Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Nigulus Rex posted:

The gaping dragon keeps killing me. I cut off his tail without fail, and every loving time at some point, without fail, he squashes me. I try to sprint away but I can't get out of the way.

You should only ever attack Gaping Dragon after he completes a forward charge and never, ever let him align his front with you. Reduce your load below 25% if you can; there's no use for armor because tail swipes aren't very hard to dodge.

It's kind of weird that he takes 50% bonus damage from the front, but I imagine it's just From Software trolling us again because there's no way to hit his front and somehow survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
I would like to give some pro-tips to people in mid-game.

Don't underestimate pyromancy. It's like free magic. Since it's based on upgrading the fire hand, you can buy your way into better magic. Most spells suck, but fire orb and iron flesh are amazing. With a minor 2 points into attunement (14 total if you don't start as a pyro) you can have two sets of fire orb and one of iron flesh.

I've used iron flesh to totally tank bosses. You just trade hits and win because they can't hurt you.

Fire orb kills most big common enemies in 2 shots. Poison ogres getting you down? Use fire and get free poo!

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
I just now hit the bonfire in the Undead Parish and killed the Black Knight in the little church/temple thing with the elevator down to firelink.

There is some guy or statue up in an aclove in the wall that I can't reach but will shoot stuff at me, do I fight him later or did I miss something on how to get to him?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man, I thought the Gaping Dragon was broken. Is it blind? It felt like it, I just let him walk around and hacked at his sides, never once getting hit. Just keep your distance and you'll be fine.

Dark Souls is about having patience with bosses and seeing what the hell they do. Unless it's the firstCapra Demon fight where you have no choice but to rush.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Heavy neutrino posted:

You should only ever attack Gaping Dragon after he completes a forward charge and never, ever let him align his front with you. Reduce your load below 25% if you can; there's no use for armor because tail swipes aren't very hard to dodge.

It's kind of weird that he takes 50% bonus damage from the front, but I imagine it's just From Software trolling us again because there's no way to hit his front and somehow survive.

You actually have a good five second window for attacks when he does his forward crashing attack where he brings the front half of his body down. He'll get stuck in the ground for a little bit and leave his head wide open. Just make sure you sprint off to the side as soon as you hear him roar/see him getting up, because his charge is immediately afterwards and he will steamroll you if you try to run backwards instead of sideways.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I just now hit the bonfire in the Undead Parish and killed the Black Knight in the little church/temple thing with the elevator down to firelink.

There is some guy or statue up in an aclove in the wall that I can't reach but will shoot stuff at me, do I fight him later or did I miss something on how to get to him?

If you're facing the elevators to Firelink, go to the right and you'll find a staircase leading to the second floor of the cathedral. This will take you up to the guy who is shooting down at you.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Nechronic posted:

Sounds like you're staying in for too long. Try getting two or three swings and then running away. Always attack the back leg or the tail end so you don't get caught if it turns. Don't even bother attacking unless the dragon has just finished a charge or is still recovering from another attack.

You should never need to block or even lock-on for this fight. Just run in, get a few hits, and run out before it does something else.

Thanks. I killed him after I only attacked when he charged. That was pretty easy actually -_-

Ankle-biter posted:

Don't underestimate pyromancy. It's like free magic. Since it's based on upgrading the fire hand, you can buy your way into better magic. Most spells suck, but fire orb and iron flesh are amazing. With a minor 2 points into attunement (14 total if you don't start as a pyro) you can have two sets of fire orb and one of iron flesh.

I've used iron flesh to totally tank bosses. You just trade hits and win because they can't hurt you.

Fire orb kills most big common enemies in 2 shots. Poison ogres getting you down? Use fire and get free poo!

Thanks for the tips.

Does anyone know where you can train pyromancy if you kill the pyro guy in the depths? I didn't mean to kill him but I hit his barrel with my sword by accident and had to finish the job.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Nigulus Rex posted:

Thanks. I killed him after I only attacked when he charged. That was pretty easy actually -_-

Thanks for the tips.

Does anyone know where you can train pyromancy if you kill the pyro guy in the depths? I didn't mean to kill him but I hit his barrel with my sword by accident and had to finish the job.

The other pyro trainer is in the swamp at the bottom of Blight Town. For future reference, you can break barrels and such by rolling, which won't hurt npcs.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I just killed the gargoyle in anor lando, is there anywhere i can go from here? There is a bigass yellow gate but i can't go through it yet

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

"Does anyone know where you can train pyromancy if you kill the pyro guy in the depths? I didn't mean to kill him but I hit his barrel with my sword by accident and had to finish the job."

