Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Also for all the pyromancers out there, the Pyromancy Flame does not scale with INT at the base level, but at +5 it scales with a D, at +10 it's a B, and +15 it's an S. So your INT won't go to waste once you find the pyromancy trainer.

What about us Pyromancers who gave our flames to the crow for twinkly goodies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Where do you go to upgrade your estus flask If the mute woman is dead?

Also, how do you access the secret boss of the Undead Asylum?

1. certain covenant leaders will do it for you
2. go back to the asylum where you fought the first boss and fall down the hole. to get back to the asylum you need to enable the firelink shrine elevator... (follow the guide in the OP to trade with the crow and remove curses)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Redchaostry posted:

What about us Pyromancers who gave our flames to the crow for twinkly goodies?

You get a new one once you rescue the pyromancer trainer from the depths

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Crowbear posted:

Yeah any time you see an enemy put up their weapon instead of their shield it's a cue to back off.

Or kick him in the nuts!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

You get a new one once you rescue the pyromancer trainer from the depths

Actually someone posted earlier in this thread that he couldn't get another flame this way because he was "already a pyromancer." He could have been wrong but I dunno.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Is there a way to get all the way back to the top of Blighttown once you've gone down to the very bottom?

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
So, I accidentally attacked the merchant in the aqueduct, the one behind the bars. I'm SL 15 and farming 30k souls for absolution would probably take a few hours. Is this merchant pretty important? Should I just restart?

SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003

Smelly posted:

They're not going to change it, they might patch it to allow a broader band of people you can see, but they're not changing it.

The extreme limitations ARE a matter of immersion though. If you could run through this entire game with 2 of your buddies it would ruin a lot of the "gently caress I'm alone and what is that OH GOD :gonk:" atmosphere that this game has. It's the developers choice, if you don't care for it, well this game might not be for you.

Then why put any multiplayer in the game at all? You already can run through the entire game with other people, just not people that you know, apparently. It seems like an attempt that turned out hackneyed so now they brush it off by reframing the 'purpose' of the multiplayer aspects? I have asked a total of three questions regarding co-op in this game and now have sperglords jumping up my asscrack as if I just pissed on their mothers' graves. You don't have to respond to or even read my posts.

SolidHavoc fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 6, 2011

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oae Ui posted:

So, I accidentally attacked the merchant in the aqueduct, the one behind the bars. I'm SL 15 and farming 30k souls for absolution would probably take a few hours. Is this merchant pretty important? Should I just restart?

She's alright. She has some useful items.

Once you unlock the best grinding spot in the game it'll take like 2 minutes to get 30k souls so I wouldn't worry about it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MrSmokes posted:

Is there a way to get all the way back to the top of Blighttown once you've gone down to the very bottom?

Like just to get back to the fire shrine? When you come out of Quelaag's lair, between the pyromancer trainer and the bonfire, there should be a wooden ramp up. follow the ramp and it takes you to a belt elevator. Ride that poo poo on up and just follow the ladders. It will dump you off in the valley of the drakes and about 30 seconds walk back to fireshrine across the wood bridge.

Edit vvvvv Sometimes when you kill enemies they will just add one to your humanity counter (as in they don't drop the item). There is also a vendor somewhere that sells humanity items for 5000 a pop. Co-oping and killing a boss or invading and killing a player also yields humanity.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 6, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there a finite amount of humanity in the game? I seem to have gained some humanity as I played but I never used the consumable humanity items I picked up from corpses. I guess you accumulate some while leveling?

The reason I ask is I don't know if I should be stingy about using it to kindle bonfires, or if I should just be upgrading when I can (since bonfires seem more rare'ish than I originally thought they would be).

Also I have no idea how to go about upgrading weapons smartly without hoarding everything I find until I decide way late. Can I just start upgrading weapons I find useful (like an ordinary scimitar) or should I wait until I find a unique variant of a weapon I like?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Rascyc posted:

Is there a finite amount of humanity in the game? I seem to have gained some humanity as I played but I never used the consumable humanity items I picked up from corpses. I guess you accumulate some while leveling?

It's infinite and numerous enemies drop it, or you can white phantom/invade people for it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How do you defeat the Ceaseless Discharge now that you can't lure him to the white light door anymore? This fire attacks the engulf everything gets me every time and no, I don't have the Black Knight shield. Is there any other shields that I can get that blocks fire?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Technically there is a finite amount of humanity items you can get in the game, but killing enemies with counterattacks or backstabs gives you humanity. It's really rare though.

