Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I shot the cat for that covenant in the rear end the first time I met it. I'd heard there were some nasty cat creatures past the door, and I was just about to go through the ruins bit where the cat was, and saw a message saying 'Beware of Left'. I do so, see the cat, freak out and run back a bit, and find another message, 'Rear'. I look around, and see the cat's tail lashing, whip out my bow, and fire. It insulted me and disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So it takes 340,500 souls to completely upgrade your pyromancy flame. That includes getting to +15 from the guy you save in the depths, and the extra +5 from the swamp chick. That doesn't take into account the price of buying any spells.

I loves me some pyromancy though. It is nice having an effective magic attack which is completely disconnected from your stats. You just need to pump a lot of souls into it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elysiume posted:

^^: Assist some people; I've gotten 20 or so from assisting.
Honestly, it's better being dead. You can't be invaded and you can recover 100% of your liquid humanity when you die, while humans lose the one that made them human. I personally stay human all of the time, because I want to foster the community.

I stay human when I'm not backtracking or scouting, if possible. Of course whenever I do go human is when I inevitably make a mistake and die.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

DeathSandwich posted:

So one of the main things I'm lamenting about in this game compared to dark souls is the lack of a crushing/tearing weapon enhancements to make basic weapons scale better to str/dex. The dex weapon doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me because there are several good fast weapons that scale to a b rating in dex by default. If you want a str weapon that scales to a b or a to str, you are looking at two things: insanely heavy and insanely slow. My str character is using a demon greataxe +13 at the moment and I just feel very vulnerable while using it, granted if I connect it really hurts , but I feel like I would just be more effective in general if I could just up a standard battle axe to A scaling in strength. Hell with the greataxe it doesn't have a knockdown with its first r2 attack, so I've been considering replacing it with the great machete or hammer so I can at least do a knockdown on demand.

Hopefully, the fact that a lot of weapons won't scale to an A or an S stat ranking with their upgrade path will get fixed in the upcoming patch. With the amount of effort it takes to +5 or +10 a stat upgrade path, I'd think that it would be warranted.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
When you start a NG+, do you get to pick your starting gifts again?
I traded in my pendant and now I'm feeling like I should have held on to it...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Filthy Monkey posted:

So it takes 340,500 souls to completely upgrade your pyromancy flame. That includes getting to +15 from the guy you save in the depths, and the extra +5 from the swamp chick. That doesn't take into account the price of buying any spells.

I loves me some pyromancy though. It is nice having an effective magic attack which is completely disconnected from your stats. You just need to pump a lot of souls into it.

I love this too. I also know people here are pretty pissed off about the lack of stat scaling, but I love it. It means you can have split stat characters (such as a 28 strength/20 faith knight) without having them be complete pieces of poo poo. Sure you might give up a handful of damage points, but you'll still be effective.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
If I don't really care about PVP so much as co-op / MP period, and just want to improve my odds of seeing another human in the game, will this strategy work?

- Go Way of the White first, so that when I drop a stone, I've got better odds of finding someone
- Go Way of the Dragon, because dammit, a Pyromancer + their special ability would be totally awesome
- Go back to Way of the White (or maybe that Sun one) once I'm done with Dragon

I've been avoiding Way of the White because I'm unclear if that'll somehow lock me out of the Dragon later / make me spend a ridiculous amount to get out of that covenant. I also kind of like the Way of the Dragon's invasions better - black phantoming is fun sometimes, but I'd feel like less of a dick if it was people summoning me for a duel.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 13, 2011

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Shalinor posted:

If I don't really care about PVP so much as co-op / MP period, and just want to improve my odds of seeing another human in the game, will this strategy work?

- Go Way of the White first, so that when I drop a stone, I've got better odds of finding someone
- Go Way of the Dragon, because dammit, a Pyromancer + their special ability would be totally awesome
- Go back to Way of the White (or maybe that Sun one) once I'm done with Dragon

I've been avoiding Way of the White because I'm unclear if that'll somehow lock me out of the Dragon later. I also kind of like the Way of the Dragon's invasions better - black phantoming is fun sometimes, but I'd feel like less of a dick if it was people summoning me for a duel.

As far as I know going Way of the White doesn't lock you out of the Dragon, I've tried out pretty much every covenant except the Dark Blade or whatever and had no problems.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Shalinor posted:

- Go back to Way of the White (or maybe that Sun one)

I've been avoiding Way of the White because I'm unclear if that'll somehow lock me out of the Dragon later. I also kind of like the Way of the Dragon's invasions better - black phantoming is fun sometimes, but I'd feel like less of a dick if it was people summoning me for a duel.