You are hosed. You need him to upgrade your flame hand. The next trainer won't appear until you max your hand with his skills.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I guess it's obvious that after the second bell I should head to Sen's Fortress, but these snake warriors are murdering me. Should I explore the Londo Ruins or the Forest or even the Asylum first? This just isn't going well.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Hey, I have a question, with the tutorial demon down all. I have to ask do all bosses have a special condition in order to beat them and get a special item? Right now I'm on the Taurus boss.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

hcenvirons posted:

I guess it's obvious that after the second bell I should head to Sen's Fortress, but these snake warriors are murdering me. Should I explore the Londo Ruins or the Forest or even the Asylum first? This just isn't going well.

Depends on your level. If you are under 40, I'd say go grind.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

Depths posted:

I just killed the gargoyle in anor lando, is there anywhere i can go from here? There is a bigass yellow gate but i can't go through it yet

Go back to where you killed him. You should see some beams that you can walk on. The first one on the left should lead you to the next area.

LorentzViolator
Sep 6, 2006

hcenvirons posted:

If you choose to stay there, there is a chest fairly early on in Sen's Fortress which contains a weapon that makes the snake warriors much easier to fight!

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

^^^ I now know what I must do! :black101:

Ankle-biter posted:

Depends on your level. If you are under 40, I'd say go grind.

I'm at 31 one right now, any recommendations?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Hahaha. I hate this game sometimes. I just saved up 30k souls, so I could buy a heap of curse cures from the absolution guy, only to find out he has limited stock and would only sell me one more.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?
Well, finally finished the game today at level 39 with pyro/melee hybrid build.

I also picked up all the Firekeeper souls:
- Undead Parish
- Blight Town, Valley of Drake Side, down at where all the toxin shooters are
- New Londo, off to the right side from the first spirit
- Duke's Archive, same room where Logan is held at the bottom of prison
- Kill Lautrec at Anor Lando (can be used to revive Firekeeper at Firelink)
- Kill Firekeeper at Anor Lando (disables bonfire)
- Kill White Spider NPC at Quelaag's (disables bonfire)

NG+ is pretty harsh so far.
Enemies give 3x more souls, but have around 50% more HP. Enemies also hit like a truck, a counter-hit from normal Undead Burg enemies do a good 250 damage against ~300 def.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Doing the Londo Ruins myself at the moment. I can't seem to figure out where to go though. I found the dude on top of the building, a couple of non-operational lifts, and a locked door with some sort of wheel-lever behind it. Do I need some sort of key in order to progress? I wanted to finish this place off before doing the Anor Londo boss.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Ankle-biter posted:

Can I just clear something up? As far as I know you cant have two of the same spell attuned unless you start as pyro and then buy ANOTHER fireball. You cannot attune the same spell twice.

Someone feel free to correct me, but that's from a lot of googling.

If you CAN attune multiple spells, then it's combustion x3 for me.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

Leyburn posted:

Hahaha. I hate this game sometimes. I just saved up 30k souls, so I could buy a heap of curse cures from the absolution guy, only to find out he has limited stock and would only sell me one more.

Did you try the undead lady near the sewers entrance?

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Defghanistan posted:

Can I just clear something up? As far as I know you cant have two of the same spell attuned unless you start as pyro and then buy ANOTHER fireball. You cannot attune the same spell twice.

You can have multiple spell copies, but you have to buy them and have slots for them. There's actually an advanced combustion that you will like even more ;)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

LorentzViolator posted:

If you choose to stay there, there is a chest fairly early on in Sen's Fortress which contains a weapon that makes the snake warriors much easier to fight!

Which weapon is that? I don't remember any weapon.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Holy poo poo, i just found out that you can survive the fall after getting hit by those first pendulum traps in sen's fortress, i really wish i didn't survive that fall.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Exploit those snake cunts, they are stupid and you can easily circle around them (provided you are a fast guy and not a slow tank). They leave their backs open a lot.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Defghanistan posted:

You are correct. There are at least two combustions, and a greater combustion, in the game. edit: vv yes

Also, has anyone found a Miracles trainer besides that guy who starts by the firelink shrine? I feel like I've been through rather a lot of the game, and still haven't found anyone who'll teach wrath of god or Greater Heal or whatever. I did find that maiden in a white dress down in the Tomb of the Giants, and after I killed her hollow buddies she gave me a regeneration spell, but she won't sell me anything. I figured she'd be the advanced trainer, but I guess not?

