Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Guliani is HOT posted:

I'm pretty sure that was patched
If you want to get technical, it's opposite. Somewhere from 1.00 to 1.03 they made them sell for more. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Sorry for all the questions, but hey the last one was about 1,000 replies ago so it's already long buried. :v:

So I just got a weapon to +5 and was going to do babby's first upgrade, but the blacksmith in the Parish only seems to do Raw or +6. Judging by an image I found (http://postimage.org/image/21hfz31pg/) it looks like the Raw path is a dead end, and I'm not sure if I should try and get it to +10 straight away if the higher tier upgrades aren't going to be available until much further in the game. Should I just let it sit at +5 until I find a way to give it a low-tier elemental upgrade?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Should I be bothering to raise Dex a lot more? I tend to die really quickly. I'm playing a Thief and have around 21 Dex, 14 Faith (for that fancy short sword), 13 Str, and probably the default in every other stat.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

So far this is my favourite AI tactic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPnz5MHsvP4

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Few things truly warrant the use of this smiley. This is one of them:

Chopped off all the Hydra's loving heads with my axe LIKE A BOSS :black101::black101::black101:

Also, the Crest shield from the knight in the Asylum mitigates the Hydra's ranged blasts 100%, so that was really helpful in getting in there.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
So, I had been cheesing the two giant skeletons at fireshrine by landing on their head, making them ragdoll off the cliff. I created a new character and tried to do it again, and on the second one, instead of actually pulling it off, it just does a hop-dodge backwards off of a cliff. How convenient! :tipshat:

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Sorry for all the questions, but hey the last one was about 1,000 replies ago so it's already long buried. :v:

So I just got a weapon to +5 and was going to do babby's first upgrade, but the blacksmith in the Parish only seems to do Raw or +6. Judging by an image I found (http://postimage.org/image/21hfz31pg/) it looks like the Raw path is a dead end, and I'm not sure if I should try and get it to +10 straight away if the higher tier upgrades aren't going to be available until much further in the game. Should I just let it sit at +5 until I find a way to give it a low-tier elemental upgrade?

Wait until you can get an elemental upgrade, fire and lightning will double the amount of damage the weapon does. Fire can be gotten pretty early on from the skeleton smith in the catacombs and is very effective, as only a few bosses and enemies really resist it.

quote:

Should I be bothering to raise Dex a lot more? I tend to die really quickly. I'm playing a Thief and have around 21 Dex, 14 Faith (for that fancy short sword), 13 Str, and probably the default in every other stat.

Pump your vitality up to around 20 so you can survive a few hits and start working on getting your endurance up as well. More stamina means more rolling and higher equip burden means you'll move faster. While dexterity and strength will increase your damage output, you're going to see a greater benefit from upgrading weapons.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

G.I. Jaw posted:

Wait until you can get an elemental upgrade, fire and lightning will double the amount of damage the weapon does. Fire can be gotten pretty early on from the skeleton smith in the catacombs and is very effective, as only a few bosses and enemies really resist it.

Awesome, thanks.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Has anybody here actually managed to spare Sif? I'm curious whether it's actually possible or just a rumor

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
What's the best thing to use against Moonlit Butterfly? Pyromancy or Sorcery?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Hah. A good chunk of you already know the wierd Dragon Glitch where he dies suddenly if you shoot him. I didn't even have to do that. For some reason there was a skeleton archer. It was working in such a manner that I didn't have to lure any of the skeletons because the Dragon already kept dumping his fire all over it, but that archer kept firing.

The game unintentionally threw me a bone. I was grinding that spot so i could save up for the seal to open up the spot in the forest. He died when i reached 12,000 souls, so his soul count filled the rest.

That grinding spot is the best. I'm now level 37, with a Boars head and +3 Elite Armor, looking for. I'm coming back for that stray demon.

Question. Just what exactly do you need to fully block Havel's attacks?

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 9, 2011

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Two hand the biggest weapon you can find :black101:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Dan Didio posted:

A big loving sword.

That's not a comedy option, it's genuinely easier to dodge/block his ranged attacks and then hit him with a melee weapon when he rests.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Dan Didio posted:

Melee. :black101:
Use a nice Magic Defense shield, run all the way to the right when you enter the encounter and stand in the corner, makes dodging/blocking her attacks really easy. After a handful of them, she'll land, and as you see her about to do so, sprint up and cleave the gently caress out of her. Only took 2 landings for me to get her within fatal range of just a couple easy Soul Arrows.

e: haha, beaten!

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!

G.I. Jaw posted:

There's a bonfire at the bottom of Blighttown in the swamp area. Once you reach the bottom of the scaffolding, hug the wall to your right. You'll have to run through little bit of swamp but you'll hit a sewer tunnel with a bonfire just inside.

Thank you so much. Now for some boss-fightin'!