I went with the way of light and just abandoned the covenant later by talking to that Dude in the robe after the first bell. It didn't cost me a thing. Maybe the first times free?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I love this too. I also know people here are pretty pissed off about the lack of stat scaling, but I love it. It means you can have split stat characters (such as a 28 strength/20 faith knight) without having them be complete pieces of poo poo. Sure you might give up a handful of damage points, but you'll still be effective.
It is one of the reasons why I would say that pyromancer is my suggested start now. It is an effective magic, and with the lack of stat scaling you can turn a pyromancer into anything.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Zebrasectomy posted:

I went with the way of light and just abandoned the covenant later by talking to that Dude in the robe after the first bell. It didn't cost me a thing. Maybe the first times free?

Leaving a covenant has no penalty, breaking a covenant's rules is what gets you sin and the inability to rejoin. This applies to every single covenant even Darkwraiths and kaathe don't care if you leave for another group, although you have to rejoin to continue using the red-eye stone.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Last Boss Question

I just beat the final boss last night as a pure melee class using the following strategy.

Armor: Gold Inlaid Robes for Fire Resist
Shield: Black Knight Shield +4 (hope you have some twinkling titanite, it really helps!)
Weapon: Flame Winged Spear +10
Rings: Lautrec's 20% boost hp/sta/burden ring and that flower ring that boosts stamina recovery

This equipment should get you some heavy fire resist, and the black knight shield will block 95% of incoming fire damage. It also keeps you extra light for better movement and faster stamina regeneration. The extra stamina and speedy recovery helps you survive his nonstop onslaught of swings, and the upgraded shield has a good amount of stability so you aren't stamina drained in a single swing.

I managed to whittle him down by *only* attacking after the following situations:

- He attempts a grab
- He attempts a kick
- He finishes a combo with the large vertical overhead swing that leaves him open for a few seconds

If you stay on the defensive and keep backing away from him in large circles around his room, you can eventually knock him out this way. Keeping your distance from his swing is crucial, since it will do less damage (and therefore take away less stamina) if only the tip of his sword hits your shield. If you block the middle of the blade, it's going to hit hard and you risk having your guard broken and he's going to flatten you into the ground.

Occasionally, you should use his missed kicks or grabs to drink a flask, because even with the 95% fire damage reduction, his swings will slowly drain your health.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Why is every armor so bad? Or is my starter just that good? I'm still using half of my starter armor even though I've found 3 full (theoretically) good sets.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Elysiume posted:

Why is every armor so bad? Or is my starter just that good? I'm still using half of my starter armor even though I've found 3 full (theoretically) good sets.

Perhaps saying what armor you're using would help. Also gold-hemmed robes are the single best armor set in the game unless you upgrade stuff, so you probably just haven't gotten that far yet (it's past the second bell).

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

Nap Ghost
By the way, for those of you concerened with stat scaling, the club has an A rank for strength. This was done because it is a known fact that the best way to PvP is to be a naked caveman two-handing a wooden club and just smashing people into the floor.

BurningNinja posted:

Perhaps saying what armor you're using would help. Also gold-hemmed robes are the single best armor set in the game unless you upgrade stuff, so you probably just haven't gotten that far yet (it's past the second bell).

I'm not sure I'd go that far. They're really nice, especially for resistance fights, but they offer hardly any physical protection. Ornstein's Armor is fantastic versus pure physical enemies since it offers almost as much defense as Havel's, but weighs considerably less.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
So, I think I mentioned it before, but if this isn't common knowledge, there is an easy(ish) way to cheese the early skeletons in the graveyard to the left as you leave firelink:

You have to have either a heavy weapons (in particular, my character was a marauder at the time and started with the axe) whose strong attack is the overhanded vertical swing. Other weapons do it, but not as effectively. As long as you have the strength for it, you can use the morningstar you get out of the set of crates you get the first cracked red orbs from.

With one of these weapons, head to the graveyard and start kiting skeletons. Now, you can do this just as well with kicking, but if you use that overhanded attack, they fly backwards and break apart. If you start luring them to edges and use this move, they will usually clear the edge even if they are a few feet from it.

Now, I found out if you land on the giant skeletons' heads this falling-apart-ragdolling occurs. So, if you lure one of the giants to the small double-staircase, you can get them to stand below you on the lower part of the staircase (or, alternatively, you can get them to stand under the small hill ledge, it just does not always position right when you take the next step. you can also just go all the way up the stairs and stand enough off the ledge that they AI to derp below you, but they will rarely fall off the cliff from there). From this, simply walk off on the giant's head. Don't do a descending attack, it probably won't connect or even activate before you bonk the skeleton. If you're lucky, he'll fall apart, clip a little with the wall, and as a result, the in-the-wall pieces will rubberband towards the cliff, pulling the others with them.

