boss cave near one of the pillars will teach you highend pyro spells. You need to upgrade your pyro catalyst to a certain level for her to show up.

For sorcery, you'll need to rescue a NPC in Sen's Fortress. When you're at the rock dispensing mechanism, move it counter-clockwise once and it'll smash through a wall. You'll find the NPC inside a cage through the smashed wall.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Just chiming in with some more grumbling about shipping issues. Amazon DID ship my copy yesterday, but UPS has apparently been sitting on the package in the same place for 24 hours according to the tracking information, even though the estimated delivery was for today. I'm seriously never ordering another game I'm really excited for over the internet again.

Yeah, amazon just emailed me my shipping conformation. I don't really mind it being late, I just would have liked a update saying that it will be here on the 5th.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gary Dupre posted:

Thanks to evilalien's advice I backtracked and found my way around, managed to beat the Bell Gargoyles with the help of sun guy, but now I'm at a slight loss for what to do, the only path I can think of is the one I mentioned earlier with the Capra Demon. But I just get cleaved to death in 2 seconds against it, I'm at a loss here. My soul level is 18, using Drake Sword as my main weapon, any suggestions?

How the hell do you get him to help you? This would be a life saver, it is loving infuriating.

Gary Dupre
Aug 11, 2008

75PUP/37DNK

Bobnumerotres posted:

How the hell do you get him to help you? This would be a life saver, it is loving infuriating.

You need to be in human form to summon a phantom, sun guy is no exception. Plus you obviously need the item he gives you.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

You need to talk to him before the dragon bridge a few times until he gives you the stone, and then you can summon him before a few bosses as long as you're in human form.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Crowbear posted:

You need to talk to him before the dragon bridge a few times until he gives you the stone, and then you can summon him before a few bosses as long as you're in human form.

Speaking of which anyone know a quick way to get some humanity? I need that dude's help badly.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Yesss. Thank you, I will try this in the morning as I died to those assholes about 13 times in a row and I'm at my limit. On one occasion I even got both of them down to <50 Hp. :negative:

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
So I'm about 3.5 hours in, loving the more open world but I have a defining 'demon/dark souls' moment.

I was running the Taurus knight for about the 4th time. The first time I fought him on the rampart, doing really quite well. On my subsequent tries I took him up to the tower with the gold resin which got me killed 3 times in a row. Now without any resin I just decided "gently caress it , I'll fight him on me I said "gently caress it, I'll just fight him on the rampart". I took it to him, had us both with a sliver of life and tried to sneak in the last hit but his hammer was already coming and we both die. "you have defeated" splashes across the screen. On my run up to my corpse I end up dying, losing the 4500 souls I had plus whatever the boss gave me. Then I realize, gently caress you dark souls, I don't need that 10000 souls I had. The real gain was learning how to kill your 1st level boss by standing under his balls and slashing him with my scimitar. You won't pull any punches and neither will I; I can't wait till I can get some magic and pull a demons souls against dark souls. Bring it.

But seriously, how many souls did I miss on that boss?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Gary Dupre posted:

Did you find the Blacksmith in the Parish? Right after you get off of the shortcut elevator, you just go straight until you hear him below you. The entrance to the forest is right near him if you want to explore there. Other than that, your other real option is the Capra Demon.

Reive posted:

Speaking of which anyone know a quick way to get some humanity? I need that dude's help badly.

Get summoned and help somebody else take out a boss. Or just go murder a bunch of rats (they can drop it).

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Pikey posted:

So I'm about 3.5 hours in, loving the more open world but I have a defining 'demon/dark souls' moment.

I was running the Taurus knight for about the 4th time. The first time I fought him on the rampart, doing really quite well. On my subsequent tries I took him up to the tower with the gold resin which got me killed 3 times in a row. Now without any resin I just decided "gently caress it , I'll fight him on me I said "gently caress it, I'll just fight him on the rampart". I took it to him, had us both with a sliver of life and tried to sneak in the last hit but his hammer was already coming and we both die. "you have defeated" splashes across the screen. On my run up to my corpse I end up dying, losing the 4500 souls I had plus whatever the boss gave me. Then I realize, gently caress you dark souls, I don't need that 10000 souls I had. The real gain was learning how to kill your 1st level boss by standing under his balls and slashing him with my scimitar. You won't pull any punches and neither will I; I can't wait till I can get some magic and pull a demons souls against dark souls. Bring it.