Rats have a rare chance to drop humanity so if you're feeling lucky and have the +item drop chance ring from Sen's Fortress you can just farm rats for it.

quote:

How do you defeat CD?

I got him back to his starting zone. You target him and when he starts groaning to attack you wait a second or so, then dodge to the left and keep running. I managed to avoid his attack every time and killed him with a lightning spear. He was pretty easy this way but again I just didn't get hit once. Every other time I fought him he pretty much one shot me.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Technically there is a finite amount of humanity items you can get in the game, but killing enemies with counterattacks or backstabs gives you humanity. It's really rare though.
There's a vendor that sells it for 5000 a pop, I think the dude at the top of the parish. 5000 souls a pop was the price I remembered.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I believe those are finite. The hollowed woman in the sewers sells it but I bought it once and haven't seen it back on the vendor list.

If there is a vendor that sells humanity forever then I've got 50k souls to spend.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

Vatek posted:

It took me like 20 tries to beat the Taurus because I am godawful at this game, but it felt SO GOOD when I did. Now if only I could get the dodge pattern right on the hidden samurai-type dude with the huge club hidden just before him.

For him what worked for me was you have to wait a split second longer than you think when he does his big overhead two-handed slam because the tracking is AMAZING. But once he starts forward with it it just goes straight down. Also once you backstab him once it can be really easy getting more. Just stand behind him and when he gets up start circle strafing around him clockwise SUPER CLOSE. Like right up against him. He will spin in place to stay facing you as you turn but eventually he'll make a little move where he goes to switch from shield and club to two-handed club. As SOON as you see him change his motion from "spinning to track you" to starting to put his shield away, hit attack and you'll get another backstab.

The hardest part in that fight after I figured that out was when I would kick him next to a wall I would have to move away for him to get up so I could dodge the big slam again then start getting more backstab chains. It probably took me like 20 backstabs to kill him. You can do it it just takes practice. Also, take your shield off and use your weapon two-handed. He will kill you if you hit him anyway and you get slightly more damage from two-handed. Also make sure you are not encumbered at all, you want to be at less than 25% of your max Equip Burden. Good luck!

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

How do you defeat the Ceaseless Discharge now that you can't lure him to the white light door anymore? This fire attacks the engulf everything gets me every time and no, I don't have the Black Knight shield. Is there any other shields that I can get that blocks fire?

It still works, it's just not consistent. Run to the altar and then back to fog the gate. He'll die eventually. It took me like five tries, though.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Trying to jump between these 2 buildings. am I just not doing it right or do you get there later?

http://i.imgur.com/gwVqa.jpg

SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Trying to jump between these 2 buildings. am I just not doing it right or do you get there later?

There's a way to get on the roof of the building that you're in a little further down the path, and you can jump from there

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You can jump between them. Try taking your armor off before you jump.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
UGGGGHGHGHGHH...

Do the gargoyle bosses in Undead Parish drop anything after they die? After my dozen or so attempts I finally killed them both, but we KILLED EACH OTHER in the last strike. So they're dead, but I wasn't able to pick up anything they might have dropped!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Phoix posted:

It still works, it's just not consistent. Run to the altar and then back to fog the gate. He'll die eventually. It took me like five tries, though.

Hmm, alright. I'll keep trying. I've been just going half way before he catches up then running to the entrance. Is it a glitch that he does or doesn't follow you all the way or something? The easy way just seems like something they'd deliberately put in there for people to discover.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Finally beat the Capra Demon... with the help of a summoned phantom.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You aren't doing it right, I jumped that gap easily with my bare-assed Deprived. What sort of armour are you wearing?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ah boy. I said "No" to Good old Patches. and got twin humanity off it. Does this mean he won't be a vendor?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Wizard Whateley posted:

UGGGGHGHGHGHH...

Do the gargoyle bosses in Undead Parish drop anything after they die? After my dozen or so attempts I finally killed them both, but we KILLED EACH OTHER in the last strike. So they're dead, but I wasn't able to pick up anything they might have dropped!

I got a Gargoyle Helm from one.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Dan Didio posted:

You aren't doing it right, I jumped that gap easily with my bare-assed Deprived. What sort of armour are you wearing?

Brigand? I guess it's leather? I tried it with no armour on and I still can't make it :I

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Like just to get back to the fire shrine? When you come out of Quelaag's lair, between the pyromancer trainer and the bonfire, there should be a wooden ramp up. follow the ramp and it takes you to a belt elevator. Ride that poo poo on up and just follow the ladders. It will dump you off in the valley of the drakes and about 30 seconds walk back to fireshrine across the wood bridge.