EDIT: You can also do this to cheese a few of the first skeletons in the catacombs, but after the first... two I think, they won't follow you out far enough anymore.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

BurningNinja posted:

Thief. The Eastern helm was slightly better, so I'm using that, and the Hard Leather Armor (chest) was as well. The main issue is that Eastern needs TT, so I can't really upgrade it.

Does Elite Knight need TT?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

BurningNinja posted:

The only problem with the gold-hemmed is 0 poise.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Thief. The Eastern helm was slightly better, so I'm using that, and the Hard Leather Armor (chest) was as well. The main issue is that Eastern needs TT, so I can't really upgrade it.

Elite Knight is just normal Titanite. But the gloves are terrible.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

McTimmy posted:

Elite Knight is just normal Titanite. But the gloves are terrible.
Oh, in that case I might be able to use a few pieces. Maybe the boots; they look pretty sweet.
edit: No it's all too terrible.

edit: Can I marry Witch Beatrice? I didn't even hit the damned butterfly.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 13, 2011

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

Nap Ghost

Zebrasectomy posted:

When you start a NG+, do you get to pick your starting gifts again?
I traded in my pendant and now I'm feeling like I should have held on to it...

No, you keep the same starting gift you had. Although I never traded my pendant in so I didn't see if I had two or just kept the original one.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

It is one of the reasons why I would say that pyromancer is my suggested start now. It is an effective magic, and with the lack of stat scaling you can turn a pyromancer into anything.

I did things backwards and am slowly turning my thief into a pyromancer.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I found a firestorm spell in Blight Town while I was walking through. Was that supposed to be the Blight Town trainer? I guess she died somehow. Does she normally carry any other spells?

Elysiume posted:

The concept of armor isn't much different from weapons. It's kind of intended that you take any armor you like and begin upgrading it, as early as you want. As a result, starting armors are perfectly end-game viable.

There are sure to be differences in power level per weight, but basically there's something there for everyone including a variety of looks. I'm pretty happy with it personally once I stopped being obsessively min-max'ey about it.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I haven't really found any reason not to use the Marauder body piece with the Boar head and Black Leather (now switched to the ninja looking set, forgot the name) feet and hands. My mind will probably change once I've pumped up Endurance more, and I'm only nearly through with Blighttown so it's certainly not a mid-game option.

Speaking of Blighttown, everyone I knew told me I'd be poisoned all the time, and while the mud and flies were certainly a pain, I have only been poisoned about...3 times total? I wasted a shitton of souls on purple moss, too.

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
Gonna hang out near S&O with a sign up right near the fog door for a bit in case anyone wants to attempt it. Using my brother's gamer tag UknowwhatUR and am a level 54 pyromancer that's probably wearing the wrong/lovely armor so I'll try and tank the best I can.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Elysiume posted:

Elite knight uses standard titanite and fully upgraded its comparable defensively to havels armor with half the weight and poise.

Has anyone played with the steel armor you can buy from sen's? If that scaled to standard titanite it probably would upgrade into the best armor in the game sans poise.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR

Shalinor posted:

I've been avoiding Way of the White because I'm unclear if that'll somehow lock me out of the Dragon later / make me spend a ridiculous amount to get out of that covenant. I also kind of like the Way of the Dragon's invasions better - black phantoming is fun sometimes, but I'd feel like less of a dick if it was people summoning me for a duel.

You can actually get a red soapstone in The Painted World that does kind of the same thing as the dragon stone, except it's not bound to a covenant and you can invade anyone, not just people with Dragon Scales.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Demitri Omni posted:

So, I think I mentioned it before, but if this isn't common knowledge, there is an easy(ish) way to cheese the early skeletons in the graveyard to the left as you leave firelink:

You have to have either a heavy weapons (in particular, my character was a marauder at the time and started with the axe) whose strong attack is the overhanded vertical swing. Other weapons do it, but not as effectively. As long as you have the strength for it, you can use the morningstar you get out of the set of crates you get the first cracked red orbs from.

With one of these weapons, head to the graveyard and start kiting skeletons. Now, you can do this just as well with kicking, but if you use that overhanded attack, they fly backwards and break apart. If you start luring them to edges and use this move, they will usually clear the edge even if they are a few feet from it.

Now, I found out if you land on the giant skeletons' heads this falling-apart-ragdolling occurs. So, if you lure one of the giants to the small double-staircase, you can get them to stand below you on the lower part of the staircase (or, alternatively, you can get them to stand under the small hill ledge, it just does not always position right when you take the next step. you can also just go all the way up the stairs and stand enough off the ledge that they AI to derp below you, but they will rarely fall off the cliff from there). From this, simply walk off on the giant's head. Don't do a descending attack, it probably won't connect or even activate before you bonk the skeleton. If you're lucky, he'll fall apart, clip a little with the wall, and as a result, the in-the-wall pieces will rubberband towards the cliff, pulling the others with them.

