Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Alteisen posted:

I found a firekeeper's soul, how important is this

Very. Don't eat it.

It is used to upgrade your Estus flasks. Take it to the women behind bars downstairs from the Firelink bonfire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Guliani is HOT posted:

Extremely important, save it for when you get back to Firelink Shrine and talk to the firekeeper to upgrade your estus flask.
... and the Firekeeper is down the staircase behind the tree to the side of the Firelink shrine bonfire, if you missed that staircase completely like I did.

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way
I'm looking to pick up sorcery as a warrior. I'd like some decent ranged spells that aren't pyromancy. Where will I be able to do this?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

doctor/prostitute posted:

WHAT THE gently caress JUST HAPPENED TO MY HEAD?

There is a cure for this in the painting

doctor/prostitute
Sep 30, 2004

You really ought to lock that down

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

If you let one of the egg sac creatures grab you you get infected. You can cure it either by buying a cure from an egg creature in a secret room after Quelaag or from rare drops from the egg creatures themselves. Or you can keep letting it eat souls (it takes a lot of souls) and it'll mature, replacing your kick attack with a slow attack that pops a larva thing out of your head and bites enemies. I haven't found any other benefit other than the new kick attack (which is slower and worse than the kick attack and I don't believe it will infect other players). Also, even once it matures it keeps eating 1/2 of your souls or otherwise I might have kept mine.

Maybe there's some secret third form or something or some hidden benefit to it I'm not sure. As a servant of chaos I'd really like to just keep it but I can't justify losing half my souls :(

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh, I accidentally attacked that egg guy the first time I saw him because I thought he was a regular enemy blocking off the bonfire. There's no way I can afford absolution at the moment, especially with this thing eating half my souls. Guess I'd better get to work farming those egg guys :(.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Leyburn posted:

There is a cure for this in the painting

There's way more convenient cures than that

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Blighttown. Oh god Blighttown :v:

I only died once, but I literally went down walking. Nevertheless it felt tense and awesome and dreadful and beautiful and ... this game is awesome, I'm glad I haven't spoiled myself any area.

Also I found the whip :cool:

Now please tell me there's a bonfire somewhere close - I'm just at the bottom, at the beginning of the swamp area.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Decided to go explore catacombs at level 20 with my lovely Astora sword. Found a titanite demon, couldn't take him head on. Decided to see what was down the hole just before him. Well hello weak rear end black knight. With no way out I dropped down into a pit full of wheel skeletons. Welp, goodbye 5k souls and 2 humanity.

doctor/prostitute
Sep 30, 2004

Toiwat posted:

I only died once, but I literally went down walking. Nevertheless it felt tense and awesome and dreadful and beautiful and ... this game is awesome, I'm glad I haven't spoiled myself any area.

Now please tell me there's a bonfire somewhere close - I'm just at the bottom, at the beginning of the swamp area.

There is, but it's really easy to miss (seriously I walked straight past it like 4 times looking for a bonfire in that area). If you want directions: If you're coming from the Depths entrance you want to hug the right hand wall hard, it's in a little alcove on the right. Similarly if you're coming from the Drake Valley entrance you want to hug the left wall after the water wheel.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Toiwat posted:

There is one down there.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Has anyone joined the Darkwraiths? Is it worth it? Does it change the outcome of the story or anything?

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Toiwat posted:

From the bottom head to your right and you'll find a constructed sewer bit, its got a bonfire and a chest at the back with a dragon scale in it.

also where is the water wheel in blight town, I thought it was the one to the right of the second bonfire with the toxic dudes at the top but I cant find any shortcut, am I incorrect?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
The Painted World was amazing. Tips for the end (Painted World) boss: Priscilla REALLY does not like fire. Crank up your Pyro hand and when she goes invisible just toss a fireball forward to light her up. Watch the snow under her for her footsteps to see where she is. If you cut off her tail, you get a cool dagger.