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 9, 2011

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Ankle-biter posted:

You can have multiple spell copies, but you have to buy them and have slots for them. There's actually an advanced combustion that you will like even more ;)

Ok so does the second pyro trainer have copies of the spells that the first pyro trainer taught you then? Is that how it works?

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Exploit those snake cunts, they are stupid and you can easily circle around them (provided you are a fast guy and not a slow tank). They leave their backs open a lot.

Backs? Who cares when you can throw a fireball in their face!

LorentzViolator
Sep 6, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Which weapon is that? I don't remember any weapon.

Yes it is the lightning spear which comes from killing the monster pretending to be a chest

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Killbot posted:

Did you try the undead lady near the sewers entrance?

Yeah I just went and cleaned her out instead. Although she charges double.

I need some Seath pointers before I attempt him again. I have these 7 purging stones, so I only have 7 attempts at this. As far as I can tell he has two attacks, he can slam his tenticles about for big damage, or curse you with his AoE crystal attack. There doesn't seem to be any sure fire way to avoid either of these.

I'd much rather go into the fight in human form, so I have better curse resistance, but I have 0 humanity and for whatever reason, the online is loving knackered in my area, so I can't get summoned.

Any tips?!

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Defghanistan posted:

Ok so does the second pyro trainer have copies of the spells that the first pyro trainer taught you then? Is that how it works?

I'm going full pyro, so I'm a little fuzzy about what I bought where. I bought everything from the first trainer. I fully upgraded my hand so the second teacher would appear in the swamp. I think that will get you what you want.

I also joined the chaos cov after the spider lady for more spells. I need to get to rank 2 for another spell, but that's gonna be a while. I think there is a final trainer after this, but I'm not 100% since this is my first time playing.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Killed Queelag after upgrading my Iaido to +8 and now I actually have a decent weapon, which is nice. Chatted to the egg guy through a secret door afterwards and said I wasn't a new servant and he wouldn't let me through so I just left. Did I miss anything special?

Also is there any vendor other than the first one in Undead Burg that sells arrows? I killed the poo poo out of him for a sword.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Hydra just went down like a bitch :c00l:

After I fell off the edge of the lake the previous attempt trying to get too close to it :negative:

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I'm a fuckin' badass.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love those loving robes so much, cannot wait to walk around with the Dark Knight's sword, going to make me so happy. :D

I have the greatshield found in Blighttown right now and it's so loving good and as the description says, very light. No enemy yet aside from giants can hack it, they all stagger.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm never going to get past the archers in Anor Londo. :smith:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I feel like an idiot. I have been using a spear basically exclusively and I never realized you couldn't backstab with your shield up until just now. I had just been thinking the spear's backstab zone was tiny and I just couldn't hit it. :saddowns:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm never going to get past the archers in Anor Londo. :smith:

Sprint right up to the one on the right and block all its attacks, try to circle around it on the left keeping your back to the wall so it's on the very edge of the ledge. It should stagger and fall off. The one on the left can't hit you if you hug the wall.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Leyburn posted:

Yeah I just went and cleaned her out instead. Although she charges double.

I need some Seath pointers before I attempt him again. I have these 7 purging stones, so I only have 7 attempts at this. As far as I can tell he has two attacks, he can slam his tenticles about for big damage, or curse you with his AoE crystal attack. There doesn't seem to be any sure fire way to avoid either of these.

I'd much rather go into the fight in human form, so I have better curse resistance, but I have 0 humanity and for whatever reason, the online is loving knackered in my area, so I can't get summoned.

Any tips?!

If you have the Dingy robe set or a set with higher curse resist, put it on. He hits so god drat hard that any physical attacks are just going to kill you anyway. I beat him by waiting until he used the crystal beam attack and then beating the poo poo out of his stomach. It seemed like the crystals closer to him did less damage and with curse resist gear it never got anywhere near cursing me. He does have a tail though, and I assume there's a reward for cutting it off. It's incredibly dangerous behind him and Crystal Caves loving sucked so I have no idea what it gives you, if anything.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

gently caress Ornstein and Smough so much. I've been killed five or six times already before I can even do anything because Ornstein dashes towards me and fucks my poo poo up almost instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Shlapintogan posted:

gently caress Ornstein and Smough so much. I've been killed five or six times already before I can even do anything because Ornstein dashes towards me and fucks my poo poo up almost instantly.

You do realize this is the hardest fight in the game, right?

• Locked thread