Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Anyone know if you join a new covenant after becoming a darkwraith, can you go back to the abyss and rejoin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Yeah, you can.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
What level are people usually at the (New Londo spoilers) Four Kings boss I'm level 36 and I'm wondering if I should even bother becoming human before running down there

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

I wouldn't even try to take them on at that low of a level. You can probably get through the area ok though. Get through Anor Londo first before you try to take on that boss.

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way

DeathSandwich posted:

I wouldn't unless you are only doing it to pick up magic weapon. Using sorcery when your int is poo poo is akin to throwing snowballs at them. There is also like maybe 1 good weapon that scales passibly to both int and str. Sorcery is something best taken as a more purist int based character.
What would make a good ranged tool as a warrior then?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Agh. I am unclear how to answer Laurentius. I want him to teach me pyromancies, but his last question was "unless you find magic unsavory."

So do I answer "No" for "I don't find it unsavory" or "Yes" for "Please teach me?"

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Fellblade posted:

Man I love being invaded in NG+, these guys in their gold hemmed robes with fire swords invading me all the time. Guess they've never ran into the peaceful walk miracle before because every time they try and roll and I just mash them into the ground with my Zweihander of death.

Zweihander: gently caress subtlety.

It's not useful for every encounter, but man it kicks rear end. Or crushes it into a fine paste.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Bland posted:

As far as I can tell the painted world is a refuge for Priscilla, who is a half breed between (I'm speculating here but it makes sense visually) Seath and someone from whatever race the Gwyn family are. Since she's kind of a freak it would make sense that some forces would want her dead, hence the executioner and being hidden away in a dangerous world. I don't know why the doll is in your cell but I'd imagine it's linked to you being a descendant of the "dark lord" in some way. There's probably more to it than that. The painted world is just flavour for the setting and it's nice that there's some fleshed out optional areas in my opinion.

I actually really liked the place and loved that they put such a well made, essentially completely optional, area into the game that had a level of detail that was on par with everywhere else. I just wish there was some reason for it being there, some sort of small plot hole that was never explained in the main story and the answer was found there but you could miss it entirely if you didn't know that the place existed and still get a complete story out of the game.

It's like you're playing Dark Souls, and all of a sudden you go on this weird little acid trip where nothing really makes sense or has a rhyme or reason, but at the end of the trip the nice lady says you really shouldn't be here and that you have to go home now, and you wake up in the church in Anor Londo with a pounding headache surrounded by a bunch of men in dresses who want to stick their knives in you.

Urgan
Apr 5, 2004

I'm glad I'm not backwards
How does one pick up treasure that runs away? I smashed a barrel and a little robotic/bunny thing that was blue and glowy started to run away. Do you have to beat it over the head to pick it up?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Scrooged posted:

What would make a good ranged tool as a warrior then?

Pyromancy doesn't require any stats but it's rang is pretty short. Just get a bow.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Urgan posted:

How does one pick up treasure that runs away? I smashed a barrel and a little robotic/bunny thing that was blue and glowy started to run away. Do you have to beat it over the head to pick it up?

Those are crystal lizards and you need to kill them before they run away and disappear. Stand where it spawns, quit and load your game and it should be by your feet for an easy kill. It's worthwhile because they drop twinkling titanite and sometimes other chunks/slabs of titanite.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Lotish posted:

Agh. I am unclear how to answer Laurentius. I want him to teach me pyromancies, but his last question was "unless you find magic unsavory."

So do I answer "No" for "I don't find it unsavory" or "Yes" for "Please teach me?"

You answer No but he would have just asked if you reconsidered the next time you talk to him if you messed up

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Lotish posted:

Answer 'no', but I'm pretty sure he lets you re-ask anyway.

edit: Damnit, Bland.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Where should I go after I finish Blight Town? I really just want to be able to get to Anor Londo as soon as possible so that I can finally make this +7 longsword into a lightning longsword.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I have given a ton of Dragon Scales to the Path of Dragon Covent, like 7, and it still has not given me the Dragon Stone, is this normal? And will I have basically thrown these away for nothing if I join another covent?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Rings of Sacrifice retain souls, humanity, and human-status, right?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
^^ Souls, yes. Other status, I'm not sure.

Lotish posted:

He teaches Pyromancy. He's a cool guy.

Also, any tips for a Thief starting build?

