Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I'm playing RF1 right now, and how the heck do I get my monsters to do anything? I keep telling them to harvest crops and they don't :( I brush them everyday and they have plenty of food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Man, I kind of feel bad for what I did last night in Tides. Had accessories selling high on the same day the general store and inn had their monthly sale. So many scarves were knitted.

I can't assign any monsters to winter island. I've got Spring at 100% and winter at 10%, and I don't know whats up with not being able to place the ghost there.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Man, I kind of feel bad for what I did last night in Tides. Had accessories selling high on the same day the general store and inn had their monthly sale. So many scarves were knitted.

I can't assign any monsters to winter island. I've got Spring at 100% and winter at 10%, and I don't know whats up with not being able to place the ghost there.

Don't feel bad, knitting scarves is literally one of the only ways to grind accessories without ludicrous amounts of effort. You already make profit between buying yarn and making it into a scarf.

There should be 4 bars below the percentage on an island. Is there at least one orange bar on the winter island? You need to revive the island to basic functionality before you can store monsters there.

Also :drat: at the final boss. Tackling the Legendary Golem with your own Golem was too cool. It's just a shame you have to listen to the entirety of "SPIRIT OF LIFE, HEAR MY SONG~" through the fight instead of "AT THE START OF CREATION~". The Masked Man was a much better singer than any of the girls.
My tip is to actually stop and investigate whenever Sonja says "I think I saw something..." or "Did you see that light?!" while moving around on the ocean. You'll be glad you actually killed that 20th Squid when you reach the end game.

e: :sbahj: That wasn't even the final boss, the actual fight is ridiculous. It's also immediately obvious how it was going to turn out but poo poo

e2: :siren: Get all villagers to friend level 6 before going to fight the final boss :siren: This came completely out of left field but it's really god drat important all of a sudden. I wish I had known, but oh well :negative:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 13, 2011

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I had a 20% sale at the Pharmacy and grasses were in high demand. I bought grasses for 16g, sold them for 15g, but I could haggle them up to 21g. I literally had to do nothing but fill my inventory with stacks of grass and resell them, without moving an inch, and I'd make something like a 25% profit every time. One stack bought for 1584g and resold for 2079g. :stare:

Needless to say, I maxed my house that day, especially since James also has carpentry sales on that day. "Thank you very much!"

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Here is a map you guys might enjoy. Pulled it from some guy on the Gamefaqs boards (While there is some good interest there, it is mostly a bunch of poo poo like most of that site.)

Map of all the X spot islands in the ocean http://i.imgur.com/bfIpo.jpg I think some might be hidden islands too, but I don't know.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
So I just started Tides of Destiny for the PS3, and one thing that struck me as odd compared to RF3 is that I don't seem to have any ability to put the cursor over my skills and see what the hell they actually do (despite the prompt to hit square to change over). Does anyone have a list of all the skills in the game, or what the actual benefits are (or even a partial)? For example, what the heck does walking do? When I hit level 2, I seemed to gain 1hp, does it scale up that slowly the whole way?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Palleon posted:

So I just started Tides of Destiny for the PS3, and one thing that struck me as odd compared to RF3 is that I don't seem to have any ability to put the cursor over my skills and see what the hell they actually do (despite the prompt to hit square to change over). Does anyone have a list of all the skills in the game, or what the actual benefits are (or even a partial)? For example, what the heck does walking do? When I hit level 2, I seemed to gain 1hp, does it scale up that slowly the whole way?

You're also not able to highlight ingredients in crafting menus (which is very handy for finding how profitable things are.)

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I also don't understand why I don't have the ability to move the camera with the right stick. Just being able to slam the camera in front of me does not help with the sometimes quite poor camera angles. Kind of an unforgivable sin with a game made now to have no camera control.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
Tides question: Can I re-fight bosses?

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
One thing I don't like so far about tides is that it's really only optimized for the move. It's annoying how you can't do things like rotate the camera with the right stick.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Anyone know of an island with the Dark Unicorns? I found a shrine with them, but they love running into the lava and dieing before I can tame them.

Edit: Found one. Now I have a level 63 monster to fight along side my level 23 rear end.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 14, 2011

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Dana Crysalis posted:

Tides question: Can I re-fight bosses?