This game is so cool. :swoon:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guliani is HOT posted:

Extremely important, save it for when you get back to Firelink Shrine and talk to the firekeeper to upgrade your estus flask.

You mean the guy sitting by the fire? He isn't doing anything, just telling me to go away.

Edit: Never mind I need to learn to scroll up.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

d3c0y2 posted:

Secondly where in firelink can I get my curse cured, I have no idea where the "firelink adeqiduct" is, I thought it was that thing early with a poison rat in it, but that guy is male and doesn't sell a cure.

The vendor is at the bottom of the aqueduct. You're in the right place, but instead of going up the stone stairs that lead to the top area with the rat and water, stick near the cliff walls at the bottom and jump across to the area underneath the aqueduct, by the pillars holding it up.

Also that vendor inside the aqueduct actually is a female, she's just really ugly!

quote:

You mean the guy sitting by the fire? He isn't doing anything, just telling me to go away.

The fire keeper is down one level from that guy. There's a spiral staircase on the side of the bonfire area that leads down to her. She's sitting in a little cave behind some bars.

doctor/prostitute
Sep 30, 2004

d3c0y2 posted:

From the bottom head to your right and you'll find a constructed sewer bit, its got a bonfire and a chest at the back with a dragon scale in it.

also where is the water wheel in blight town, I thought it was the one to the right of the second bonfire with the toxic dudes at the top but I cant find any shortcut, am I incorrect?

Yeah there's a shortcut to the Valley of the Drakes if you look around up there, basically you just want to keep looking for ladders and going upwards as much as possible.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

d3c0y2 posted:

You are not incorrect. You have to climb up roughly 8 ladders. If you are getting surrounded by the toxic spitters, you missed a ladder. You should kill those spitters though. They don't respawn.

As far as your last question, regarding the aquaduct, the place with the rat is the aquaduct. The vendor is at the opposite end as the rat. If the gate is locked you'll have to go around to unlock it. Go to the area where you fought Capra Demon, and hang a right before the demon's room. Go down the stairs and watch for ninja ambushes. Then you'll see a staircase going up. Go up the stairs and in the room and you'll be in a tower. Go to the top floor of the tower and thru the door, and you'll come to the vendor. A bit further along is a gate that will let you get to the other end with the rat.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Scrooged posted:

I'm looking to pick up sorcery as a warrior. I'd like some decent ranged spells that aren't pyromancy. Where will I be able to do this?

I wouldn't unless you are only doing it to pick up magic weapon. Using sorcery when your int is poo poo is akin to throwing snowballs at them. There is also like maybe 1 good weapon that scales passibly to both int and str. Sorcery is something best taken as a more purist int based character.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

doctor/prostitute posted:

Yeah there's a shortcut to the Valley of the Drakes if you look around up there, basically you just want to keep looking for ladders and going upwards as much as possible.

Also make sure to grab the key (I think it's in a chest at the very top of the waterwheel area, before you enter the tunnel to Valley of the Drakes).

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Here's what I did, go light enough to have the fastest sprint and roll available. Run all the way to the left one and hope you get hit just before you reach him. If you do your body should fall near the knight , he'll go into melee and take a swing, but since you are still recovering he'll miss and fall trough the hole. Turn around and move to the one on the right rolling as the arrow is about to hit you. Close up and fight him in the corner just before you reach the ledge where he was standing.

Did this but tried the right side first, and it worked out fine. Thanks to everyone who gave advice, but seriously gently caress that part 2 guys shooting giant lances at you from both sides on a small ledge was not fun at all.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I wish people wouldn't white phantom in new londo without the ring. Like 90% of the white phantoms I've taken to the boss have died immediately. All I need is one dude who knows what he's doing and I can finish this. I manage to break the boss down to like 15% on my own, but inevitably get hit in the back and die, it's so frustrating

all I want is to be a darkwraith :cry:

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Well i killed the gargoyles and rung the bell. Now what? it didn't seem to do anything.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Macksy posted:

Well i killed the gargoyles and rung the bell. Now what? it didn't seem to do anything.