Another question: When can I replace the Drake Sword? Its 200 damage is (As of yet) unbeatable - The closest I've found is a 130something Greataxe (Which requires something silly like 32 STR to wield, I'm at 28 atm) but everything else seems rubbish.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

Nap Ghost

Megasabin posted:

Do you need to join the forest covenant to get the ring of fog?

I thought you needed to get to the blacksmith in Anor londo to make elemental weapons like a lighting spear? Doesn't that come after Sen's Fortress?

There's a mimic in Sen's Fortress that drops a Lightning Spear when you kill it.

Fargin Icehole posted:

A shield with 100% physical resistance such as the Hollow Soldier's Shield, Tower Shield, or Eagle Shield, and high endurance so that you have the stamina to absorb the hits!

Tarradax posted:

Another question: When can I replace the Drake Sword? Its 200 damage is (As of yet) unbeatable - The closest I've found is a 130something Greataxe (Which requires something silly like 32 STR to wield, I'm at 28 atm) but everything else seems rubbish.

Since the Drake Sword is a dragon weapon I'm pretty sure it can only be upgraded with dragon scales, which are extremely rare. If you find a good melee weapon and increase it to +5, you'll be able to enchant it with fire or lightning, which double the amount of damage it does - half physical, half elemental. In your example, the Great Axe would go from 130 to 260 damage (although it would actually be higher since it would already be at +5).

Another thing to remember is that if you're two-handing a weapon, you get a 50% strength bonus so you only need 2/3 of the listed strength to wield it effectively. Larger weapons with high str requirements are also typically meant to be two-handed, since the attack animation for one-handed even with the requisite strength is pretty slow and leaves you open to get hit.

G.I. Jaw fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 9, 2011

Gringeaux
Nov 11, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

Nothing's really needed per say, I took him out naked with the drake sword. Get in his grill as soon as you see him and strafe to his right, don't stop until his weapon actually hits the ground and then backstab him. 4-5 backstabs should do the job.

I've done it that way for 3 of my friends so far that insisted on blocking his rape attack.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Wow, you guys werent kidding, that was really easy.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I have rang both bells and now I am at this point in the game wherever I go I get my rear end kicked :smith:

After ringing the second bell am I supposed to go to sens fortress? , I have never been to lando ruins, anything good there?

J
Jun 10, 2001

keyframe posted:

I have rang both bells and now I am at this point in the game wherever I go I get my rear end kicked :smith:

After ringing the second bell am I supposed to go to sens fortress? , I have never been to lando ruins, anything good there?

Yes, Sen's fortress is your next intended area. Don't bother with the ruins for the time being, go there later. Also Sen's Fortress protip: use the traps against the enemies whenever possible.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

Nap Ghost

keyframe posted:

Sen's Fortress is the next area you should visit. New Londo is a terrible, terrible place. :ghost::ghost::ghost:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Tarradax posted:

Thank you so much. Now for some boss-fightin'!

You won't find many with more than 200 base damage outside of a few unique weapons. If you want more powerful weapons you'll need to upgrade weaker ones. My Zweihander started out at like 130 damage now it's at +4 lightning and I can whomp enemies for 800 damage with a leaping attack. That bad boy killed the catacombs boss in two hits :c00l:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What's the fastest way out of Blighttown? I feel underleveled and underequiped to go down any further.

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!
So I guess I need to find elemental ember things and take them to the smith... Are there any available early in the game?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Wow, that was interesting. I was wearing my darkmoon invasion ring and I invaded a guy who just ran right up to me and backstabbed me.

From the front.

Before I could even attack.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sankis posted:

What's the fastest way out of Blighttown? I feel underleveled and underequiped to go down any further.

Back the way you came, unfortunately!

Tarradax posted:

So I guess I need to find elemental ember things and take them to the smith... Are there any available early in the game?

You'll find a large ember behind the first butcher in The Depths, which will let the smith upgrade your weapons to +10, and a Divine Ember after killing the Moonlight Butterfly.

I'm pretty sure the skeleton smith can upgrade weapons to fire without any embers though, you just need to provide him with a Green Titanite Shard (which handily enough is on a corpse just before you reach him!).

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Where can I find the second fire ember? I got my Zweihander to +5 fire but I can't take it any further so I assume there must be an large ember out there somewhere.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Woo, my Dark Souls guide shipped from amazon earlier today. And after talking to the amazon rep I got promo credit back in the difference for the new sale price! (The guide is 13 bux right now!)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

UserMan posted:

Where can I find the second fire ember? I got my Zweihander to +5 fire but I can't take it any further so I assume there must be an large ember out there somewhere.

I found a second fire ember fairly deep in the Demon Ruins. It's in a chest guarded by several worm like enemies. Incidentally, I've being meaning to use them to upgrade my Zweihander, but I don't know where a blacksmith who can do is. Where did you upgrade yours?

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Boy howdy, the Anor Londo boss fight sure is fun and definitely not the hardest thing ever!