Not that I've found. Going back to where they were does nothing, though you might check out the warp tiles at the bottom of a shrine, I've never examined them all to see if the option might be there.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

So I haven't played enough to truly confirm this but it seems like there isn't any post-game content after destroying the final boss and finishing the final story event aside from getting married, managing crops, and finishing up your social ties with the non-main villagers.

This game was incredibly quick to deliver a swift kick to my nuts after I was able to start courting, as Mikoto (my planned bachelorette) immediately cuts off her hair to show the world that she is a girl and not a boy (????) and the haircut looks like absolute rear end once you reach Friend Level 7. Why do you keep doing this to me, Tides?! :negative:

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
I've been playing RF3 and loving it. I've got a few questions though, if any of you guys can answer them.

I'm having a hard time getting my romantic relationships past 5 hearts. Do I just need to complete tasks for the girl I want to court (trying to decide between carmen and raven and maybe karina is tough) or is there some sort of other way to get past this plateau? Like, do I just need to keep spamming gifts on them?

Also, is it possible to re-fight bosses and get more items like that raccoon leaf thing or am I hosed chest percentage-wise if I use it to upgrade something?

Does bronze only spawn in the desert and higher level areas than that, silver in the next one up, etc? I can't find any goddam bronze in the forest but I occasionally find some in the desert.

Overall a great game and way better than rune Factory 1, which i rented, played for a few hours and gave up on. Been doing pretty well on the combat with it set to hard from the beginning except for occasionally when something will just get a random 1-hit-kill on me and I'll be like "WHAT THE gently caress ALL OF THE OTHER ENEMIES DO LIKE 20 DAMAGE WHY DID THAT ONE DO 420"

Oh, and Evelyn's voice actress is rear end.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I've been playing RF3 and loving it. I've got a few questions though, if any of you guys can answer them.

I'm having a hard time getting my romantic relationships past 5 hearts. Do I just need to complete tasks for the girl I want to court (trying to decide between carmen and raven and maybe karina is tough) or is there some sort of other way to get past this plateau? Like, do I just need to keep spamming gifts on them?

Also, is it possible to re-fight bosses and get more items like that raccoon leaf thing or am I hosed chest percentage-wise if I use it to upgrade something?

Does bronze only spawn in the desert and higher level areas than that, silver in the next one up, etc? I can't find any goddam bronze in the forest but I occasionally find some in the desert.

Overall a great game and way better than rune Factory 1, which i rented, played for a few hours and gave up on. Been doing pretty well on the combat with it set to hard from the beginning except for occasionally when something will just get a random 1-hit-kill on me and I'll be like "WHAT THE gently caress ALL OF THE OTHER ENEMIES DO LIKE 20 DAMAGE WHY DID THAT ONE DO 420"

in order asked:

1. Keep talking to them each day and giving gifts. Always get cologne when you can from Shara.

2. Yes. I think you can go back and fight the raccoon right away but I think theres something that makes you complete the next dungeon before you fight the old boss. Or maybe thats just for the desert one.

3. Yes

Also this is full of nifty info you may not have known about RF3

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008

I don't remember whether there was some point where the affection would stop going up completely, but doing all their requests is definitely a good idea. You have to do them anyway, I'm pretty sure, to advance all the way to getting married/etc.

You can re-fight the bosses as many times as you want. Just go back to the room where you fought him originally.

I can't say for sure, but I believe that you do find better stuff the higher-level the area you're in is. Though I would imagine you could at least get bronze in the forest, if you're only finding it in the desert then maybe that is the lowest level place to find it in. Sometimes you get crafting mats from doing requests, too.

Yeah, it's not exactly stellar, but after playing RF2, RF3's voice acting is Oscar-worthy by comparison. I don't even remember her name but the stupid fortune-teller, jesus christ. The most grating voice ever, and I remember you can hear the voice actress almost lose it when she's shouting "Sim sim sim sala bim!" or something like that. Incredibly stupid line, granted, but I'd take Evelyn over that any day.

Anyway, that turned into kind of a rant but what I'm saying is thank God we have Rune Factory 3.