Now you get to go down and ring the other one.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
I don't know how much of this would count as "spoilers" to some people, so to avoid the whiny minority I'm just going to spoil all of it.

Everywhere in this game has a reason for being there, but the painted world doesn't make any sense to me. It's not only completely optional, but it's the only completely pointless area in the game.

After you find everything you can in the place, the only real revelations are that the Goddess of Sin sent an executioner there for some reason, but then died mysteriously, and that the doll belonged to Priscilla all along. Why was a divine executioner sent in there, and why was Priscilla's beloved possession sitting in your old jail cell? There isn't even a vague connection you get from conversation with anyone in the game to make any sense of it.

Everywhere else either leads somewhere or has a purpose, even Ash Lake being so tucked away and "optional" is the home of the last Everlasting Dragon, so it has some relevance with the main plot and it lets you join a covenant with it to try and bring the race back to it's former glory.

The painted world has no covenants, no characters involved in the plot of the world, you can just up and leave at the end without even fighting a boss because you don't belong there in the first place so she tells you to just get the gently caress out, and who is this King guy anyways? The other invader BPs make sense as well, Maneater Mildred is a depraved one from the swamps, and so she ambushes you in the swamps. Kirk is a darkwraith so he just ambushes you at (scripted) random places because he's a dick. Leroy is a paladin so it makes sense that he's trying to kill anything in the catacombs just to be safe. There used to be a Dark Smith in the area, but he suffered the same fate as the Divine Smith it seems, and wouldn't really give some random pyromancer a reason to be hanging around. I guess he does use a lot of Chaos versions of the spells he casts, so maybe he just decided to show up because gently caress it, why not?

Argh, for as well thought out as both Souls games are, this one area just makes no drat sense.

And completely unrelated, whats the deal with Havel's shield, it gives you some sort of boost effect when you use the "parry", but it wears off pretty quick, and then you just can't use it again for what seems like at least a real life day? I've tried wearing all his armor, resting at bonfires, reequipping the shield, even quitting the game and starting it up again, but it's still unusable until I get home the next day and play some more. I looked at the stat sheet when I had the buff on and I didn't see any changes to any of my defenses either, so I don't even know what it does.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Palleon posted:

Now you get to go down and ring the other one.

Or take a side trip past the titanite demon at the blacksmith to Darkroot Garden.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

For what it's worth, I got one of the Egg Vermifuges from the snake-lizard things that sit on the trees in Darkroot Garden

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
So I just beat the Gaping Dragon, which was cool and all, but it gave me the Blight Key. I don't want that.

Besides that there didn't seem to be any orb drops or anything typical of a boss. The place is so smashed up to tell, so is there something else I should be looking for or just leave?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Man I love being invaded in NG+, these guys in their gold hemmed robes with fire swords invading me all the time. Guess they've never ran into the peaceful walk miracle before because every time they try and roll and I just mash them into the ground with my Zweihander of death.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Hamburger Test posted:

Decided to go explore catacombs at level 20 with my lovely Astora sword. Found a titanite demon, couldn't take him head on. Decided to see what was down the hole just before him. Well hello weak rear end black knight. With no way out I dropped down into a pit full of wheel skeletons. Welp, goodbye 5k souls and 2 humanity.

Well, I guess not. Found the blacksmith and recovered. Now to get the gently caress out, since I doubt that whatever is behind that fog door is going to be easier than the titanite demon.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

invalid posted:

So I just beat the Gaping Dragon, which was cool and all, but it gave me the Blight Key. I don't want that.

Besides that there didn't seem to be any orb drops or anything typical of a boss. The place is so smashed up to tell, so is there something else I should be looking for or just leave?

There's an item on the left side of its room, and you missed out on cutting off its tail for a weapon of some kind.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You know, after making my way through the game, I just realized that the Pygmy never really gets mentioned again after the opening. And here I thought he might have some plot relevance by the end. I guess not, unless I'm missing something.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Vatek posted:

There's an item on the left side of its room, and you missed out on cutting off its tail for a weapon of some kind.