Professor Latency fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 9, 2011

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I hate those days when you literally think "nah, I'm burned out on this game right now. I need to take a break for a while"

Because I sure would love to play if I didn't not want to play.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So, amor lando: What do you have to do to make it turn night time and get invaded by all the blue phantoms. It seems like every time I've been pulled in to fight them it was a guy and two white phantoms just standing around farming/gangbanging the blue spirits as they spawn in.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Cake Attack posted:

I found a second fire ember fairly deep in the Demon Ruins. It's in a chest guarded by several worm like enemies. Incidentally, I've being meaning to use them to upgrade my Zweihander, but I don't know where a blacksmith who can do is. Where did you upgrade yours?

The blacksmith that can create fire weapons is fairly far down the catacombs. There is a room that ends in a spiral staircase over what looks like a death pit, but actually isn't. If you roll towards a bump in the wall you'll land on a series of platforms and be able to fall the rest of the way safely. The platforms are too far to see normally the only hint you'll have is an item (a green titanite in case you don't already have one) that looks like its floating in midair. After you do so the blacksmith will bust down a wall so you can get out on the bottom floor.

Also the Flame Zweihander is a loving amazing weapon and you'll laugh the first time you one-hit an invading phantom.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

So, amor lando: What do you have to do to make it turn night time and get invaded by all the blue phantoms. It seems like every time I've been pulled in to fight them it was a guy and two white phantoms just standing around farming/gangbanging the blue spirits as they spawn in.

Kill the giant princess. This also makes the Anor Londo firekeeper pissed at you and aggro on sight.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Can anyone give a more detailed direction to the bonfire starting when you are outside and on top of Sen's Fortress? A few people have tried to describe where it's at in the thread but I still haven't found it. If I get up there again and the rear end in a top hat who keeps throwing fire bomb's on me kills me again... It's just way too hard to go without a bonfire.

And I think i've come up with the perfect comparison for this game... It's like the original legend of zelda but a poo poo load harder and for adults! I just can't remember a game in forever with this many secrets and pretty much a necessity for help regardless if its from forums or video.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
So yeah what kind of weapon do I need to upgrade in order to use the Executioner's Soul with the smith in Anor Londo? I've been looking all over the internet but can't find anything, and I'd rather not waste the souls :(

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

katkillad2 posted:

Can anyone give a more detailed direction to the bonfire starting when you are outside and on top of Sen's Fortress? A few people have tried to describe where it's at in the thread but I still haven't found it. If I get up there again and the rear end in a top hat who keeps throwing fire bomb's on me kills me again... It's just way too hard to go without a bonfire.

And I think i've come up with the perfect comparison for this game... It's like the original legend of zelda but a poo poo load harder and for adults! I just can't remember a game in forever with this many secrets and pretty much a necessity for help regardless if its from forums or video.

It's at the place where you're getting your poo poo wrecked by that rear end in a top hat. Once you are outside, go up 2 or 3 staircases I think (run so he doesn't get a bead on you of course) and then drop off the side. You'll see a part of the wall crumbled, thats where you drop. There's usually a player sign in front of it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Valkrye posted:

Found this on gamefaqs, it's a list of things you can drop for the crow at the asylum and what you get in return. This is spoilers obviously and I also have no idea how accurate this is so use at your own risk!

Bloodred Moss Clump ---> Twinkling Titanite
Blooming Purple Moss Clump ---> Twinkling Titanite x2
Cracked Red Eye Orb ---> Purging Stone x2
Dried Finger ---> Blue Titanite Chunk
Dung Pie ---> Demon Titanite
Egg Vermifuge ---> Dragon Scale
Humanity ---> Ring of Sacrifice
Pendant ---> Souvenir or Reprisal
Prism Stone ---> Demon Titanite
Pyromancy Flame ---> Red Titanite Chunk
Pyromancy Flame ---> Red Titanite Slab
Purple Moss Clump ---> Twinkling Titanite
Rubbish ---> Titanite Chunk
Ring of the Sun Princess ---> Divine Blessing x2
Sack ---> Demon's Great Hammer
Skull Lantern ---> Ring of Fog
Sunlight Maggot ---> Old Witch's Ring
Sunlight Medal ---> White Titanite Chunk
Twin Humanities ---> Rare Ring of Sacrifice
Xanthous Crown ---> Ring of Favor and Protection

Repostng this. I dropped 9 moss clumps hoping to get an equally large stack back. Did I? Did I heck. I got 1. Now it keeps telling me no when I try to drop some more. Is there a limit on how many of the same item you can drop in a row?

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

So my lightning Iaido +3 does about 50 damage a swing to one of The Four Kings. There aren't any summon signs at around soul level 62 either so uh... what do I do? I got him to about 75% hp before bad times happened and I died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
gently caress this Taurus Demon. He's kicking my rear end up and down the place and none of the posted strategies work. Time for try number ten, I guess. :mad:

• Locked thread