Quick question on RF Tides; I'm getting the feeling that you cannot take any of the islanders with you to go kill monsters and such, is that true? I know you can take monsters with you, but it's just not the same. Obviously none of them will shout "RAINBOW" while casting completely useless magic, but it would be awesome to take 'em with me; even moreso since some of them actually wear equipment you give them. Bacchus will get the biggest axe I can forge and Lily can have the pumpkin head. For safety, you see. :eng101:

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Uncle Wemus posted:

Also this is full of nifty info you may not have known about RF3

That part about the Crystal Flower seeds being available after the last boss is false (it's after the Ice Dungeon) but otherwise this is very useful.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

ApproachingInfinity posted:

Quick question on RF Tides; I'm getting the feeling that you cannot take any of the islanders with you to go kill monsters and such, is that true? I know you can take monsters with you, but it's just not the same. Obviously none of them will shout "RAINBOW" while casting completely useless magic, but it would be awesome to take 'em with me; even moreso since some of them actually wear equipment you give them. Bacchus will get the biggest axe I can forge and Lily can have the pumpkin head. For safety, you see. :eng101:

Nope, no human party members.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I played the original Harvest Moon for SNES a long loong time ago and it seems the game has become kind of overwhelmingly iterated in the time since I played this last. As far as I remember the game was a "Cow-milking/Impregnating" simulator. How has the game kind of evolved (in brief please) since then and if I wanted to get in on one of these games which one should I hope into. Also whats the deal with this Rune Factory game, is there a competent one on the DS (because gently caress the 3DS).

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

I played the original Harvest Moon for SNES a long loong time ago and it seems the game has become kind of overwhelmingly iterated in the time since I played this last. As far as I remember the game was a "Cow-milking/Impregnating" simulator. How has the game kind of evolved (in brief please) since then and if I wanted to get in on one of these games which one should I hope into. Also whats the deal with this Rune Factory game, is there a competent one on the DS (because gently caress the 3DS).

Rune Factory basically trades out the intricacies of animal-raising for an Action-RPG system with leveling, stats, equipment and crafting. The best title is either Tides for Wii/PS3 or Rune Factory 3 for DS.
E: Rune Factory Frontier for Wii is also a really great iteration if you have a homebrew-enabled Wii so you can cheat the overbearing micro-management element that drives much of the gameplay.

The traditional Harvest Moon games haven't terribly changed much except for things being slightly more complicated and fleshed out with additional ease-of-life convenience systems. I believe the latest one is Twin Towns for DS.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 14, 2011

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else

Rexicon1 posted:

In my opinion, the latest Harvest Moon games are equal part farming and social/relationship building sims. They used to have marriage as a recreational thing but now it takes more center stage. In order to obtain certain crops, animals and tools, you have to be more involved in the lives of the people who live in your village but really, unless you want to get married you can stick to attending festivals and achieve the same thing, albeit at a much slower pace. Even before the latest DS game which literally allows you to choose if you would rather farm crops or animals, the recent games reward you a bit if you want to go in depth with one over another. For example, "unlocking" animals by raising certain animals.

It's still a pretty simple game if all you want to do is farm. But if you want, now there are a lot more things you can add to your day.

The most recent DS HM games both have a gimmick, so to speak. Grand Bazaar exchanges the traditional method of chucking your goods into a shipping bin and gives you a booth at the local flea market every weekend instead. I actually loved that after I got passed being pissed about being broke mid-week all the time very early on. Tale of two Towns (which I am currently playing) has two side by side towns and you choose which one to live in. Each has their pros and cons as you can't have equal parts agriculture and husbandry in it, although you can still farm crops and raise animals regardless of which side you choose.

Sorry, that wasn't that brief.

Andenalli fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 14, 2011

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
Anyone have a list of prizes for the lottery in Tides? I remember hearing there's recipe books in some months, so I am paranoid about missing Spring's.

As far as I can tell, Spring has...

1st: Stinger Rage
2nd: Lover Snapper
3rd: Turnip Head
4th: Recovery Potion
5th: Bamboo Shoot

Are these always the same or should I keep trying for multiple 2nd places?

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Dana Crysalis posted:

Are these always the same or should I keep trying for multiple 2nd places?
They're the same. Summer has Mixer 2 recipe and I think Winter has some S recipe (Neck?). Not sure about Fall.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Just started playing Tides and so far the biggest improvement I've seen is the loading time between screen. I don't know how I stood in in Frontier.