I got the tail in one of our many fights. He usually just killed me off before I could celebrate.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Male of the Century posted:

I don't know how much of this would count as "spoilers" to some people, so to avoid the whiny minority I'm just going to spoil all of it.

Everywhere in this game has a reason for being there, but the painted world doesn't make any sense to me. It's not only completely optional, but it's the only completely pointless area in the game.

After you find everything you can in the place, the only real revelations are that the Goddess of Sin sent an executioner there for some reason, but then died mysteriously, and that the doll belonged to Priscilla all along. Why was a divine executioner sent in there, and why was Priscilla's beloved possession sitting in your old jail cell? There isn't even a vague connection you get from conversation with anyone in the game to make any sense of it.

Everywhere else either leads somewhere or has a purpose, even Ash Lake being so tucked away and "optional" is the home of the last Everlasting Dragon, so it has some relevance with the main plot and it lets you join a covenant with it to try and bring the race back to it's former glory.

The painted world has no covenants, no characters involved in the plot of the world, you can just up and leave at the end without even fighting a boss because you don't belong there in the first place so she tells you to just get the gently caress out, and who is this King guy anyways? The other invader BPs make sense as well, Maneater Mildred is a depraved one from the swamps, and so she ambushes you in the swamps. Kirk is a darkwraith so he just ambushes you at (scripted) random places because he's a dick. Leroy is a paladin so it makes sense that he's trying to kill anything in the catacombs just to be safe. There used to be a Dark Smith in the area, but he suffered the same fate as the Divine Smith it seems, and wouldn't really give some random pyromancer a reason to be hanging around. I guess he does use a lot of Chaos versions of the spells he casts, so maybe he just decided to show up because gently caress it, why not?

Argh, for as well thought out as both Souls games are, this one area just makes no drat sense.

As far as I can tell the painted world is a refuge for Priscilla, who is a half breed between (I'm speculating here but it makes sense visually) Seath and someone from whatever race the Gwyn family are. Since she's kind of a freak it would make sense that some forces would want her dead, hence the executioner and being hidden away in a dangerous world. I don't know why the doll is in your cell but I'd imagine it's linked to you being a descendant of the "dark lord" in some way. There's probably more to it than that. The painted world is just flavour for the setting and it's nice that there's some fleshed out optional areas in my opinion.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I summoned 2 phantoms into my game and we made mincemeat of those gargoyles.

This game is AWESOME. That is a very unique way of having a co-op mechanic.

So that blue phantom I keep seeing, its the same dude I saw yesterday, is that some dude in the same area as me? Same with bloodstains, they all seem to belong to him.

And the messages, this is all left behind from players?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Alteisen posted:

So that blue phantom I keep seeing, its the same dude I saw yesterday, is that some dude in the same area as me? Same with bloodstains, they all seem to belong to him.

The blue ghosts aren't just one player

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Alteisen posted:

The blue ghosts are a bunch of different players nearby on your network location (basically what random server it decided to throw you on when you booted up the game). And yes, all of the messages outside of the tutorial ones are left by others.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Egg Vermifuges are from the serpents in the trees in the garden. The dudes in the ruins don't drop anything.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

It's been a really long time since I've seen a game actually get a lot of these "you can get the big sword from that one boss if you get it to 10% health and let it live" or "you can get a super-secret O_O ending if you do this ________" sort of rumors. As in, like, OoT was the last time. Finding out about or fighting the Pygmy is going to be the new Triforce.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Spite posted:

Egg Vermifuges are from the serpents in the trees in the garden. The dudes in the ruins don't drop anything.

They do actually. I got a vermifuge the first time I killed one of the maggots that popped out of an egg burdened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Spite posted:

If by the dudes in the ruins you mean the egg carriers in the Demon Ruins, then yes they do frop Egg Vermifuges. I've gotten a bunch from them.

• Locked thread