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Urgan posted:

You found a crystal lizard. Once you aggro it, it will run a short distance away and then taunt you and burrow underground. Kill it for shards for upgrading your weapons. How they work is there is an internal counter for each one. It starts at 1, and goes up by 1 for every major boss you kill (Has a life bar). When you kill it, subtract 1 from the counter. If the counter gets to 0 the lizard will not respawn, regardless of how many bosses you kill. A nice change to these from Demon's souls, is that the counter no longer goes down if the lizard gets away without you killing it. For best results, if you know that one comes out of a barrel, leave it alone until the end of the game, and come back and farm it for a ton of shards.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The.GreyWolf posted:

He teaches Pyromancy. He's a cool guy.

Also, any tips for a Thief starting build?
For my thief I immediately got the requirements for Astora's Straight Sword (10 str, 10 dex, 14 fai) and looted it from the dragon. It's easy enough to get the 2 (I think) faith, and it's a really good sword. I got my strength to 13 for the Winged Spear, and got my strength to 14 for something I forget. I then was mostly going end > dex > vit. Recently I bumped my str to 16 for the claymore.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Penny_Dreadful posted:

I have given a ton of Dragon Scales to the Path of Dragon Covent, like 7, and it still has not given me the Dragon Stone, is this normal? And will I have basically thrown these away for nothing if I join another covent?

Yes, they will have been thrown away if you leave. It takes 30 to get the body stone. You should have gotten the head stone from joining.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Emron posted:

It's been a really long time since I've seen a game actually get a lot of these "you can get the big sword from that one boss if you get it to 10% health and let it live" or "you can get a super-secret O_O ending if you do this ________" sort of rumors. As in, like, OoT was the last time. Finding out about or fighting the Pygmy is going to be the new Triforce.

I think its been explained as said by goons so take it as you will, but if you join the darkwraiths, it is explained to you that the pygmy is/was one of the first dark lords and you are one of his descendants hence why they want you to work against gwyn and his daughters.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
When trading with the raven, can you do each trade once period, or is it once per game run? I've seen unclear information either way.

(ie. can you do a trade, quit the game, come back later, trade again - or is it one trade per item, period, for that entire playthrough)

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Male of the Century posted:

I actually really liked the place and loved that they put such a well made, essentially completely optional, area into the game that had a level of detail that was on par with everywhere else. I just wish there was some reason for it being there, some sort of small plot hole that was never explained in the main story and the answer was found there but you could miss it entirely if you didn't know that the place existed and still get a complete story out of the game.

It's like you're playing Dark Souls, and all of a sudden you go on this weird little acid trip where nothing really makes sense or has a rhyme or reason, but at the end of the trip the nice lady says you really shouldn't be here and that you have to go home now, and you wake up in the church in Anor Londo with a pounding headache surrounded by a bunch of men in dresses who want to stick their knives in you.

Supposedly, and this is hearsay at best, that location is for some story element related to (and this is a serious loving spoiler)
You being the Furtive Pygmy or a descendant or something. At least supposedly, again this is hearsay. Rumor is having the right items and not joining a covenant and enough humanity changes dialogue options with Priscilla.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Any recommendations for specific enemy in Anor Place the loving bat men with the spears that go through shield! Agh. There's one pull where you're stuck in a room with two if you can't get them one at a time. Normally I can, but I can't kill them quickly enough and there's too little space to sufficiently dodge their attacks. Battle of attrition very much stacked against me.

Shalinor posted:

When trading with the raven, can you do each trade once period, or is it once per game run? I've seen unclear information either way.

(ie. can you do a trade, quit the game, come back later, trade again - or is it one trade per item, period, for that entire playthrough)

Seems like once ever per item.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Shalinor posted:

One item period until NG+

hcenvirons posted:

Any recommendations for specific enemy in Anor Place the loving bat men with the spears that go through shield! Agh. There's one pull where you're stuck in a room with two if you can't get them one at a time. Normally I can, but I can't kill them quickly enough and there's too little space to sufficiently dodge their attacks. Battle of attrition very much stacked against me.

You can easily push them off cliffs and watch them fall to their death. Pretty funny considering they have wings and all. If there is no cliffs and really little space, you can just use iron skin and two-hand them down in one second.

big duck equals goose fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 12, 2011

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Spite posted:

Egg Vermifuges are from the serpents in the trees in the garden. The dudes in the ruins don't drop anything.

If you mean the infected in the demon ruins, they drop vermifuges too.
It was the first place I got one.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Trynant posted:

Supposedly, and this is hearsay at best, that location is for some story element related to (and this is a serious loving spoiler)
You being the Furtive Pygmy or a descendant or something. At least supposedly, again this is hearsay. Rumor is having the right items and not joining a covenant and enough humanity changes dialogue options with Priscilla.