Also, is Mikoto a guy or a girl? I really don't know.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Vakal posted:

Just started playing Tides and so far the biggest improvement I've seen is the loading time between screen. I don't know how I stood in in Frontier.

Also, is Mikoto a guy or a girl? I really don't know.

A girl

e:I actually thought the same too until Emalde confirmed their gender, I guess Sonja actually couldn't tell the difference and assumed male when you first meet them.

Eigo fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 15, 2011

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Eigo posted:

A girl

So I'm guessing there is a reason Sonja calls her a 'he' then.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
I haven't been able to play Tides as much as I've wanted to this past week and have gotten back in the saddle today.

For Deathsmiles Reject Pandora, the tribute she wants is a stuffed animal, correct? Do I have to grind until I can make a stuffed wooly or is there another way arround this?

E: Nevermind, apparently you can give her a toy duck instead. I have yet to find any teardrops though. :argh:

I Watson fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 15, 2011

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Tides is pretty brutal. Killed by a sheep in 2 hits, on the first island, and now I have a cold :wtc:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Yeah, what is with those things? I'll be running around an island where all the inhabitants are plinking away at my health with maybe 8 damage a hit, and then out of nowhere some Dire Wooly jumps up and snuggles my face for 100 hit points. How is it that this game is causing me to flee woolys on sight?

And yet I still can't bring myself to intentionally attack them because it just feels so mean. :(

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Those aren't just any Woolies - you'll occasionally happen across a light-elemental gate which spawns a single super-powerful enemy when you break it. These gates do NOT spawn enemies if left alone, so it's really just best to avoid them.

The ones in the earth shrine sometimes spawn Earth Elementals, though (they look like little yellow fairies). Dangerous as all hell, but if you can actually tame one they make amazing allies and farmers.

Phlogistic fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 15, 2011

Emalde
May 3, 2007

I Watson posted:

E: Nevermind, apparently you can give her a toy duck instead. I have yet to find any teardrops though. :argh:

Ducks drop teardrops. It makes sense when you think about it. :v:

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
I like how the towns people say their "you haven't spoke to me in a while" text if I don't speak to them every two days.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Agnostic watermelon posted:

I like how the towns people say their "you haven't spoke to me in a while" text if I don't speak to them every two days.

I know, stupid needy little buggers LOOK SOMETIMES I WANT TO GO AWAY AND KILL MONSTERS FOR A WHILE.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Still playing RF3.

Raven was standing around in my house when I came home really late. :stare:
Does she just stand there watching me sleep? We're not even in a relationship.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Raven was standing around in my house when I came home really late. :stare:
Does she just stand there watching me sleep? We're not even in a relationship.

What you mean you aren't into socially-maladjusted, awkward, creepy women?

Dana Crysalis posted:

I know, stupid needy little buggers LOOK SOMETIMES I WANT TO GO AWAY AND KILL MONSTERS FOR A WHILE.

Haven't touched Tides yet, but this could get tiresome after a while, if not quite annoying.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Saoshyant posted:

Haven't touched Tides yet, but this could get tiresome after a while, if not quite annoying.

It doesn't harm your ratings or anything, just causes an extra line of dialogue when you do finally talk to them. But yeah, a trifle annoying that it only takes two days.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I don't mind it. I like knowing if I'm failing to talk to people I'm trying to befriend. Lets me know I need to focus on it more.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Revol posted:

I don't mind it. I like knowing if I'm failing to talk to people I'm trying to befriend. Lets me know I need to focus on it more.

I don't really mind it either, it's just that it's super easy to not talk to people for two days in the early game (especially if you keep getting you rear end kicked by the first boss :argh:).

They could have made it atleast a week.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
What the hell. I decided to try to upgrade the level of crops I can buy from vendors, so I bought one seed of every type of flower and one seed of every fall veggie (it's fall in my game) and planted them all in a row.

They were nice and watered and it was even raining when I went to bed, and I woke up and it's nearly entirely withered grass. What the hell did I do wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

In ToTT, has anyone noticed if there's a consequence (such as a friendship hit) for just not showing up to the cooking competitions? I know you can just sit back and watch, but it'd be nice if I could speed things up and just go to bed early.

• Locked thread