1000. It's really not that big of a deal.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I guess it's neat that some of the enemies can riposte you, but when some of them can one-shot you with one of their normal attacks, I don't see a reason to give them the ability to one-shot you with one of your attacks.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So how is everyone liking the difficulty? I never played Demon Souls as I never had a PS3 but if this is as well regarded and balanced as I heard the first one was then it sounds like a treat.

Also quoting myself for an answer.

Red Mundus posted:

I checked the first post and God forgive me if this is in the OP, but I don't have a gold xbox account and as such cannot play multiplayer. Will I run into problems because of this? I only ask because Dark Souls has a very....unique, to say the least, online component and I don't want to drop $60 and find out I'm missing 50% of the game.

For example, will I be able to see player messages if I don't have gold? Apologies if this is a stupid/ignorant question as I hardly use my Xbox and don't know poo poo about how xbox live fully works in regards to multiplayer/co-op.

Thanks!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pikey posted:

Only 1000, he doesn't give you poo poo considering he's basically a mini-vanguard.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

okay I was stuck before and now I'm stuck again maybe... just got a fire keeper soul and a basement key after beating a guy with a huge shield and a huge mace. Am I done here? I don't see anywhere else to go?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Krinkle posted:

okay I was stuck before and now I'm stuck again maybe... just got a fire keeper soul and a basement key after beating a guy with a huge shield and a huge mace. Am I done here? I don't see anywhere else to go?

Are you in the church? If so, then go upstairs.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Go up for your most infuriating fight yet!

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Krinkle posted:

There's a stairwell and an elevator in that room. The elevator goes back to Firelink Shrine and the stairwell goes to a boss and the first bell.

edit: welp beaten a bunch.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo these monsters will chase you all the way. I don't think they ever give up, but maybe they run out of stamina because sometimes they start walking as if they were just taking a break.

As soon as I see something running at me that's way taller/bigger than me (I suddenly realize I'm off the beaten path) I book it, but there's no escape :(

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Reive posted:

I have a question regarding this, I seem to keep getting 1 or 2 humanity when simply killing dudes trying to get to the Taurus boss. On a whim when I got 01 humanity I tried the "Reverse Hollow" option, and it said I regained my body. Is it really this easy now to get your body back? What is the point of having an asston of humanity?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Krinkle posted:

There's a staircase in the church you're at, it leads up to the boss I'm currently stuck on.

Reive
May 21, 2009

KGBAgent185 posted:

I have a question regarding this, I seem to keep getting 1 or 2 humanity when simply killing dudes trying to get to the Taurus boss. On a whim when I got 01 humanity I tried the "Reverse Hollow" option, and it said I regained my body. Is it really this easy now to get your body back? What is the point of having an asston of humanity?

Humanity increases the item drop rate, your defense, and there are apparently some weapons that get stat multipliers for it.
EDIT: gently caress I double posted, sorry!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Crowbear posted:

Where does his sign show up? I used a humanity item and then the white stone he gave me and I couldn't get anything to happen.

Oh goddammit, you have to spend the humanity at a bonfire don't you?

Gary Dupre
Aug 11, 2008

75PUP/37DNK

evilalien posted:

Did you find the Blacksmith in the Parish? Right after you get off of the shortcut elevator, you just go straight until you hear him below you. The entrance to the forest is right near him if you want to explore there. Other than that, your other real option is the Capra Demon.

I was afraid of that, at least I won't have to go wandering for anything I theoretically missed. Thanks. Maybe I'll grab some humanity and see if anyone wants to phantom on the boss.

Edit: What really pisses me off is the zombie dogs with the Capra Demon, as if it wasn't hard enough alone.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Anyone have a suggestion for a new weapon? I have been using a sword/shield with the drake sword. However, i just beat the swamps and i really don't feel like the sword is cutting it any more. I really have no idea, what would be a good replacement. Any ideas?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

The Wise Teen posted:

Where does his sign show up? I used a humanity item and then the white stone he gave me and I couldn't get anything to happen.

It's literally right next to the door to the boss. You don't actually need to use the item for anything, his sign will just show up at that point.

e: Did you actually reverse hollow? Just using an item to give yourself humanity won't get you back to human form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Crowbear posted:

Are you in the church? If so, then go upstairs.

the guy shooting at me made me miss the ups and downs in that side, thank you.

Side note: why can't I double up on heal since I have attunement slots? do I have to buy a second heal?

• Locked thread