Awesome, thank you. I had checked out the elevator before, but somehow I couldn't find a ladder and didn't make it all the way up.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Brigand? I guess it's leather? I tried it with no armour on and I still can't make it :I

Wait until the last second to hit the jump button and make sure you're sprinting straight, dead-on at the gap.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
what the hell is this poo poo?

I go to download my super special soundtrack thing and the other stuff and the only soundtrack part that is available to download is something labeled "Part 1"--and when I download it, I get an error message that says "Unexpected end to archive". There's only one song file in there and it won't play on anything. The gently caress is this?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

SolidHavoc posted:

Then why put any multiplayer in the game at all? You already can run through the entire game with other people, just not people that you know, apparently. It seems like an attempt that turned out hackneyed so now they brush it off by reframing the 'purpose' of the multiplayer aspects? I have asked a total of three questions regarding co-op in this game and now have sperglords jumping up my asscrack as if I just pissed on their mothers' graves. Get a grip on reality, for chrissakes, you don't have to respond or even read my posts.

Calm down, I'm not spergin' out or anything at you, I'm just telling you what I know.

From has already said it was a conscious decision to implement the multiplayer the way it is, and personally I think it's great. Simply for the fact that no other game dared to do something like this. It was the same way in Demon's Souls, so I doubt it was a gently caress up that they just rolled with. They had time to fix it if it was a mistake.

These games are truly unique in what they do, and I encourage more developers to push the limits on what is usually accepted in gaming. If you want a CO-OP game, there's plenty out there.

If you want a game that allows you to summon someone if you're getting your poo poo pushed in, there's Demon's and Dark Souls.

That said, all the poo poo I hear about people having issues with seeing summon stones, I hope they do patch that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So how do I take down that stupid boar in the Undead Parish

I've gathered that I'm supposed to use the plunging attack, but I can't get it to come near enough to the walkway above it, and I already used up those alluring skulls.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Maremidon posted:

I've gathered that I'm supposed to use the plunging attack, but I can't get it to come near enough to the walkway above it, and I already used up those alluring skulls.

Try backing up to the entrance of the hallway, when he gets into that archway he'll turn around and start walking back. His tail isn't armored so you can backstab him.

SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003

Smelly posted:

Calm down, I'm not spergin' out or anything at you, I'm just telling you what I know.

That said, all the poo poo I hear about people having issues with seeing summon stones, I hope they do patch that.

I apologize, that wasn't directed at you. I guess I'm just frustrated because, from what I understand, the original game DID in fact allow you to frequently see your friends' summon stones, which is explicitly why a few of mine spent 60$ on this game. Then to find out that they have switched to a P2P system which does NOT allow us to consistently play with one another is really aggravating.

Aside from being able to play with my buddies, I have not seen a single summon sign, nor have I ever been summoned when I put one down, and yes, I have read the FAQ on using them correctly. And like you said, I hope they patch that.

Jesus Toast
Sep 30, 2005

Maremidon posted:

Get him to run into a bonfire/throw firebombs at him. The stairway on the right as you enter the area is also safe.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Dumb question: I just put in my factory sealed copy of dark souls and I'm told the disc is unreadable, is this because something is wrong with the disc or is it because I haven't updated the 360 in like 2 years?(the newest game that has been played on it is bayonetta)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wizard Whateley posted:

UGGGGHGHGHGHH...

If you chop off the first one's tail you get to keep the tail as an axe. It requires crazy strength and something like 15 dex to 1-hand though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Crowbear posted:

Welp I know what weapon I want for dicking around purposes.

Dragon Bone Fist: 135 base damage, A scaling for STR, raises your magic and fire defense, and a special note.

:stare:

I'm gonna go around and loving shoryuken some monsters.
Yeah I want to try an unarmed playthrough at some point :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Despite what the stat screen says, Astra's straight sword doesn't actually do nearly as much damage as the Drake sword. This is on the PS3 version. I think it might be bugged and not applying the magic portion of the damage. It is a shame too, because I would really like to use it.

I even upgraded it to see if the +1 version would fix it. Nope.

You know I was wondering why the weapon felt so lackluster but that might explain it. I'm using a faith build and was really disappointed when I started using it. Even with the magic damage split it was doing pretty much the same as my starting mace. I need to find a real faith-based weapon. :(

• Locked thread