It doesnt

e; I heard if you beat the game as a deprived without picking up any items in under 10 hours you get the bonus ending. also you have to spare sif

Bland fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 12, 2011

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004
I'm having a horrible time finding people to fight for scales. Is there a good place for that sort of thing after SL 70? I want to get the dragon body stone.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Shalinor posted:

Once per playthrough. Also going to another area and coming back isn't the best way to trade: simply visit the bonfire and walk off a cliff. Your trade loot will have spawned when you revive, but remember to grab your bloodstain.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

hcenvirons posted:

Seems like once ever per item.

There's no place where you have to fight two at once. You can always somehow attract one and kill it.
If you mean the tower area after the group of 3, keep in mind they can't enter the walkway. So if you aggro the two and run backwards, only one will be able to hit you and the other will probably fall off. Watch out for their ranged attack though.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Palleon posted:

Now you get to go down and ring the other one.
Any hints on where to go? Other than darkroot the only other place I've found has a poo poo ton of ghosts that I can't hit.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

D is That Guy posted:

You found a crystal lizard. Once you aggro it, it will run a short distance away and then taunt you and burrow underground. Kill it for shards for upgrading your weapons. How they work is there is an internal counter for each one. It starts at 1, and goes up by 1 for every major boss you kill (Has a life bar). When you kill it, subtract 1 from the counter. If the counter gets to 0 the lizard will not respawn, regardless of how many bosses you kill. A nice change to these from Demon's souls, is that the counter no longer goes down if the lizard gets away without you killing it. For best results, if you know that one comes out of a barrel, leave it alone until the end of the game, and come back and farm it for a ton of shards.

I'm nearly certain that geckos can only be killed once each in this game. At least none of my geckos have ever come back and I've killed lots of bosses.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Actually if you just quit and reload your game it works too. So you don't have to die and run back.

Edit: The above is for the crow trades.

For geckos, they don't respawn after you kill them. But unlike Demon's Souls, they DO respawn if they get away.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

I think its been explained as said by goons so take it as you will, but if you join the darkwraiths, it is explained to you that the pygmy is/was one of the first dark lords and you are one of his descendants hence why they want you to work against gwyn and his daughters.

No, I get that they're all unsubstantiated rumors, but there's all kinds of speculation that really just feels like people saying "I heard if you play the song of time in the warp spot at every temple without warping in under an hour, the back of the temple of time opens up and you can get the triforce." And that's just fine by me. It's nice having an air of mystery in a game again.

Macksy posted:

Any hints on where to go? Other than darkroot the only other place I've found has a poo poo ton of ghosts that I can't hit.

You know how you got a key? Go use it on a locked door earlier in the Burg.

Specifically, the locked door next to the dragon bridge by where Solaire was.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Bland posted:

e; I heard if you beat the game as a deprived without picking up any items in under 10 hours you get the bonus ending. also you have to spare sif

You forgot you also you need to start out with the pendent and never join any covenants. Also, you need to name your avatar Pygmy and spin circles around Priscilla for 10 minutes to unlock the ability to make your own covenant later.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Lotish posted:

Ha ha, I answered "Yes" when he asked me that, and he was very sad that I didn't want to learn pyromancies. Oops!

But he does allow you to change your mind if you ask again.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Just invaded someone as a Spirit of Vengeance.

"The guilty pay the price. Returning to your world." :black101:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

big duck equals goose posted:

You forgot you also you need to start out with the pendent and never join any covenants. Also, you need to name your avatar Pygmy and spin circles around Priscilla for 10 minutes to unlock the ability to make your own covenant later.

You also need to kill Frampt before he retreats to his hole

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Nick Biped posted:

Ha ha, I answered "Yes" when he asked me that, and he was very sad that I didn't want to learn pyromancies. Oops!

But he does allow you to change your mind if you ask again.

The best part is that if you answer "yes" the first time he gets sad, and then he does the same if you answer "no" the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Spite posted:

There's no place where you have to fight two at once. You can always somehow attract one and kill it.
If you mean the tower area after the group of 3, keep in mind they can't enter the walkway. So if you aggro the two and run backwards, only one will be able to hit you and the other will probably fall off. Watch out for their ranged attack though.

Did it. God drat ballistas! Man. I even knew it was coming.

• Locked thread