EDIT: You can also do this to cheese a few of the first skeletons in the catacombs, but after the first... two I think, they won't follow you out far enough anymore.
Cool, but - is there any reason you'd actually want to kill those skeletons?

It appeared they didn't drop souls, and you can just run by them if your goal is to grab all the stuff in the graveyard.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What level Faith should I have in order for divine weapons to not suck? I'm still a ways off from attempting the Catacombs, but I understand divine weapons are the only way of making regenerating skeletons stay down. Will I be fine going through there with a divine weapon and my base Faith (9)?

I'm having trouble deciding between Sorcery or Miracles. I'm leaning toward Miracles because boosting Faith will actually serve another practical purpose, but some of the sorceries (homing missiles? slow fall?) you can get sound really loving cool. My character's an agile ranger type with an emphasis on light weapons and armor and bow use. What do you think would best complement my play style?

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

BurningNinja posted:

Leaving a covenant has no penalty, breaking a covenant's rules is what gets you sin and the inability to rejoin. This applies to every single covenant even Darkwraiths and kaathe don't care if you leave for another group, although you have to rejoin to continue using the red-eye stone.

Do I have to formally leave the covenant? If I join a new covenant while already enrolled in a different one will I get blacklisted?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DeathSandwich posted:

Elite knight uses standard titanite and fully upgraded its comparable defensively to havels armor with half the weight and poise.

Has anyone played with the steel armor you can buy from sen's? If that scaled to standard titanite it probably would upgrade into the best armor in the game sans poise.
Wow, this gets so much better so quickly. Why? It seems to be increasing really quickly. It's a lot better than I thought at first!

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Zebrasectomy posted:

Do I have to formally leave the covenant? If I join a new covenant while already enrolled in a different one will I get blacklisted?

No, joining a new one automatically abandons the old one safely.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Shalinor posted:

It appeared they didn't drop souls, and you can just run by them if your goal is to grab all the stuff in the graveyard.

If you're going into the catacombs you probably don't want a Skeleton train following you down.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

EDIT: ^ Depending on how you do it, most of them do reset once you area transition, and most people going there are sprinting like hell anyway so that's a non-issue.

Shalinor posted:

I am not great at the running-in-and-out that a lot of people are good at in the 'souls, so I tend to just find ways to cheese the enemies that are there. I had an easier (and arguably more fun) time doing that than trying to sprint in between all the dudes to get those items.

EDIT: Also, the giants drop a respectable amount of early game souls, and if you get used to the above method (and are used to retarded crowd control), you can just kite-n-knock a skeleton train while the giant leashes, or have the giant follow you while the others leash.

Aqua_D fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 13, 2011

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Zebrasectomy posted:

If you're going into the catacombs you probably don't want a Skeleton train following you down.

They leash.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Elysiume posted:

I just started using Elite instead of my Thief stuff. The arms/legs armor is basically the same stats but a lot more poise. I think I have something like 42 poise with the full set compared to 8 (or 0? can't remember) for the thief stuff. With Lautrecs ring and upgraded endurance I'm under 50% encumbrance too which is nice. The clanking noise you make constantly is really annoying me though

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The next time I die without a Ring of Sacrifice, I really don't think I'm going to unhollow until I absolutely need to. Getting invaded by a dude I can't lock onto who slips behind me and one-shots me? Fun.
edit: The tips are amazing, but they're less good than getting invaded is bad. Goodbye for now, online mode.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 13, 2011

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Elysiume posted:

The next time I die without a Ring of Sacrifice, I really don't think I'm going to unhollow until I absolutely need to. Getting invaded by a dude I can't lock onto who slips behind me and one-shots me? Fun.
edit: The tips are amazing, but they're less good than getting invaded is bad. Goodbye for now, online mode.

If you're afraid of invasions, bring phantoms to help you out. Also if you've got a bunch of humanity items, it can be worth unhollowing to kindle whatever bonfire you keep respawning at.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I wish someone would invade me, I'm nearly half way through the game on my new character and I've spent the entire time in human form but I still haven't been invaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Spiffo posted:

If you're afraid of invasions, bring phantoms to help you out. Also if you've got a bunch of humanity items, it can be worth unhollowing to kindle whatever bonfire you keep respawning at.
There were zero sigils on the ground. No phantoms available. I don't have many humanity items, but I do have 24 pooled humanity, which is why I'd rather not be getting pk'd.

• Locked thread